main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

20-something fanficcers thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Darth_Tim, Mar 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Well, that's good, cuz I'm full of 'em. (stupid remarks)

2. Aanix_Durray

Aanix_Durray Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    Props to zeek for the Pinky and the Brain quote... god I love that show :) (Brain: "We will temp them with something they can't resist!" Pinky: "What's that Brain?" Brain: "Free T-shirts!")

As far as discussions and the stupid comments that begin them... well, I wouldn't know about that ... ;)

We could discuss college/work life and it's effects on our writing ?[face_plain] (I know, it's dumb, but I've got to get something out of taking these damn classes... :) )

-~Aanix~-

3. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    college - Wish I was back in it.

Grad classes - suck but thank God my Wed night class was canceled this week.

Work - I teach 8th grade.

But I actually do get a lot of stuff I write from my personal life. 90% of the craziness in my stories is something I've experienced.

Oh, and my spelling sucks. Let me add that I teach Math, not English. :p ;)

Okay, back to planning period.

~Inyri

4. TheSwedishJedi

TheSwedishJedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2001
    Wow there are other 20 year olds here. I'm usually surronded by 12 - 14. Though not a bad thing, most of them are my best readers. I just feel really old sometimes and that's not supposed to happen when you haven't even hit 25. Ok, anyway...

Age: 21 (just turned so, Cheers! *holds up Hard Mike's*)
    Fics, and how long you've been writing them: As been said, fics are on my bio. I've dabbled most of my life so an exact date is hard to pin down. But I've been here for... *looks at icon* going on two years.
    Fav characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Artoo, sometimes Anakin, Yoda, Han... there's a long list.
    Fav time period(s): Mainly JA, PT
    Fav kind of stories to write: Angish for the readers, whatever I feel like.
    Suggestions/tips: I'm not very good at those. Just write what you want I quess.

I'm on spring break. And I'm just as bored here as in school.

~Swede :p

5. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    Ooh, this'll be interesting.

Fics, and how long you've been writing them: One vignette series completed, 2 in progress (one in sig, others in bio). I've been writing SW since Oct '02, but I've been writing original stories, including poetry, since I was 14. The original stories stopped, but the poetry didn't. :)

Fav characters: Anakin, Obi-Wan, Padme, Palpatine, Xanatos, Luke, others.

Fav time period(s): PT/OT

Fav kind of stories to write: Character introspection with angst and maybe an occasional splash of mush.

Suggestions/tips: Details. Include details. It may be the poetic background bleeding through, but not including details leave a narrative flat, flat, flat, which is an utter bore to read. And do your research. Get the characters in your head. :)

6. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Fics, and how long you've been writing them: I've been writting short stories since around '97. I had been reading the EU novels and wasn't pleased with the post-ROTJ events, so I created my own. I haven't posted anything on the net, though. [face_blush]
    Fav characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Luke
    Fav time period(s): PT
    Fav kind of stories to write: Character driven AU. Just before TPM's release, I created an OC and ever since my musings have focused on making her fit into the PT story arc.
    Suggestions/tips: Actually, that is why I am here. ;)
    I am hoping to pick up a few from the best (thats you guys) and revise my stories with the newly aquired knowledge in mind before I post anything. :)

7. Jedi_Suzuran

May 22, 2002
    OMG, Gay-Len, I love your sig! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

And you consider us the best? :eek: :eek:

*has a heart attack*

;) :p

8. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    Hehehehe ;)
    I can't take credit for it, though. I've been seeing it everywhere, so I just borrowed it. :D

And yea, I think the writers here are the best I've seen. I've searched around the net looking for fics and only found the occassional gem. But here there are pages and pages of great stories. :D

I can't read them fast enough. ;)

9. TheSwedishJedi

TheSwedishJedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2001
    LOL, I like your sig too, Gay-Len. Seems true, doesn't it.

10. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Bush has the ring.

:eek:

Sweet baby midgets!

