main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #33 is up: How They Met! (1/28, p. 90, #2231)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Fun discussion!

Luke/Mara is certainly one of my favorite meetings for an OTP, nothing like pure hate at first sight to make a love story. :D

Ben Skywalker/Jysella Horn - To my knowledge we don't know exactly when they met, but I've always imagined that they were at Luke's academy together and were really close friends that grew to more as they aged. In my mind they just kinda always... were. Young, innocent love that turned into a true partnership as they grew up.

And for my newest OTP on the NSWFF side (I bet people can totally guess where this is going! You guys are going to hate me, sorry!) The West Wing - Josh/Donna. Their meeting was shown in flashbacks and I'd say it was certainly something at first sight. I don't know that it was love, but I don't think it took long for the attraction to grow and their first meeting certainly shows that attraction. Josh gives Donna his campaign badge after she convinces him she can be useful to the presidential campaign and she just looks so joyful, and the looks they give each other are quite beautiful. In fact, in the script for the episode it said she takes the badge trying not to show that it's the first piece of jewelry anyone has ever given her. [face_love]
    If anyone really wants to watch it, the clip of their first meeting is in the spoiler tag.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Ben and Jysella first meeting would have been at Shelter in the NJO series.

Jaina and Jag's first meeting.
    Anakin and Tahiri.

Captain Rakkaus and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    If Mav is talking TWW, than I am too (and there's nothing you people can do to stop us :p ). Josh/Donna is my #3 OTP for that fandom. And yeah, there was certainly something from that first meeting. I heard somewhere that Aaron Sorkin (the creator of TWW) originally saw the Josh/Donna as a big brother/little sister relationship (not in any incestuous sort of way, more like annoying each other while remaining on each-other's sides) thus why they didn't get together in Sorkin's four seasons. Anyways, I think you can see that kind of in their first meeting and it works for the "long-game' that was the Josh/Donna relationship

My #2 OTP is Charlie/Zoey. Their first meeting was when Zoey (the president's daughter) was visiting her father and making chili and Charie (the president's personal aide) comes into the kitchen to give her orders from her father, which she ignores. Charlie is simply so very polite and unsure of his place with the president's daughter, despite them being about the same age. But Zoey is very "treat me like a normal human being." I couldn't find a clip of the meeting, but the section of the transcript is below

CUT TO: INT. RESIDENCE KITCHEN - NIGHT
    The President's youngest daughter, ZOEY BARTLET, is cooking chili in a big
    casserole.
    Behind her, Josh looks at the door window and sneaks in. Zoey, not taking
    a look,
    smiles as she realizes that Josh came in. From behind, Josh tries to surprise
    her.

JOSH
    Drop the spoon!

ZOEY
    I knew it was you.

JOSH
    You look good!

ZOEY
    And, you look like death in a triscuit.

JOSH
    Oh, thanks very much. I'm seeing a new barber.

ZOEY
    I heard you've been having a little nutty today.

JOSH
    Mind your own business. [beat] What classes are you taking?

ZOEY
    Mind your own business.

JOSH
    Okay.

CHARLIE
    [enters] Excuse me.

JOSH
    Charlie, you met Zoey Bartlet?

CHARLIE
    No, it's a pleasure to meet you, ma'am. I'm Charlie Young.

ZOEY
    Hi.

JOSH
    Okay, hang on a second. Let's take it back a moment and give it another
    chance.
    This is a girl, Charlie. You don't have to call her 'ma'am.'

CHARLIE
    I beg your pardon. Did I call you...

ZOEY
    Zoey.

CHARLIE
    I should call you Zoey?

ZOEY
    [smiles] If I can call you Charlie.

CHARLIE
    Yes... Um, I have a message for you from the President.

JOSH
    That would be her father.

CHARLIE
    You're forbidden from adding additional cumin to the chili.

ZOEY
    Charlie, check the door to see if my father's nearby?

CHARLIE
    Ma'am, I...

JOSH
    Ah, ah, ah. [looks out the door]

CHARLIE
    Zoey, I have certain instructions, and I don't want to get in trouble...

JOSH
    You're fine.

ZOEY
    Taste this. [offers Charlie a taste] Doesn't it need cumin?

CHARLIE
    It needs oregano.

ZOEY
    Well, let's get to work.

