main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #33 is up: How They Met! (1/28, p. 90, #2231)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Welcome to the club. Most of us EU veterans are well-acquainted with that particular notion... [face_sick]

Chyntuck and Admiral Volshe like this.
  2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Is it sad that I am unphased by the mention of Palpy/Isard? (I've also been reading the Malleus Maleficarum, so that might explain a lot).

Anyways, I realized my last post could be misinterpreted (and I think I lost my train of thought when I was writing it). I didn't mean to say villain/hero wasn't a valid plot device, I just meant to say I wouldn't categorize it as a "villainous ship" (since one party would clearly be a 'good guy'). I've just never seen that situation written well (in a non-parody format). Like it was mentioned, it would take the right circumstances (maybe plenty of grey areas) and planning.

Ewok Poet and Admiral Volshe like this.
  3. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I'm usually not a fan of villain/hero pairing - especially when the villain is an attractive male character who generally menaces the female hero character, and then the female character is hated on because "he just needs someone to love him!" Not that I've come across this in Star Wars much, but it is prevalent in other fandoms.

That said...I kind of have a soft spot for Ventress/Obi-Wan, although I don't think I'd go so far as to ship them. It's too bad Hux is apparently
    out and out evil
    in TFA, because:

[​IMG]

JediMara77, Kahara and metophlus like this.
  4. metophlus

metophlus Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 30, 2015
    Ventress/Obi-Wan?

Hmm. Makes me curious if there's a fic where Obi-Wan gradually softens Ventress to the point she acts more akin to Jack from Mass Effect.

5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    My Imperials tend to be people doing their jobs, usually taken in by the Imperial rhetoric, or deliberately kept away from atrocities carried out in the name of the Emperor.

My Yav and Isard met while agents of the Galactic Republic, during the Clone Wars, stopping the creation of the Loedvian(sp?) Brain Plague.

Her Dad, Armand Isard, was having the entire marine laboratory, with her aboard, tractored up by a VicStar, and dumped in the local sun.
    Yav got to her in time, and rescued her.

So you've got the intense reaction to a parent trying to kill you (though there was a bigger picture), and the same intensity of love for your rescuer, that has sustained their pairing down the ages.

metophlus likes this.
  6. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    ...oh man. I hadn't even thought of Poe/Hux--but NOW I AM! :D

7. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Here's a question I - your basic clueless non-'shipper - have been meaning to ask:

Would you say that 'shipping lets you enjoy the stories more? If so, in what way?

8. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I'm not a shipper either, but I work with character pairings better than one working solo, and enjoy playing one off against the other. A romantic side to things is just another aspect, and for those scenes, a minor part of most role playing games that I am in.

One game, where I was forced to put Yav into suspended animation to get him to the timeline of the game, 145ABY, the prior relationship with Isard provided tremendous impetus and motivation for him to try to re-acquire her remains in order to resurrect her using Sith magicks.
    The EU hadn't made it easy, given how it killed her off; frankly, it was easier, comparatively, going after her clone.

9. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I'm certainly not unphased by the notion that she'd try. Isard was power mad and would do anything to get it.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  10. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    Discussion Time! - Discussion Questions #1
    Special thanks to Ewok Poet for her suggestions, which have been incorporated!

1. How much does romance really matter to you in a story? Why?
    2. Do you consider yourself a romance writer alone? If yes, do you focus on your set pairing(s)?
    3. Do you read stories with only your pairing(s) or do you read anything? Does the genre make a difference?

Challenge #1 is coming soon!!

11. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    1. Ancillary at best. It's nice when an author makes it work, and can help to add depth of character for the main cast of characters in a given story, but I'm okay without it. I suppose this mostly has to do with overall plot, characterization, and world-building being more important to me than individual pairings; for example, the Harry Potter series only got into romantic territory very late, waiting until the world had been sufficiently described to us readers and the overarching plot sufficiently explored before students started pairing off.

2. Though I am no stranger to writing romance, it is hardly my forté; again, it goes back to what I prefer to focus on.

3. I don't restrict myself to specific pairings in the stories I do read. As for genre, I don't read (or particularly care for) pure romance, but other than that I'm fairly open insofar as Star Wars goes.

Admiral Volshe and Ewok Poet like this.
  12. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    1. I'm not going to lie, I do like romance fics. I enjoy character-driven stories and the vast majority of character driven fics are romance fics. But romance isn't necessary, nor does it have to be a main part for me to enjoy it. However, part of the reasons why I turned to fanfic was the lack of character-driven and romantic story lines in profic.

