main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #33 is up: How They Met! (1/28, p. 90, #2231)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Kissing cousins is still kinda gross. :/

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Cade might not care all that much. You never know.

TrakNar likes this.
  3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Good point. :p

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    This reminds me of that 30 Rock episode where Liz unknowingly dated her distant cousin - when they found out about it they each said what would be a not weird distance to date - he said "fifth" and she said "no way, never" :p

I believe that in times past, marrying anything closer than four or five degrees of affinity required a papal dispensation.

5. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Also, Jacen/Tahiri happened.

6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I think Cade/Marasiah would actually be first cousins four (or something depending on the generations) times removed. So I'm not sure how that plays out into the modern definition of incest. I know at about third cousins, you no longer are 'biologically' related (meaning your DNA is as similar as a completely random person), but again, not sure how 'X times removed' compares.

And yeah, my aunt and uncle are something like fifth cousins (moral: don't marry a girl from your small home town). Both legally and biologically it's fine, but I think any closer gets a bit icky.

But I think this may be an important discussion to have (delicately). Incest is against the rules here, but we really don't have a marker for what is incest (for SW fiction that is, NSWFF depends on the time frame of the source material). Clearly siblings are out of the question, and I think first cousins makes most people squirm.

Findswoman likes this.
  7. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Also how bout Luke/Shira Brie?

8. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Again, canon (somewhat).

9. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    And yeah, my aunt and uncle are something like fifth cousins (moral: don't marry a girl from your small home town).

That reminds me of some advice one of my former co-workers (whose family has many ties throughout the area) said his father gave out when he was growing up: Date in the valley, but don't sleep in the valley.

I do believe that marriage between cousins used to be a great deal more acceptable than it is now. Though generally not like Wuthering Heights--where the Second Catherine (the daughter of the first Catherine, and yes, I know it is confusing) marries both of her first cousins in succession without ever meeting another eligible man. Or another person in her peer group. Or another human being outside the Earnshaw and Linton households, period. That novel really is just saturated with incestuous vibes, though I rather doubt it was intentional on Emily Bronte's part.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  10. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

I'm not an expert on the Legacy characters, but my understanding is that Cade is the great-grandson of Ben (and thus the great-great-grandson of Luke) and that Marasiah is the great-granddaughter of Jaina (and thus the great-great-granddaughter of Leia)—right? The way I always keep track of these kind of cousin relationships is like so:
    • Siblings share parents;
    • first cousins share grandparents;
    • second cousins share great-grandparents;
    • third cousins share great-great-grandparents;
    • fourth cousins share great-great-great-grandparents;
    • etc.
    So if that's the case, then these two share great-great-great grandparents (namely, Anakin and Padmé) and would count as fourth cousins. I may be wrong about their exact relationship, though (the Wook wasn't very clear)—but fourth cousins still seems to me to be pushing the envelope a bit.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  11. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Gabriel Garcia Marquez toys with the theme throughout One Hundred Years of Solitude and the last Aureliano and last Amaranta Ursula get a son with a pig tail. Then again, that's just one of the numerous surreal themes in the book.

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh, yeah, I think Findswoman is right. I think I was thinking that Marasiah Fel would be Ben Skywalker's first cousin for times removed, but, yeah, she and Cade would be fourth cousins. So, I think, out of the realm of biological incest.

(And, yeah, NSWFF has a different set of rules, because it would be hard to write from any Tudor or other earlier royalty centred fandom without what we would consider incest).

13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Well it wasn't genuine-as she was an imperial agent the whole time.

14. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    See, fourth cousins doesn't squick me out at all, because I probably have hundreds of relatives at that level and have never met most of them. (just on my dad's maternal side, 3 greats grandpa had 5 children who lived to adulthood. If each successive generation had 3 kids per person, that would be 405 people who share great-great-great-grandparents with me.)

EDIT: ok, I'm doing the math wrong on this, because I can't figure out how many are truly 4th cousins, and which are cousins x-times removed.

