main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “You make plans that fail?” Dungeons & Dragons - Honor Among Thieves (and P+ TV Series)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Jul 21, 2022.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I went for a second viewing today. I still got a little choked up at That One Scene, and I could hear sniffles from other audience members.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
    Sarge likes this.
  2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I watched this last night - and I absolutely loved it.

I don't think you can do a D&D movie more, uh, D&D than this one. And I don't mean the Easter eggs or the lore: I mean the way it reproduces how games often go, both in subtle and unsubtle ways.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Saw this Sat afternoon. Really fun time. I haven't personally played D&D, so I wasn't going to catch the nuances as much as others- outside of recognizing major location msotly due to their prevalence in video game titles. But I could tell other members of the audience did and were gasping at certain name drops and laughing at no-doubt similar experiences they've had playing the game as occur in the film.

I did enjoy the cameos by
    the 80's cartoon crew in the maze (who seemingly managed to survive!).

4. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    I haven’t played DND since I was a teenager, but I’ve been playing some other table rpgs recently and found this movie hilarious. My DM echoed things other DM’s have said on here as far as trying to keep characters alive and the prison scene having characters make things harder than it needed to be. Didn’t get all the references but it was enjoyable enough without knowing everything. My nephew plays currently and I went with him and he loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarge likes this.
  5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  6. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Little behind the scenes tidbit:

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Has anyone else seen Astropia? It's a near-zero budget movie filmed in Iceland, starring Miss Iceland, who goes into a gamer store looking for a job. Hilarity ensues when she learns to play D&D. Dialog is in Icelandic with subtitles obviously written by someone without the finest grasp of English, which just makes it funnier.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I guess technically not a spoiler since it's from the official channel, but in case you don't want to know about an Easter egg in the film:

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Sarge and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  10. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Since there is a live action tv series coming to paramount plus of dungeon’s and dragons, is the tv show based in the same continuity world of Honor among thieves movie?

Both are from paramount.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Finally watched this quite fun, consistently!

13. ClaireOlsen

ClaireOlsen Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2022
    It's great to hear that you enjoyed the movie, even if you haven't played DND in a while! Table RPGs can be a blast, and ""Honor Among Thieves"" certainly has its share of humor and references that both seasoned players and newcomers can appreciate. It's funny how in-game plans can sometimes take unexpected turns, isn't it? If you ever decide to dive back into Dungeons & Dragons or other tabletop games, you might want to check out [Link removed]. It can be a handy tool to keep the action rolling smoothly without losing any precious dice!Whether you stick to movies or decide to join your nephew in a game, here's to many more fun adventures in the world of tabletop RPGs!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2024
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    the only reference I got to the RPG was the lute playing lead and gelatinous cube

Last edited: Jan 30, 2024