main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit 1 year canon hiatus in favor of Legends

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ColeFardreamer, May 22, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    I know i am Don Quijote fighting against windmills... but:

Disney/LFL did some post Reboot new Legends content as a one off special, as ongoing TOR MMO including its online short stories, or even reselling Legends comics and books. Even Hasbro does some Legends figures still. Too few, too far in between yeah but still.

We know Disney does not want to run both continuities in paralell at full pace to not confuse any fans (ridicolous as that is, we are not dumb).
    We know Disney while adamant about the reboot and newness, steals from Legends left and right and certain creatives admit that even.
    We know Disney does not want to clogg their timelines full to not limit creatives in movie/tv department, yet at the same time that happens naturally over the years and they have shown they are willing to ignore some lit/comic stuff in favor of alternate movie or tv versions if needs be.

So, how can Disney square the circle and make everyone happy? Or happier if not permanently happy?

Well, to slow the filling of their timeline down, they can do several things:
    -less lore intense "filler" lit (meh, they tried already and it was not recieved well)
    -move the intense lore buildup to new eras that do not disturb the tv/movie creatives prefered eras (well they tried that, but the High Republic proofed so successful and interesting that it now is getting game, tv and more expansion as well!)
    -space out releases (as if, that means fans spend money, if any left over, on other hobbies)
    -overwrite more and more stuff via tv/mov which will ultimately invalidate their lit to the point of fans not caring aside as idea pool for other stuff (kinda like Trek lit had been partially)
    -overwrite but creatively make sense of it all Marvel/DC multiverse style or such (something they try to avoid to copy while being inspired by it all the time)
    -etc.

Instead, I propose an experiment. Sent canon on a hiatus that is filled with pure new original Legends releases. Then put that on hold for canon to continue until someday the next hiatus.

That way, they can space out their releases and timeline for canon, can still make money, can have Legends clearly released in timeslots that are free of confusion with other timeline of canon marketing wise, and also test Legends interest and worth of continuation on a more permanent basis.

Such a hiatus needn't be long, a year at most is a lot, maybe 3 months only at minimum?

These Legends releases may inform canon in that they are not canon to it but relevant to what is happening or upcoming in canon nevertheless, like canon often is still used by fans to fill in empty Legends timeline spots where it fits! But we'd have Legends characters back and their lifes ongoing.

Now to the problems:
    -publications are sold outside/after hiatus as well, so how does that not confuse some readers? Same problem as with continuing Legends permanently (well, a Legends banner alone may help, but to completely diffuse that? Make releases limited in number, sucks for some fans maybe, but that limits sales after hiatus. Limit the publications to certain media that canon stuff does not use, that way there is a clear distinction by license holder, publisher, medium to keep continuities apart. Or certain styles of media only to distinct by artstyle.)
    -animation even may work for Legends if kept separate from canon or not on D+ but licensed to other streaming hosts only?
    -what if Legends titles outsell Disney ones in the short hiatus? Well a sign to Disney I hope but also unlikely sadly if the hiatus is kept short or limited
    -what if, to avoid any lit confusion entirely, Legends is continued in such a hiatus, but NOT in Lit? unthinkeable as Legends lives of its lit, lit authors, artists, etc. but if recanonised Legends characters sell well, and if Legends stories turned into altered canon movies or tv sell, why not produce tv or movie for Legends instead of lit? People can more easily keep movies apart than books it seems in their reasoning. see MCU for example again. And even there they brought separate works together late via multiversial shenangians recently.

Well, I know, I know, many had the same ideas already and voiced them already and nothing happened or rather Disney is still slow to figure things out and years from now it may happen. Who knows, we'll see.

But to get Legends back, we need not to demonize disney, hate canon, or live in the past and our Legends memories and catching up with collections incomplete. We need to work with Disney, canon and create the future we want alongside them to solve their and our problems together.

iFrankenstein, EmperorHorus and Gerak like this.
  2. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    I don’t like legends being considered a separate timeline. I think it’s just a defunct version of the one Star Wars timeline that will be mined in the future for new canon

Last edited: May 22, 2023
    wreath and Maythe14thBeWithYou like this.
  3. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    they won't bring back legends stop try lol

wreath likes this.
  4. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    They aren't going to put canon on hiatus when they have more upcoming movies and tv shows planned that aren't in the legends continuity.

It's been about a decade since legends ended and chances of it coming back grow slimmer with each passing year.

