main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards 2004 Summer Fanfiction Nominations-- Important Announcement for BYTS & TS Nominees on 6/13 in Green

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Summer_Fanfic_Awards, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summer_Fanfic_Awards

Summer_Fanfic_Awards Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 2004
    BEST HUMOR

About Last Night by red_rose_knight
    Force Help Me! She's Pregnant by VaderLVR64
    Not for the Faint of Heart by VaderLVR64
    I Hate Prettyboys by VaderLVR64

Force Help Me! She?s Pregnant

VaderLVR64

Obi-Wan saw two big blue eyes peeking around the corner. He heard a ?psst? sound issue from the general direction of the blue eyes. Then he saw long, slim fingers beckoning him. ?Obi-Wan!? he heard a low and urgent whisper. Obi-Wan peered around the corner, and two sets of blue eyes met, one curious and one frantic.

?What?s wrong, Anakin?? Obi-Wan asked calmly. He had just talked to Bant and had been informed that Padme and the babies were absolutely fine. She expected Padme to go into labor within a few days. Bant had arrived three days ago at the request of Padme to deliver the babies and with her arrival it seemed that Padme had finally begun believe that the time was almost here, her babies would be born soon.

?She?s driving me crazy!? Anakin burst out. ?She won?t rest. She?s always cleaning. Cleaning everything and anything that isn?t nailed down. She took off my tunic an hour after I put it on, said she needed to wash it. She?s washed all the babies? clothes ? THREE TIMES! Last night she actually took a spoon out of my mouth to wash it!? Anakin?s voice ended on a note of disbelief.

Obi-Wan stifled a smile. Bant and Jobal had both informed him that Padme was currently ?nesting,? a process common to human women about to give birth. He put his hand on Anakin?s shoulder. ?It?s normal, Anakin. Her body is just telling her mid to prepare her surroundings for the new baby, or babies in this case.? He gave him an encouraging smile, which wasn?t returned.

Anakin groaned and buried his face in his hands in frustration. ?Gods! I wish they would just hurry up and get here! Waiting month-to-month was hard. The week-to-week waiting was almost unbearable. Then we started counting down the days, which took forever. But this minute-to-minute stuff is absolutely impossible!? Anakin threw his arms wide as he vented his frustration. ?I can?t do it, Obi-Wan, I simply can?t do it. I?m going insane, slowly and steadily insane. Soon I?ll be drooling and telling the pretty pink rancors to get out of my way.?

Obi-Wan couldn?t help but chuckle at that picture. He patted Anakin on the back and led him toward the back of the house, where it was quiet. ?Why don?t you just meditate for a little while? I know it?s not your favorite thing to do,? he said quieting Anakin?s protests before he could voice them. ?But I really think it?s what you need to do. Don?t want the pretty pink rancors to get you, do you??

Anakin smirked and then lowered his long, lean body into the meditation position. Obi-Wan watched him for a few moments, and when he was satisfied that his former apprentice was truly meditating and not just faking, as he had been known to do, he quietly walked away. He walked outside to enjoy the gentle sunshine of Naboo. He loved the smell of the flowers in the air and the way the soft breezes spread their perfume to surround him. It was so peaceful here; he could see why they wanted the twins born here. What a home world to have!

?He?s driving me crazy,? a voice interrupted his reverie. He turned to see a heavily pregnant Padme standing behind him, one hand on her back and the other rubbing absent-minded circles on her abdomen.

?Who?? he asked, although he knew very well who was driving her crazy.

?Anakin, of course! He HOVERS over me constantly. It?s like he?s afraid I?m going to sneeze and the babies are going to pop out on the floor! I wish! The point is, you have to get him out of my way or I am going to slowly strangle the love of my life.? Her voice was quiet but determined.

Obi-Wan laughed at her, and a cross expression came upon her features. ?I?m not kidding. He?ll be dead before they get here! How embarrassing for The Chosen One to be killed by his wife because he?s being a pain in the butt. I can see it now, when the po

2. Summer_Fanfic_Awards

May 14, 2004
    BEST POEM

Back to the Beginning by AERYN_SUN

BEST SONGFIC

In My Daughter's Eyes by by Jedi_Jessie_Anne
    Too Much of Not Enough by RebelScum77

Too Much of Not Enough

RebelScum77

Hundreds of tiny pink petals. Intricately woven into silken golden strands. I am drowning in fascination. Machines I understand, but something so delicate, so perfect? Only as perfect as the body underneath.