2. I don't consider myself a soul romance writer, but it is a large majority of what I write (hey, my current WIP is a romantic comedy). As for 'set pairings', I just write what the muse wants.

3. I'd like to think I'm pretty open to what I read, however, when there just isn't enough time for me to read everything I'd like to, I (shamefully) default to what authors or ships I know I'll enjoy. But sadly, lately, I haven't been able to even do that.

JadeLotus and Admiral Volshe like this.
  13. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    1. Romance matters if it helps move the larger plot of my story along. I tend to write some pretty heavy metaphysical (read: OMFG, so ****ing boring) stuff where relationships play a large role in providing a bridge between life and death for certain characters. Love is usually fatal in my GFFA, but it opens doors to a larger world. :p

2. I'm not a romantic type in my personal life, so it's kind of a stretch for me to write about in my fictional universes. Usually when I do go about writing it, there's more than just the "mush" factor attached to the story. It's about moments of connection, even when there is really nothing going in (actually, that's true for anything in my stories. Basically nothing ever seems to be happening on the surface, but there is usually something going on just below the words).

3. I generally prefer pairings that I'm familiar with, which basically rules out anything that is Legends EU related. I never got into those books, and trying to read fics with pairings from those books would require me to pull out reference materials just to understand what is going on.

14. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Like for everything apart the "so ****ing boring" part because it's not true. As I have said in the other thread, it demands proper concentration and attention and I'd rather wait than say a random nonsense and never look again. I come back to your stories, dangamit. And some of them are my favourites on this board. :)

*typing up my own responses*

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  15. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    It depends on the story. Most often for me, it's just to help things along. Perhaps it may enhance my characters' relationships? Maybe something happened to bring two characters together? Maybe they started as friends and grew closer? Or, maybe nothing happens at all and it's totally platonic.

And for the record, you can have a platonic ship. I have a few.

Nope. My attempts at romance and mush were borderline smut. I know nothing of writing romance.

I read anything, but if my OTP are featured or anyone of my OTP's species (for my nonhuman and mixed ships), I'll give it a look. Genre doesn't really matter, but I don't read too much romance and only certain types of comedy fics.

16. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Romance is important but it isn't the only thing that makes a fic interesting. Romance fics tend to be character driven rather than action driven, and I'm not a big "space battle" kinda gal. Romance is a fun genre but I will read anything that's interesting.

I guess I do write a lot of romance, but I've also written horror, humor, and introspection pieces. I tend to write the characters I am best familiar with: Luke/Mara or OC. I've also written Talon/Shada and lately Han/Leia. I don't know anything about any characters pre-movies so I don't write "Before" fics.
    I try to make my stories about issues rather than simply romantic pairings. The characters may fall in love, but they are also dealing with some kind of internal conflict or social issue, too.

I admit, I'm more likely to read if the relationship is one I'm familiar with. I tend toward L/M. But that doesn't mean I won't read other pairings. I've read some beautiful OC pairings, A/P, and others. The story has to work; the characters aren't that critical as long as I believe them and they make me feel something toward them.

17. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Strange critical questions about 'shipping' for a thread that was established to discuss OTPs and Pairings but whatever.

1. How much does romance really matter to you in a story? Why?
    What matters to me most is the character. If the story features a character I care strongly for, then I will read. If it does not, then I don't. Do I prefer romance? Not exclusively, but I do enjoy it. In many instances with many characters, simply because of the lack of "canon" romance, fiction that includes or exclusively focuses on romantic plotlines is a natural extension of the character.

As far as romance goes, I'm old enough to recognize and remember that fanfiction has its very roots in writers wanting to explore romantic angles of their favorite characters and their partners - their OTPs you might say - and as youngster many years ago that's how I came to fandom in the first place. It's how I became involved in fandom in the first place. It's been a place to explore emotion, humanity, and yes, sexuality, too. To place any tawdry implications around the word "romance" is really ill-conceived and offensive.

2. Do you consider yourself a romance writer alone? If yes, do you focus on your set pairing(s)?
    I write predominantly romance, family dynamics, or emotional introspection. To the second question, yes, of course, but also single (solo) characters.

