main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #33 is up: How They Met! (1/28, p. 90, #2231)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Congratulations Briannakin and to all others, you did an awesome job and it was fun to take part in this challenge. :)

2. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
  3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Congratulations, Bri!! =D=

There were some great stories! (I still haven't reviewed a few... I'll get there eventually!) I look forward to the next challenge! :D

4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Congratulations, Bri. :)

While that was more of a subversion of romantic comedy, it was a good one at it. :D Sliightly reminded me of Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me.

5. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    Challenge #3 - Holiday Love

Our third challenge is going to be simple. You have ten weeks to write a story involving any kind of a Galactic Holiday and a plot that centers on your OTP. There are things such as the Life Day, there are birthdays, there is the New Year Fete, there is the Festival of Love. And there are, of course, numerous real-life holidays taking place from mid-December to mid-February, to serve as your inspiration.

You are welcome to invent a holiday of your own, too - be creative. There was a great story last year involving a made-up holiday and, if memory serves, it won an award. :)

The only holidays not acceptable here are general seasonal vacations.

Schedule

You have ten weeks to respond to the challenge if you want your entry to be eligible for the voting. The deadline to post your story is February 21st 2017 at 5:00 Central European Time (check the world clock) - precisely ten weeks from the date and time of this announcement. 24-hour time format.

The voting will be open from sometime on February 21st until the corresponding time on March 07th, 2017. The winner(s) will be announced later that day and the next challenge will go up on March 08th. No colours, but you get the bragging rights and that's gotta count for something! ;)

How to play?

Just write!

There are no limits on the format of the story - songfics and poems are welcome, so are longfics, for as long as the chapter with your challenge response is posted before the deadline. This time, “deadline” refers to February 21st. Stories sent in later will be added to the index, but not eligible for voting.

You can also work a holiday into whatever you're currently writing, but remember to provide some sort of context to those who have not been reading the whole thing - in footnotes, or as a spoiler. This is not obligatory, but it could be helpful.

- Please, in case you’re taking part in both, do not combine this with your fic-gift for the 10th Annual Holiday Fic-Gift Exchange. I'd rather fic-gifts not be placed into a situation where there is voting since they are a gift for someone else.

- NSWFF stories are more than welcome. Use whatever holidays exist in whatever universe you're writing in or, well, Earth holidays if writing something that takes place in our world. Just remember to tell us what the said holiday is. If there’s a Wiki link for your holiday on the universe’s Wiki, do provide it.

- TOS apply, just like for any other challenge. TL;DR: we're not writing bloodbaths and PWP, but your stories can be family-unfriendly elsewhere, as long as they're edited for this board. And no things such as non-con if there is going to be sex, please.

- Once you're done, post a link to your story in this thread. Please, use the URL and not the LINK tag, because the latter does not work on some mobile clients and breaks threads due to causing what us developers call a loop.

- You're not obliged to read the other participants' stories, but it's recommended. Be a good sport. :) I will, of course, read them all, since I'm the thread host and the sock will leave you likes of support.

No ideas?

Just in case you're stuck, here are some prompts:
    - I won't be home for [X]
    - The [X] Day Parade
    - I won't be home for [X]
    - [X] from Hell
    - [X] Day
    - An odd [X] gift
    - Nobody came to my [X] party

...where [X] is the holiday in question.

Some songs that could inspire you:
    Stevie Wonder - I Just Called To Say I Love You - he namechecks all possible occasions throughout the year ;)
    Wham! - Last Christmas
    Scooter - Let Me Be Your Valentine
    ABBA - Happy New Year
    Mariah Carey - All I Want for Christmas Is You

Some holiday films from all over the world:
    The Irony of Fate
    Single Bells and Oh Palmenbaum
    We Are Not Angels
    Love, Actually
    A Christmas Story

Recommendations of more films about holidays other than New Year’s Eve and Christmas are welcome.

There have got to be subtitled versions of some of these somewhere.

If you were inspired by any of these things, please say so in the introduction to your story.

That's it!

Good luck and let the Captain know if you have any questions! Happy holidays, if you’re celebrating. :)

6. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Yay! I am excited for this challenge-- I have ideas already. Life Day is a Big Deal for Raissa, and you can bet that family celebrations at her house include red robes, tinsel bombs, a tree of life and the whole nine yards. ;) You never who might stop by for her famous Wookiee cookies and Hoth chocolate (Corellian style).

7. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Do I need a OTP? I have an idea, but not a 'pairing...'

Captain Rakkaus likes this.
  8. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Last day at work, this year.

Hopefully have time to get to reviews and addressing feedback.

9. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Well, this challenge has my utmost thanks for sparking my Star Wars muse again after years of nothing but NSWFF stories! :D So, here's my Han/Leia story, with . . .

"we'll take a cup of kindness yet"

10. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Sorry for the unexpected break, everybody. Not that anything was going on, so yeah. :)

Yes, to participate in the OTP challenge, you need an OTP. I had no idea if your story had one, or if it continues, so...a clarification could help. :)

Awesomesauce! :)

Take all the time you need. :)

Congrats, you were the first to submit an entry for this challenge. :) And it seems that it kicked your SW muse into overdrive...which is good. :D

11. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    No, my current story is inspired by the OTP challenge, but does not actually include an OTP, so isn't eligible. No complaints, though; I got a good bunny! Two more posts for it.

12. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    I say you go ahead, edit the above post and share the story either way. It won't be counted as a challenge entry, but as per the first two posts in this thread, stories *inspired* by any of the challenges are welcome and should be shared. :)

And, ironically, the first story you posted would have totally qualified for this thread, so I am not saying that you should write that particular OTP, but...

Kahara likes this.
  13. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    In the case of the first story, OTP would stand for One Time Pairing. ;)

But if "Inspired by" counts, then I will cheerfully submit Regifting: The Antilles Girls Strike Back, which was inspired by the challenge, but doesn't figure an OTP. Not eligible for any award, but read it if you want a giggle.

Captain Rakkaus, Ewok Poet and Kahara like this.
  14. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Okay, I've been meaning to participate in this thread and write something for one of the challenges forevah, but I just can't come up with a pairing that I really want to write :(

The thing is, I only ever properly wrote one pairing, all 300K words of it, and I think I've had enough of that one -- plus, it was a very unhealthy relationship in so many ways that I wouldn't want to call that my OTP.

I do have a few background characters from that story that were married/couples, and these are characters I would like to develop in side stories, but I'm not particularly interested in their relationships for now, more in their individual personalities -- so basically I'm looking for the "trigger" that would make the relationship interesting to write.

Which brings me to my question: what is it, in your view, that makes a relationship worth exploring in writing? In other words, what makes the difference between two characters that happen to be in a relationship and an OTP or something close enough to that idea? Any and all ideas and advice are welcome [:D]

PS: Of course, there's always the Eliskandro/Bonvika fallback position :p but besides the fact that I need Findswoman's permission for that one I'd like to try writing a pairing that's not only about humour, ya know?

Kahara and Captain Rakkaus like this.
  15. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Chyntuck - That would make for an interesting discussion topic and I can totally see how this perspective may be alien to some and that there could be people hesitating to give romance in fics a try for this exact reason. Can we use it for the next discussion?

16. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Sure! It's not like I'll manage an entry for the current challenge anyway, I've already got half a dozen fics on my plate.

17. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Discussion #7: Finding Your OTP

This discussion is for those who do not write romance in fanfics (and/or fiction in general) that often, have not played the romance tropes straight, those who cannot decide what makes a pairing worthy of that glitzy OTP abbreviation. Moreover, this is also an invitation to those who have one or many OTPs to explain their point of view in return. As they'd say in a certain legendary show...and now for something completely different! :D

What is it, in your view, that makes a relationship worth exploring in writing? In other words, what makes the difference between two characters that happen to be in a relationship and an OTP or something close enough to that idea?

(modified from the above post by Chyntuck - thanks for the idea!)

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  18. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    I've been considering these questions in regard to Raissa and Doran. First of all, Chyntuck, you mentioned being interested in the individual personalities, and I think that's really important in an OTP. Both of them need to be well-rounded, interesting characters in their own right--otherwise one is just a prop. I love Raissa and Doran individually, and have written stories about them in which the other one doesn't appear. But I also like the way they work together. They really are a team, not just a couple. They're not perfect--both stubborn and a bit clueless emotionally--but they care for each other and make things right when they hurt each other.

I think the other thing that makes them my OTP is that I'm interested in all aspects and phases of their relationship, not just the romantic/physical side--which, indeed, hasn't even made it to paper yet. (It's coming, but I'm trying finish another project first). I've really been trying to grow their relationship and friendship before making them lovers, and I think the phases in between have been worth exploring and made their story richer than if I'd just hooked them up at the end of Doran's Place. The stories I'm working on currently have time-hopped about 17 years into the future, and it's been interesting to consider a very married Raissa and Doran as parents. The story I'm working on for the holiday challenge has them reflecting on the fact that their children are growing up.

I guess for me it boils down to: an OTP has to be about about more than just romance and sex. They need to be engaging individually and together. That's a standard that applies to my OCs and official 'ships-- Han/Leia, Kanan/Hera, etc.

19. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
  20. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    So...we have a little less than ten days left until the submission deadline for this particular challenge. There have been two entries so far? Was wondering if any more ideas have been cookin'. :D

Mira_Jade and Raissa Baiard's stories are polar opposites in terms of mood, but they're both really good.

If you're stuck or can't come up with an idea, feel free to come here and we'll all brainstorm together.

Mira_Jade , Kahara, Anedon and 2 others like this.
  21. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I think a lot of what Raissa Baiard said above.
    * They both need to be individuals - both well-rounded and separately interesting.
    * They need to work well together.
    * They need to be interesting as a team.

I think also that they have to have something to add to your story. If you have an interesting OTP but nothing really to say, then they are just window dressing with no substance. A story has to be told through their relationship. We are watching their love as a complement or as a foil to the plot that is evolving around them.

Another thing, also as Raissa said, is that they shouldn't be perfect people. They have to grow, and that means they have to make mistakes. They have to learn how to choose love when maybe their relationship isn't the strongest right now, they have to help each other and make each other better people.

22. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Hm I´m thinking about taking part. Maybe something involving my OCs but I´ve yet to have an idea for the plot.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Aye-aye, sailor. :)

Have you looked at the ideas in this post already?

24. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Yeah I have. Its less about the holiday itself but more when in the lives of my OTP it could take place and what would happen.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Find an important event in the 'verse to coincide with the holiday. Work from that. :)

Anedon likes this.