main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards 2004 Summer Fanfiction Nominations-- Important Announcement for BYTS & TS Nominees on 6/13 in Green

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Summer_Fanfic_Awards, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    All my excerpts are away.... does a happy dance. Boy, that was so hard!!!!!

2. Arriss

Arriss Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    I sent in my PM. :)

3. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Okay, if we're nominated for best collaberation, how are we supposed to use just one scene? It wouldn't show our ablity to work together, though I supppose splitting is fine, but how much can one page really cover? *proceeds to hit head*

4. Marsa

Marsa Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2004
    I resubmitted my entry before I knew you wanted "Version 2" added to the subject line.

Do you want me to resubmit again? I did say it was my second attempt in the body....

Just lemme know, and I'll be happy to comply!

~M

5. jedi_keladry

jedi_keladry Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2004
    Boy, it was hard to decide what to send in!

Tell me about it, Diane. I had to print out five different scenes and hand them over to my mother! She confirmed my leaning towards one of the five, and that's the one I spruced up and sent in.

The quote was easy for me, though. Sent in the best laugh in the whole story.

6. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    The quotes were fun to do. :D I love just picking out striking (or funny, or just plain bizarre) lines. :D Whoever thought of that, good idea! :D

7. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    keladryMy one fic is so long that trying to find 'short' pieces that fit and were understandable chopped up was very difficult. Plus it was nominated for more than one thing and I don't like to repeat excerpts... In the end, I was muttering to myself and saying "Just pick something, you idiot".

obaona As for the quotes, that was the hardest of all for me. I admit it. I love language and description so choosing among my favorites was difficult. Plus they said no long run-on sentences (my downfall....LOL). Choosing 2 sentences that made sense - hard, hard, hard.

I am looking forward to seeing what everyone else has picked for their excerpts and quotes. Should be quite enlightening. Authors might choose very different things from what the readers expect.... :D

8. SJade

SJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 15, 2000
    Category: Best multiple (Sjade and Tatiana)

Sjade and Tatiana

A huge thanks for the person who has nominated our story!!! We're both extremely glad that you've enjoyed it this much so far, and promise to get the fun going again ASAP! THank you thank you thank you!!!

Excerpt from part 12 of Power Lust 1:

"Father," Luke interrupted earnestly, "I too once made that promise, and I changed my mind. I can see that there is more to you than a Dark Lord of the Sith."

Vader whirled back toward him at that, as if greatly angered by his statement.

Luke bravely continued, not allowing himself to be unsettled by his father's now-familiar intimidating attitudes. "There is within you a human being who is
    willing to help others the way he can. If this doesn't warrant redemption or at least forgiveness, then nothing does."

For long minutes, father and son sized each other up, then the dark lord turned away, chuckling slightly as he did so.

"You truly are naive, Son," he commented in mild reproach. "If I were as evil as the Emperor were, you wouldn't have resisted me for long. You're too easy to
    manipulate."

Luke flushed red at that.

"Human beings are not black or white, pure good or pure evil, Son. Our souls are a perpetually shifting pattern of grays. It's a price for the absolute
    liberty of choice. Even you have some darkness in you, my dear son of the Light."

Quote: "The poodoo has really hit the fan this time," Han commented derogatorily.

"Indeed," the black-clad giant commented coolly.

9. Summer_Fanfic_Awards

Summer_Fanfic_Awards Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 2004
    dianethx
    Good job!! The quicker people get them in, the quicker I can get the voting thread up.

padawan lunetta
    It does not have to be from one scene. It just has to be 900 words or less, so you can put in parts of different posts (which would be my suggestion for round robins).

Marsa
    Please do resubmit it with VERSION 2 to make sure that we put in the correct version.

obaona
    Thanks. :) Actually, though, I haven't said what the quotes are for [laugh=evil].

SJade
    Please PM your submission to the appropriate screen name.

10. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    i sent my pm in but forgot to post it here I did, not sure if I had too, also I think I may have forgot to put the markup code on the link in the PM , does this hurt my chances

11. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Actually, though, I haven't said what the quotes are for [laugh=evil].

What?! :eek: You lured us into thinking the quotes would just be posted with our excerpts, but now you're going to do something evil with them? *goes off to look up what I finally sent in, hoping they were nothing that could be twisted into something embarrassing* [face_laugh]

12. Summer_Fanfic_Awards

May 14, 2004
    Darth2,

You can resubmit your entry and I will use the second one as long as you put "VERSION 2" at the end of the subject line (after the regular "NS: Best Whatever"). You do not have to add mark-up codes but it might make the story better.

