main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST “You changed your hair”

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by StartCenterEnd, Nov 15, 2020.

1. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Can someone explain to me the meaning behind this line and why it’s reprised every time someone sees Leia for the first time in a while? Is it just playing on general audiences remembering Leias iconic buns from ANH ignoring that she’s been changing her hairstyle all through the OT and even in the last scene of ANH? I heard someone comment that it was supposed to mean she is lesbian now? Both Luke and Han comment that her hair is different now but it’s nothing remarkable and as I pointed out she’s always changing her hair...

2. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    It's the mundane, but sweet, way old flames/friends talk to each other. You've never heard/made this kind of talk in real life?

3. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, considering Leia had a whole bunch of different haircuts in the OT, it’s meant to just be some visual change that strikes Han more than anything else... which is pretty sweet overall, since it shows that his mental image of her has matured alongside her, signifying the emotional and deep level of their relationship rather than simple shallow admiration of her beauty.

4. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    I thought it was a sweet comment from Han in TFA, given their history. Luke saying it to her in TLJ was cringe-worthy, IMO.

5. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    I thought Leia said it to Luke. No?

MarcJordan and lovethedarkside like this.
  6. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    I thought it was dumb both times. Luke can't even show up in person and they talk about...hair. Han and Leia separate in terrible circumstances and that's his opening. It's crap writing from JJ and Larry, who apparently both hated Han and Leia together (Kasdan is on record) and a stupid echo from Rian Johnson.

Blackhole E Snoke and ezekiel22x like this.
  7. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    You're right, I think. She puts the words in his mouth. I stand corrected. It may have been a Carrie Fisher improv. Not a good line in any event.

8. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Love that scene its lit so beautifully lit

MarcJordan likes this.
  9. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The interesting thing about that exchange in TFA is that it shows Han in a softer place, emotionally, than Leia. He seems a bit sentimental (affected, of course, by seeing Kylo leaving), while Leia's state of mind is more that of a general on a mission.
    Hence the curt "Same jacket", which isn't really unkind, just a bit of affectionate teasing that shows she's on her guard.

Leia always had a toughness about her, but the interactions between these two in TFA shows that they've come a long way since "I wonder if he really cares about anything... or anybody". It's obvious that Han has a harder time handling his emotions, which is why he walked away from everything.

10. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    It was the best line(s) and best parts in the whole sequel trilogy. Natural and completely authentic. Movie magic. Economy of dialogue.

MarcJordan, Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought the scene itself was great, a sweet brother/sister reunion scene after so long. I didn’t think much about the line but it did seem that scene’s version of “New jacket.” “Same jacket.”

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Mundane sitcom level stuff for me. Almost painfully generic.

13. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    It was a good line. No more cheesy then the “I love you...I know” reprise in RotJ.

14. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I'm only surprised they didn't reuse I love you.... I know with Ben and Leia, would've been an interesting take.

15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I thought it was nice. They are two people that love each other, commenting on eachother's appearance in their own way, after having not seen eachother for a long time. It shows how closely they know eachother as well-there's history there.

Sarge and darthfettus2015 like this.
  16. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    It's not a bad line per se, but I don't think it's nuanced enough to convey the complicated feelings of an estranged couple. That whole scene is too abbreviated, trying to get too much done between a reunion, catching up on developments, reconciliation. There is a lot going on and it needed to play out longer.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    darthfettus2015 likes this.
  17. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    I thought Leia pointed that out in a way because she noticed that Luke's own hair had changed (complete with a goatee brown beard). She knows (being his sister) he's not really there but no one else the wiser.

MJ

jaimestarr likes this.
  18. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    That's ... actually something I never thought of before, and an interesting take on the scene. Through the Force alone it would seem likely she knows he's not actually physically there, but it's not ever mentioned.

jaimestarr likes this.
  19. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Padme needs a “you’ve changed your dress.” :p

20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    But...but...JJ needs to keep things moving! Han and Leia are having a nice quiet moment. Quick, have something explode or somehow get them running or flying or shouting or something! Or maybe we should've just cut the scene entirely!!?? The audience is gonna get bored! And they're gonna realize how thin the facade is! Oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    PendragonM and Glitterstimm like this.
  21. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    In TFA, I liked the line as part of the reunion scene between Han and Leia especially with regard to the banter about Han's jacket. Han and Leia's dialogue was one of the aspects of TFA that I did enjoy even if I had wished that the couple had remained together rather than separated because of what happened with Kylo.

The line in TLJ also worked okay for me as a brother and sister greeting. Often when I haven't seen a sibling for awhile, I will comment on things like haircut changes, so that line fit that dynamic pretty well for me.

It's usually more big picture issues that I have with the ST than individual dialogue line problems.

Sarge likes this.
  22. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    Han and Leia sharing banter about her hair when they reunite: Fine

Luke and Leia sharing banter about her hair when they reunite: Fine

Both of these things happening in movies back to back: Dumb

23. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    SW really needs to get out of this mirroring thing it's been obsessed with lately.

Paparazzo and PendragonM like this.
  24. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    You're much more generous then me calling if mirroring instead of just plain sloppiness. :p

PendragonM and christophero30 like this.
  25. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Wait Leia doesn't have her buns anymore in this nostalgic "what hairstyle u remember the most from the OT" moment?? :eek: Wow. She must have changed her hair!