JOSH
    See, you guys. [exits]

My number one OTP for TWW, for some bizzare reason, is Matt Santos/Helen Santos. Sadly, we don't get to know a ton about them since Matt is only a primary character for about a season and a half and his wife only makes appearances in half of those episodes, so we never get to see (or even get a mention about) how they met. But FANFIC WILL FIX THIS! Eventually. (As a side note totally unrelated to the discussion, Helen is a bit of a polarizing figure given how unfortunately written her character is at times, but I like her. I see her as a very supporting, but sometimes sarcastic wife who got thrust into a world of American Presidential politics - a world that she never expected to be in, so she's lost. I kinda see Matt/Helen as Bail/Breha of the "real world", and not just because Jimmy Smits plays both men, so I guess that's why I'm drawn to them as my OTP of TWW)

4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    And to think that I had *almost* written "Of course, you can talk about Josh and Donna" in this response. XD

Captain Rakkaus likes this.
  5. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Strange co-incidence, I'm on a West Wing re-watch binge myself at the moment since I'm stuck at home with a cold.

I never really cared for Josh/Donna (probably because I really dislike Josh) but I always loved the relationship between the President and Abby, and quite liked Danny/CJ too. I always thought Sam and Ainsley Hayes should have ended up together.

When it comes to Star Wars, L/M's already been mentioned. I also love Rey and Finn's meet-cute.

6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Chants: "one of us! one of us!" (Sorry, Mav got me hooked over the summer and I love it). I loved President Bartlet and Abbey as well. They were adorable sometimes (one of my favourite moments is one of Abbey's "We'll do mushy later. So, for now, I just gotta say I love you so much that my head's going to fly off. But, more importantly, game on, boyfriend! Let's go!" and she cuts his tie).

Anyways. So I was mentally finished with my homework, so I found and I read some VERY 90s comics for the meeting of Winter and Tycho and it was so very worth it. This is from Star Wars: X-Wing, Rogue Squadron: The Rebel Opposition.

I’ve transcribed their first meeting below. It’s great and it has stirred the muse, and I’m hoping it will stir someone else’s too (because this took me awhile).

Basically, Wes Janson gets shot down, Tycho goes to the rescue, they hide out in a cave when suddenly “Princess Leia” (or rather someone who looks like her), arrives, and this is the dialogue:

Wes: I’m hallucinating, I think I see Princess Leia standing behind you with a blaster

Tycho: You’ve got a fever alright.

Winter: Shut up and turn around

Tycho: Wha? Highness! What are you doing here?

Winter: Holding a blaster on you and asking the questions and if I don’t like the answers, I’m going to start shooting.

(and that’s it for their scene in issue 1. It picks up in issue 2 with:)

Tycho: Tycho Celchu, Lieutenant, Republic Space Force, serial number 68970024

Wes: Come on Tycho, it’s Princess Leia. What’s with the POW act?

Tycho: You know what they can do with Plastiforms, Wes, she could be anybody.

Winter: That’s right. It so happens, I’m not Princess Leia Organa. Dame Winter at your service. All right, Tycho, Just what are you Cross Jockeys doing out here?

Tycho: Dame Winter, there’s some sort of carnivore creeping up behind you. We had some trouble with them earlier.

Winter: Oh really Lieutenant… do you expect me to fall for that?

Wes: Please, Ma'am, he’s not kidding.

Tycho: Wes, can you reach your gun? One of us should be able to wing it if Winter doesn’t kill us both

Winter then turns around and shoots it and says that she believed him(?). She goes on to explain that they are called Ronks and the female meat is deadly, but the male meat is a delicacy, so they are lucky they are currently eating a male. The scene continues (but I was too lazy to type it out) with them hatching a plan to make Tycho pass as an imp to get the info she needs. It ends with Winter using Tyco’s drink he gave her(?) to kill a creature and I think it’s supposed to be a “your coffee sucks” joke.

In the 3rd issue Tycho is thinking of Winter as he walks through the woods of the planet. It’s cute. She reminds him of his sister who died on Alderaan when he was in the imperial navy.

Then it cuts to Winter and Wes talking about Tycho and she fills him in on Tycho’s past, which makes me question if they knew each other before the above meeting? Or if she just knew very intimate details of his life? Anyways. Reading it inspired me and I recommend seeking it out if you are a Tycho/Winter fan.

Edit: a further story arc clears my last question: Winter read Tycho's file, that's how she knew about him.

7. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
  8. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Ewok Poet

Soooo, do you want when a pair first met, or when romantic feelings were kindled?

9. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Ewok Poet - If you guys welcome NSWFF pairings, then I am more than happy to see them here too. I don't think that we'd have enough interest for a thread of our own, so there's nothing to worry about with stealing traffic. On the contrary, I am more than happy to see anything this thread will produce in the future. I thank you for including us! :)

And, as for the current discussion, my Star Wars OTP is Luke/Mara, as well. Surprise, I know! Like many mentioned above, I loved the conflict-at-first-sight they had - knowing that they would have a long road before even seeing eye to eye, and yet hoping that they would walk that road. Then, with their friendship ending the way it did in TLC, I was hooked. I tend to prefer relationships that build up over time - and even circle about in denial - before they are fully realized as romance. And Luke/Mara certainly hit that note for me . . . perhaps a bit too much, in the end. :rolleyes:

As for NSWFF OTPs . . . well, there are so many of them. Where do I begin? I've been all over the fandom checker-board, so I won't even try to get into every pairing I adore. But, it gives me all sorts of happiness to see The West Wing here, so I will throw my two cents in with that, first. ;)

I have to agree with Josh/Donna being my TWW OTP (see my aforementioned statement about drawn out build-up and denial). The "I wouldn't stop for traffic lights" line is one of my favourite bits of dialogue between two characters ever, romantic relationship or not. And, after that, it's honestly the Josiah/Abbey Bartlet pairing for me, even when Abbey pushes my buttons as a character at times. Really, can we talk about the fact that their first meeting was when he still thought he would become a priest? Yep. All sorts of interesting, there. [face_mischief] And Zoey/Charlie - oh my goodness, too perfect for words, even during that stint with her ridiculous Vicomte boyfriend, just . . . okay, this is a show with a lot of OTPs, now that I think of it. [face_love]

Personally, I tend to write a lot of gen!fic, more so than stories with an outright romantic focus. But, if you were to ask me what I most enjoy writing, it's my Silmarillion ficlets. Of which, Caranthir/Haleth is my OTP, pretty much hands down. For a little backstory, since the Silmarillion isn't as well-known as The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit: they invert the human/elf trope with a male elf and a female human, and they are not quite as fit for a romantic song as Arwen/Aragorn or Lúthien/Beren. They were definitely not love at first sight, http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-silmarillion-this-taste-of-shadow-ficlets-and-drabbles-updated-7-02.50009080/page-3#post-51197500]and[/url] I wrote my own version of their first meeting here. Caranthir met Haleth after barely lifting a finger to save her people during an Orc-raid (this being very early in the history of man-kind, and Men thus being beneath the notice of an elvish prince - but, hey, her house is one of the Three Houses that eventually united to make up Aragorn's noble bloodline, so there's that :p). Caranthir expected praise for his courteous intervention, and was shocked when this human woman was instead miffed that he bothered to intervene only when her people were nearly exterminated. Caranthir's snobbishly asking to see the 'leader of the Haladin', rather than speaking to her any longer, was thrown back in his face when Haleth replied that her father, the Chieftain of the Haladin, and her brother, his heir, were dead, so she was now the leader of her people, and he could speak to her. Caranthir ate his humble-pie, and through his friendship with Haleth, came to respect Men and the Haladin in particular. Caranthir offered her lands and protection, but Haleth turned him down in favor of making her own way with her people. Tolkien leaves their story alone after that, but I like to carry it on into a romance - and one that doesn't have Arwen's convenient option of 'choosing mortality', at that. [face_mischief] So there's all sorts of hard edges with their respective personalities, and very tough choices to make in their relationship, and I do so adore it. [face_love] (After that, Galadriel/Celeborn and Elrond/Celebrían are my next two OTPs, and the later one was love at first sight with all of the elvish mysticism involved. Really, the only time I tend to use that trope is when Tolkien puts that particular stamp on a couple, and I have to work with what I'm given. Although, at least with them, there was that pesky thousand year courtship with the war against Sauron getting in the way. So they had plenty of time to get to know each other. ;))

And I can't end this without mentioning: I went through quite the Spock/Nyota phase with the Star Trek reboot, as well. But I'm sure that my enabler and fellow shipper, WarmNyota_SweetAyesha , can tell you all about that, however. ;) [face_mischief][face_love][:D]

10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I was not aware of the phrase meet cute before this discussion, and now that I know what it means, I guess I'll side with leiamoody on that one. Not a fan in nine out of ten cases. I just don't like things that are not real, unless they're, like...magical or something?!

EP forgot to take her crazypills today.
    Just kidding, I only take metformin.

