main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2002 Winter Holidays Banner contest

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Carter-TFN, Nov 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Nice banner. :) Although all the other ones were really great too. And don't give up, ADONIAH32 - your banner was really impressive. :D

2. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    Congrats to GayLen, and thank you to everyone that submitted banners. All of the hard work is appreciated.

And, ADONIAH, I really liked your banner.

3. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Congrats Gay-Len! :D

And congrats to everyone that took part, and produced an excellent set of graphics. :)

4. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Awesome banner!

5. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    This is probably my last contest, too, ADONIAH. Don't be discouraged. :)

Thanks to everyone. And congrats to the other contestants, with so many great entries I didn't except this. :)

"...how long did it take to create a banner of this caliber? Did you have to start from scratch?"

Pad, yes I did start from scratch. I used landscape shots of Hoth for the background. It probably took about 3 weeks because I had to search to find what I wanted. I only added one image at a time, and then left it alone for a day or two. Usually I can make a banner in a week. :)

6. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Awesome banner, Gay-Len and congrats!!!!

I love the red line and the bow and how festive it seems. The only problem I have is with Yoda. I only see his ear on the right of my screen :p

w00t!!! Everyone's entries were great!!!

Happy Holidays! It's really christmas now :D

EDIT: and congrats to whoever designed the color scheme. It's great! I can live with it :p

7. Xie-mas

Xie-mas Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 14, 2002
    I love the red line and the bow and how festive it seems. The only problem I have is with Yoda. I only see his ear on the right of my screen

Yeah, really. That looks bad, but everything else is nice.

Yoda should have been moved so that 1024x768ers could see more of him, or so that we had no idea he was there.

8. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    The banner is very festive, I will agree. However, I don't want to sound picky, but why is the menorah featured and no Christian holiday icons? I'm not predjudiced against Jews or their holiday, I think it is good that it's celebrated at the JC as well as Christmas. However, for the sake of equality, I think either the menorah shoudl be removed, or a Christian icon should be added.

9. Xie-mas

Dec 14, 2002
    What the hell are you talking about?

The menorah is half hidden behind text, and is the only Jewish thing on the banner.

The rest of it is entirely Christmas, which, last time I checked, was a Christian holiday.

The icons are mostly Christmas. There are a few "Jewish" icons. Are you unable to cope with everything not being 100% Christian?

10. JediCourier

JediCourier Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    Xie, wouldn't a better question be, what the hell are *you* talking about? ?[face_plain]

Holiday lights=derived from pagan traditions
    Santa hats on people=Don't get me started
    Tree Decorations=derived from pagan traditions
    Snowflakes=Ummm, its winter, there's snow no matter what religion you are
    Menorah=Icon celebrating the Jewish festival of Chanukah (Which, btw is over...if you wanted a Chanukah banner, should've done it back when it was actually Chanukah!)

I'm just saying that it seems silly to insist on pleasing minority groups at the risk of slighting the majority. If you can manage to incorporate Buddhist, Jainist, Hindu, Moslem, Tibetan, Atheist, and Shinto onto the banner, by all means set about trying to represent all the world's major religions...but otherwise keep in mind that the majority of people in the world are Christian and Moslem...followed by Hindu...followed by Chinese Folk Religion...followed by Buddhism...followed by Jewish.
    I have nothing against Jews, I've had the pleasure of being friends with many over the years, I just don't think we need to tailor-make the boards to include a (fairly insignificant) past holiday of theirs, while completly ignoring the 'reason for the season'. Why do we have a new banner, because its people are already opening gifts? Because a Jewish holiday just ended? Or was it maybe actually because of Christmas that we decided to change these banners?

edit: Speeling [face_blush]

11. Xie-mas

Dec 14, 2002
    I never said I had a problem with the banner. I had a problem with Connemara saying that the forums were too "Jewish" right now, which they are not.

12. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Excellant banner Gay-len! :) And the colours are very, very cool too!

Snowflakes=Ummm, its winter, there's snow no matter what religion you are

I'd just like to point out that it isn't winter down here and it certainly isn't going to snow in Australia on Christmas. Does this mean that I'm offended by the fact that this banner caters for only those in the northern hemisphere? No! That'd just be silly.

I think the menorah should stay.

Kithera

13. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Guys, don't start that, or I'll be forced to let Dan create the next banner, and no one wants that.

ADONIAH, and everyone else, don't get discouraged. Every single banner got a mention by at least one person when we were deciding, and it was a close contest.

