main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #33 is up: How They Met! (1/28, p. 90, #2231)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    I checked the official list, and the word is allowable, under the following conditions (as well as being used as an insult between fictional characters in a story): true dictionary definition, verb usage and when not being used towards another person.

It's possible that I was being overly cautious--since at the least, I can say I wasn't using it towards another person--but I thought it was better safe than edited.

2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    This is a marvelous collection of gems so far! Let me squeak in a few of my own . . . (I was out of town this week and left just thinking about this without being able to post as I wanted. :oops:)

First, from my current Non-Star Wars favourite:

"I don't pretend to know
    The challenges you're facing
    The worlds you keep erasing and creating in your mind

But I'm not afraid
    I know who I married
    So long as you come home at the end of the day
    That would be enough"

~ Hamilton, Act I, "That Would Be Enough"

(The quote starts at 1:32, but, seriously, this entire song. [face_love])

Then, for a hodge-podge of random book quotes:

“They played at hearts as other children might play at ball; only, as it was really their two hearts that they flung to and fro, they had to be very, very handy to catch them, each time, without hurting them.” Gaston Leroux, "The Phantom of the Opera"

“He had a heart that could have held the entire empire of the world; and, in the end, he had to content himself with a cellar.” ~ Gaston Leroux, "The Phantom of the Opera" (If someone wants angst with their romance. If that's too much on the opposite side of the OTP spectrum, feel free to remove it. :))

“What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms . . . or the memory of a brother's smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.” George R. R. Martin, "Game of Thrones"

“I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.” Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice"

And, to end on something silly :p :

From "Gilmore Girls", Season 1, ep 7:

Rory: I just don't want to do or say anything else that's going to be completely moronic.
    Lorelai: I'm afraid once your heart is involved, it all comes out in moron.

(Going through my files of quotes, it hit me how very many were not overly romantic. I think it's time to fix that, and this seems to be a good place to start! ;))

3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I'm afraid that we have so.many.quotes that I might have to ask the mods for the sock to run a challenge in a separate thread, so they all find a new home. *head spinning*

mavjade Briannakin

4. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Goody, it's about time I found this. More plot bunnies for Thrawn/Minerva stories.

Kahara, Captain Rakkaus and Ewok Poet like this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    You're welcome to take part in the upcoming challenge, too. :) Glad you like the thread!

Captain Rakkaus likes this.
  6. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I thought of one more, although it's a bit sad...

Sherlock Holmes: [to Elizabeth, who is dying] We will be reunited...in a better world.
    Elizabeth: I'll be waiting. And you'll be late.
    --Young Sherlock Holmes

Captain Rakkaus and Ewok Poet like this.
  7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I will use this one, too. Since we have too many quotes, we could do a six month challenge, too.

8. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    What challenge is that?

9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    It's yet to be posted - you pick a love-related movie or book quote and write a story inspired by it. :)

10. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    ooooh, I like that!

11. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    ❣Non-Competitive Challenge #1

Here is our first non-competitive challenge, as kindly provided by Chyntuck - Elderly Love. Write about your OTP as old folk and use this folk story from Crete as inspiration. :)

"It's a sleepy morning in a little coastal village of Crete in the days of old and people are going quietly about their business, when the church bells begin to ring to signal that the pirates are coming.

Everyone starts running in all directions to get the children, and most importantly the young women, to a safe hiding place -- because it is feared that the pirates will kidnap them and sell them as slaves.

An elderly man who is sitting on the porch of his house, watching the world goes by, gets up as fast as he can and hobbles with his cane to the kitchen, where his elderly wife is peeling vegetables for lunch.

"Wife, wife! You must hide! The pirates are coming!"

The wife shrugs indifferently. "So what? I'm an old woman. My hair is white and I am wrinkled like a raisin. They'll take the young and pretty women, not an old grandmother like me."

Her husband is still not reassured. "But what if," he objects, "what if they see you through my eyes?"

Wewe is no time limit. Youw storwes WIWW be added to we index. Captuwe wis pwot wabbit and wun away wiw it. :D
    - Elmer

Index:
    Snoke: Pirates by Sith-I-5

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  12. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I can work with this.

13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
  14. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Challenge #4 - OTP Quotes!

Our fourth challenge is, in a way, a tribute to fictional romances: you get to pick two famous quotes related to romance in films, books and on television, and then you work around them. You can use that quotes in any way you like - in the title, first sentence, inserted into the story or plot devices of your fic.

The quotes were submitted by fellow members - Briannakin, Chyntuck, Cowgirl Jedi 1701[/USER, divapilot, Ewok Poet, Findswoman, mavjade, Mira_Jade, Mistress_Renata and Pandora. Please, let me know if I forgot somebody.

