main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #33 is up: How They Met! (1/28, p. 90, #2231)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    Stopping by to check in—one week left, everyone! Can't wait to see what we'll get. :) But as always, if RL keeps you from completing by the deadline, you can still at least have your story listed in the index once it's done (and indeed, I have done that very thing for your newest story, @Pandora, and I'm glad to see that your fairy tale story is continuing too, @Sith-I-5.)

@Mira_Jade, I've added your new story to the index, and yes, it's totally fine to have that one count as the "official" entry instead—I've moved your BNHA story to a separate "ad-hoc/unofficial" section of the index now. (And yes, ad-hoc, noncompetitive entries on any prompt are always welcome at any time. :) )

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    AAAhhh. So, I had an idea for this, started writing it a while back, but a plot hole kinda made me frustrated and give up. However I just re-read the ~700 words I have so far and I think I have figured out the issue. Buuuut can I get it done in a week... maybe? We will see. I'm in a very 'procrastinating' mood.

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay-dokey, have posted two instalments for Spoon Raiding (Yav and Ysanne).

I managed to edit my challenge prompt into the second instalment; not easy. Easily an hour, swapping out tracts of text to try and avoid duplication, and keep things straight.

My concept was inspired by @Findswoman 's tale of the Squib with the exotic wares shop on Coruscant, particularly a jewel-encrusted spoon therein, and the king it belonged to. I wanted to use the same spoon (or at least the same dinner set), but like an idiot, I got the king's name wrong, developed a pun regarding the name, then I could either keep the pun or correct the name....and you know I'm gonna keep the pun.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    Kahara, Mira_Jade and Findswoman like this.
  4. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Excellent, @Sith-I-5! Index updated—please confirm that I got the names right. :)

And now, while I'm here, what do y'all say to a new discussion topic? :D Here is a wonderful one proposed by @Raissa Baiard:

Discussion #12: "The Sequential Passage of Chronological Intervals; or, As Time Goes By"
    Have you ever written your OTP(s) at more than more than stage of their relationship. (e.g., young and newly in love vs. grown and married many years, etc.)? If so, how have they changed or grown over that time, and what things have remained the same for them? What are the challenges of writing the same couple over a long (in-universe) period of time? Do you find some of the stages easier or harder to write than others? Feel free to share any anecdotes, examples, advice, etc., and have fun! :)

5. TheRynJedi

TheRynJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 20, 2018
    Lol. That's part of my problem with the challenge. I'm wanting to finish an earlier story in their timeline before I write the later one. Sigh.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful discussion =D=

I have written Spock/Nyota and Luke/Mara at various points in their relationship.

For the first, it took place in a ficlet series where I wrote them as getting together as a couple through drawing closer and wound up having them be parents. For Luke and Mara, it wasn't one story but in various one-shots where I have written them discovering in an aha! fashion that they care for one another as more than friends, and one time or two I've written them as parents and one time as grandparents.

Things that have changed: naturally the depth of shared experiences and emotional maturing has made the characters different than they were/would have been at the start of the relationship. The comfort level is greater.

The snark, love, respect, and trust are things that have not changed with time.

I love writing about new and growing love, the process and journey of it all.

Writing of mature love is also delicious because of all the couple has gone through together, which has made them stronger. These things can be detailed in some fashion or not, depending on the demands and intent of the story. [face_thinking]

Kahara, Mira_Jade and Findswoman like this.
  7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes. Part of the reason why I've really gravitated towards vignette series in the past few years is the freedom to "jump around", particularly with my/mav's OCs, but also Josh/Donna. Normally, I do prefer to write more established relationships - even with SW stuff, but there are OTPs in both fandoms I've written at for both stages in their relationship. I feel more comfortable writing more established relationships because you can introduce more conflict and angst within and surrounding the relationship and you know the pair is likely to survive. Not saying young love can't survive difficult times, but I think having a longer relationship will put things into prospective. With a more established relationship, you can have the couple mad at each other, but still very much in love, so they can be disagreeing one minute, but still kissing each other goodnight. Writing "falling in love" stories is a bit more difficult for me (perhaps a different discussion question for a different time). However, with my/Mav's OCs, because they are SOOOO relatable in their awkwardness, I've begun to love writing the more "young love" storylines.