Jedi-2B,

Don't worry; they'll be used for good (mostly). Just not for what people probably automatically assumed they were going to be used for. :)

(I didn't say they were going to be used in the voting thread)

13. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    Sorry, if I'm late with my entry.

Back to the Beginning
    by AERYN_SUN (The Saga, Best Poem)

Wherever I go,
    whatever I do,
    whatever I become..

It all leads back to you,
    and the day you entered my life.

A brave knight,
    and a handmaiden in disguise,
    our fates were bound together
    as I will forever be bound to you.

We've been separated for so long,
    but it doesn't matter, does it?
    Because you'll always have a part of me,
    and I you.

Whatever becomes of us,
    wherever you go,
    whatever you become,

Love will lead us back to
    the beginning,
    back to into each other's arms.

I pray the fate will allow us that.

~aeryn

14. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Maybe you're not going to use them in the voting thread?!?!?!? [face_devil] Hummmmm, I wonder just what the devious ones have in mind... :D

Must go check to see what I sent it. It could get messy... 8-}

15. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm imagining a very weird fanfic composed entirely of the submitted quotes. :p 8-}

16. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    Question

So, S_F_A, if I'm reading this right

It does not have to be from one scene. It just has to be 900 words or less, so you can put in parts of different posts...

the Best Multiple Author (collaborated) Story excerpt can be taken from several different sections rather than just one continuous 901 word scene? That would be cool, as it would give each author's work the chance to be represented.

17. Jade_Skywalker

Jade_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    Well, I put my PM in. When are the awards? Do we have a date for that yet?

18. SaberBlade

SaberBlade Jedi Master star 3

Sep 19, 2001
    Sent my PM in; hope it arrived ok. Any news on when the voting round is going to start?

-Saber

19. Summer_Fanfic_Awards

May 14, 2004
    Aeryn,
    Entries submitted to this thread do not count. They will only be accepted via PM (please read the directions).

dianethx,
    You'll see. It's nothing big but I am hoping will like it. :)

Jedi-2B,
    I really like that idea. :) It's not what I was planning but I also like that idea! Hey, if you want to put something together like that for the awards ceremony, PM me and we'll work something out. :)

Reihla,
    Yep. :) In fact, anyone could do that if they want to display more than just what is in one single post. Just as long as it is less than 901 words.

Jade_Skywalker
    They have not been announced yet, but will probably be posted in the voting thread (which should be up at the beginning of next week).

20. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    In fact, anyone could do that if they want to display more than just what is in one single post

Heh heh! Too late for me. My individual entries are done and no power on earth could motivate me to go back and re-do them! They were hard enough the first time around.

Thanks for the clarification, though. It really helps on the multi-author category. :D

21. Morgoth_The_Enemy

Morgoth_The_Enemy Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    Okay, I followed all the directions in red and have sent my Pm (Hope I got it right)

I Just want to thank everyone who voted for me who looks at this thread and hasn't posted or has and I've missed them, none of you had to vote for me *considering the utter badness of parts of my fic* and I'm flattered you did. Thanks!.

Also I'd like to give a huge round of applause to the people who run this thing, you guys must work your backsides off to get these nominations done, so a big thank you to all of you as well, your work is definitely appreciated!

22. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    So the separate quote we send in won't be posted with the excerpt, then? :confused: (That would change which quote I choose).

23. Summer_Fanfic_Awards

May 14, 2004
    No, the quotes will not be posted with the excerpts. :) It's supposed to be a surprise but I guess I'll have to explain soon...

:) But not yet.

24. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    It's supposed to be a surprise but I guess I'll have to explain soon...

Nah, surprise us! Sometimes, surprises are good. :D But I'm going to go check my quotes just in case. [face_whistling]

Besides, isn't there still time to change the excerpt/quotes if the person so desires - as long as the PM says that it's a second version replacing the first?

I'm not changing anything anyway. It was too hard to decide the first time!!!

25. Summer_Fanfic_Awards

May 14, 2004
    If you want to change your blurb (please only do this if it is very important as I have done most everyone's mark-up codes already) then resubmit your PM with "VERSION 2" added at the end of your original subject line (which should be as specified in the directions--some of you are not reading them carefully enough).

If you want to change your quote, it's not as big a problem. Simply submit another PM with the title "NS: Best Whatever NEW QUOTE" and then put your new quote in the message body along with the title of the story (please note that in place of "Whatever" you are supposed to put in the category you are nominated for).

Also, please check back at this thread in the next two days as I will have an important announcement up either today or Saturday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.