main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #33 is up: How They Met! (1/28, p. 90, #2231)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I was listing all of them. I'm sure there's not a whole lot of people shipping Siri Tachi and Ferus Olin either.

Oh and I also ship Serra Keto and Anakin Skywalker. Serra Keto is the Jedi who was crushed under some boulders by Vader in the ROTS game. I even made a sock for the ship. So Serrani?

2. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Oh okay then, but you still have a partial list of pairings.

3. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Right.
    Additions welcome. :)

4. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
  5. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Okay people, I have a new ship.

Luke Skywalker/Amilyn Holdo

6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Even now, my instant thought was that you meant spaceship, until I read the names.

EDIT:

For the challenge, I wanted to pair the Shyriiwook-understanding doc from The Force Awakens (fresh from working aboard Sector General multi-species hospital during the Yuuzhan Vong war), with an old New Republic veteran Jawa podracer of mine, for which I managed to find the RPF game he featured in.

I managed to have both Doctor Kalonia, and regular Sector General character, Charge Nurse Naydrad (a sentient caterpillar, though we call them Kelgians) make planetfall on the location of the current podrace; sign up in the Podracer Village; get their ID lanyards, identifying them as sponsors or team staff; and looking from the range of two hundred metres at the back flank of my Jawa's tricked out sandcrawler; then my muse clapped its hands together and said, "Right then, Drabbles!"

Me: "Uh, what about this?"

Muse: "This ain't going to go anywhere."

Me: "I know. Apparently, that is the point of the Challenge."

Muse: "We are going to do drabbles."

Me: "We are going to do drabbles."

Muse: "Drop gun on the way out."

Me: "What gu-" *THUD*

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Woohoo, need to add all the possibles with Jaina [face_laugh] Jaina/Kyp, Jaina/Jag, Jaina/Zekk and Jaina/OC, which have appeared in various fanfics. One was a Knight named Damian & in another his name was Zeb, not to be confused with the one in Rebels [face_laugh] [face_mischief]

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  8. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Oh right.

I'm going to add Mara/Ezra Bridger (Marazra?). and my OC Honor/Horn Ren (AU Valin Horn) (Honlin). Honlin have its own song too!
    (Love me tender by Norah Jones.) And here they are:

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Yes, Marzra. Brought to us by Raissa Baiard [:D] [:D] Who'd've thought I could picture Mara with someone other than Luke? I certainly didn't until... ;) [face_love]

10. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Yep, I'm late in weighing in on my own discussion topic—mea maxima culpa. But here goes, and I'll do my best:

I don't have tons of experience writing romantic pairings of any sort, but of three categories of pairings, I have to say that I've been finding myself particularly gravitating toward EC/OC. In a way, it
    seems like a really good exercise in getting the best of both worlds: one can explore possible untapped dimensions of a well-known character while at the same time using that known character as a reference point for crafting a new character. (Though not just, because one wants the OC love interest to be a fully formed character too, of course!) There are definitely challenges there, because people do indeed have strong ideas about whom they feel ECs would be compatible with; one way I've tried to get around in that for my own part is by concentrating on ECs that are not perceived as romantic anyway. (And that's an interesting exercise too: what would cause such a character to fall in love, and what might they be like once in love?) In my stories published here, one could be said to feature EC/OC romance that's currently in its very early stages, but that I do intend to grow later; I'm working on a few now with a different EC/OC pairing, and I hope to have at least a few of those postable soon.

I have dabbled a tiny bit in EC/EC romance, but only a tiny bit; they don't draw me as much, because I kind of feel like the established lore pretty much already covers things and that there isn't much new that I can add. That said, the only unambiguously EC/EC story I ever wrote—featuring Obi-Wan and Siri—turned out to be one of my most popular (judging by the total number of comments it received), so perhaps that says something about misplaced priorities on my part. :p In general I tend to keep established pairings as they are, though Raissa Baiard 's Marzra is a notable exception, and I have to say I love what she's done with them!

I have a few stories with pairings that I'm not sure how to classify, where one character is an EC but the other is in a gray area between EC and OC anyway. In two stories the gray-area character is the Female Revan, for whom I have devised a sort of slightly cracky AU backstory (incidentally, Revan rhymes with Kevin, Evan, and Devon). In another, the gray-area character is basically the Force, though treated as a sort-of character. These stories too were challenging and instructive to write in the same way that EC/OC pairings are for me, so I guess maybe that's where I would classify them? Still thinking it over. :)

Given that much of my work is OC-centered in general, I guess it's a little odd that I haven't really written much OC/OC romance. My most recent attempt in that area is arguably not romantic at all, since it ends with one half of the pair brutally murdering the other half. If I tried writing this kind of romance in earnest, it would probably be the easiest for me in a way, since, well, the sky's basically the limit! We have some absolutely amazing OC/OC writers here, and I've enjoyed their work immensely. Though for my own part writing-wise, I kind of have to say I rather like the challenge of creating a romance within the restrictions of one existing character; creativity within restrictions has always been an important concept for me. :cool:

11. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Who is that?

12. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
  13. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    ^ That would explain Rey's epic skillz.

14. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    Ladies, gentlemen and others - we have a winner of the latest challenge! :)

Congrats to @Raissa Baiard - everybody go read her story, A Steamy Romance , if you have not done so yet.

The next challenge will be announced in a couple of days. I need some time to put together a list.

15. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    It was fun, and I got some coverage which is better than none at all. So yes, congrats all around.

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  17. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Out of curiosity, who is Ayesha?

18. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    I too would like to express my congratulations to Raissa Baiard.

When everyone else was focusing on a specific type of Crack!Ship, you truly wrote something unique. Well earned!

:Standing Applause:

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Findswoman - oh those plot possibilities sound fantabulous. =D=

Nehru_Amidala - LOL the Ayesha in my username is an OC of the amazing Chyntuck who paired her with the indescribably fascinating Thrawn [face_dancing] Popped right up there in my OTP list, which answers the question [face_laugh] ^:)^ can an EC/OC pairing be an OTP? Yuppers. :) [face_sigh]

20. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Agree with you on that one all the way.

21. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Very, very well deserved, Raissa Baiard! The whole story was a headsplode! [face_coffee][face_love] :zeb:

22. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    :eek: [face_blush] Wow! Thank you very much! I'm so honored that you enjoyed my wacky little crack!ship. It was way too much fun to take one of the least romantic characters I could and ship him with a coffee maker. You'll never know what you missed out on, Chopper! (But Zeb, you have no idea what you're getting into!) A big thank you to Findswoman, whose suggestion it was to have an inanimate object fall in love with a droid, and who is responsible for giving Zeb his undying love for caf.

=D= to MartyAvidianus and Nehru_Amidala for their stories, and many, many thanks for the lovely congratulations! I appreciate it [:D] ZEBSPRESSOS for everyone! :zeb: [face_coffee] :chopper:

23. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Congratulations Raissa!! =D=

24. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
  25. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Big, big, BIG CONGRATULATIONS to my dear friend Raissa Baiard for her very well deserved win and for giving us a whole new spin on the whole notion of a crack!ship! I raise my ZEBSPRESSO-filled tempered glass demitasse cup to you. :zeb:[face_coffee]

And aw shucks, you don't need to thank me—this story was all you, your keen wit, and your flair for characterization. @};- As to the ZEBSPRESSO phenomenon, well, again, shucks—I can say, with Quarrie, "I just hammered it together. You made it soar."

A mighty fine showing by all who took part, and as always I look forward to seeing what Captain Rakkaus has planned for us next! =D=