As for the colours, they were mainly Gay-Len's, with a few little tweaks from me.

14. JediCourier

JediCourier Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    "or I'll be forced to let Dan create the next banner, and no one wants that. "

Well...I dunno, if you had've threatened to let Simone create it, I'd shut up immediately...but Dan...I dunno [face_mischief] ;) :p

15. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    Guys, don't start that, or I'll be forced to let Dan create the next banner, and no one wants that.

Please? For the new year? :p I especially I liked his one for Games. I'm sure he could come up with one in like.....what......10 minutes? :p

16. Chilled-Sarlacc

Chilled-Sarlacc Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2002
    Congratulations to GayLen! :D

And big thanks to all those who entered the contest. All the banners were outstanding! :D

17. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I posted a seperate topic earlier, but was shortly closed for whatever reasons [face_plain]

I just wanted to tell the graphic artist who designed the JC's holiday themed board did a very nice job.

But I did want to make sure that I reminded him/her that another holiday the day after xmas has no representation. The holiday is Kwanzaa, the popular African-American 7 day celelbration which is non-religious and can be celebrated by any race or color. I just wanted to let the designer know that it would be nice if you could include Kwanzaa in your designs as I see you have included Hannukah, and Christmas.

Thanks!
    If you want to learn more about Kwanzaa you can ask me, or look it up on the web :)

18. han_notsolow

han_notsolow Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2001
    It would be nice if the muslim holidays(which falls in the same month would also have been included-a star and moon in a corner) It would be a sigh of unity and oneness. The American muslim community feels left out and this would boost their morale. But I understand that this should have been pointed out ealier since the media does not give so much coverage to the muslim holidays-my bad.

19. Carter-TFN

Carter-TFN Ex-Staff, Admin Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2001
    This was a fun contest. Congrats to the winner and everyone who participated. We'll do this again next year. :)

20. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    I already sent most of this to Zoo, but I'll repost it for anyone else who is interested.

First off, I am atheist. I don't celebrate Christmas myself. I had no intention to create a religiously exclusive banner. I have no religion, so I have no religious bias.

But I wanted to compete, I enjoy making banners and I was anxious to create a banner and scheme that would be used across the entire JC and even in some FanForce forums. So I had to hold back all my dislike for the holiday and make something that other people would enjoy.

But I can't please everyone. I have seen some Christians complaining that it's a part of an admin conspiracy to remove Christ from Christmas, to make the JC overly politically correct. Others resent that there aren't any images of Christ himself and no use of the word Christmas. In some of the various fan clubs, people are complaining that their favorite character didn't make it in, how dare I leave out Darth Vader or Luke or Obi-Wan or Anakin or Padme or Sidious/Palpatine? I even have people mad at me for putting Yoda too far too the right, I should have made special consideration and adjustments just for them because they wouldn't be able to see him on their resolution settting and it was too much for them to change those settings.

Infact, I think the only people who don't have a complaint are the Blue Yoda Society members, and that was unintentional. That pic of Yoda was blue when I found it, several other entries included him, too. *Shrug* Go figure. ;)

I included a menorah because I was afraid there would be a few Jewish members who would complain that it is bad enough for the entire board to celebrate the holiday they don't, I didn't want the banner to be used as 'evidence' in any potential debates. I guess that didn't work out so well. :/

So try to keep things in perspective. So there are December holidays that aren't in the banner. You aren't harmed in any way, it was never meant as an insult, and plenty of the rest of us don't have our beliefs represented in the scheme. It's just a message board, it doesn't make any one holiday more important than another by having it included in a banner. Grilled-Sarlaac has already extended the offer to upload more religious icons if they are submitted to him.

But the time to put in requests for subjects to include was before the banner entries were made, voted on, and the winner selected. The contest lasted for over a month and the thread was always on the first page of this forum. Several people provided images they would have liked to see in a banner, and some of those I used. But when it comes down to it, I am not a December holiday expert and I hope I never am. I'm sorry you are disappointed, but I can't please everyone. :(

EDIT: And one more note to add. The images of R2 and C3P0 in lights were created by Jason Brooks. I never intended to claim them as my own work. I was just lucky enough to find them in a Google Images search. TF.N FanArt has a copy of the original image here.

21. Carter-TFN

Carter-TFN Ex-Staff, Admin Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2001
    The JC admins voted GLK's design as the winner. There shouldn't be any criticisms to her personally.

We hope everyone has a happy holiday season and hopefully, we'll do this again next year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.