I can sort of picture this in my head and now I want to see it. It sounds emotionally intense and downright cool, yet mystical. I guess a lot of dynamics would depend on the colour and how the water is moving, what sound it makes and if it smells a certain way.

This particular discussion is about the earlier. :) But you're free to talk about the latter, too!

Glad that it's OK. Thank you for your response and, of course, your participation. :)

11. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    CHALLENGE #2 - Romcom...IN SPACE!!!

Our second challenge is a roulette, themed Romcom...IN SPACE! This one is not as dark as the first one was, meaning that it can be extremely mushy, fluffy, cheesy - anything you feel like writing. However, if you do want to make it dark, since not everybody is into that kind of stuff, you're welcome to put 'em romance tropes on your lap and use the good ol' paddle on their sorry rear. You can write your impressions of canon romances, AUs, stuff featuring your OCs The captain sez that whatever floats yer boat is A-OK. :)

I have been thinking of common setups and eventual confessions of love in romantic comedies and compiled two lists. Your story should contain an interpretation of chosen element from each of the lists. Some of the elements are vague on purpose, so you could interpret them any way you like.

Schedule

You have ten weeks to respond to the challenge if you want your entry to be entered into the voting. The deadline to post your story is November 26h, 2016 at 8:00 Central European Time (check the world clock) - precisely ten weeks from the date and time of this announcement.

The voting will be open from sometime on November 26th 2016 until the corresponding time on December 11th 2016. The winner(s) will be announced later that day or on December 12th, when the next challenge will be up, too. No colours, but you get the bragging rights and that's got to count for something! ;)

How to play?

- Throw two 10-sided dice or use the random number generator to pick two numbers from 1 to 10. The latter only applies if you have problems throwing the dice. I have included a handy guide on how to throw the dice at the very end of this post, complete with illustrations.

NOTE: It's OK if you end with the same combination as somebody else. :)

- If you were rolling the dice, don't forget to edit the post to include your results. As in, don't leave them as dice only - people using Tapatalk won't be able to see them.

- At this point, we're doing one story per person, but if you're stuck with your options halfway into the ten weeks allotted for this challenge, you're welcome to roll your dice again. You are, of course, welcome to write a story inspired by this challenge and its prompts at any given point, ever.

- NSWFF stories are more than welcome, despite the "...IN SPACE!" part. ;)

- TOS apply, just like for any other challenge. TL;DR: we're not writing bloodbaths and PWP, but your stories can be family-unfriendly elsewhere, as long as they're edited for this board.

- Once you're done, post a link to your story in this thread. Please, if you can, use the URL and not the LINK tag, once again because the latter does not work on some mobile clients.

- You're not obliged to read the other participants' stories, but it's recommended. Be a good sport. :) I will, of course, read them all, since I'm the thread host.

- Please, make sure that you've posted the chapter(s)/part(s) of the story that contain the required elements from both lists by the voting deadline (December 11th).

The rules were amended on November 15th, 05:30 Central European Time, as explained in this post.

Lists of Options

Group 1
    1. Debilitating phobia
    2. Death of a friend/family member
    3. Customer complaint
    4. Naughty pet
    5. Abusive ex
    6. Vitriolic childhood buddies
    7. Force gone wrong
    8. Spying
    9. Gambling
    10. Neighbours
    Group 2
    1. Diary
    2. Data leak
    3. Life-threatening situation
    4. Dare challenge lost
    5. Word goes around...
    6. In vino veritas!
    7. Younglings know what we don't
    8. Misuse of power(s)
    9. A very public confession
    10. Awkward proposal out of nowhere

Appendix: Throwing the Dice

To throw the dice, you will have to be logged in on your computer OR using the full version of the boards on your mobile device. Reply to this thread and, once the page has loaded, you will see an option to throw the dice underneath your post. Clicking the link should open a modal window where you will then select a ten-sided dice. Once done, throw another.

Images showing how to do this are under the spoiler.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anedon and Findswoman like this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I guess I'll go first, while I'm at it.

I got debilitating phobia and dare challenge lost. Now, that's going to be pretty interesting.

Edit: I already have an idea. If everything was this easy...

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Question before I even roll the dice: NSWFF allowed even though they technically might not be... IN SPACE? (Granted, I totally acknowledge that some of the elements won't work in any other fandom but SW)

EDIT: 3 and 5 - Customer Complaint and Word goes around.

Himmm. I think I got something for Tycho/Winter, but the question still stands for others.