Findswoman likes this.
  15. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Here. This may help the discussion.

[​IMG]

Sith-I-5, jcgoble3 and Raissa Baiard like this.
  16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Are we sure Cade isn't Ben's grandson?

So issues of Incest aside-do you think Cade and Marasiah would work as a couple?

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    No, it was never established how many generations there were between Cade and Ben, but I think now that Legends is no more, I think it is safe to assume most everyone accepts that Cade was at least Ben's great-grandson - possibly great-great grandson.

Issues of incest aside, I never read Legends, so I don't really have an opinion (I know Cade's general story line and personality, but nothing of the Fels).

18. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    If you want to write Cade/Marasiah, go for it. We've established that it's far enough apart to not count as incest.

19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Didn't you mean Legacy?

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah. Oops. Brain fart.

21. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    - Hello everybody! :)
    - HELLO, CAPTAIN RAKKAUS!

This is your new host, Ewok Poet. I have taken over the thread and I welcome ideas for future discussions and challenges. If this fact scares you, don't worry. I'm very flexible and I tend to be as pedantic as your average thread host, plus, though it may not look that way, I love love. This is totally not a Mochino ad and I don't smell like grapefruit, OK? :p

At this point, I am going to do some basic housekeeping, propose a discussion topic for the little of September we have left and brainstorm on the challenge idea with you all. All suggestions and ideas are welcome. This is a great thread and it should be more active, but that's a given. :)

CHALLENGE #1 - UNFIXABLE ISSUES - RESULTS

Only two people have voted in our first challenge, each for a different story, so after some thinking, I decided that both people who received votes in this challenge should be the joint winners.

Congratulations, Briannakin ( Abating Hope) and Raissa Baiard (You've Been Thinkin' And I've Been Drinkin') - you have won our first challenge!

A new challenge will be posted in a couple of days, so our schedule would not clash with those of the Bring Back the OC Revolution and Fanon threads, thus giving everybody enough time to participate in all three. I have a couple of ideas written down, but if you have one, too, please send me a message or suggest it here. Either way round is fine by me! :)

For all questions, suggestions, ideas, fan mail and hate mail, send the sock a private message and I will do my best to respond in timely manner. ^_^

22. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    Discussion #3 - The First Time I Caught A Glimpse Of You

Some beings fall in love at the first sight. We all know how one certain young slave reacted upon seeing a certain royal disguised as a mere handmaiden. Some, however, take a long time to process, understand and make sense of their feelings - one certain flyboy and one certain princess come to mind. Of course, there is a whole spectrum of situations and the duration of the process of falling in love depends on various circumstances.

But either way, each being remembers that first time they caught a glimpse of that stranger in the crowd. Let's talk about that moment. When did your characters spot one another? Was it love or lust at the first sight, or did they absolutely hate each other? What kind of a situation was this? Tell us more...

If you're new and would like to give your two credits on one of the previous discussion topics, you're welcome to. :)

Note: if you wrote about the first time your characters met, do feel free to include a link to the story/chapter. If your OTP is canon or Legends-canon, feel free to reference the book, comic, video game or whichever other medium. There will always be somebody who doesn't know. ;)

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    First off, thanks for the vote(? also, it was so long ago I don't even remember the challenge :p). And congrats to Raissa for winning as well.

Now, onto the discussion (I guess I'll go first?). I've never believed in "love at first sight" (read the Prologue of So Much More Than Fairytales :p) so I'm much more attracted to 'ships that don't start with "Are you an angel?" (I like a good Anakin/Padme fic, but not so much with a 10-year-old kid's lines). I guess because then there is that initial conflict and things aren't easy (easy things are no fun). Anyways. I have several OTPs, so I hope it's okay if I touch on a few of them.

Luke/Mara. I'm sure others will touch on this OTP as well and be able to quote the actual first meeting (I have the abridged audio-book of Heir to the Empire done by Denis Lawson in 1991 and as glorious as it is, I don't feel like finding my external harddrive for one scene), and most will at least know the scene. But the fact that Mara just wanted to kill the then unconscious Luke, I was like "YUP, this is my kind of romance". I LIKED the long road they had ahead of them.