Last edited: May 23, 2023
    wreath and darklordoftech like this.
  5. 2 Star Wars Universes exist the Expanded Universe and the Disney Universe all the EU Novels and Comics have a Canon or a Timeline the Disney Universe its a different Universe some people like Superman or Spiderman Comics better than the Live Action Movies i think this is similar with the EU and Disney Universe but you can like both the EU and Disney Canon

Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  6. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    I don't think a hiatus is necessary at all, to make new Legends content that is accessible, able to sell well, and won't confuse anyone they could make a lot of new TOR tie-ins for example, or finish up the post-ROTJ timeline with a trilogy with the Legends banner, these days the non-Legends veterans fandom is divided in two camps:

1. Those that understand easily that stories with the Legends banner aren't meant to be canon to modern media, if they see a new Legends book they will likely assume it is an older book and will simply not buy it like they already do all the new reprints or Essential Legends collection.

2. Those that are completely deluded on what is and isn't canon (you know, those that say the Sequel Trilogy isn't canon because Lucas didin't make them), with those risking confusion is impossible because they are already ignoring everything Lucasfilm establishes regarding canon, so it doesn't matter.

Thus, new Legends banner books could easily be released and nobody would get confused, if they wanted to they could make another Legends collection in the same vein as the essentials but that is all new books, and being part of the collection, as well as the Legends banner, futher separates it from the regular books.

The Canon EU doesn't need to get sacrificed at all.

wreath, darklordoftech and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    To me it all legends of A Galaxy Far, Far, Away…

Why does everything now have to be in perfect timeline and have canon versus legends?

I mean Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy reboots lore, ignores lore, reivents lore, has one game say a character is a god and in the other goes back to humaniod creation; it all considered part of the larger legenderium, like Tolkien and his stories, why can’t SW be thus? A collection of tales that have connections, and others that ignore those connections? Its a big galaxy, why worry?

Last edited: May 28, 2023
  8. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    Personally i like the consistency but i also think authors should be allowed to tell stories that are more in line with Legends or Canon, or neither, after all we got Visions.

Lately i've started to personally One Canon everything and take everything as part of the same world, i am just talking on the perspective of publication.

Considering the contradictions with stuff like Tales of the Jedi and Dooku Jedi Lost eventually LF will adopt a looser canon.

Last edited: May 28, 2023
    wreath likes this.
  9. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    I'm not so sure about that as having everything count is undoubtedly one of the main reasons Star Wars books and comics sell as well as they do.

Most tie in fiction doesn't get very many NYTimes bestsellers and have books constantly ranked high on the Amazon sells list but Star Wars does (for instance the Phase I High Republic books are still in the top 10,000 on Amazon and it's been two plus years since most of them have been released). Those books (that have nothing to do with the movies) definitely wouldn't be selling that well if they weren't considered canon.

So I definitely don't see them changing the way they handle canon when having everything count sells as many books as it does.
    They will just continue to make small retcons just like they always have.

10. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    Yes, it is more beneficial for them to stay as they are with the books counting, at least officially, but to me they are not really respecting their supposed singular canon, it is very clear that the TV shows and movies have a lot of precedence over EU material, at least, i think they will adopt a heiarchy of canon like in the old EU, they already pretty much do this but silently.

Over time i can see them officially say that everything is canon but in reality having a more fluid gospel.

Last edited: May 29, 2023
    Gerak likes this.
  11. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    The only thing I could see them doing(they won’t) is releasing a legends’ novel or comic. Maybe once or twice a year or every two years. That would be relatively cheap in terms of expended money and time. And could be a thrown bone to old EU fans.

Will they do this? No, because it not worth the gain.

12. Marvel still have his Comic Universe outside of the MCU the Comic Universe its more Niche but there are still Fans who Read those Comics why Legends cant have a New Novel or Comic if Legends its more Reading Material? maybe they dont want Legends to overshadow the New Canon Novels? Legends Fandom its more Niche why Disney should be worry about New Legends Novels and Comics? just put the Legends Banner in the Novels and Comics Covers so Fans dont confuse most People have Internet now so there is not excuse for not know what is Legends

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2023
    Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  13. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I mean, feel free to petition Lucasfilm and Disney for an annual bone. Maybe you’ll be lucky, but it’s been nearly ten years since the decanonization of the EU.

If they were going to do anything of the sort, I think they would have done so by now.

I agree with you, it could be done, but it won’t be.

