main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #33 is up: How They Met! (1/28, p. 90, #2231)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

I DON'T HAVE A DASH THERE HOW COULD YOU...I mean, yes, I want the quotes. And yes, I'm really this controlling. And yes, caffeine hangover. YES. YES. YES. [face_party][face_cow]=P~[face_dancing]

*ahem* *serious mode* The next challenge will probably be a holiday thingy, but the one after it could be inspired by those quotes. :)

EDIT because I wrote "muda" instead of "mode" - it may mean young in Malay, but it means testicles in my native language, so it's not a good typo.

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Very very tempted, but too much on, and already doing an OTP fic in any case.

:(

Ewok Poet likes this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

That is why the prompts are kind of vague - to be suitable for a case like yours. Also, you're not obliged to follow through if you give this a go. :)

4. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Several hours since I read that, Ewok Poet, and I am still not sure what that means. The prompts don't look that vague. But if they are to you, why are they vague? And how would it assist a case like mine?

5. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I have seen challenges fail because the rules were too strict, so I wanted to try something where we can have more freedom. Therefore, I used prompts that can be applied to many situations, even in ongoing stories. As in, you can use them in a single chapter of a long story you're already writing, without affecting what you already had planned. Say, the characters can be your story's beta couple and it can be a subplot.

Does that make more sense?

6. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I just used the random number generator.
    I've got:
    6 and 10
    So vitriolic childhood friends and awkward proposal out of nowehere. That could be interesting. :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  7. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Interesting tactic, Ewok Poet

Won't work for me in this instance, I'm afraid; I'll just slog on with my existing project.

8. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Awesome Ewok [bolded space] Poet! And I kinda assumed you would have something for the holidays (which I always love). And that actually kinda works out for me (I HAVE SO MUCH TO DO THIS SEMESTER!:_|I don't think even re-rolling will get a fic out of me for this challenge :mad: ). If you have something planned for a valentines day challenge, that's fine too, or I can make you a list then.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Briannakin - Another user pointed out that there should be quotes from other things as well, so I'll most likely make a 20-30 item list and you can have a quarter of it. :D

And I hope you do think of something for this challenge, eventually. You're pretty good when you don't plan ahead, I think!

Sith-I-5 - Do you generally have an issue with things such as thinking outside of the box, writing whatever comes to your mind etc? Do you prefer planning instead? One thing that helped me is to give myself fifteen minutes to write a vignette and see what happens. Not everything needs to be planned.

That said, I might as well go ahead and write a story in that style and see what happens. To motivate people and all...

10. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Please don't take my earlier response as a personal slight on you.

I have considered the plot of my existing OTP project, against your list of options, and the intriguing concept of a beta couple, and found that my storyline does not have the room.

Eg. I have three people on a long-distance rescue mission. Apart from their target, they know no-one on the planet. Ideas considered and discarded include not having enough known characters to get a beta couple in there; and we are too far removed from our various homes for there to be a proposal from a neighbour.

Your ideas are good, but they won't fit every single ongoing plotline out there.

Besides, I thought up in a few minutes, an idea for @Mira_Jade's "Flex" prompt - F.L.EX. initiative - Find Landmines, Explode them. Short fic with two of my OCs, Spiderman, the Hulk, a Quinjet, and whatever car wreck the locals can come up with.

But with several fics on the go, including a Hoatzeri-themed fanon one deadlined for 9th October, it is finding the time.

11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I did not take it as a personal slight at all. I was just suggesting an approach that's not so strict. All OK. :)

12. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Jysella is, like, 10 or 12 years older than Ben or something? IIRC, anyway. I don't have a problem with age gaps, clearly, I'm just not sure where that pairing came from.

Galadriel/Celeborn doesn't work as love at first sight. XD She was banging someone else at the time (I thiiiiink Celebrimbor? Don't quote me on that.)

I think I'll be abstaining from this challenge. Trying to work on my novel again.

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Mav and I discussed this early on in the thread and because people didn't know even an approximate age for Jysella till into FOTJ, people assumed she was a bit closer in age. I totally agree that there is nothing wrong with the age difference (cough* Lando/Tendra) but when Ben spent pretty much all his time in the books under 18, it may seém odd to ship him with someone 11 years older.

14. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Well, she was one of the middle students at Yavin before Ben was born, so there's an indication there. I just don't see where it came from when they didn't have any interaction in the text until her was 16/17. Seha Dorvald is closer to his age but still six or seven years older.

One thing I don't get is why people have fits over certain age gaps but not others. I'm a Kyp/Jaina shipper but I've seen so many people freaking out over the 14 year difference who don't freak over Han/Leia (11), Zekk/Taryn (12), Kam/Tionne (20+), or Lando/Tendra (unknown but probably close to 20). As long as they're consenting adults, why does it matter?

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I've never read NJO, and I only came along to the fandom about the time LOTF was ending, so I can't really say how old I thought Jysella was before it was established [face_dunno]. Maybe because we see her brother in Union and other late Bantam era books, but not her, people thought she was a bit younger? The idea of a Skywalker with a Horn is a pretty great story to explore, plus just the general lack of established female peers for Ben. I don't mind Ben/Jysella, but I often just pair him with an OC. Though I did have an OC Skywalker daughter that I tried to pair with Valin, but for some bizzare reason, I just couldn't make the 17 year age gap work.

But it's weird because I have it established that there is a 17 year age gap between Bail and Breha (according to the wook, Breha could be anywhere from 7 to 17 years younger), and I think it's a great dynamic to play with. Maybe it does have to do with the age of the people, along with the people themselves. Even if my OC was going to be 18, pairing her with someone 35, did weird out some of the people I drifted the idea by. But people were fine (I hope) with a 22 year old Breha dating a 39 year old Bail. And there is 17 years between Lando and Tendra, but since she was in her 30s (I believe), when the relationship started, no one bats an eye at it. Perhaps that's the reason for the "half the age plus seven" rule. But I myself think that, yeah, as long as they are two consenting adults, it's fine, but I personally don't think every person becomes an adult the moment they turn 18.

And, out of my own curiosity, where did you get the age difference for Kam and Tionne? I can't find any birth approximation for Tionne.

16. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I don't mind age differences, but I do think it would be a little creepy when the pair grows up knowing each other...and many of the Jedi grew up together. If a teenager family friend used to babysit your baby and was around to watch your kid grow up to adulthood, wouldn't you find it weird if they started dating when your child turned 18? I know it shouldn't matter, but for some reason it is unsettling.

17. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Luke calls Tionne a "young woman" in several things, including the short story where he meets her, implying that she's ~5 years younger than him. I don't believe a canon birthdate was ever given for Kam, but he was a padawan during the Purge, so he's ~13-20 years older than Luke.

18. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

If I may just chime in here... Sith-I-5, with challenges like this, you don't have to try to shoehorn them into existing stories or plotlines. In fact, that isn't the point at all—the point is more to start from scratch and create an all new story—as short or as long as you want—that's tailored specifically to the challenge. My guess is that's what Ewok Poet was getting at when she advocated a less strict approach.

Now, it's fair to say, "Oh gee, I don't think I'll have the time because my time's being taken up with projects X and Y." But given that you did roll the dice, do at least give it a chance. It can sometimes be nice to have a break from one's ongoing story from time to time. :)

19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Findswoman

I did do the 'I'm too busy on other projects' spiel; it was EP who suggested rolling them into my existing project.

Are you sure I rolled a dice here? Or does merely posting that I'm tempted but too busy count as that?

20. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Sorry, Sith-I-5, I thought you had, since you had mentioned the "proposal from a neighbor" item and I immediately thought that must have been what you rolled. You could of course still roll the dice and see if you get something suitable for use in a standalone story—it would be fun to have you on board. But it's ultimately up to you.

21. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Well don't blame me when I miss the fanon deadline.

22. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    I never blame anyone for missing deadlines. It just means that your story will be in the challenge index but not votable for colors. :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  23. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    How many sides are the challenge dies supposed to have, please?

Edit: Thankyou Findswoman.

Debilitating phobia, and in vino veritas, which I just looked up.

24. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    If you look at the post where the challenge was first announced, the two lists of prompts/topics have ten items each. So you'll want to throw two 10-sided dice. :)

25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Does "Green Russians" as a drink (favoured by Pam, in Archer) actually exist, cos my OC is going to have to get ****-faced and not remember anything afterwards.