main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #34 Posted: Sonnets Roulette! (4/17, p. 92, #2282)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I have my doubts that this one will be done in time.

Edit: Sorry for double post; I thought the Captain was the last poster.

2. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Hi
    I've a question for the challenge about vitriolic childhood friends cause I don't quite understand the therm.
    Do Jacen and Tenel Ka count?

3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    ^ Somebody please help Anendon - I felt that I was not competitive enough to explore the exact dynamic of the relationship.

I have a story with a short prologue, three chapters and a short epilogue written for the current challenge. It's my first attempt at doing something fairly fluffy, but it will probably not appear fluffy enough. I wanted to do this the Mistress_Renata way and actually complete it before I've posted the first chapter, given my crippling record on the short multi-chapter stories, but alas, the only way to show all the elements before the voting deadline and give people enough time to reply miiiight not allow me that. D'oh.

This made me think that I probably need to amend the rules in order to clarify what happens if a multi-chapter's story is not finished before the voting deadline, in regards to whether it contains the required elements by the given time or not. Especially since that was an issue with my own winning entry in another challenge and the FanonSock required me to have the elements there by a certain time.

mavjade, Briannakin - Expect a quick note from me soon. :)

*goes to put the Sock on*

*laments own bad meta reference to a gross real life camp act*

*remembers that the said camp act is impossible with her anatomy and opts for endless hours of amusement with shadow and sock puppets*

Anedon and FanonSock like this.
  4. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    This is just a quick note for those writing multi-chapter stories for the current challenge.

Please, make sure that you've posted the chapter(s)/part(s) of the story that contain the required elements from both lists by the voting deadline (December 11th).

The challenge rules have been updated for clarification, this was advertised in the thread title and the moderators have been notified. :)

5. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    So the November 26th deadline no longer counts?

6. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    It does. Please, re-read the post with the rules linked above. :)

7. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    For the relevant chapter/part, have it posted by the voting deadline of December 11th.

So in that instance, what are we hurrying to get done by November 26th, a placeholder chapter?

8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Kahara, Captain Rakkaus and Sith-I-5 like this.
  9. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay, cool. I'm alright for "something resembling a story" then.

Captain Rakkaus and Ewok Poet like this.
  10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I don't think I would classify Jacen and Tenel Ka's relationship as children as vitriolic. It was competitive but they were friends and friendly. A vitriolic relationship would be more malicious and bitter. Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy would be more of a vitriolic relationship to me.

11. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I suggest some bedtime reading on TVTropes: Vitriolic Best Buds :)

Kahara, Captain Rakkaus and Ewok Poet like this.
  12. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Okay, I thought that. :(
    I went over this list andfound not a single paring that fits me.The only ones I know of these that are vitriolic, aren't childhood friends. I'm trying not to panic right now.

13. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Anedon - The beautiful thing about fanfic is that you can write whatever you want. Make it an AU and change a relationship, use an OC with a canon character, or use all OCs. Just because it might not fit canon doesn't mean you can't write it!

Also, never panic about fanfic... it's supposed to be fun! If nothing comes to you, it's okay. :)

Huh... okay! A lot of those relationships (of the ones I read) I wouldn't call vitriolic, I've always thought of that as a harsher word. Contentious maybe in some cases, but not vitriolic. But if it's a thing, it's a thing. :) I try not to go to TVTropes often, it's a hole from which it's hard to escape! :p

14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I had that trope in mind when I was coming up with the challenge prompts. But yes, some of those are of the "from a certain point of view" kind.

But really, Anedon, you can write what you like. :) Make up some completely new characters just for this purpose. One thing that helped me a lot when I got here - and Force knows that I was intimidated, people had been writing for years and they knew everything and I was clueless - was reading other people's stories and seeing how people handled it.

Kahara, Captain Rakkaus and Anedon like this.
  15. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Thanks Ewok Poet, mavjade :)
    I think I might be able to work something out. I've a bit trouble right now but when I hope to solve it this week. After that I will start working on it.

16. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    276 words. First update in several days.

Captain Rakkaus likes this.
  17. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    You have one more week to enter the challenge. Glad to see that we already have two entries, with more in the works. Pssh, what's that? Does the talking avian on the Captain's shoulder know something? Yup! That avian suggests that there are least three people who didn't post in this thread that have 'em three-eared plot bunnies jumping around. Next to those of you reporting your progress, that could be enough of us for a paaaar-tay on the deck.

And if somebody can encourage our friend Anedon to write something - that would be awesome, too. :) He's been interested in the challenge since day one.

Discussion #6 - Funniest Moments

This discussion was picked in order to help those who are still stuck on their challenge response, in case they want some humour in their story. Perhaps this will refresh your memory and get ya in the gear, so you could post something before November 26th? :)

Love, lust, crushes, squishes...they can make us stupid. More often than not, we do stupid things when we are in love, especially when we are young. Boys, remember that time you tried to pass a note to your crush and then the teacher found it and made you read it in front of the class? Girls, how about that poor soul who attempted to impress you with his athleticism and then his trousers ripped on the fence? Everybody, what about all those situations where you were in love, but you thought the other person wasn't, so you were bitter from no reason? Oh yes, all those things might seem funny now, but they didn't back then. And our characters, they are not immune to this, either.

What funny things, anecdotes and similar things from the courtship or the hookup does your OTP remember fondly or not so fondly? Was there a time when one or both of them managed to embarrass themselves to the point of being the butt of the joke? Do all those things seem funnier after a certain amount of time or not? Tell us all about it!

If you're new and would like to give your two cents on any of the previous topics, the list is here.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  18. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    1,940 words, before I was forced to stop for research.

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  19. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    I'm 3300 words into a story that was inspired by an offhand comment to Ewok Poet. :D This one is something of a departure for me....Sometimes you choose the ship, sometimes it chooses you.

Kahara, Sith-I-5, mavjade and 2 others like this.
  20. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm almost done with my entry, I've been having trouble with the end but I think I might have figured it out last night. I just need to allow myself to get out of my own way.

Kahara, Sith-I-5 and Ewok Poet like this.
  21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    One thing that always works for me is writing when sleep-deprived. That's when I'm least judgmental to myself.

Kahara and mavjade like this.
  22. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
  23. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I have a good start, then something something something, then a good ending. Got work on that something.

Kahara likes this.
  24. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Went and looked up your choices. You already have a viable story; for the vino veritas thing, all you gotta do is have a character get drunk and admit something, like an Ewok fantasy of some sort.

SW is replete with ways to kill beings off.

How close to the parameters did you get?

25. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    So I´ve started working on it, although it´s a pretty strange idea and I don´t know if I should go with it.

Kahara and Raissa Baiard like this.