Two quotes were not used in the challenge, because one was not directly related to love and the other only made sense in context and when one knows the particular OTP well. But 36 out of 38 are here, for you to choose. [face_coffee] Sorry to both Jades for these two omissions.

The challenge was inspired by a post in this very thread.

ღღღღღღღღღღღ

Schedule

You have ten weeks to respond to the challenge if you want your entry to be entered into the voting. The deadline to post your story is May 28th, 2017 at 13.30 Central European Time (check the world clock) - precisely ten weeks from the date and time of this announcement.

The voting will be open from sometime on May 28th, 2017 until the corresponding time on June 11th 2017. The winner(s) will be announced later that day or on June 12th. No colours, but you get the bragging rights and that's gotta count for something! ;)

ღღღღღღღღღღღ
    How to play?

- Make sure you're using a computer or the plain mobile version of the board on your device. In the latter case, zoom in.

- Throw TWO 36-sided dice or use the random number generator to pick two numbers from 1 to 36. The latter only applies if you have problems throwing dice. I have included a handy guide on how to throw a die at the very end of this post, complete with illustrations. I will grey out all the claimed quotes.

NOTE: This time we're doing one quote per story - once you've claimed it, it's just yours.

- If you were throwing dice, don't forget to edit the post to include your result. As in, don't leave it as dice only - people using Tapatalk won't be able to see it!

- At this point, we're doing one story per person, but if you're stuck with your options halfway into the ten weeks allotted for this challenge, you're welcome to throw a die again. This will make the original quote eligible to other participants again. You are, of course, welcome to write a story inspired by this challenge and its prompts at any given point, ever.

- NSWFF stories are more than welcome, just make sure you don't write about the exact fandom the quote is from. That wouldn't be fun, would it?

- TOS apply, just like for any other challenge. TL;DR: we're not writing bloodbaths and PWP, but your stories can be family-unfriendly elsewhere, as long as they're edited for this board.

- Once you're done, post a link to your story in this thread. Use the URL and not the LINK tag, once again because the latter is now being stripped off as per board rules.

- You're not obliged to read the other participants' stories, but it's recommended. Be a good sport. :) I will, of course, read them all, since I'm the thread host.

- Please, make sure that you've posted the chapter(s)/part(s) of the story that contain the required elements from both lists by the voting deadline (June 11th at TBA).

ღღღღღღღღღღღ

Quotes

01. "So, if I'm gonna jump off the cliff, and you're gonna get pushed off the cliff, why don't we hold hands on the way down?"
    (Danny Concannon, The West Wing)

The quote is at 3 minutes, 10 seconds.

02. "Doubt that the stars are fire. Doubt that the sun doth move. Doubt truth to be a liar. But never doubt I love."
    ([Act 2, Scene 2] - William Shakespeare, Hamlet)

03. "I remember a wonderful moment
    As before my eyes you appeared,
    Like a vision, fleeting, momentary,
    Like a spirit of the purest beauty.

In the torture of hopeless melancholy,
    In the bustle of the world's noisy hours,
    That voice rang out so tenderly,
    I dreamed of that lovely face of yours."
    (A.S. Pushkin, To A. P. Kern)

04. "Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it; if a man would give all the substance of his house for love, he would utterly be contemned."
    ([8:7] - The Song of Songs)

05. "i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
    my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
    i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done
    by only me is your doing,my darling)"
    (e. e. cummings, [i carry your heart with me(i carry it in])

06. "If you were in an accident, I wouldn't stop for red lights."
    (Donna Moss, The West Wing)

The quote and the related content come at about 0 minutes, 49 seconds.

And just as an FYI, they were not in a romantic relationship at this point, when she says "Thanks for taking me back" she means the job.

07. “I did not want to think so much about her. I wanted to take her as an unexpected, delightful gift, that had come and would go again — nothing more. I meant not to give room to the thought that it could ever be more. I knew too well that all love has the desire for eternity and that therein lies its eternal torment. Nothing lasts. Nothing.”
    (Erich Maria Remarque, Three Comrades)

08. We'll do mushy later. So, for now, I just gotta say I love you so much that my head's going to fly off. But, more importantly, game on, boyfriend! Let's go!"
    (Abbey Bartlet, The West Wing)

The quote comes at about 1 minute, 6 seconds.

09. "I wanted to see you again, touch you, know who you were, see if I would find you identical with the ideal image of you which had remained with me and perhaps shatter my dream with the aid of reality."
    (Victor Hugo, The Hunchback of Notre-Dame)

10. “If the girl had been worth having she’d have waited for you?...No, sir, the girl really worth having won’t wait for anybody.”
    (F. Scott Fitzgerald, This Side of Paradise)

11. “I’m completely, completely in love with you. I even love the things about you that I hate. Because you make me feel like I don’t have to be anyone other than who I am. And to me that feels like family and that’s what I want us to be. I want us to be a family because that never ends.“
    (Kevin Walker, Brothers & Sisters)

The quote comes at about 1 minutes, 50 seconds.