14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Yup, of course. In that case, if you're determined to write NSWFF before you've even rolled and the elements are too spacey in any way, you can reroll. :)

15. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
  16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I think they're perfect!

Captain Rakkaus and leiamoody like this.
  17. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Let's see...Gambling and a diary? Hmmm. So many options here!

18. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I love a meet cute - the circumstances don't have to be fantastical, just amusing and memorable. This:

Seems like a great meet cute.

I quite like a first meeting where the couple get off on the wrong foot (Luke and Mara, Elizabeth and Mr Darcy, Beatrice and Benedick, Harry and Sally).

I'm not sure I have time to do the challenge, but let's be optimistic.

Edit: I got (5) abusive ex and (6) in vino veritas. The latter is right up my alley, the former...will be interesting.

19. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oooh, now this looks like fun . . . let's see if it's something I can twist for NSWFF in space. Or, this just may be the time to brush the dust off of my SW muse. It's been too long.

(Neighbors, and Awkward Proposal out of Nowhere - Alright, I can work with that. [face_thinking])

20. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015

If you could just edit the post and write what options you got, that would be awesome. Thanks. :)

Great turnaround, at least in this phase! Thank you, everybody.

21. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Congrats to Briannakin and thank you to my voter ;) I'm honored.

You know, I never thought about Raissa and Doran's absolute first meeting until this discussion, but it was one of those absolutely ordinary moments: Raissa went to the Café Alderaan to retrieve Prefect Renau and met the new proprietor. Doran said something snarky to her and she snarked back. No fireworks or instant attraction, just pleasant surprise on both sides that the other one was not what s/he thought they'd be: Raissa because Doran didn't say the usual "you're a girl, you can't be an officer," and Doran because Raissa wasn't arrogant, hostile or violent like the bulk of Imperials he'd encountered. Their relationship has been slow developing from friendly acquaintances to friends to....whatever it is they are now. (Whatever you call it, they'll deny it.)

Oh dear... My challenge results: Death of a friend/family member and Life-threatening situation :eek:

22. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005

All right: I have 1. Debilitating phobia and 9. A very public confession.

23. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh gee, I don't know if I should enter another challenge, but this does look awfully fun, and just in case it might help me get inspired on some projects...

Edit: Wow! Looks like I have "Death of a friend/family member" and "Word goes around..."! Serious stuff there!

Ewok Poet and Captain Rakkaus like this.
  24. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    True, but IIRC Ben was a still pretty young when they left the Maw so he wouldn't remember that. I realize my thoughts are pretty AU now, this was how I imagined them before the last Legends series and that's what just stays in my mind. :)
    Haha... that would have been great! (Though apparently not J/D with Bri!)

That is also one of my favorite lines of dialogue between two people ever! It was long before they were together and you totally buy that it was true even if they hadn't ended up together. And they both proved it when the other was hurt. Josh left his job in a crisis and flew to Germany to get to her, if that doesn't something, I don't know what does!
    And yes, it really does have a lot of great ships! (Even though I was hard core Josh/Donna, I always wanted Josh and Joey Lucas to get together too! I was sad they didn't.)

Challenge:
    1 Debilitating phobia
    7 Younglings knowing what we don't

This... could be interesting!

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I mean, I like J/D, but they are not my #1 OTP of TWW. Actually. I may revise my list to J/D as #4, and the Bartlets as #3. Though for some reason, I can't see myself writing a ton of Jeb/Abbey fanfiction. Their relationship is so dynamic, I'd be afraid of completely messing it up.

There are so many quotable lines, particularly romantic lines even though it is so not a romantic show (I personally love "I took my jacket off to show my love for Zoey. I'd take my shirt off too but it's inappropriate with a tuxedo." and "So, if I'm gonna jump off the cliff, and you're gonna get pushed off the cliff, why don't we hold hands on the way down?")

And, I too wanted Josh/Joey to be a thing, but apparently the fact that the actress (Marlee Matlin) was pregnant from pretty much from 2000 - 2003 killed any sort of plans romantic sub-plot between the two.

Anyways, back to the discussion (sorry for the semi-TWW take-over). I might have to roll my dice again in 5 weeks. I have something, but not the brain power to devote to aking it into a full-fledged story (ahhh! too much work to do!).

Edit: also, Ewok_Poet, if you want an idea for a challenge, I can provide you with a ton of romantic quotes from The West Wing, that will totally work for any fandom. Or you can tell me to shut up :p

Ewok Poet and mavjade like this.