main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #34 Posted: Sonnets Roulette! (4/17, p. 92, #2282)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Ah, ships.

• Luke/Mara (obviously, I will go down with this ship, etc. etc.)
    • Kanan/Hera (SPACE MARRIED FOREVER)
    • Wedge/Tycho (one of my new favorites; I will write fic of it eventually)
    • Wedge/Iella (yes, he can like both men and women)
    • Corran/Mirax
    The movie isn't out yet, but I imagine I will be shipping Rey/Finn something fierce. I also need another male pilot to ship Poe Dameron with, because Star Wars needs a big gay hero.
    Speaking of gay heroes, I loved Sinjir in Aftermath, and want him to have a relationship in Book 2 or 3 so badly. But there's nobody I ship him with yet...except maybe Wedge, lol.

2. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    OC ships, for sure.

Non-SW, I'm not sure. If there's enough interest it may be better to have Non-SW separately, in NSWFF (since its not my speciality).

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    The only reason I even mentioned the age gap was because he was never older than a minor in Legends, so yeah, he'd have to be older than that.
    And because when the discussion came up in the old Ben Skywalker thread, we thought the gap was around 5 or so years, and to have that double might have changed how some fics might have read.

I haven't finished the first season of Rebels yet (need to, before the new season starts!), but I was a fan of Kanan/Hera right away. They have a great dynamic!

Kahara likes this.
  4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I am not sure if this has ever been fanfic, but in roleplay on these thar Boards, I commandeered a scene from the James Bond film, The Spy Who Loved Me - his rescue of Agent Romanova from Stromberg's marine laboratory - to establish a relationship between a young, pre-Empire Ysanne Isard, and Yavinelf Dangerrescue, an Everquest half-elf character of mine, that I had brought into the SW universe.

[​IMG]

Yavinelf and Ysanne escape Thromberg the Hutt's marine laboratory

Now, she is director of Imperial Intelligence, and Lord Nelf is with the Inquisitorious, hunting jedi on the Emperor's behalf.

5. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    eeee, villainous ships...

...wanna sink those with my submarine-launched Mk.18 electric torpedoes. :D

6. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't sink my ships, Goodwood! D:

(Anyways, "good" is a point of view. :p )

7. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Technically... Toryuckuss is a villain ship. That ship started its maiden voyage when Zuckuss was still under the employ of the Empire.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  8. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    My main EC OTP will be surprising to few: Luke/Mara. Or...more specifically, Luke/Happiness, which can include an OC, of which I have read a couple and enjoyed.

I, too, have been finding Kanan/Hera fic to be enjoyable.

Obi-Wan/Sabé are probably my #2 OTP at the moment even though it's a decades-old pairing and not one that ever really had much traction.

Anakin and Padmé can be interesting to me in certain circumstances, but usually in darker takes on redemption fics.

Rude. :p

Kahara, JadeLotus and leiamoody like this.
  9. metophlus

metophlus Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 30, 2015
    Bastila/Exile. Bastile. Exila.

Ewok Poet, Admiral Volshe and Exeter like this.
  10. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012

Meetila? Bastra? Sharik? Surhan? :p

I'm now wondering if that one Jedi from SW:TOR was a product of this...

metophlus likes this.
  11. metophlus

Jun 30, 2015
    "You magnificent Bastra, I read your FIC!"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJXKVOxqkWM

Kahara, Exeter and Admiral Volshe like this.
  12. metophlus

Jun 30, 2015

pssst. Goodwood.

Bastila's supposed to be 18 in KotOR. devs said so.

"You ain't that much older than me, Miss High 'N Mighty." - Mission Vao, age 14. That said, in my universe, she's 22 during that period, cuz 18 doesn't cut it for me either. she's clearly played to be older.

Ewok Poet and Admiral Volshe like this.
  13. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    The source I found says 22-23 for Bastila's age at the time of KoTOR. I'm not sure if she was ever given a "canon age", more of an age-range of early 20s (which seems to be a common thing - age ranges that is - in this fandom).

Anyways. I forgot to say, L/M will always remain my original OTP, though I have drifted away.

As for villainous ships, I've never explored that realm, though it suddenly intrigues me.

14. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnkkkkkkkkkkk

15. metophlus

Jun 30, 2015
    22 year-old Basti FTW!

Briannakin : There was a villainous ship in Annihilation by Drew Karpyshyn. I can't remember its exact powers. I think it augmented the Falleen Sith captain's mental capacity or something.

Speaking of a Falleen. What about... Xizor and his android? Does that count? I read SotE once a long time ago. Before you were born.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  16. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Gizor/Xuri is a legit ship.

17. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    If cast chemistry is anything to go by, I will be shipping Rey/Finn and Poe/Hux :p

mavjade and Exeter like this.
  18. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    I kind of want to know what everyone's definition of villainous ship is now. Because I've noticed they vary through most media. Some consider it a relationship between two villains only, some as long as a villain is involved it qualifies...

Personally. I consider it only mine with the Big Bad guys, the ones whose actions are truly despicable. In my mind everyone else is not truly good or evil, though. :p

Kahara and metophlus like this.
  19. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    [​IMG]

One of my favorite shots from the trailer.

Agree w/ metophlus, this is a villainous ship.

20. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Pssh. That's a badass zombie ship. :p

21. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Villainous ships can be either villain/villain or villain/someone-not-necessarily-villainous, or even villain/hero(ine) provided the author can actually make it work rather than it being some cheap solution to artificially inflate drama (jilted lover being one of the more popular, to be sure).

For me, at least, the lingering disgust at contemplating a villainous ship is realizing that someone is actually in a relationship with a person whom most of the audience is supposed to root against—to say nothing of what that person has done to earn the title of villain. In the case of anyone cohabiting with such a person as Ysanne Isard, it is more of a case of realizing how icky and screwed-up a person she is, and wondering what kind of man would willingly take up with her and how she would treat them. I'm far less grossed out by the idea of Xizor and Guri having liaisons because while Xizor is clearly a bad guy, he's much more of a pragmatist and Guri, well she's not really much more than your typical android...at first; when she eventually develops a will of her own, she does not mourn her former boss. As for Zuckuss and Toryn, well that's easy: Zuckuss was never really that enthused about the Empire despite the fact he worked for them, and he came around when the Rebels helped him to heal, due in no small part to Toryn's intervention if I'm to understand things correctly.

So yeah, villain ships are fine, but they should work for the story, and not against it.

22. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    I guess some of that's really a foreign topic to me, then. I root for what most would consider the bad guys, though, so that might be part of it. :p

It definitely can cause a lot of problems when a pairing is there just because. As you said, inflating drama. It can also be a cheaper way of deflating drama, too. I've seen it used both ways.

As for the disgust, I can see that with a few people. But then again, I think they can still have relationships - they're just bound to be very screwed up and nowhere close to happy as we know it. In my opinion, those are challenging but rewarding to write. For the reason that they are so different from what most people expect from a relationship.

Kahara likes this.
  23. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    BTW, SotE came out in late '96. I'm young, BUUUT I'm not that young.

Anyways, I define a "villainous ship" as a pirate ship :p YAR har har har.

Okay, but seriously, I define it as villain/villain or villain/anyone who isn't a hero (no offense to anyone, but I've never seen a villain/hero ship work, and I've certainly never been able to write one). But, of course, "villainous ships" have to make sense for the story, and I guess you have to go into the whole "who is really a villain in the SW universe". I'm a tad ashamed to say this but I enjoy the idea of an Aurra Sing/Hondo Ohnaka fic. I'm not sure if either can be considered "villains" but I don't think they'd be "good guys". You would kinda go into it knowing that "love" wouldn't be a top priority in that relationship.

And I did imply a Daala/OC in one of my first fics. So I guess anyone can be written in a relationship.

Kahara, TrakNar and Admiral Volshe like this.
  24. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    [face_rofl]
    Pirate ship.

I think villain/hero can work. It takes the right circumstances and a lot of planning though. You can't just throw it together.

Daala would probably be easier than most, in my opinion.
    But as Ysanne was mentioned, I personally go for a interesting Palpatine/Ysanne pairing. It's definitely not typical. Nor does anyone want it to even exist, for the most part. :p

Ewok Poet likes this.
  25. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Palpatine/Isard... I really didn't need that image in my head :eek:

Ewok Poet likes this.