In response to Aanix's topic, I've written most of my fanfics at work, but I work at a drive-through liquor store by myself, so I have loads of free time, and high speed internet. :D

Gay-Len, i'm sure you could learn a lot about writing from some professional writers as well - Jack Kerouac, Avram Davidson, Kurt Vonnegut...

11. Jedi_Suzuran

May 22, 2002
    Where I write my fics? At home, usually in the morning. :p

Can't write at school, someone's always bugging me. :p

12. InyriForge

Jan 24, 2002
    TheSweedishJedi, I know what you mean about feeling old. Most of my readers are younger than me. However, I also have a reader who's' over 40.

I'd hardly consider myself the best at anything writing related, but if you think so, you're my new god. ;)

Where do I write? Oh, I write at home when I'm bored or when I'm at school (work) and I give my students quizzes/tests.

~Inyri

13. Aanix_Durray

Aanix_Durray Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    In answering my own question:

I write at home and sometimes in between classes (or in classes, depending on how important paying attention is to my grade :) ).

-~Aanix~-

14. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    I read plenty of classic novels. But I don't think the Bronte sisters or Jane Austin can teach me anything about fanfic. ;)

15. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Fics, and how long you've been writing them: They're in my bio. I've been here close to three years. I've been writing fan fiction over two years. This isn't my first username.
    Fav characters: Darth Vader, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Luke Skywalker, Artoo, See-Threepio, Yoda, Chewbacca, the Ewoks, Jabba the Hutt, Piett, Anakin Skywalker, Lando Calrissian, Needa, Owen and Beru Lars.
    Fav Time Period: OT
    Fav kind of stories to write: OT, AU. Non fluffy stuff.
    Suggestions/Tips: Don't sacrifice any plots for the sake of silly fluff. ;)

16. Jedi_Suzuran

May 22, 2002
    I don't think the Bronte sisters or Jane Austin can teach me anything about fanfic.

Oh, I don't know, I'm sure there's something there. And you got good taste. ;) Two of my fave authors. :)

17. Kathryn

Kathryn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2002
    Hi all! thought I'd join in too.

Fics, and how long you've been writing them: Been here a little under a year, posting since then, and actually written quite a bit. I swear I'll have time to put links to all of those fics in my bio some day! :p

Fav characters: Anakin and Padmé, Leia and Luke, Jaina, Jacen and Anakin.

Fav time period(s): PT/OT, EU, NJO.

Fav kind of stories to write: Any genre really, though I admit to not being so strong with the action element. Most especially though, stories that span more than one genre or focus.

Suggestions/tips: I would pick two things that are most important for writing or for life, really: be different, and be real. ;)

18. RogueSticks

RogueSticks Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    Well I just stumbled across this and thought I'd throw myself into the lot.

Fics, and how long you've been writing them: Well when it pertains to SW, I've been writing them since 6th grade. The only one I actually have up on the web though is "Fight the Tide" and the link is in my sig for that.
    Fav characters: I'm a Solo gal. ;-) I love my Han. And then Leia. As far as EU goes, I'm an Anakin Solo fan.
    Fav Time Period: Why the classic trilogy of course. ESB in particular.
    Fav kind of stories to write: Anything involving Han and Leia.
    Suggestions/Tips: Write what you want to write, not what readers want you to write.

And let's see...I do believe college was mentioned as the next topic of discussion. lol. That could take too long for me. I've been to three colleges. Most recently, Modesto Junior College (where the Flannel God himself started out). I usually write fics in class. Heh. You'd think I'd have less than a 3.9 gpa considering I never pay attention. ::grin::

19. Darth_Bog

Darth_Bog Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    Hey Jedi_Suzuran, you forgot to put MARA in your "favorite characters" list. I thought I'd point that out for you. :D

