main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #34 Posted: Sonnets Roulette! (4/17, p. 92, #2282)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I just talked to the person I explicitly want to take this over - the OTP Thread will go on, and on. :)

Please, no likes on this comment. My turmoil is heavy and anything that could trigger me is not good for my health.

2. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I declare this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  3. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    This is not very nice. There's a lot going in the previous host's life, yet she was unwilling to let it go for a while. The new host is on it, a list needs to be gathered, but approaching this way is not respectful to any of us. I couldn't keep quiet about this.

4. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    Hello, all. @Findswoman here; I'm now the host of this sock, and I'm pleased to present you with...

OTP Thread Challenge #9: The Distant Beloved

This challenge, whose name I not very imaginatively took from this absolutely gorgeous song cycle by Beethoven, goes like this:

Write a story that focuses on a pairing but in which one member of the pairing is absent—i.e., never appears in person in the story for one (1) of the fifteen (15) reasons listed below—some of which are normal and routine, some more dire, some outright tragic:

In school
    At work or on business trip
    Pleasure trip
    Religious pilgrimage
    Military service
    Imprisonment
    Kidnapped
    Asleep (but not dead)
    Sick/injured/hospitalized
    Out shopping or on routine errand
    Secret mission
    Has left or broken up with lover
    Death
    MIA/whereabouts unknown
    Family has forbidden contact with lover

AND—here's how you will determine which reason to use in your story:

1. Choose (with or without a random number generator) a number between 1 and 15. And notice that this list is not numbered, so the order you see here doesn't necessarily tell you anything about which number goes with which reason! ;)

2. PM that number to this sock—PLEASE DO NOT POST IT HERE. (Note that this is a different procedure from usual for this thread.) However, it's OK to post a public message here to say that you PMd the sock (and indeed, it's probably a good idea as a reminder to me).

3. I (the sock) shall PM you the reason that goes with your number.

4. It's OK for more than one person to end up with the same number, but I shall not share which numbers go with which reasons in this thread—only in PM to individual users. Thus there is going to be a little bit of a secrecy code and an honor system involved here: when you post your story, or when you discuss your choice with others, whether publicly or privately, you may share which reason you got, but please do not share the number that you chose.

5. You are welcome to ask for a new number if you feel the one you chose doesn't work for you. But, again, just for this challenge, please do so by PM only, NOT in this thread.

6. Per usual procedure, this challenge will run for ten weeks, so stories will be due on Monday, January 7, 2019. A two-week voting period will follow.

Enjoy, happy writing, and as always, just ask if you have any questions! :)

Index
    Clear as Day by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha (SW, featuring Leia Organa Solo and Han Solo)
    The Devil You Know by Jedi_Lover (NSW: Lucifer, featuring Lucifer Morningstar and Chloe Decker)
    Complications by Vek Talis (SW, featuring OCs Britmar Seclu and Uanaso)
    Black Is the Color by divapilot (SW, featuring OCs Ryoki "Blue" Akahai and Breha Amidala Solo)
    Alright, who have we got left? by Sith-I-5 (NSW: SHIELD/E-Branch, featuring Pepper Potts and Iron Man [Tony Stark])
    I Don't Know How She Does It by Raissa Baiard (SW, featuring Ezra Bridger and semi-OC Mara Jade Blayne Bridger)

Ad-hoc entries:
    Gaeia by K’Tai qel Letta-Tanku (SW, featuring Obi-Wan Kenobi and OC K’Tai qel Letta-Tanku)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Vek Talis, Ewok Poet, Kahara and 6 others like this.
  5. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Oh this is intriguing! I am going to send a PM.

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Happy wriggles, so am I! [face_love] And let me say @Findswoman is the champion of sock hosting. =D= [face_party] [:D]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  7. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Woohoo! It's great to see this thread continuing on. Sent my PM and already have my prompt. This is going to be so much fun. I almost don't even know where to begin with my ideas. :D [face_love] [face_thinking]

8. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Okay, normally I hate it when people post "I won't be participating" posts, but I feel like I want to explain why I wouldn't be participating. This sounds like so much fun and so much different potential and I REALLY WANT TO PARTICIPATE! (and support our new host). Unfortunately holiday fics have taken over my brain and December for me is just going to be insane and hectic. But I do look forward to what you will be giving us in the future!

9. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    I will participate, but I cannot generate numbers on TapTalk.

Findswoman likes this.
  10. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    @Nehru_Amidala , if you type “random number generator” into your browser bar, it should give you one where you can enter the highest and lowest numbers to generate from. That’s what I did to get my number, because the board doesn’t seem to have the “dice” function anymore.

Vek Talis likes this.
  11. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Cool! Thanks for the advice.

Findswoman likes this.
  12. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    What happened the loving spoonful drabble prompts? I can't find them.[face_nail_biting]

13. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    That's because they're in the Monday Mush Mania thread. Which reminds me...I need to post a new set. :p Darth Real Life has been darthy...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  14. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    What a fun challenge! I've sent in my number and can't wait to see what I get back!

15. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
    This sounds like fun! I've also PM'd for my number. I'm looking forward to seeing what I get back.

16. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Okay, I'm in....although, I really shouldn't as I haven't even started the 'Olde English Music' prompt yet. PM-ing now.

17. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    I need to get a move on it and roll a number.

Findswoman likes this.
  18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I shall give this a go, once the first round of numbers has been shared. Dunno why.

Magnificent challenge!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Vek Talis and Findswoman like this.
  19. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Thanks! :) May I ask what you mean by "once the first round of numbers has been shared"? There aren't really "rounds," as more than one person can choose the same number/plot point (and I'm not listing who receives what in the index/challenge post this time).

Vek Talis likes this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Ah, sorry. :)

Vek Talis and Findswoman like this.
  21. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    Okay, I'm in as well, seems to become a lot of fun.

Just a question are NSW stories eligible as well?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  22. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Fantastic! I believe I've now sent numbers to everyone who has requested them. If I've missed anyone, just holler.

Yes, NSW stories are perfectly fine too. :)

23. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    It’s ok if the challenge entry is part of a longer work, right? I know where I want to fit it but it’s going to be spoilery for the longer fic if I post it as a stand-alone.

24. Vek Talis

Vek Talis Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2018
    I just HAVE to do this one. Pm'd the sock!

25. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Certainly tempted.

I have fics or ideas that would cover three of those...