main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2003 costume projects

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Nostradamus, Dec 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Thanks QS:)

Yeah,the recycling of fashions has become insanely fast now. I can only think of one other time when a fashion was recycled in a big way after only a few years, the bustle of the 19thC. There was only a few years between them.. and in those years it only occasionally completely disappeared...

There must be more.. but usually things are not discarded then brought back within such a short time frame;)

2. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    Quincy's American Girl doll has a Dorothy costume now too....... :)

3. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    I am a little nervous today...I am performing my FIRST sword balancing act today in front of an audience...I finished my costume for it last night. My choli top is made out of black fabric in the front (it knots closed at the center of the chest between the breasts)but the back and the full sleeves are made from a great Indian sari fabric that is emerald green with great little hand painted designs on it...I made a matching one for my partner.
    We are doing a pretty tricky act today...sword dances are usually done solo...but we took it up a notch and are dancing together...more chance of mishap/danger doing so. We dance pretty closely together at times, and you really have to watch that an arm or your sword or something doesn't knock the other person's sword off their head, hip....
    Wish me luck...and I may have some photos of our costumes and us dancing later if I can get someone to take them!
    QS

4. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    Good luck. May The Force be with you too.

5. Stormtrooper-dude

Stormtrooper-dude Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2003
    Great Mandalorian Armor, Danakin! Great weathering, too. The logo n the armor looks sweet!

6. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    *shoots self in the head*

WHY!!!! I want to know why I keep doing this to myself.

Last year for my class final I chose to construct a civil war corset, one of the hardest patterns I could find for it.

Now I've hand drafted a pattern for a rococo style gown, and I've got a week to get it sewn! I swear, I will never do this again, yet I do!

Gah!

BTW, good luck queenseamstress!

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    It's quite tricky to follow sewing instructions in English. It will work out, most of the time it's quite logical what kinds of seams they are meaning.

8. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    The pictures help too :D

9. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Yeah definetly, I see where the the seams are supposed to be, and I can figure out the rest most of the time.

10. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    This past Friday evening, John Williams conducted the Chicago Symphony Orchestra performing 'movie classics' including 4 selections from Star Wars.
    A dozen members of the midwest Garrison were on hand to welcome concert patrons to Orchestra Hall. :)
    Besides our big Midwest Garrison event over the weekend, I cut out 16 fur hats.
    I got three of them done today.
    Every winter, people see me and Quincy wearing them. I was in our basement looking for any materials I had left from Quincy's Queen Amidala Senate costume to use as reference and color samples, when I ran across some of my (faux) fur remnants. I had made many fur hats before I made Star Wars costumes. I have only made a few special request fur hats in the past couple years.
    I think I am going to carry a few completed ones with me for the next few weeks, because strangers always stop me and ask where I got my hat.
    Maybe I will sell a few. Makes a great gift!

I also sent off eleven entries in a costume contest via the mail. I hope one of them catches the judges attention.

I hope everything went well with your performance qs!

11. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Do you have any pictures of those hat? :D

12. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    I'm having trouble trying to find a cranberry colored velvet. I found something close to cranberry at Jo-Ann's, but it's not really right, and it looks more red in the light. Rag Shop only has purple. Any suggestions?

13. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Dye the velvet. That's my suggestion. You can do it in the washing machine.

14. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    Then I'd get white velvet and just dye it cranberry. Blech. I hate dyeing.

15. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Two more fur hats done.

Sheesh. These fur hats are a breeze now compared to the Imperial hats!

I don't have any pics yet, but I will take some soon.

I also have to begin my search for the perfect shade of cranberry velour. I found it 4 years ago........

16. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    I need either cranberry velvet or velour. Either or will do just fine. I really don't want to dye anything, so I'm going to head to the fashion district in NYC where they have all of the fabric outlets and see what they've got.

17. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Oh stop complaining, Marie. Its not that hard. You can do it!! :D

18. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    *sticks out tongue* I know I can.....I'll make Emperor Fabulous do it ;)

19. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Anyone know a good pattern for this dress??

http://images.cosplay.com/data/5885/127arwenwedding.jpg

Thanks! :)

~Spacelady

20. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    Spacelady, you'll probably have to use more than one pattern and alter them as you go along. I've got some sites and advice to point you at, but right now I've got to run...Tae Kwon Do class in fifteen minutes, eep! I'll see what I can dig up this evening, okay? :)

Edit: If you're talking about the dress that Kellilla is making, it's a custom design of hers and you would have to ask her about it. I can't get the picture in your above message to load, so I can't tell. If you're talking about Arwen's ceremonial gown from the ROTK images, then I can help you.

21. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnkkkkkkkkkk you!!!!!! :)

**Hugs Rvqavalon** :p

This is going to be so hard! I'm going to make for the premire!

As Rvqavalon says it: EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!! :p I'm not even sure which color I'll do the cloak part! :(

Thanks again!
    Spacelady

22. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm still waiting to hear about how queenseamstress did at her dance recital! Tell us!
    (I'm sure she did great! ;) )

23. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    Yes, make with news about the dance recital! :)

Spacelady--
    If you're asking how to do the movie dress, the pale green that Arwen wears, then I suggest you visit the LOTR Costume Research site's pattern suggestion page.

This pattern, Simplicity 9103, could be used to make both layers of Arwen's pale green, Requiem, or blood red dress with a little tweaking. I own the pattern, it goes together nicely and is very simple to make.

Now, on the other hand, if you're asking about Kellilla's Arwen dress design, I can't help you. She designed that dress herself, and before you do anything I think it would be courteous of you to ask her permission. It seems a bit different than reproducing a movie costume, since she personally designed it for herself instead, rather than Ngila Dickinson designing frocks for a production to use where they will be seen worldwide, you know?

And all you wiser and/or more experienced people out there, feel free to squash me if I'm wrong. I'm still learning here, too! :)

24. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Isn't there a pattern like the one she made??

25. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Like the one who made?

For pretty much all of the LOTR gowns, you're going to have to piece together several patterns if you want an exact copy of the dress, unless you're adept at creating your own patterns. That's what the pattern suggestions page at ACS is for.

As for Kell's dress, she's probably doing the same thing--using more than one pattern or making her own--since it's an original design.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.