main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 101 "Oh ****!" Moments in Comic Book History

Discussion in 'Community' started by ApolloSmileGirl, Nov 1, 2011.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I asked beforehand. Scroll up.

Also: read it all again.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Not to mention that, if you're in the middle of the series (It's something like 10 volumes long, so stranger things have happened), that sucker's a whopper.

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Recommended by my fave comic pimp, I have to admit I was hesitant at the start. I'd only read a couple comics and most had been Marvel Events. This seemed not at all something I'd like, but said pimp knew better.

I remember getting to the end and feeling certain he was going to do it and bursting out with laughter, more at myself for having thought that. Just love it to death!

4. Scummy

Scummy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    I thought he was going to do it too, especially given how Hunter S. Thompson himself died. Needless to say I absolutely loved the ending. (Not sure if I actually need to highlight that, but better safe than sorry. :p)

I've recently started reading Ellis's other work and just finished Planetary a few months ago, the man is a genius.

Scummy

5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Have you read Nextwave yet? Finally got around to checking it out a few months back. Good stuff.

6. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Doktor Sleepless is kind of Trasmet's spiritual heir, as in Ellis's politically charged series, but it never manages to rise to the same heights. The lack of Darick Robertson's art is key, IMO. Still worth a look, though, if only to see Ellis's futuristic take on 4chan and the Anonymous movement. :p

And Fell. Please, read Fell. You can buy the first trade paperback and join the choir of people screaming at Ellis and Templesmith to finish the series.

Frank T. likes this.
  7. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
  8. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    It's coming, it's coming. MyKe's inquisition has forced us to raise our standards.

No Storm getting a mohawk, I'm afraid. @};-

9. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Yeah, but butch Storm totally stabbed Calisto :p

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Glad I could step in and inspire this thread to reach for, at the very least, mediocrity. Sorry if I cut you off before you unveiled the shock of Bedrock's name being changed to Badrock or J Scott Campbell illustrating a woman standing upright...!

11. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    The new raised standards mean that no more DC books are going to be featured.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    There is no room for me in the New 52...

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    They cancelled OMAC. They're dead to me.[face_frustrated]

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Hands down, by far my favorite thing DC produced in the past 2 decades was the astonishingly well handled FIRST WAVE miniseries with Doc Savage, The Spirit, The Bat Man, Blackhawks, The Avenger, and just about every 40s pulp sensibility they could muster in a modern release. I actually own multiple copies of the hardcover so that I can grab it and read it any part of the house.

OMAC going the way of the dodo was a real low moment, I agree.

15. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Fixing and upping this thread. Please PM me your requests or, what the hell, post an entry if you feel the inclination to do so.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I would offer: Green Arrow's faithful sidekick Speedy is a mainlining smack addict.

17. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Dark Phoenix offs herself at the end of THE DARK PHOENIX SAGA. But a few years down the road it was retconned that she was a sorta-kinda-avatarish clone and the whole thing was rendered tragically meaningless. Damn you, Jim Shooter.[face_phbbbbt]

18. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Actually Morrison re-retconned Shooter's nonsense out, so everyone wins!