12. "For me,
    You stand poised
    In the blue and buoyant air,
    Cinctured by bright winds,
    Treading the sunlight.
    And the waves which precede you
    Ripple and stir
    The sands at my feet.
    (Amy Lowell, Venus Transiens)

13. I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,
    or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
    I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
    in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

I love you as the plant that never blooms
    but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers;
    thanks to your love a certain solid fragrance,
    risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
    I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
    so I love you because I know no other way

than this: where I does not exist, nor you,
    so close that your hand on my chest is my hand,
    so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep.
    ([XVII] - Pablo Neruda, One Hundred Love Sonnets)

14. "That's for leaving! And this...is for coming back." *SMOOCH*
    (Ginger, Chicken Run)

15. "Love is the greatest victim of society as it is."
    (Victor Hugo, Océan)

16. "Kiss me. Kiss me as if it were the last time."
    (Ilsa Lund, Casablanca)

17. How many loved your moments of glad grace,
    And loved your beauty with love false or true,
    But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
    And loved the sorrows of your changing face.
    (William Butler Yeats, When You Are Old)

18. “Strange how complicated we can make things just to avoid showing what we feel!”
    (Erich Maria Remarque, The Night in Lisbon)

19. Scarlett: "I hate and despise you, Rhett Butler, and I'll hate and despise you till I die!"
    Rhett: "Oh no you won't, Scarlett, not that long."
    Rhett: "You'll marry me."
    Rhett: "She never cared about me, I thought I could make her care, but I couldn't."
    Rhett: "I wanted to hurt her because she'd hurt me."
    Scarlett: "I only know that I love you."
    Rhett: "That's your misfortune."
    (Margaret Mitchell, Gone With the Wind)

GIF from the film
    [​IMG]

20. "You have a big brain, a good heart, and an ego the size of Montana."
    (Abbey Bartlet, The West Wing)

21."O my dove, that art in the clefts of the rock, in the covert of the cliff, let me see thy countenance, let me hear thy voice; for sweet is thy voice, and thy countenance is comely." ([2:14] - The Song of Songs)

22. "I met in the street a very poor young man who was in love. His hat was old, his coat was threadbare, there were holes at his elbows; the water passed through his shoes and the stars through his soul."
    (Victor Hugo, Les Misérables)

23. "You are not beautiful, exactly.
    You are beautiful, inexactly."
    (Marvin Bell, To Dorothy)

24. Rick Blaine: Inside of us, we both know you belong with Victor. You're part of his work, the thing that keeps him going. If that plane leaves the ground and you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.
    Ilsa Lund: But what about us?
    Rick Blaine: We'll always have Paris. We didn't have, we, we lost it until you came to Casablanca. We got it back last night.
    (Casablanca)

25. Love isn't brains, children, it's blood...blood screaming inside you to work its will. I may be love's bitch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it.
    (Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

The quote comes in at about 1 minute, 28 seconds.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6flzJ0m8GpM

26. Wild nights! Wild nights!
    Were I with thee,
    Wild nights should be
    Our luxury!

Futile the winds
    To a heart in port, —
    Done with the compass,
    Done with the chart.

Rowing in Eden!
    Ah! the sea!
    Might I but moor
    To-night in thee!
    (Emily Dickinson, Wild Nights - Wild Nights!)

27. "Another used to say: When love was strong, we could have made our bed on a sword-blade; now that our love has grown weak, a bed of sixty [cubits] is not large enough for us."
    ([7a] - Sanhedrin tractate, Babylonian Talmud)

28. "I don't pretend to know
    The challenges you're facing
    The worlds you keep erasing and creating in your mind

But I'm not afraid
    I know who I married
    So long as you come home at the end of the day
    That would be enough"

([That Would Be Enough] - Act I, Hamilton)

29. "Swear not by the moon, the inconstant moon, lest thy love prove likewise variable."
    (William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet)

30. “What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms . . . or the memory of a brother's smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.”
    (George R. R. Martin, A Game of Thrones)

31. "My beloved spoke, and said unto me: 'Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away. For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of singing is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land; the fig-tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines in blossom give forth their fragrance. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.'" ([2:10–13] - The Song of Songs)

32. “They played at hearts as other children might play at ball; only, as it was really their two hearts that they flung to and fro, they had to be very, very handy to catch them, each time, without hurting them.”
    (Gaston Leroux, The Phantom of the Opera)

33. “I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.”
    (Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice)

34. Rory: I just don't want to do or say anything else that's going to be completely moronic.
    (Gilmore Girls)

35. "You were my new dream."
    (Tangled)

