main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge 15th Annual Non-Denominational Winter (for some) Holiday Fic-Gift Exchange! ~Wishes sent out~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Nov 14, 2021.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    And here we are coming up at the end of 2021, we can all hope that things will improve in 2022! But before we get there, let's spread around some happiness!

Welcome to the 15th (!!) Annual Non-Denominational Winter (for some of us) Holiday Fic-Gift Exchange!

[​IMG]

I've started a bit early this year because as some of you may know and some of you may not, I'm pregnant and due mid January. My hope is we'll get through the whole thing before the padawan decides to join us, but this baby has been pretty dramatic thus far, so that may be a dangerous hope. Bri and Mira have graciously said they would step in if need be even though it's a big ask from me! But basically, please be extra patient this year if it takes a bit longer for things to get done!

People seemed to like the format from last year, so we'll be sticking with that for this year, with a few very minor changes.

How to participate:

PM mavjade with the following:

1. What era(s) for which you are willing to write - based on the era tags list
    - Please let me know what your preferred Saga (PT, OT, ST) era is/are -the reason will be clear below-
    -Please include, if any, TV shows you are will to write for as well
    -If there is a character or a source material you really don’t want to write, let me know and I’ll do my best to avoid it.
    - Please be willing to write in the era/category for which your wishes take place (so if you have a Bad Batch story, please be willing to write a Bad Batch story). Not having this makes it extra difficult.​

2. Your 3 wishes- story ideas you’d love for someone to write for you
    - One of them MUST be PT, OT, or ST movie based not requiring having seen or read any other material
    - You should give an indication where each story should belong timeline wise. If you don’t state one, the author gets to choose.
    - Your wishes can be as detailed as you’d like but please keep it reasonable. Too much detail will make it harder to write. Feel free to indicate things you don't want as well as want. (If you’d like to stick to the previous, three things I want, one thing I don’t format for each wish, that is fine)
    - If you would like to let me know which wish you'd most like, I'll use that to try and pair you with someone who said they'd be willing to write that type/era of story, but I can't make guarantees that it will be the one that gets written. ​

I’ll match your wishes with what people would like to write to the best of my abilities and send your wishes to someone else. Your Secret Author will then choose one of your wishes to write and post.

To make it more fun, let’s write a letter to our Secret Author (you really don’t have to do that if you don’t want to, but it can be fun!)

Example PM to mavjade:

[​IMG]

Dates

Please submit your wishes by: 11:59pm PST Friday, November 26th, 2021

Fic-gifts must be posted by: 11:59pm PST Sunday, January 2nd, 2022

Other Rules/Info:

• In the title bar of your story, please put in the title bar “Fic-Gift for ___” and then put a link and for whom the fic-gift is here in this thread. It’s also fine to tag the person (@AUser_Name_Here) in the thread
    • Please post the story in it’s own thread. This is so the person can easily find the story and it’s more like a gift for them and not just a story you wrote. You may link to it in a short story thread if you have one, the prolific writers thread, or post it anywhere else you post your fanfics.

• There is no minimum word count, but please remember this is something people have wished for. Even if you can get all of their request into a mini-story, maybe take your time and try to add more.

• If you realize you aren’t going to be able to write your story, no worries! But please let me know as soon as possible so I can find someone else to write it. I don’t want anyone left out. **This is especially important this year!**
    • On that note, I can always use pinch-writers to write stories others aren’t going to be able to do. Let me know if you are will to write another story, it really helps out a lot.
    • Because this is suppose to be a secret until the story is posted, if you have any questions about the wishes, please PM me and I'll ask the requester and get back to you.

[​IMG]

Non-Star Wars FanFic:

If you would like to participate in the NSWFF Fic-gift exchange post in this thread what fandoms you are willing to participate in. If there is someone else who is willing to write in that fandom, they should reply to you that they are willing to do that exchange. Then via PM you two can either use the above SW exchange format or the previous “3 things I want, 1 thing I don’t want” format of Fic-gift exchange past.

Please link your Non-Star Wars Fic-gifts here in the thread as you would for the SW Fic-Gifts.

I can’t guarantee everyone who wants a NSWFF fic-gift will get one because I can’t know what fandoms will be picked. But I think most everyone has gotten at least one NSWFF story the past few years.

Example:​

Luuke42 posts that he’d be willing to write for Star Trek, NCIS, Stranger Things, or LOTR
    HanDamn quotes or replies to Luuke42 saying he’s willing to do a Star Trek exchange​

Via PM the two of them decide which format they’d like to use and exchange requests​

They then follow the same posting/deadlines schedule for the main exchange

FAQ

Do I have to submit 3 wishes?

Yes, this year I'm making that mandatory so that every author gets three to pick from. It was a mixed vote when I asked about it last year so we'll go with what makes it the most fair.

What does “reasonable” mean with regards to the wishes?

I’m not going to put a hard line on it with this format, but just remember this isn’t the dare challenge. You want someone to be able to write the story you’ve wished for. You may include characters, themes, specific plot ideas and things you don’t want with your wishes. If I think your wishes are too hard, I may PM you back and ask that you adjust them.

One of them HAS to be a movie request??

Yes. I know this might not be ideal for everyone but because it’s gotten so hard to match people up with stories they are willing to write, we need a common ground. I can be reasonably sure that everyone has seen the movies or are at least familiar enough that they could write for it. The other material, I can’t be sure of which is what makes it so hard.

Are you still going to try and match people with like interests?

I will! As always, if you tell me you’d like to write for The Mandalorian and I have a wish that is Mandalorian related, I’ll match it up! I just can’t guarantee that will happen since it just depends on what people tell me and how many of each type of wish I get. If you let me know your top wish, that's what I'll use to try and match you, but I can't promise.

