main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT “Adventure – heh. Excitement – heh. A Jedi craves not these things.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by ExiIe, Oct 18, 2014.

1. ExiIe

ExiIe Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 11, 2014
    - yoda in Episode V. And yet star war always has adventures. why exactly is that against the jedi code? Unless jedi have different brain wiring it would be impossible for a human not to have emotions like that

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    "Adventure" has a very flexible definition

I believe what Yoda meant by that is that a Jedi goes out on journeys to protect peace and the people, not for fun or just because they can

3. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Yoda was referring to self-restraint over recklessness, focusing on the present rather than dreaming of the future, and being calm and at peace rather than anxious and ambitious. Just because people have those emotions doesn't mean they have to always give in to them. It's all about self-control, and how keeping a cool and collected mind will allow you to conquer the dark side.

4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It's this part especially that I really like; it shows just how much he learned from Qui-Gon as his apprentice

5. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    Those who want adventure and excitement are usually looking for treasure, glory and the like, which are not Jedi traits.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

[​IMG]

"Fortune and glory."

But yeah, Luke was wanting something that was not the Jedi way. He dreamed of a life of adventure which Jedi do no seek. They go where they go and do their best to act selflessly in the pursuit of helping others. Not because they want to show off their Lightsaber skills.

Andy Wylde, CT-867-5309 and Seagoat like this.
  7. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Compare what Yoda says there with chapter 80 of the Tao te Ching (or really with any of it). There seems to be some similarity. Both are boiling it down to aphorism-status, but I think sinister is right in contrasting 'right living' against a life of deliberately seeking 'fortune and glory.'

8. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Yeah, I think this one's been pretty much cleared up with all the responses thus far. I might only add that adventure is something that befalls a Jedi regardless, as an inherent result of their life-devotion to effecting the world around them in the name of "peace and justice". To be a Jedi is, in part, to be wayfaring; to constantly find yourself in the path of danger and/or amidst the new and unknown. Adventure is then inevitable. So what Yoda is stressing is the compass of virtue, values and discipline.

Andy Wylde and Valairy Scot like this.
  9. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    The quote in the topic, you need to look at what was said before it...

"This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless."

This is in direct reference to Luke's behavior in Episode 4, him wanting to leave the boring life of the farm, to go to the Academy. Craving adventure and excitement is a forward looking action, keeping you from living in the present(where he was, what he was doing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Darth Chagaros

Darth Chagaros Jedi Youngling

Oct 21, 2014
    They are human traits. It explains why the Jedijugend corps exist, so they can shape them into something inhuman.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  11. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    Lust is a human trait too, but Jedi are expected to surpress it.

Andy Wylde and Darth Ardyti like this.
  12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Exactly. To be a Jedi, one must have the most serious mind and deepest commitment. It is a hard life and one with no reward. Luke had desires which is not characteristic of a Jedi. That's part of the reason the Jedi trained those from a young age, so that they would know only a life of a Jedi and they would understand why such feelings are wrong for a Jedi.

Andy Wylde and Darth Ardyti like this.
  13. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I think the important word in that quote is 'craves'. A Jedi doesn't desire adventures and excitement. His or her focus is elsewhere. In achieving his or her goals he or she may inevitably encounter these things, but they are not the focus.

14. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    One of my favorite quotes in the saga. I think it's simple when Jedi are on adventures it's usually do to trouble they are trying to stop. I believe luke thinks the life of a Jedi is supposed to be fun and exciting when in reality the Jedi just want calm peaceful life's.

15. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Yoda was endeavoring to keep Luke from being a thrill seeker. Anakin Skywalker was a prime example of someone who enjoyed adventure too much and look where he ended up.

16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I don't think it was Anakin's enjoyment of adventure that put him where he ended up, but I get what you're saying.

17. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    As said before, Yoda's just saying that Jedis dedicate their lives to preserving the peace in the galaxy, not to go on wild escapades for fortune and glory. Basically be like Obi-Wan, not Han Solo. Han's decidedly not a role model Luke needs to follow if he wished to be a good Jedi.

18. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    As CaptainHamYoyo pointed out, it's not an isolated line:

He's not really talking about the Jedi not having anything to do with adventure and excitement - he's simply talking about Luke, and how his mentality is not yet in sync with that of a true Jedi. Luke's priorities just aren't right at that point - hence why it's time for Yoda to give him some proper training.
    It's been brought up in other threads, but all of Yoda's 'rejections' of Luke (too old, too reckless) are merely little tests to gauge his reactions and commitment to becoming a Jedi Knight. He never really had any intention of turning him away, he just wanted Luke to abandon whatever romantic ideas he had of what being a Jedi really meant (hence Yoda's first little epigram of "Wars not make one great").

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

No, but it did cloud his reasons for wanting to leave Tatooine in the first place. He did tell Qui-gon that he wanted to explore the galaxy and visit every world that was out there. By the time of the Clone Wars, he was at home fighting in the war because of his abilities and willingness to end the war. He even had the title of the Hero Without Fear during the final weeks of the war.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  20. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I am aware of all of that. I would be concerned that a child of his age had nothing clouding him before he started his training. The public gave him that title, but he wasn't fearless by any means. His secret wife left him open to fear and he was turned due to that and his lust for power.

Kato Sai likes this.
  21. theman54

theman54 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 26, 2005
    What's so hard to believe about it? Plenty of people don't have a great/fun time whenever they have to go around getting in dangerous situations. Not sure what the problem is here.

Kato Sai likes this.
  22. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    theman54, you make a point that films avoid: peril is not pleasurable! When people almost get eaten by a Sarlaac, nearly plunge to their death off a cliff, and suffer a plethora of other perils; they are not having a good time!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Indeed. It's a misconception that adventures are fun. There can be elements that trigger excitement but usually adventures are hazardous endeavors full of risk, danger, and often times death.

Kato Sai likes this.
  24. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Among the Clouds sums it up nicely. Yoda is purposely trying to sway Luke away from the temptations of the Dark Side, he does not want a repeat of Anakin with Luke.

25. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    What he means is that to have the desire to be a Jedi SIMPLY just to go on adventures is not the correct reason for committing oneself to living by the Jedi code...this is a no brainer...a Jedi is the upholder of peace...peace in the galaxy and in oneself...if you want adventure JOIN THE SITH...hehe