main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

20-something fanficcers thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Darth_Tim, Mar 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    Okay, so we're not teenagers nor are we among the "older" bunch (as in the over-30 crowd) which means that, being in the middle, there's a danger of us being overlooked.

We may remember the OT (I remember ROTJ in the theater) and were definitely around for the SE's, and when we were younger the Bantam-era EU was proliferating.

So anyway, I decided to start a place for us too. I guess I should post something by way of a cheesy intro:

Fics, and how long you've been writing them: Fics are in bio. I've been here for a little over a year.
    Fav characters: Anakin/Vader, Padme, Obi-Wan (post-TPM), Palpatine, Kyp Durron, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Wedge, and the Wraiths.
    Fav time period(s): PT/OT
    Fav kind of stories to write: Fast-moving ones that deal with character, but don't sacrifice the plot, either.
    Suggestions/tips: Find some particular thing that you are really good at writing, and focus on that.

-Tim

2. Aanix_Durray

Aanix_Durray Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    Age: Long story of why I won't divulge specifically, but let's just say I belong here.
    Fics, and how long you've been writing them: Fics in bio, I've been here since Dec 01 and have been writing fanfic since then, thought I've written original stuff before that
    Fav characters: Obi-wan, Han, and Yoda
    Fav time period(s): I'm not too picky here
    Fav kind of stories to write: I like to write stories which devle into character, lots of angst
    Suggestions/tips: Characterization is key, creating beings of flesh and blood, with all the complex emotions and motivations of real life (or staying true to a previously created character) is the most important thing IMO, to writing.

[hl=black]-~Aanix~-[/hl]

3. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    The answer to all of those questions is in my bio ;) :p

But a brief rundown. I've written three vignettes, one one-poster, and one long fic (almost completed). I normally write NJO stuff, but my next fic will be in the Bantam era cuz those characters are my favorites. I never saw SW until high school, but I fell in love with the OT and even more with the EU.

~Inyri

4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne FF manager Celebrations star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm not exactly a regular around here, but I have as many as two fic here!!! And I drop by to read from time to time.

Fics, and how long you've been writing them[li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=5905746]Tatooine Dawn[/link] a short vignette, that is locked now.[/li] [li] [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=6767234]Always two steps behind[/link]TPM from Eirtaé's point of view.[/li]
    Fav characters: Han, Leia, Padme, handmaidens
    Fav kind of stories to write: I prefer writing short stories about smaller characters, I can't really keep a longer story moving forward.
    Suggestions/tips: Describe your own feelings, instead of inventing other's.

5. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Fics, and how long you've been writing them: Fics are in bio. I've been writing SW fanfic since about July 2002, but i've been writing originals since I was 12. I'm fondest of my vastly ignored vignette series, [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10941058]The Drunken Wookiee[/link].
    Fav characters: Luke, Han, Vader, Lando, Mace, Yoda, Old Ben, all of them. I can't think of one Star Wars character that I hate (from the movies). (yes, i'm aware of Jar Jar's existence)
    Fav kind of stories to write: For SW I like to write vignettes, usually in my own voice, which is a blend of poetry, humor, drama, and action.
    Suggestions/tips: Everybody's got their own way of doing things. I see a lot of people ask about how to write action sequences or describe things here. I say draw from the movies, paint pictures in your head and describe them. Convey emotions that you have felt. Have fun.

I grew up on Star Wars. My dad used to call me Old Ben (my name's Ben).

The first Star Wars book I read was Heir to the Empire. I checked it out at a library. After that I got a copy of every SW book published in paperback, up until they started doing all those rogue squadrons and NJO's, at which point I had grown bored of the EU. My favorite Star Wars book was either the original Han Solo trilogy, or the original Lando trilogy. I found a lot of the later books to be lacking in style and content.

6. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    Fics, and how long you've been writing them: I've been writing fanfics since Episode I.
    Fav characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi (PT), Jagged Fel.
    Fav time period(s): PT
    Fav kind of stories to write: Mostly romance and forbidden love between Obi-Wan & Padme. From NJO, I'm a Jag & Jaina 'shipper (I wrote the first J/J fanfic "Jaina's Journal") so I write about them a lot.
    Suggestions/tips: Re-vamps are an author's favorite thing to do, well for me it is. Final draft is never a final draft, so don't feel bad if you edit a fic 5 or 10 times.

7. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002

Links to all fics are in the bio, been here since Feb '02.

Jacen, Han, Sebulba, Lando.

Post-ROTJ, and NJO as long as it's AU.

Plot-driven stories with plenty of action and minuscule mush (which seems to be my undoing around here).

Need I say more? :p

8. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002

Fics, and how long you've been writing them: I've been writing for well over a year. A good 6 years if you count my SW/X-Files crossover.

Fav characters: Kyp Durron, Jaina Solo, Luke Skywalker, my OC

Fav time period(s): NJO

Fav kind of stories to write: K/J angst stories. Duh. :D And my Oidche et Fairedan saga thingy.