I can only imagine.

An amused voice breaks my silent contemplation. I glance at her face and momentarily forget to breathe. Padmé. She gives me a half smile. It hurts my soul. I glance away, continuing to trace the petals with my eyes.

Silence. It?s easier this way. I fear if I open my mouth to speak I won?t be responsible for the words that come out. She doesn?t understand. He?s made you blind.

At first my own vision was elusive. Dark. Cloudy. But the will of the Force is clear to me now.

I know when it happened.

The kiss.

I feel like it happened a lifetime ago. I feel like it is still happening.

She is speaking to me again. Her voice dances over me like the wind. I do not hear what she says, but I feel it. Nervousness is causing her to talk incessantly. It only helps sustain my outward calm. Your thoughts betray you Anakin. Yes. Inside I am in agony.

She askes me about the Jedi and I tell her the truth. I ask her about the Senate and she evades. I sense the beacon of despair in her calm and studied countenance. I?ve always been able to sense her negative emotions, she projects them unknowingly. I think I am the only one who can feel them. I think am the only one who is meant to.

Our stolen youth.

The kiss.

I could feel the torment within her. Feel it on her skin. Taste it on her lips. I can see it in her eyes now. I want nothing more than to take her face in my hands and taste that torment again. It still burns.

I try and settle for staring at the flowers.

While my will drains into a pool of lace and gold.

I ask about her first love. I cannot bring myself to look at her. I ask out of morbid curiosity only. I do not want to know. She doesn?t hide this time because she?s trying to make me suffer. It?s working. Remember to breathe.

She is mine.

I will have my revenge.

We talk of politics. Blind white lies and shallow truths. I find it tedious and insufferable so I play. There is a brief glimpse of uncertainty and annoyance in her eyes. A devilish smile is all it takes to alleviate her worry.

The petals on her bodice rise and fall with her every breath. It is hard not to stare.

Then for some childish reason I find myself on top of a shaak. Some arcane notion of bravery. I manage to stay on long enough to make her laugh. It is enough, but I want to play the game.

I am lying on the grass. I hear her call my name, first with worry, then panic. I smile into the earth. She is running to me, all pretence and protocol forgotten.

Suddenly Padmé is on top of me and I forget everything I ever thought I knew. It?s too much. I am amazed at the feather weight of her body, the scent of her hair, her breath on my lips. I ache for a release that will not come. I fear I will never be this alive again.

It's too much of not enough.

We are not moving... not speaking... not breathing. Her eyes are pierceing my heart with their pain. We are fighting. And I am losing... slipping away.

You came much closer than they had before, Anakin.

You never stop needing...

And it?s good for nothing.

Frustration overcomes me. I can no longer stand to look at those perfect pink petals. She slips through my fingertips and the Force screams at me. I try to stand.

I do not see it coming.

A kiss.

Torment.

I am drowning. I am burning.

Again.

Increase delete escape defeat.

The fire threatens to consume us.

But it is over as quickly as it was begun. Incr

3. Summer_Fanfic_Awards

May 14, 2004
    BEST MULTIPLE

A Singular Touch of Grace by geo3 and leia_naberrie
    Rules of Engagement by Gina and VaderLVR64
    Thwarted Fate by Reihla, RebelScum77 and leia_naberrie

A Singular Touch of Grace

geo3 and leia_naberrie [posted as geo3_n_leia_naberrie]

?Please tell me you?re not still brooding,? a sharp voice said behind her, startling her out of her reverie.

Without turning around Padmé looked beyond her reflection in the mirror to see her oldest friend and most challenging Handmaiden glaring at her over her shoulder.

?I don?t know what you mean, Sabé,? Padmé said, with a feeble attempt at bravado. ?I?m getting ready for my meeting.?

Sabé put her hands on her hips.

?That?s what you said when I left you an hour ago.?

?Oh.? Padmé colored a little. She?d had no idea she had been sitting here so long. ?I was? I was thinking,? she mumbled.

?She was thinking,? Sabé repeated mockingly. Suddenly there was a third face reflected in the glass, looking anxiously over Padmé?s other shoulder.

?My Lady,? Dormé said firmly, ?time is getting short. Look at this!? She waved her hand toward the chaise where one of Padmé?s most splendid court gowns had been laid out for her long before. ?You haven?t even started to get dressed!?