3. Do you read stories with only your pairing(s) or do you read anything? Does the genre make a difference?
    I'll read what interests me, 'ship or no ship. If you're not writing about anything that interests me, then I don't read it. It is just that simple. To expect someone to apologize for that is, in my opinion, inappropriate, no matter how desperate the writer is for hits. No, the genre doesn't matter.

Briannakin , divapilot and JadeLotus like this.
  18. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    It's one asset among many in a story to me. It's not necessary, but when pulled off well you almost can't imagine the story without it.

I write almost everything, though I do have my favored genres. So, no, I don't consider myself a romance author alone.

I read a lot, not just specific pairings. I do like reading action and drama genres, so I do like reading romantic plots in those genres.

19. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    I like romance and think its a shame that as far as literature goes "romance" is often equated with "trashy". This is an excellent article about why romantic fiction should not be derided. Personally, I find the scorn heaped on romance to be on par with the Not Like Other Girls nonsense - "I don't write romance, I'm a serious writer!" :p (To be clear, I'm not talking about anyone in particular here, just the general vibe I often see out in the literary community).

I like character-driven stories and fic about interpersonal relationships, and romance is a common element of that. But the question of how much does romance matter to me in a story...I mean...how much does action matter to me? How much does humour? Much like taramidala, I like to read fic about my favourite characters which includes gen, friendship fic and ship fic. Some of the most wonderful character stuff I've read has been in romance fic - especially with a couple like Luke/Mara who both go through such growth and change over the course of their relationship.

I don't consider myself any "kind" of writer, but yes I do write a lot of romance. I usually focus on set pairings because those are the characters I'm interested in and those are the plot bunnies which bite the hardest.

I usually stick to fic about characters I like or with interesting set-ups - I have tried to branch out a bit more this year in what I read and genre really doesn't make a difference. Time period does - I don't know anything about pre-Prequels era so don't venture there - Prequels era fic I might check out if the premise is interesting or its about characters I enjoy - OT and Beyond is my favourite era, and I like AUs, Rebellion-centric and Big 3 fic.

20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    People should write how they feel. I always had these complicated, introspective, problem-on-every-step things going on, long before I even touched the internet (think creepy child :p) and this is why I find it hard to separate genres. That is why I asked the third question - my POV is weird by nature and I want to see what the common POV is like.

1. As an avid Chekhovian, I don't like throwing stuff that has no purpose into a story. So, if I see no purpose for romance, there won't be romance. It comes naturally when the place and time is right. Same goes for the amount of romance that will be explored - if people should kiss, they'll kiss. If it's a fling or an one-night-stand, it's a fling or an one-night-stand.

2. No, but sometimes yes. :D

I second the points people made before me, about reflecting character growth. I would just like to add that it's not always possible - some people can only grow properly when on their own.

My #OTP always that wonderful aspect of two young beings going through their awkward adolescence together, drifting apart solely to come closer together. There is character growth that is reflected through their romance and their romantic relationship is reflected through their character growth. I absolutely and totally enjoy writing every single aspect of their romance.

As far as other possibilities for pairing in my current fics go, there is an extremely disturbing relationship on the horizon, as well as a cute one, but neither are the focus of the story. However, for a sequel to both of them, I am planning to focus on romance a bit more than I'm used to - to the point where there are four couples in it, each with different story and different dynamics. So far, there is a lot of construction and deconstruction of the Cinderella story on various aspects. When it comes to the points where it gets slightly steamy, there is a lot of female gaze, a lot of stuff I rarely ever see in fics.

3. Since I am the only person writing my #OTP, I guess that would restrict me to not reading anything? Then again, I diiiid start that way on here, out of sheer fear that whatever I comment on other people's stories will be a sign of absolute clueless-ness of a fandom returnee. I read whatever catches my attention, genre does not make a difference. If the pairing thing is overwhelming and consuming the story, I might go like "meh, forget it" and leave it to people to whom it means something and who understand it to enjoy, but this is not to say that it cannot be pulled off properly.

21. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Clearly we don't read a lot of the same fics - fanfic is pretty much all about the female gaze! ;)

taramidala likes this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Ducks are boring. There are more birds in the skies.

23. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    I'm an arms girl, myself ;)

mavjade and taramidala like this.
  24. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Well shoot, that certainly explains a lot. Not that there's anything wrong with it... ;)

JadeLotus likes this.
  25. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    But ducks fly together...

I'm sorry, you edited your post so you lost me.