Suggestions/tips: Find what you like and write that. Don't force yourself to conform to others' expectations. You're you, and you'll be best at writing what you're comfortable with. But don't be afraid to try something new, you might find you like it.

Dana

9. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    I'm not quite twenty, but I'm almost there.

Fics: Some of them are in my bio. I've written four that are now lost to the boards (Kithera's story (ugh), Between Fire and Ice, Sounds of Silence and Mind Games). I've also written more snapshots then you can count for Jemmiah's chronicles as well as worked on the UsJs series and TLST.
    How long you've been writing them?: I started back in 1999. So it'll be four years on June 14th.
    Fav characters: Obi-wan, Qui-gon, Chewie, R2D2, Han.
    Fav time period(s): TPM and before
    Fav kind of stories to write: Character piece mostly. Some humor ones though (I try, but I'm not that good) and really descriptive stuff.
    Suggestions/tips: Have fun. Their is no use writing if you aren't having fun with it.

10. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Fics, and how long you've been writing them: I've been writing since '01. Fics are archived on [link=http://www.fanfiction.net/profile.php?userid=56197]fanfiction.net[/link].
    Fav characters: Luke, Vader, R2, Jar Jar, Obi-Wan ... arg, I love them all.
    Fav time period(s): PT-OT
    Fav kind of stories to write: Stories dealing with good triumphing over evil :) I love writing fics about the relationship between Luke and Vader, between Anakin and Obi-Wan and humor fics.
    Suggestions/tips: To paraphrase Qui-Gon: "Let go of your conscious self and write on instinct!"

11. Darth_Bog

Darth_Bog Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    Fics, and how long you've been writing them: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10931214]Attack of the Phantom Mohawk[/link]. Just one so far, but I'm the only one crazy enough to use Mr. T as my central character! ;)

[image=http://www.youngadultministry.net/mrtlogo.JPG]

I PITY DA FOOL!

Fav characters: R2-D2, Han
    Fav time period(s): probably the OT
    Fav kind of stories to write: Comedy, comedy, comedy!!! :D
    Suggestions/tips: You sure you want to ask someone for advice who thinks Mr. T is a great Star Wars character? ;)

12. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    I pity the fool who doesn't think Mr. T is a good Star Wars Character!

13. Strong-Bad

Strong-Bad Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2003

Wrong thread. [face_blush]

14. Robiwankenobi

Robiwankenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2002
    Fics, and how long you've been writing them: Well, I've only been writing here since last October, but I've been writing original fiction since I was about nine or so. There are links in my bio for my fics, but I want to mention one in particular. I have a far-future, OC fic that is in desperate need of some feedback. It starts out kinda rough and still hasn't really picked up, but the only reader it had has been consumed by real life, so stop on by if you're interested.
    Fav characters: Obi-wan, Lando, Jacen, and Ganner. (I really think there was a lot more potential for him, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.)
    Fav time peroid(s): I guess I like em' all.
    Fav kind of stories to write: Ever since I started writing here I've been stuck on humor, but I also enjoy writing action-packed angsty stuff. I also tend to lean toward OC's since keeping characters accurate is not really my strong suit.
    Suggestions/Tips: Hmmm...Jeez. Offering advice isn't one of my strong suits either. How about, don't let a lack of responses on your fic get you down. (Like I did at first.) Eventually, the readers will come. I know, I know, not the most helpful advice ever, but like I said...

15. InyriForge

Jan 24, 2002
    Now what do we do, Darth_Tim?

~Inyri

16. Darth_Tim

Feb 26, 2002
    Well, I dunno. It's up to y'all what you want to do, I just started this thing and am open to suggestions.

-Tim

17. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    let's make snow angels.

:p

18. Darth_Tim

Feb 26, 2002
    LOL...hard to do down here in Texas, but I suppose in the virtual world, anything's possible...

-Tim

19. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    virtual snow angels are the bomb.

where in texas, darth tim?

i'm in austin.

20. Darth_Tim

Feb 26, 2002
    ditto. I am native to the Dallas area though.

-Tim

21. InyriForge

Jan 24, 2002
    Yay! Snow Angels!

*falls in virtual snow and begins waving arms and legs*

*stands up*

Awww, pretty.

I'm from PA, but we lost most of our snow about a week ago. I'm not really complaining though. :)

~Inyri

22. Aanix_Durray

Aanix_Durray Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    Snow? What is this you speak of? ?[face_plain]

I live in Seattle... we get nothing but rain...

[hl=black]-~Aanix~-[/hl]

23. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    well, i'm glad to have started such a discussion with a corny remark.

somebody said, "what do we do now?" and it was the first thing that came to mind.

I suppose I could have said, "Same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try and take over the world."

24. Darth_Tim

Feb 26, 2002
    Well, we can do that, too...

:D

-Tim

25. InyriForge

Jan 24, 2002
    LOL, to zeekveerko. Now I wish I could turn on Cartoon Network. :p

Oh, and any stupid remark can start a conversation, especially with me. ;) :p :)

~Inyri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.