?I know,? Padmé mumbled, burying her face in her hands. ?I know.?

She was brought up short by a none-too-gentle tug at her hair. She opened her eyes again to see Sabé wielding a hairbrush like a weapon, with her mouth set in a determined line.

?I?ll do your hair for you,? Sabé said briskly, ?and then, if necessary, I will personally stuff you into that gown and shove you out the door.? After a few more determined strokes Sabé tossed aside the brush and began the complicated process of braiding. Padmé winced. Every tug and twist revealed Sabé?s opinion about her mistress?s obvious procrastination.

?If I promise to behave, will you stop taking your displeasure out on my hair?? Padmé yelped.

Sabé stopped for a moment, holding a hank of hair in one hand, and placed the other on Padmé?s shoulder.

?I?m sorry,? she said more gently. ?I didn?t mean to hurt. But you have to seize this opportunity to plead your case to the Queen. You just have to. It has taken every resource and every connection at our disposal just to get her to agree to see you. There won?t be any other chances after this.?

?I know,? Padmé said again. ?I know.? She took a breath. ?Well, do your worst. I?ll play my part as required. Like always.?

Suddenly Dormé stooped down beside Padmé, bringing their faces face level. ?It?s not enough to play a part, My Lady,? Dormé said, with uncharacteristic urgency. ?You have to make her understand. You have to persuade her to allow you to finish out your term as Senator. You know that the final decision will be hers.?

?Yes,? Padmé agreed dryly. ?It?s one of the joys of being Queen. You get to make all the decisions that no one else wants to touch.?

?She?s young, My Lady, and untried,? Sabé broke in from her other side. Padmé felt caught in a pincer movement between the two Handmaidens. There was no escape. ?She needs your guidance and your experience. You need to use this opportunity to gain her trust.?

Padmé stared hard at her face in the mirror until the background receded into her peripheral vision and her face seemed to float, alone and disembodied, against a background that shifted like smoke. Who are you? She asked the face again, silently. What are you going to do? The face didn?t answer. Unenlightened, Padmé left it and came back to herself. Her two Handmaidens were still standing on either side of her. They seemed to be waiting expectantly for her to say something.

?Should young Queen Renalia trust me?? Padmé asked sadly. ?Would I, in her place??

?You?re afraid!? Sabé said suddenly, looking stunned. ?You?re actually afraid of taking on a role with some power and influence again! That?s why you?re dr

4. Summer_Fanfic_Awards

May 14, 2004
    BEST OC

Dark Side of the Road by Shaindl --(Ria)
    Soul of Love and Bravery by GunraysLawyer --(Ivo Arzhan)
    Redemption Series by Obi_Ew --(Shai)
    Betrayal by dianethx --(Atel Sl'etah)
    The Killer of Ghosts by Knight-Ander --(Inna Doona)
    Live What You Learn by obi_ew --(Eitan Delano)

Shai Kenobi in In The End

obi_ew

Just thinking back on the entire incident brought the feelings of anger and contempt rushing back to nearly choke Shai. He still had a vivid image of the entire scene in his head. It haunted his sleeping and waking hours, taunting him with the reminder of just how close he had come on that day to choosing the Darkside in order to make Jadon pay. He knew that one day soon he would be forced to face the truth of what he had done. Clenching his jaw, he pushed the darker emotions back behind the shield he had erected against them, his eyes burning as they bored into Jadon?s smug face.

"Where have you been?" the Falleen snapped, leaning back in his leather chair.

Swallowing back the bile that stung the back of his throat, Shai forced himself to reply.

"Out," he barely managed to gasp, his tone thick with disrespect.

Lorcan shifted uneasily, his dark eyes pleading with the younger man to tread carefully. Ignoring the look, Shai allowed a smirk to tilt the edges of his mouth as he continued to hold Jadon?s gaze.

"Out where? I didn?t give you permission to leave the base," Jadon reminded him curtly.

Crossing his arms over his chest, Shai raised an inquiring eyebrow. "Did you know that tomorrow is Tarin?s birthday?"

Frowning at his reply, Jadon shrugged carelessly which caused the younger man to laugh dryly.

"Of course you didn?t , why would you? She is after all merely an employee and easily replaced. That?s all we are to you isn?t it Jadon? A means to an end and if we fail, well you can just have us removed and replaced with someone else. No one has any value to you unless they can help you get what you want," Shai commented, his expression mirroring the pity he felt.