The quote appears in this clip.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdVNqz26a7I

36. "I sleep, but my heart waketh; Hark! my beloved knocketh: 'Open to me, my sister, my love, my dove, my undefiled; for my head is filled with dew, my locks with the drops of the night.' "
    ([5:2] - The Song of Songs)

37. Rick: Who are you really, and what were you before? What did you do and what did you think, huh?
    Ilsa: We said no questions.
    Rick: ...here's looking at you, kid.
    (Casablanca)

* Please, do message me with any corrections and/or clips and GIFs. I didn’t expect *this many* quotes, so I kind of lost my mind here. [face_monkey]

Appendix: Throwing the Dice

To throw the dice, you will have to be logged in on your computer OR using the full version of the boards on your mobile device. Reply to this thread and, once the page has loaded, you will see an option to throw the dice underneath your post. Clicking the link should open a modal window where you will then select a ten-sided dice. Once done, throw another.

Images showing how to do this are under the spoiler. But remember, you're to use a 36-faced die, NOT a 10-faced one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Let's see what I am going to punish myself with...breaking the ice and all...

20. "You have a big brain, a good heart, and an ego the size of Montana." (Abbey Bartlet from The West Wing)

27. "Another used to say: When love was strong, we could have made our bed on a sword-blade; now that our love has grown weak, a bed of sixty [cubits] is not large enough for us." (Babylonian Talmud, Sanhedrin, 7a)

Well, what do you know, these fit together well! :D

16. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Ok, here goes...BECAUSE I NEED MORE STORIES TO WORK ON:D

This is an interesting pair [face_laugh]
    31. "My beloved spoke, and said unto me: 'Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away. For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of singing is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land; the fig-tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines in blossom give forth their fragrance. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.'" (2:10–13)

34. Rory: I just don't want to do or say anything else that's going to be completely moronic.

17. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oooh, I like there being two challenges at once! Let the bunnies free. [face_devil][face_mischief]

36. "I sleep, but my heart waketh; Hark! my beloved knocketh: 'Open to me, my sister, my love, my dove, my undefiled; for my head is filled with dew, my locks with the drops of the night.' " (5:2)

22. "I met in the street a very poor young man who was in love. His hat was old, his coat was threadbare, there were holes at his elbows; the water passed through his shoes and the stars through his soul."

(And, a question - do these have to be written for in the same entry? Or may we do two? )

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  18. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Let's see what I get.

Ok, first doesn't count because #34 is taken.

33. “I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.”
    (Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice")

16. "Kiss me. Kiss me as if it were the last time."
    (Ilsa Lund, Casablanca)

Well, this has the makings of a sad story... but I can do it.

Just a quick clarification: 1. BOTH quotes need to be in the story, right? And they need to appear in the story, and not just have the story inspired by them, right? I just want to make sure I have Teh Rulez right.

19. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    In response to Diva and Mira - yes, both quotes need to be in the same story. That's what the challenging part of this, well, challenge, is. :D

Mira_Jade likes this.
  20. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    You are very challengy, Captain Rakkaus. That's kinda why we like you.

21. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Does it have to be the whole entire quote? Because #13 is very long, and #24 is so specific to that story, it would have to be paraphrased. Just trying to decide if I want to commit to this...

I'd have to think of an OTP...

Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    I'm assuming that this means the quotes can be used as inspiration? Because the OTP I have in mind for the second quote would never say the first quote in its entirety ;)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  23. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    If anybody has an idea on how to reword the quote I shall repeat here to make it clearer, tell me. I'm a non-native speaker after all, and I MIGHT not be right about getting the point across the way I should.

Raissa Baiard likes this.
  24. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Ah, okay. That helps.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  25. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Rolling now so I can think about it while I'm out!

Edit: well, these certainly go together, but I'm not exactly knowledgeable on either source, so this might get interesting.

24. Rick Blaine: Inside of us, we both know you belong with Victor. You're part of his work, the thing that keeps him going. If that plane leaves the ground and you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.
    Ilsa Lund: But what about us?
    Rick Blaine: We'll always have Paris. We didn't have, we, we lost it until you came to Casablanca. We got it back last night.

07. “I did not want to think so much about her. I wanted to take her as an unexpected, delightful gift, that had come and would go again — nothing more. I meant not to give room to the thought that it could ever be more. I knew too well that all love has the desire for eternity and that therein lies its eternal torment. Nothing lasts. Nothing.”
    (Erich Maria Remarque, Three Comrades)

Edit 2: Hmmmm. I can certainly work with 7, but the whole 'We will always have Paris' somehow just doesn't fit any of my OTPs. I might have to go back to using my PIRATE-ship :p

However, I LOVE the Elderly Love prompt. I'll totally write something for it!

Ewok Poet and Raissa Baiard like this.