How have they changed/grown: I feel like for my OCs, Elvie/Rose, because the relationship started relatively soon after Elvie's injury, at the beginning of the relationship, along with Rose's 'awkwardness'/'inexperience' surrounding dating/marrying a person with a disability, Elvie is also still adapting to having a disability. In the beginning, I think Rose may be apprehensive about how much she is allowed to physically care for Elvie VS how much independence he wants/needs. Later on in their relationship, she's TOTALLY fine with nagging him about pressure sores, doing stretches, and generally just yelling at him for being an idiot when it comes to pushing his body past his limits. To a degree, we also kinda see this dynamic in the show with President Bartlet/Abbey.

For Leo/Marc, I feel a big thing about their growth in their relationship is trust. Marc learning to trust in love and Leo learning that even though he may do things that hurt Marc or that Marc may disagree with, that Marc will still trust and love Leo.

I guess my challenge is also kinda advice: figure out how the characters have developed as people, and see how that has changed the relationship. You need dynamic characters that can change to have a dynamic relationship.

Great topic. I could blab about this for so much longer.

Lol. This is kinda my problem too. I spent so much time on establishing backstory for the challenge and now that I'm at the actual challenge scene, I'm just having a brain-fart. Plus it's a "falling in love" story, which I'm not the best at.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  8. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Affirmative. The names are correct.

Findswoman likes this.
  9. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Okay I´ve uploaded the first part of my entry: A noble´s Duty
    Though its the scene leading up to the date rather than the date itself, so I guess I won´t get this finished in time.(Or would it be possible to upload an unbetaed chapter as a placeholder?)

10. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Thanks so much, Anedon! I've got it in the index now. The story doesn't have to be finished, and it's fine for the date scene to come later, as long as it appears before the voting period closes (voting lasts for two weeks after the due date, so that will be through about April 24). :)

11. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
  12. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Great! Got it in the index, too. What a wonderful turnout this challenge is having so far! :D

13. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Totally my fault. I was a very bad beta and it took me two weeks to see that he had sent me the draft. [face_blush]

Findswoman likes this.
  14. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Oh, don't say that, you are an excellent beta. :)

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Falling Apart At The Seams is up.

IDK. I debated not posting it because I'm not very happy with it. I spent a lot of time on the vignettes kinda leading up in order to kinda put this story into context with the OCs, so the actual story challenge itself got both lost and rushed (plus DRL kinda threw me off). but it was mostly done so I just finished it.

Findswoman likes this.
  16. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Great, thanks so much, @Briannakin! :) I've got it in the index and just would like to check if the characters' names are listed correctly there, or if they should be different.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, they are correct.

Findswoman likes this.
  18. TheRynJedi

Jun 20, 2018
    Findswoman likes this.
  19. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hallelujah the muse decided to cooperate! :D

Mayor Lyman in Bar Fight, Two Arrested is up in NSWFF. It's pretty self-contained, I think. No need to know The West Wing or the Bri-and-mav 'verse.

Sith-I-5 and Findswoman like this.
  20. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Great to see the entries rolling in! :D Got both of yours in the index now, @TheRynJedi and @mavjade. Just to confirm, Mav: Leo and Marc are both OCs, right (so I can make sure they’re listed correctly)?

So, wow, we’re at ten votable entries now! That’s two-thirds of the total number that were handed out—not too shabby! [face_dancing]

21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Yes, Leo and Marc are both OCs. Sorry, I meant to put that for you but I forgot!

Findswoman likes this.
  22. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    All right, everyone, it's time to VOTE on the OTP Challenge #10: DATE NITE GON RONG!! This time we have ten (10) wonderful stories competing in the challenge. Here they are, in alphabetical order by author's name:
    We also have two (2) wonderful out-of-competition entries:
    Here's what to do: PM your vote to this sock by 11:59 pm PST on April 25. (So you'll have about two weeks to read and vote.)

Here's what not to do: vote more than once, vote for yourself, vote using a sock as well as your normal account, vote for an out-of-competition story, vote for something that's not part of this challenge, etc.

Here's when the winner will be announced: on or about April 26 or 27 (barring all RL catastrophe).

Happy reading and voting! :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Kahara, Sith-I-5, mavjade and 4 others like this.
  23. TheRynJedi

Jun 20, 2018
    Ok, if you were holding off reading it for me to finish, you can go ahead now, it’s done :)

Sith-I-5 and Findswoman like this.
  24. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Just uploaded part two, of three, of my story. The third part is also finished and I will post it a few days.
    Thanks to my wonderfull beta @divapilot for her help and support :)

25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Sounds like good progress, @Anedon

Just posted my fourth instalment. Material added to my first instalment to tie this to @Findswoman 's Gleebaloola stories, and the muse wanted to account for someone lost in the Infinity War Snap. :cool:

Findswoman likes this.