main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “Let's Fly!” - Star Trek: Discovery [Paramount+/Netflix/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It also doesn't just depend on when it's set but where it is set. There might be certain continuity restrictions when dealing with familiar territories like with the Klingons and Cardassians but the mission for this crew could be off elsewhere in the Alpha/Beta Quadrants, dealing with an entirely new system of conflicts- ones of immediate importance but not to the point where their absence of mention later on is out of place (I mean, think about all the crazy TOS stuff that isn't mentioned again in the TNG era- you'd think the Doomsday Machine and its planetary victims would at least be worth mentioning at some point).

For all we know, Discovery is exploring the worlds within a new region of space in the Alpha Quadrant known as the Alkaline Expanse or the Feral Drift or or Folded Space or whatever. When they're not lost on the other side of the galaxy, these smaller ships tend to have more specific missions than flagships like the Enterprise.

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Diggy

Bond hasn't done a prequel yet. Nor did Batman.

3. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

I'm guessing they would be best described as reboots in that case?

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Well, since they rebooted continuity... yes.

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I should report you for that.

Ender Sai likes this.
  6. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm really surprised that they didn't so something in the Abramsverse, especially since Kurtzman is on board.

7. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    That's...... Not what I would necessarily consider a good thing though.

Personally, I'm glad they aren't. We've had TOS and six movies set in that era, and that's not including the three movies we've had in the Kelvin timeline. I'm not really all that keen over the prospect of the show being set before TOS either.

The2ndQuest

What day are we supposed to find out some more details on the show?

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The rumor was Wed the 10th

9. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    I think that's improbable.

His voice is famous in Germany for his dubbing of Data and other roles, played by Brent Spiner in Star Trek (Arik Soong in Enterprise for example).

I also doubt that they would use Spiner's voice just for the ship computer. It would be more reasonable to bring him back as a crew member.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I forgot there were Borg in Enterprise even though that makes no goddamned sense. Only Trek show I never got into besides DS9.

11. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    What they did with the Borg was awful, beginning with Descent.

I hate the whole species assimilation thing, beginning with First Contact. Before the Borg were just interested in technology.

In part one of BOBW, it seemed they just wanted humanity or the UFP to produce technology for them and even in the second part it appeared at least to me that the assimilation of humanity was the exception and not the rule.

Similar to the Borg as they were presented in Peter David's Vendetta Novel.

Edit: The Queen and Voyager's use of the Borg are things not worthy to speak about at best.

I've forgotten about Locutus threatening Worf with the assimilation of the Klingons. But it appeared to be a behavior change for the Borg and sadly was retconned later into a standard procedure.

When the Borg appeared in Q Who they were unique and fascinating. A true collective species that was not interested in the typical allusions of conquest and power, just in things to use. But the producers turned them later into mere space zombies

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  12. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I think the Borg has been fairly consistent. Bring order to chaos in the pursuit of perfection through absorbing and thus conquering a species. The issue is that no one really ever had the chance to oppose the Borg before the Federation, and eliminating the Federation would have meant getting rid of the the major unifying factor to their version of order. Saying that they were interested in technology is pretty simplistic in analysis given their appearance and conduct spanning across the franchise.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    IIRC, it was just the survivors from First Contact. Haven't seen the actual episode yet though.

It'd actually be more reasonable for him to be just the voice- Spiner would be more likely to embrace a voice over role in the series then commit to being a full series regular (though a guest star appearance like he did on ENT wouldn't be out of the question).

Plus, a voice role as a computer/AI would perhaps fit into the Soong timeline as being a predecessor to a full android, should this be set prior to TNG as has been rumored.

And, if this is post-Nemesis, implementing Data's voice as the ship's computer somehow (via B4's legacy) could also work out (though I'd prefer to preserve the idea of Captain Data from Countdown).

Darth Caliban likes this.
  14. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    I was talking about Maurice Hurley's original and imho superior concept from Q Who.

Edit: I wish they could retcon the later "Borg" into another species.

15. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    You're right. But i'm pretty sure that

Spiner's involved with Discovery, if they have asked Michael Pan. They wouldn't have contacted him to speak for another actor.

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It was. They also mentioned that Zephram had brought them up, but everyone dismissed it as something he made up when drinking.

The only really egregious alien appearance was the Ferengi, which the producers admitted was a mistake.

17. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Yeah, it actually still made sense in the timeline with the way they did it. One of the very few good Enterprise episodes worth watching IMO.

18. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, other than the convenient lack of identification by those particular Borg, Regeneration ultimately amounts to little more than a predestination paradox. I had more problems with the Klingons and Rura Penthe, which goes a long way toward stepping on the toes of TUC.

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Regeneration I concur works fine, and I think the episode goes a long way to making the Borg menacing after Voyager kind of twhomped on them in a few episodes. (Trip has the best line of the episode when he's looking over the Borg'ed out ship specs with "I don't even WANT to know what this thing is!")

I think the Klingon court and Rura Penthe as presented in Judgement fit in pretty well with TUC. Although Rura Penthe in Judgement is basically just, like, a cave and an entrance. Let's just say it was the back door where Archer went out of. Or they built it up in the intervening 100 years.

I was also initially surprised about that but I think a lot of that has to do with the CBS / Paramount split with TV vs. movies. I'd wager one of the reasons CBS wants to make this show is to have something stand completely apart from Parmamount Star Trek movie content (which is peppered throughout all the TV series, especially in the TNG era)

20. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I wasn't referring to how the Kilingons and Rura Penthe were portrayed, but the fact it happened in the first place, which stepped on the toes of TUC.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    By introducing it before TUC?

22. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    To a certain extent, but more importantly basically redoing that plot point from TUC, which steps on the facts established in TUC, i.e. the first time a Starfleet captain has been imprisoned and escaped from the Klingons. Though I guess it could be argued that Earth Starfleet isn't the same as Federation Starfleet, but that is just semantics. It goes back to those limitations placed on dancing around established time periods such as pre-TOS or post-TUC and pre-TNG.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Their kinda stuck there regardless- a Starfleet Captain probably wouldn't end up there after the Khitomer Accords either.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    DaddlerTheDalek and jabberwalkie like this.
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's also not Star Trek without Jerry Goldsmith. :_|

Sarge likes this.