20. ForceAchtungBaby

ForceAchtungBaby Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2002
    Fics, and how long you've been writing them: I just started writing SW fan fics. I have 2 currently in progress - links in my siggy. But as far as writing in general, I've been writing for as long as I can remember.
    Fav characters: Heros - Obi Wan, Qui-Gon, Padme and the handmaidens, Yoda, Luke, Villans - Darth Vader (dugh, of course) and Boba Fett
    Fav Time Period: PT
    Fav kind of stories to write: I'm a Sabiwan shipper and my first story is a Sabe/Obi-Wan romance. However my other fic is a Star Wars cross-over set in Colonial America during the Salem witch trials - quite a switch egh? Basically, I write whats interesting me at the time.
    Suggestions/Tips: Keep writing through it - Darth Writer's Block or Darth Real Life - don't let it stop you. I let both stop me from writing for over two years and in so doing I lost a large piece of myself.

I believe work was mentioned - I work at a newspaper office - one of these days (crosses fingers) maybe, just maybe, I'll get my big break!
    And when I write - whenever something hits me - but usually in the evenings before bed.

21. Matthew_Wolverine

Matthew_Wolverine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2002

Fics, and how long you've been writing them:

I've been writing here since Dec. 2002.

A Tatooine Jedi in the Big Apple A Star Wars/Marvel crossover

Corellian Dreamer AU

Fav characters: Luke Skywalker, Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Boba Fett, Han Solo, Chewbacca, Kyp Durron, Mara Jade Skywalker, Corran Horn, Wraiths, Rogues, Wedge Antilles, Solo siblings, Tahiri Veila, Leia, Aayla Secura

Fav time period(s): PT/OT/post-ROTJ.

22. InyriForge

Jan 24, 2002
    Wow, we have a lot of members. :)

~Inyri

23. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Hi, all. Thought I'd jump in.

Fics, and how long you've been writing them: I've been lurking here for a little over a year. I've posted one story (see profile) and I've been writing non-posted SW stuff for about a year and a half.
    Fav characters: Pilots, particularly fighter pilots.
    Fav Time Period: OT
    Fav kind of stories to write: Character introspection.
    Suggestions/Tips: Uh...I dunno. Personally, I never completely delete a scene from existence. I may take it completely out of a story, but then I put it in a file with nothing but other deleted scenes. Sometimes down the road I've been able to use them for ideas or sometimes (if I'm really lucky) I find out how to fix them and can recycle them in another story.

Spinning off of Aanix's question, how strongly does your college major (if applicable) or your occupation affect your writing?
    I was an astronomy/planetary science major in school, so any planets that my characters visit will have weather basically corresponding to the type of star and the distance from the star. I've had fun with planets that had a very slow rotation, higher-than-normal gravity, strong magnetic fields and low-oxygen atmospheres.
    That's only part of it, but I need to stop somewhere. :)

I'm curious about how other people incorporate their "real life interests" into their stories, if that makes sense.

Oh, and I mainly write when I get home from work (and should be doing homework ;) ).

-Katie
    Thumper

24. lordmaul13

lordmaul13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000

Fics, and how long you've been writing them: Fics are in bio. I've been around since Oct 00 but didn't come over to fanfic (and start writing) until Jan 03.

Fav characters: Darth Maul (go figure), Boba Fett, Jango Fett, Admiral (don't even say captain) Piett, and the funnymen of Dinner Squadron especially Ton Phanan.

Fav time period(s): NJO

Fav kind of stories to write: I don't know that it's my favorite kind of story but most of what I've written is rather dark. There has been some funny though.

Suggestions/tips: Don't mess with the USA.

lordmaul13

25. Lucid_Lady

Lucid_Lady Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2002

Fics, and how long you've been writing them: I think my 1st fanfic was a noval I wrote with a friend when we were in 7th grade. I have two on here now (links in my signature).

Fav characters: All of them, especially the minor ones.

Fav time period(s): OT and EU

Fav kind of stories to write: Romance

Suggestions/tips: Do you really want my advice?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.