Do my wishes need to be holiday related?

Nope! This is what you want, so it only needs to be holiday related if you want it to be.

Can my wishes have my original characters?

I’m going to allow this again this year with a few stipulations: Only one of your wishes can have an OC, and the mandatory movie wish can’t be it. If you have more than one movie based request, one of them can have OCs requested. I’m so hard on OCs because it’s hard on the writer if they are unfamiliar with your OCs and it involves a lot of work on their part. This way, at least they have the choice.

Can I request characters from the Non-Star Wars Fandoms?

For the main Star Wars exchange, please don’t request a character or story line from a fandom outside of Star Wars. There are so many fandoms out there and it’s hard to know who knows which fandom and it wouldn’t be fair to make someone do that much research.

Can I do both the Star Wars and NSWFF exchange?

Yes, you may do both exchanges, and more than one exchange in NSWFF, but please do not volunteer to do more than you can reasonably deliver by the deadline.

I missed the deadline to submit my wishes, can I still participate?

Sorry, not in the SW fic-gift exchange. I’ve tried to do this in the past and it just made things way too complicated. If you would like to do a NSWFF exchange, you could do so. If you are in the giving mood, you could also volunteer to pinch-write, but I can’t say you’ll for sure get a story back.

Can I write a multi-chapter fic?

Sure! But please make sure to include the elements requested before the deadline.

Can I write all three (or two) of the wishes?

I don't want any of the authors to feel like the have to write more than the one story. Some people won't have the time, the muse, or the interest in doing so. I love that people are inspired and want to write what other people would like, but if you decide to write more than one of the wishes, it won't be officially part of the challenge and please don't link to it here or call it part of the fic-gift exchange.

I wasn’t able to finish my story on time and someone else wrote the wish. But I worked so hard on this story and I ended up finishing it, can I post it?

Please do! I’m sure the person would love to have your story to read!

[​IMG]

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask here in the thread or via PM. I hope everyone and their loved ones are safe and well over the crazy year and I hope you have a happy holiday in whatever you may celebrate!

~mavjade

2. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Index of Fic-Gifts

[Beyond- Legends] Alone, Together by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for Nehru_Amidala (Jaina/Jag)
    [Beyond- Legends][Saga - OT] Rogue's Night Out by Jedi_Lover for WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    [Saga-ST]The Pawful Truth by Seldes_Katne for gizkaspice
    [Saga-OT]Artoo, Myself, and the Little Shiny Blue Thing by Findswoman for Kahara
    [Saga-PT][Saga-OT]Loth-Rat Run by Raissa Baiard for Findswoman
    [Beyond-Legends]Hope Has A Place by Nehru_Amidala for Jedi_Lover
    [Saga-ST]The Pirate Queen’s Peculiar Treasure Tales by gizkaspice for Seldes_Katne
    [Saga-OT] The Tale of Canderous Ordo and How It Is Past Wren's Bedtime by Kahara for Raissa Baiard

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2022
  3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    All righty doo, I'm in! PM sent! :D

4. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I'm in now, after forgetting for years....BUT NOT THIS YEAR. :D

5. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    I got my request in! Woot!:D

6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Mav, may I ask: given that our wishes are due in by the 26th, about when do you anticipate being able to have the writer assignments ready? Just ballpark. :)

7. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I usually get it done the next day but seeing as my brain has been all over the place recently, my goal is by Sunday night, the 28th (EST).

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
  9. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Just a reminder that if you want to participate in the Star Wars fic-gift exchange, you have until Friday to send me your wishes.

10. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Am I too late????

devilinthedetails likes this.
  11. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    No, you were on time!

12. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Thank goddess!

devilinthedetails likes this.
  13. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I don't think I'll get the wishes out tonight as I'm completely exhausted (mentally and physically) and I don't want to mess up what I have left to do to make the matches. They will go out tomorrow.

14. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Thank you everyone for your understanding! All wishes have been sent to their writers. Hopefully my current Swiss-cheese for brains didn't have me do something silly like send someone their own wish!

Like last year, I did the match-ups multiple times trying to find what worked the best for everyone without being unfair to some and completely what others wanted. I think pretty much everyone has at least one wish in their list that doesn't meet their request to write. But hopefully everyone is inspired by at least one wish!

As always, if you have any questions, please let me know!

gizkaspice, Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  15. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    The ones I got sound great - now to actually pick one to write. :p And thanks again for wrangling requests, Mav!

16. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Is there any way to still participate? Any wishes not sent out? Anyone with out a trading partner? I'm late! I'm late! For a very important date! [face_nail_biting]I-) [face_praying]

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  17. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    I really liked mine, too! It’s going to be hard to choose! :) Thanks so much again for taking this on, @mavjade , especially with all that’s going on with you these days! @};-

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I also like the variety of plot inclusions and characters in mine. [face_tee_hee]

19. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm sorry, but unfortunately it is too late for the Star Wars exchange. :( They all go out at the same time. If you want to do a Non-Star Wars exchange with someone(s), that is perfectly fine!

Kahara and brodiew like this.
  20. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    @mavjade , is there a time limit on when people can sign up to be a pinch-writer? It seems like there's usually at least one needed at some point.

Findswoman likes this.
  21. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    No time limit on that because usually it's closer to the end when I need people to jump in.

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  23. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
  24. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    IMPORTANT NOTE: So as should have been predicted, the baby came early (See my away thread). But Bri and Mira have all of my notes, so if you have any questions for whom you are writing or you feel as though you won't be able to finish, please add both of them to your PM and they should be able to help you out.

25. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002