Last edited: May 30, 2023
  14. Im fine with not having New Legends Comics i just want New Novels its just Paper i dont think Novels are Expensive Disney would be Smart in Continue Legends but well in these Days feels like you are forced to like the Disney Canon or you need to Move on from Star Wars feels like Disney wants Legends Fans to Move on i will Move on from Star Wars after i finish to Read the Legends Novels that i want to Read

15. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I have spoken greatly on the subject matter and it can go either way depending on the person, the generation, the preference, likes, etc. Those of us who had the good fortune and opportunity to live through the legends period can remember the era fondly both positively and negatively. There was a lot of exploration, tinkering here and there, and some things yelled and others didn't. Some went even on to the ridiculous like Lando and his amusement park in one of the younger book series. The magic of that time, was that the authors, comic book writers, video game producers, toys, role playing games, trading cards all tried to make things mesh. You had the Shadow of the Empire Experience to the New Jedi order, to the clone wars, to the tales of the jedi era etc. I mean, the stories felt fluid and the action was always true to star wars. Will Disney revert back to that? the answer is no. I think from 2012 forward its different. Its not wrong because all things change and fluctuate but for me that I lived through those times, the legends content will forever be a treasured period of exhilarating star wars stories. Just like the OT was to many over the PT.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  16. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    You'd have to bring all of the authors back. I can't see a LOTF/FOTJ continuation without Denning, nor could I see a Legacy #3 without John Ostrander and Jan Duursema. At that point it'd be fanfiction, and why would I beg Disney for that when I could pop open HandofThrawn or commit to my own headcanon?

17. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    New Legends content is a tall order. The most you could expect is maayyabbee one more novel trilogy and a few brief comic runs. Even then, they are both unlikely.
    I would've liked for LFL to put novels and graphic novels on hiatus given all the shows coming out, but the problem is that most upcoming content is already too far along.
    If less literature was coming out, maybe the shows and the like would be more consistent with canon, but maybe not.
    A good YA novel like Ahsoka has been pretty much erased from canon. I was more than fine with the brief Order 66 storyline being retconned in TCW Season 7. But one episode of Tales of the Jedi erased almost everything else.
    I don't know if Tales of the Jedi has erased most Dooku literature in canon, but it makes it confusing. If parts of it aren't retconned, then that means Dooku is an ex-Jedi visiting the temple during the events of TPM.
    Basically, I would only like a Canon Literature hiatus if it meant more compatibility with the shows and the literature ended up even better quality.

18. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Most of Dooku Lost book takes place when he was still a kid and then during the TCW time period. So not all that much since they didn't take place during the same time period.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  19. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    ugh HandofThrawn's fanfics are not my kind of stuff. Not at all. Glad many fans can cling to that but it is not the same.

Headcanon is fine but even if any official publication would disagree with our own preferences, at least we'd have the thrill of new stuff about the characters we love back. Even if new authors and not our favourites returning, and some would even return, I could get used to see Disney infuse the old EU with some new trends and styles they brought to canon, all while keeping the old world alive. Best of both.

iFrankenstein likes this.
  20. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I’m not sure how a one year ‘swap’ would be any less confusing than just releasing it simultaneously. I don’t even think the ‘confusion’ thing is the real reason they don’t release more Legends stuff - it’s about the marketing tagline that every new thing ‘counts.’

As a Legends fan, I don’t really need new stuff to be honest. It’s fine as it is. Anything more than a comic or book however would essentially be leaning into a multiverse system, in which case I’d much rather they try completely new things than revive Legends.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  21. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    I honestly think the real reason they aren't releasing new legends material is that they simply don't need to. It's pretty evident by now that the majority of past legends readers moved over to the new material as the sales for both are very similar. If they are happy with the money they are making off of what they are currently releasing then there is no real point in going to the trouble of picking up an old continuity again.

22. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Just about everything counted until Rian, JJ, Dave, and some others started contradicting literature. So that marketing died around the release of The Last Jedi, or at least around the time of The Rise of Skywalker.
    But as a Legends fan myself, I also don't feel like I need more. There's a mountain of Legends lit in novels and graphic novels that I've never even touched. But I don't blame others for wanting more.

23. Its Weird to think that in Disney Canon the Story after ROTJ its just an Expanded Dark Empire Storyline the Disney Canon will have his own Version of the Thrawn Trilogy but Mandoverse Movie and Rise of Skywalker events are Separated by many Years while in Legends between the events of the Thrawn Trilogy and Dark Empire its only One Year of difference both Universes Legends and Disney Canon are not Perfect for Legends some Fans dont like everything after the NJO while in Disney Canon some Fans dont like the Disney ST Movies i think Post ROTJ Era is Cursed for some Fans

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2023
  24. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I think people should worry about a project’s quality and not the exact chronology in relation to other stories.

25. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    It will be cursed until they see a movie they like. Then it won't be cursed anymore. Then when they see a movie they don't like again it will be cursed for the second time. Such is the way of fandom in our current era. Sometimes having the internet around is good and sometimes having the internet around is bad.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
    wreath likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.