main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

10/29/06 - 3rd Annual WOTR Halloween Party

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by COS_Vader, Sep 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. COS_Vader

COS_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Ok folks - It's that time of the year again for probably the most fun event we have all year! I'll let Becca explain the particulars:

"HI Everyone!

I just wanted to let everyone know that we are a go for the Halloween Event at the museum on October 29th (that is the sunday of that weekend)

We need to guage the interest for this event as well as who is interested in getting up super early on the 27th as we might have a promo spot with Dan Daru (for those of you who might have missed the drunken wookie impression it was worth getting up so early).

So if you are interested in coming and helping out please post here!

I have some specific questions of specific people, but feel free to add your own bits=)

What I know we need right now -

People in Costume
    People to help run tables/activities
    Prizes for raffel/costume contest
    People to help set up
    People to help tear down
    suggestions/ideas for activities and such
    Candy

um, if I have forgotten anything please let me know=)

As I said, all ideas and help is greatly appreciated!!

Like I said above, we usually have a great time doing this event and all fans from all costuming fan groups are welcome and will get a display table, so help us get the word out to them!

If there are any questions, PM them to me and I'll answer them as best I can!

Kevin Christley
    COS_Vader

2. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Ya beat me to it :p

3. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    I've said it once, I'll say it again... Great minds think alike! ;)

4. Magdalene

Magdalene Jedi Master star 4

Nov 22, 2005
    Yeah, but what about your guys' minds? :D

5. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    Mine needs some scrubbing up with soap!

6. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    I might need some bleach, too. [face_devil]

7. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    Decon team to this thread please. Decon team to this thread.

oh what time does it start?

8. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    Museum always opens at 10am and closes at 5. ;)

9. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Except for Sunday when it opens at Noon [face_mischief]

10. RavLoc_Vos

RavLoc_Vos Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2004
    Hey All,

So are we looking at a 12-5 WOTR this year? That could be interesting. Could you give me some more details on this? Let me know.

Later Days...

11. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    If you want to help set up and tear down then it will be more like 10 to 6

12. Kal-El_Kenobi

Kal-El_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Feb 28, 2005
    i'll be ther in my anakin costume , but with the SCJ if you need a ringer for the pinata i volunteer my services of brutalising it.

13. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    The pinata is for the kiddies. ;) Although Matt had to give it a bruising one year to help it along.

We are committed, folks. Those who show and help out, you have my endless thanks and admiration.

Everything that's happenning will be discussed in this thread. I'll post some of the plans tomorrow. If anyone has some cool activities for the kids, post it here.

14. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    yuppers

BIG THANKS TO ALL!!

15. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    both of them are kids o_O

I dont get off work til 2( provided we dont have a bad count or a lock down), Ill do my best to make it but there is not really a set time.from what I was told the wiccans and goths tend to be trouble makers around halloween.

16. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    Who is we?

My $.02. I don't think we should do this as a group, the museum needs to understand that we (RMFF) need to be consulted in future years and we're not just going to jump when they (the museum) decide last minute that they want to have an event. Our help deserves more consideration than that.

What i'm saying is that we don't go as the RMFF, we don't do a table with our banner or anything.

That being said, people who want to go, should go as individuals, if you're going as part of another group as well, great.

I personally will probably want to go help out, if i'm not too tired from Mile Hi Con. But i'll go as a warm body, not to plan anything, not to get candy in advance, not to run a booth or a table. And not representing the RMFF.

It's a fun event, we (RMFF) love being a part of it, but all of the drama and waiting to hear from them (the museum) in a reasonable time, so that we can make our plans in advance as a group, is taking the fun out of it for a lot of people.

Kevin, this is in no way intended to say anything against you, I think your commitment to the museum is great and to be admired.

I just think allowing the museum the luxury of believing they can have us at a whim, does us (RMFF), the museum, and the patrons a disservice, because we know we are capable of putting together great things when we have advance notice about an event, we have a five year track record of doing that time and again.

17. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    I think this event falls into the "Whoever wants to do it &/or organize it can" category... Not everyone does the con thing, but we allow that to be a group activity. And in the past, the whole group hasn't participated in it either.

If there is enough interest by members they can do the event. It would appear that there are several members wishing to participate, so why shouldn't they be allowed to do so as members of the group?

As an example, the RMFF paid for and made dinner for the kids at the shelter one night... But what I remember was me and Kim, and no one else involved in that one, and yet it was still done as the RMFF.

18. RavLoc_Vos

RavLoc_Vos Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2004
    Hey All,

We'll be there to help set up and tear down same as last year. I just need to know how our services will be utilized so I can inform everyone in advance so we aren't all just milling around like crazy people.......Well to late for that but yeah we'll be there.

Later Days...

19. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    As soon as all the groups have presented their ideas as to what they are planning on doing, we'll be able to get a better grip on what needs to be done.

I'll be there at 10 to ensure all is running smooth and that all groups are happy. The usual suspects (us, the 501st Mountain Garrison, Steel City Jedis, and Stargate SG-14 Team will be there). I know MHC is running the same weekend, but most groups are splitting their weekend to do this for the kids.

If you've never done one of these, we've been attending for three years straight and the kids are a ton of fun!

20. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    We - "the RMFF" were consulted - they've been trying to get in touch with Zoo for at least 2 months with no luck and have been in touch with me and Becca from the beginning. "I" am heading this up for the RMFF and if someone doesn't like it, take the job. And as far as the museum goes, I'm not doing this for them, I'm doing it for the KIDS. And you should too - giving them a safe place to trick or treat and have fun is an admirable deed in these days when their own schools are like prisons because of all the shootings.

We all, as individuals, are RMFF. And when we do anything, we represent the group. So if "you" don't want to do it on behalf of the RMFF, lead, follow, or get the heck outta my way. But don't start spreading dissent because of your personal gripe. I'm not a big fan of the way the museum does things either, but you'll find that you're never as prepared as you'd like to be. Just do the best you can and have fun. That's what it's all about.

Becca is heading this up for the 501st Mountain Garrison, Chico for the SCJ, and me for the RMFF. So if you want to help, let me know.

21. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    I think this late in the game WOTR needs to tell us what they need. We haven't been involved in the prep and have no idea what they have planned so far. So no one knows what needs to be done! And if it's something like a pinata, then they are to late to get a specially made one.

I have to agree with O_W on this event. WE (RMFF) have put on some amazing events (w/ & w/o WOTR) with most of the members (active) having a part in it. We have put our name on flyers, have said come see what we can do!!! To do that 5 days before an event we didn't know anything about could be more harmful then helpful to our rep w/ WOTR or other orgs if we want to branch out later.

So to go around saying the RMFF & 501st are holding their 3rd annual "BOO" thing just doesn't sit well with me, we didn't do anything but show up at this point. I know in the past it wasn't a RMFF 'event' it was the WOTR event but they were lucky we planned it, promoted it, worked it, and come up with some great ideas to make a great event happen.

22. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    Like I said, the museum has been trying to contact us for two months. Here's all the info I have...

On 10/2/06, Matthew Burchette <curator@wingsmuseum.org> wrote:
    >
    >
    > Ok, kids, here is what we have got so far via Becca and Lance:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Fan/Group Tables
    >
    > -Clown Club ?
    >
    > -RMFF ?
    >
    > Steel City Jedi -committed
    >
    > -501st -committed
    >
    > -Stargate -committed
    >
    >
    >
    > Entertainment
    >
    > -Sword School -committed
    >
    > -Face Painters -working on
    >
    > -Clowns -working on
    >
    > -Story time with Lady Grey -checking her schedule
    >
    > -Belly Dancers -working on
    >
    > -Characters in costume -have some committed already, working on more
    >
    > Decorations
    >
    > -what do we have from last year?
    >
    > -spooky sounds on PA system
    >
    > -costume displays?
    >
    > Activities
    >
    > -M*A*S*H station -trying to get face painters
    >
    > -Raffel -need raffel tickets and prizes
    >
    > -Pinata -need pinata and candy
    >
    > -Costume Contest -need prizes
    >
    > -Jabba bean bag toss - who has this? can we borrow it?
    >
    >
    >
    > (all the following will need staff, multiple activities can be on one
    table)
    >
    > -Make a hat station -needs construction paper, coloring tools, tape,
    > scissors
    >
    > -Simulators -need staff
    >
    > -Open Cockpit -need staff
    >
    > -Aviation crossword -need to photocopy, I have originals
    >
    > -scavenger hunt/aviation quizzes -need to photocopy, I have originals
    >
    > -optical illusions -need to photocopy, I have originals
    >
    > -paper airplanes making station -need paper and coloring tools
    >
    > -drag demonstration -need large sheets of plastic or large trashcans
    >
    > -vertigo demonstration -need spinning type chairs
    >
    > -rocket pinwheels -need pencils, pins, tape, balloons
    >
    > All the above stuff should be taken care of by the Museum. We also
    > have
    all
    > the tables, chairs, rope, etc. Anything we have missed?
    > Matthew R. Burchette
    > Director of Operations/Curator
    > Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum

If "we" want to do anything or volunteer, "we" need to let them know or the other groups will pick up our slack.

The problem with us as a group is that a few individuals ALWAYS end up picking up the slack for others and they get burned out. So this time, I'm heading it up and keeping it stress free. Do what you want, show or don't show, I don't care. But we'll will be there representing the RMFF and we will have fun and have some cool projects for the kids.

Hell, I'll make a pinata if I have to all by myself - an X-Wing pinata! It's not that stressful and I have plenty of time.

So help, or don't. Either way, it's an event and an excuse to make kids happy and costume. And we may even get a few new members because of it.

23. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    My Response was taken to PM, due to personal reasons, and so that the event is not damaged by inflammatory remarks.

24. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    PM responded to.

25. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    WOW! That is the first time I've heard about any of those things on the list. I missed the Aug meeting & I think some of this might have been brought up but I was told the info would get posted here I must have missed it if this was posted somewhere else in the last month.

Kevin, I don't want you thinking you have to be the only one to do this, but it was never brought to us in this fashion before your last post (correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe you should have asked one of us to bring this up at the last couple of meetings and we could have worked on it as a group. I don't think 1 or 2 poeple need to feel that it is all up to them, if WOTR was trying to get a hold of us for 2 months, who where they trying to contact? Sue had my # & email I didn't get anything, I know they know you & Becca & hell even ZOO and this is the first time it's brought up?

Sorry if I don't get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.