main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #34 Posted: Sonnets Roulette! (4/17, p. 92, #2282)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Same here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I could use some help here - I need some songs with horrible plots, but not too gory. And they don't need to be about love at all. Please PM me or the sock with your suggestions OR suggest them here.

Findswoman likes this.
  3. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    How horrible are we talking? Last Kiss horrible (teenage death)? Church Bells horrible (spousal abuse and murder)? Timothy horrible (mine disaster and possible cannibalism)? Though I’m not sure what kind of OTP story could be inspired by any of them :p

Findswoman and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I LOVE the song Last Kiss. I had a tape called The Immortals of Rock and Roll when I was a kid and it had the Buddy Holly recording of that song on there and I listened to it constantly. I was in love with Buddy Holly (I was a weird child for this being the 1990s). It is a pretty depressing song, though, that's for sure.

The first song I thought of was Why Paddy's Not at Work Today, but I'm not quite sure that's what you are looking for.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
  6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    @mavjade's suggestion of "Why Paddy's Not at Work Today" put me in mind of "Miss Otis Regrets." (Lyrics here, breathtakingly gorgeous recording by Ella Fitzgerald here.)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  7. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    I found this exhaustive list of horrible death and tragedy related songs. Note that some of them are NSFW (as opposed to NSWFF).

8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I was looking for something modern - guess that I forgot to specify that and I apologise. E.g. "Jeremy" kind of stuff. "Where the Wild Roses Grow" etc.

9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    How modern is modern, exactly? Like, not things that are folk songs (like "Why Paddy's Not at Work"), or only things from the 2000s, or only things from a certain decade on? "Miss Otis Regrets" (for example) was written in the 1930s but has been recorded in various centuries since then (the Fitzgerald performance is from 1956); would that disqualify it? Not meaning to argue, just curious. :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Okay. Hmmm. I have stuff to do much of today, but I'll see if I can find time, and find my old iPod nano from like 2008. Teenage me was an angsty little bugger so I probably have dozens of songs that are in that genre, but don't necessarily have a plot. Though, they are more... angsty, then violent/horrible.

A couple that come to mind right away are

Last Words - TFK
    Cassie - Flyleaf

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    @Briannakin, you're a PERFECT person for this, then.

And every single thing by Flyleaf ever would fit, I believe. :p

@Findswoman, I'd go for popular music from the era of the song I'm naming the challenge after (sixties) on. And definitely nothing that appears in the other current music-related challenges. Extreme references to our Galaxy are a bad idea, of course.

Forgot to say that this one could get in, yes.

And wow, that's one odd crush, but a good one. Poor man, gone too soon. :(

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Kahara, mavjade and Findswoman like this.
  12. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    “River” by Joni Mitchell gets me teary every time, although it’s about a romantic break-up. But it has this tragic wistfulness, an almost-but-not-quite feel to it. P!nk’s “Who Knew” drives me to tears too, but for personal reasons, but it’s a well-done song about personal tragedy.

As for me, fun fact, there have only been two songs with my name (or the closest you’ll ever get to my name cuz nobody else has my name) in it as far as I know. In one, the guy died in a car crash and in the other, the singer is talking about his deceased friend (that’s where my name comes in). So there’s that. :p

Edit: “Pumped Up Kicks” is a gory little number if you actually listen to what it’s saying...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Kahara likes this.
  13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    We had the last one in another challenge, it's just that nobody claimed it yet, after two years. The two songs you mentioned are spot-on. The latter makes me feel horrible, empty...perfect for this challenge.

Kahara likes this.
  14. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    When you mentioned the 60s as a starting point, I thought instantly of Bobbie Gentry's "Ode to Billie Joe." It's a Southern Gothic short story in lyrical form, and it never ceases to be so creepy, after all these decades, because there are no answers to its questions. And really: it would probably be a disappointment to know exactly, without any ambiguity, what it was that Billie Joe and the narrator threw off the Tallahatchie Bridge.

15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I know theories about what it could have been and they're frightening, to say the least. There was a whole page of them and I'd rather not bring them up here, because it's all disturbing.

Not to mention that, as a teenage fan of Green Day in the 1990s, the song creeped me out because of the name as well. [face_worried]

But yes, the song's 100% fit for this challenge! Thanks. :)

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    So, I found my old iPod, but I must have gotten rid of the charging cable. HOWEVER, I did find then next best thing: my external harddrive from like 2013, which has some of my 2008-2013 angsty painsty music on on it. I unfortunately didn't have the time to go through all my music, I just chose the bands I remember listening to the most and chose the song I thought might fit the best (just from memory), but for the vast majority of these bands, if the song I chose isn't quite what you are looking for, they will probably have something else in their discography that I'm just not thinking of.

