main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 14 years?!?!

Discussion in 'Community' started by wild_karrde, Oct 27, 2013.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I'm still not completely over the name change to WWE.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Damn. When I was 14 (1999) the Internet was really finding its place as a household utility. My parents were still unsure of how it all worked and questioned the necessity of it plus were really bugged by the fact that every time I logged on I was restricting use of the phone line. I remember the Internet having a nice geeky "garage" type feel to it. No Twitter or Facebook but there was ICQ, Napster and Mirc Chat with plenty of underground cyber rabbit holes for us to congregate in.

The Internet was at the halfway point of being for the social rejects and social mainstream. On the one hand the domain truly belonged to that of the geeks but at the other the more mainstream crowds were catching on to its potential. On top of this, you had all of these amazing mods for Quake 2 when playing online such as a grappling hook. I was an outcast for my love of the Internet in 1999, now i'm seen as an outcast in 2013 for my disdain of social media. [face_laugh]

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I got my first Internet-compatible computer Christmas of 1996. I was 25. I cut my Internet teeth on the predecessor to Yahoo mailing lists; I was on about three Star Wars related ones.

Son of a Bith likes this.
  4. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Congrats old man.

5. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I was 14 when I registered here, but had grown quite familiar with the internet. Hitting puberty the year our family got a computer (1998) for the first time was quite the game changer in many respects.

:p

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    really didn't need to know that, dude.

7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  8. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I was 14 for the most part of 2006, and that was around the time that 3SA was shutting down. I had to desperately look for another forum to lurk at, but no other forums on the internet had that witty cynicism and homey feel like 3SA did. Needless to say, around April or May of '06, I discovered the Amphitheater and pathetically lurked there not gaining the courage I needed to join. I still remember people such as Zaz/Nevermind, The Boogieman, etc.

10. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    When I joined I was 19. Now I'm 33.

11. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    While we're down memory lane, this is completely off topic, but by chance does anyone remember the most defining and damning characteristic of the 90s? I am talking of course about the scourge that was the middle parting. Suddenly, in the 90s everyone were parting their hair from the middle.

The boyband front guy usually had it:

[​IMG]

The leading man in movies had it:

[​IMG]

The leading man in tv shows had it:

[​IMG]

Cartoon characters had it:

[​IMG]

Videogame characters had it:

[​IMG]

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't know, but it's stupid and I'm glad that style is gone.

Son of a Bith likes this.
  13. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    You're telling me? :p

14. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I originally joined here fourteen years ago, but discovered another messageboard first and did most of my posting there for a while. I tried to get back into this three years ago after Celebration V because no one at that other site seemed to even attend it or really focus on STAR WARS anymore.
    There was no WWW when I was 14 either and I never touched the Tandy computer in the house. I have no idea what was being done with it. I was only using an Apple IIc at school to play Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?, Logo, Oregon Trail, and it wasn't much different from the Apple II from when I was in the second grade several years before that.

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I joined when I was a noncorporeal ageless lifeform beyond human understanding.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Middle parting got old really quick. Also, the resurgence of the bowl cut in the 90s really pissed me off. There I was, trying to do a nice and neat left side part and look somewhat respectable while my peers went around looking like 4 year olds who couldn't sit still for more than 2-3 minutes.

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I had the middle part/bowl cut thing for several years in elementary school, back in the mid-late 90s. Sun bleached blonde, like the Backstreet Boy.

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Guy, guys, guys.

I had this hair:

[​IMG]

This is why we have a global warming problem

You younglings have no idea what it's like to be forced to spend half an hour with a curling iron and a can of aerosol hairspray in order to give your bangs that perfect tease and loop the hair over the ears just so. :_|

(No, that's not me, it was on an 80s hair board on Pinterest.)

20. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    If you think that's bad, I had a rattail when I was twelve, around '88-89. My mom even encouraged it for my brother and I!

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I was obsessed with crimping my hair when I was 13.