As for Bail/Breha - I guess my romance fic with them is "Disney Canon" (since I ignored their Legends "origins"), so they, in my mind, also met with violence. They meet in chapter 1 of So Much More ... when they literally run into each-other. Breha breaks her arm, calls Bail all sorts of names, and is mortified and embarrassed and we learn later that she never wants anything to do with him again. But later on in the chapter, I wrote kinda a glimpse into Bail's POV and he was clearly smitten. I've thought about using the "legends" material (the tiny bit on the Alderaan Ascendancy Contention that was really only covered in sourcebooks) to write their courtship in legends canon and I can just see Breha (who I based much on using Leia - IE headstrong, but willing to do things against her will for the sake of the larger good) positively hating the idea of marrying Bail but doing so anyways and falling in love with him (man, I want to write this now).

And for Tycho/Winter, I think their first meeting is actually covered in a comic I'm unfamiliar with (I should go hunting for it one of these days when it isn't 1 am) but from my wook readings, it was a typical Rogue Squadron gone awry mission. He ends up liking her, but she is hesitant. If I actually ever get my muse onto a Tycho/Winter long-fic, I will actually read the comics and not go off the wook.

Also, quick question for the new host: NSWFF pairings. Are they allowed to be discussed here? (I think the original host was wary, but I'm not sure if there's the enthusiasm for a OTP thread for just NSWFF)

Captain Rakkaus and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Of course. :) I need to go through the OP and clarify some more things, but that would be one of them.

Hope that, by doing so, we're not stealing traffic from the NSWFF or something? Mira_Jade, are you OK with this?

25. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Congrats to Raissa Baiard and Briannakin for their wins! Nice job! [face_dancing]

I also love the L/M meeting since it was such a switch up from Luke's previous lady friends. We had Gaeriel Captison who was kinda like the high school crush girlfriend (it seemed he was more into her than she was into him), there was Shira Brie who, well, that didn't work out, there was the whole Callista thing (which I suppose we won't get into :p). So when he meets Mara and her first reaction is literally to kill him, it got my interest. She was such an intense character and she has such a powerful personality that finally there was someone who would give Luke a run for his money. And the idea of Luke softening her up so that she would even be receptive to love was the challenge facing her. It was fun to see their antagonism (at least on her part) turn to stiff cooperation to gradual respect and then to love. You knew from the start that their relationship was going to change both of them in a very fundamental way.

As for my OCs Blue and Bree Solo and their OTP, they meet in chapter 1 of http://boards.theforce.net/threads/true-blue-ocs-h-l-l-m-kiana-ti-kyp-etc-for-mods-dare-challenge-final-authors-replies.50023681/]True[/url] Blue . He saw her first. Bree was sitting in the rain, trying to figure out how to stowaway onto the ship that Blue worked on. He recognized that she was hurt, so he used his medical pass to get her on board as a patient. He could have ignored her but there was something about Bree that really caught his eye. She was different from the other passengers, and he suspected (correctly) that she wasn't an actual refugee at all. When he approached her and touched her elbow to try to direct her, she almost bit his head off. He kinda liked that she had spark even when she was obviously in pain. There was mutual physical attraction on both their parts (once Bree realized that he was doing her a tremendous favor and stopped being so defensive). When he took his jacket's hood off and she got a good look at him she realized how handsome he was and she kept glancing back at him as she walked down the ship's corridor. He stood there and rather boldly watched her walk the whole way. Later, in the sequel, he confesses that he fell in love with her the first week he met her. So for Blue it was curiosity followed by physical attraction then pretty closely by love.[face_thinking][face_blush][face_love] Bree was initially taken aback by his action, but she soon realized he meant well and then she was definitely physically attracted to him almost immediately. [face_beatup] ;) [face_blush][face_love]