30 Seconds to Mars - The Kill
    A Perfect Circle - Fiddle and the Drum (not the original song I suggested - I realized there was a disallowed word in the original choice).
    AFI - Miss Murder
    Billy Tallent - Viking Death March
    Breaking Benjamin - Unknown Soldier
    Chevelle - The Red
    Emily Autumn - 306 (really, all of her songs are horrific, but just a fair content warning if you go searching through her songs... also language)
    Evanescence - Uhhh, yeah, you probably have one of their songs already, but if not, just take your pick (I have all their songs and I seriously can't pick)
    Mother Mother - Hay Loft (Arms Tonight might also work. I just love Mother Mother)
    My Chemical Romance - Dead! (or Cancer or Famous Last Words)
    Red - Confession
    Skillet - Monster
    Weezer - Put Me Back Together (by far not their angstist song, but the one I seem to remember listening to the most)
    Within Temptation - Angels

Anyone freaked out by teenage Briannakin yet? Because that was just all the non-explicit stuff (I hope - I didn't have much time for scan for profanity).

AND now I need to go write some angst.

Edit! I can not believe I forgot one of my favourite songs! Might be a bit older but I'm still throwing it out there. One by Metallica

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Emilie has some more great ones, so thanks for reminding me of her - will go for Swallow. I'll also take One and Miss Murder.

And whoa, you were more emo than the Kaulitz twins! [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

You are awesome, I think I'll be able to continue now. :) @};-

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Briannakin , Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  18. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Ooh, let me see! :D

Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
    *dodges tomatoes* -- I mean, it is the most disturbing song that I hear on regular old "easy listening stations" :p

I Will Never Die by Delta Rae
    Fantastically creepy American Gothic stuff. But I think it's nonspecific enough to work, assuming equivalents for crows and local trees and such.

Laura Palmer by Bastille
    Apparently the whole song is a Twin Peaks reference; in any case definitely ominous what with the references to mysterious and inexplicable death. Actually, pretty much everything by Bastille could probably work.

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I can not believe I am posting this, but here is Briannakin circa 2008. OH THE CRINGE IS REAL! I'm way too ashamed to post a pic any bigger than that.

Anyways, back on topic :p

Kahara, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh man, I loved me some 30 Seconds to Mars, but a lot of it was such a downer. I remember one time listening to the album This is War all the way through while I was cleaning and I ended up just sitting down in the middle of my bathroom and crying.

Kahara- I agree Bohemian Rhapsody is pretty upsetting. I LOVE it, but it's not the happy, happy, fun song it kinda sounds like it is at times.

And on the Queen topic - The Show Must Go On might be a good one.

I'm excited to see this challenge based on the songs people are giving! :D

Ewok Poet, Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  21. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    @Ewok Poet: You're welcome.

@Kahara: There won't be any tomatoes thrown by me. After all, we are talking about the song with the lyrics "Mama, just killed a man..."

And I have thought of a few (or four) more songs:

Home by Sheryl Crow
    What happens after the happily after wedding at the end.

Unchain My Heart by Ray Charles
    Ray has woman troubles again.

Cocaine Blues by T.J. "Red" Arnall, best known as performed by Johnny Cash.
    If you can't be a good example--be a terrible warning.

Someday You Will Be Loved by Death Cab for Cutie
    Did someone mention emo?

Ewok Poet, Findswoman and Kahara like this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    My feelings on Jared are mixed. Probably because I didn't like Jordan Catalano and I wanted him the heck away from Angela Chase. :p Bad boys freak me out for some reason. I mean, yeah, I was twelve when MSCL aired, but still. At this point I get that Brian was creepy too, so...

...wow, a MSCL challenge would be fun, for us old farts. Like, every sane person has seen it? The only realistic teen series ever? Why are the ideas running constantly? #ENFPproblems

I've been listening to Sheryl since I was eleven in early 1995 and when the self-titled was out the next year, that one, Sad Sad World and Ordinary Word freaked me out. Sad, sad stuff. :(

I adore this one. Always have, always will. The band was not really popular in my part of the world, but I found them back in '05 on some LiveJournal community and have been listening to them since.

So, yeah, I'll put this together.

Findswoman and Kahara like this.
  23. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Any word on the new challenge?

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
  25. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7