Jadon?s red eyes froze into hard chips at his words, his claws unsheathing threateningly. "Silence!"

Pretending not to hear the warning or see Lorcan?s frantic hand gestures, Shai continued his dialogue.

"Have you ever loved or been loved Jadon? Have you ever been close to another being and experienced the pleasure of having a bond that could withstand anything?"

Met with a seething silence, Shai shook his head sadly, his gaze raking the crime boss. "How desolate your life must be. How unbearably lonely."

As Jadon began to stand up, Lorcan quickly moved forward and glared pointedly down at the young man.

"That will be enough Kenobi!"

Meeting the towering security chiefs gaze, Shai understood the beseeching look that was hidden beneath the warning glare and backed down. Shrugging, he focused his attention back on Jadon who although he had slumped back in his chair, was far from calmed down.

"You are awfully daring for someone who depends on me for your life!" Jadon muttered heatedly, hands clenching the arm rests.

Head pulling back, Shai smiled faintly at the statement. "The only thing keeping me here Jadon is the fact that I gave you my word. We both know that if I wanted to, I could leave and there is nothing you could do to stop me."

Rage flared briefly in Jadon?s eyes but was quickly replaced with a taunting grin that had Shai?s blood freezing in warning.

"You claim to be a man of your word little clone, I suppose that means that you have no knowledge of the man who is going around asking questions about you?" he inquired maliciously.

"What man?" Shai breathed, his pulse beginning to race with excitement.

Leaning back in his chair once again, Jadon pretended to suddenly lose interest in the subject and shrugged indifferently as he waved a hand in the air. "These are just rumors that have gotten back to me. I?m sure there is nothing

5. Summer_Fanfic_Awards

May 14, 2004

BEST NEW AUTHOR

VaderLVR64
    Gina
    kayladie97

kayladie97
    6/6/2003

Sleight of Hand

My Brother's Wedding

This Ain't a Love Song

Letters to Daddy

The Big Chill

?Oh, having intimate little meetings with Antilles, are you? Do I have some competition for your affection?? Han teased with a suddenly roguish grin.

Arica froze him with a glare. ?I?d hardly call the cafeteria an ?intimate? setting, Solo. And I don?t have affections for you to compete with Antilles for.?

?You?re a woman, aren?t you? Men are always gonna compete for your affections. Just remember I?m Corellian, too, and I?m a lot older and more experienced than Wedge,? Han said with a sly wink.

VaderLVR64
    2/5/04

No Greater Love

Stronger Than Death

Force Help Me! She?s Pregnant

Not for the Faint of Heart

The Burning

It?s Not Easy Being Mean

Ascension into Darkness

Gone

Only in this for Credits

Reflections of a Mother

Always

This Dark Night

Enough

You Gave Him My Name

I bled out tiny droplets of Darkness and with each drop that fell out of me a seemingly insignificant speck of Light took its place. I mourned those bits of Darkness, I yearned for the power they represented, but I could not stop the bleeding. I bled and bled until those black drops formed a puddle at my feet. The puddle of shadows became a pool and that pool became a sea. A sea of darkness that wept out of me and let light flow in to fill the void.

BEST AUTHOR

Shaindl
    Darth_Lex
    Reihla
    obi-ew
    leia_naberrie
    dianethx

Darth_Lex
    November 2002

The Skywalker Prophecy ? Episode IV: A Destiny Renewed

The Skywalker Prophecy ? Episode V: Hope and Darkness

The Skywalker Prophecy ? Episode VI: The Paths of Fate

Chandrila Surprise

?Keep these two separated for a while,? Bryon told the pair. ?I have enough to think about without dealing with dissension in the ranks.?

?Sure thing,? Lando said. He grabbed Han roughly by one arm while Chewie took the other, and together they unceremoniously hauled the protesting Solo away.

Danaé silently offered her hand to Luke, who took it and allowed her to lead him back toward the forest.

Frowning, Sarré looked up at Bryon. ?Let me guess. Those two idiots lost Leia??

obi_ew
    April 14 2002

click here for stories

"See anything?"

Dead silence reigned as the two of them merely stared at one another unblinkingly.

Obi-Wan waited fo

6. Summer_Fanfic_Awards

May 14, 2004
    Reserved for future use.

7. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Gosh, imagine my embarrassment when I realized I forgot to include spaces between the lines of my excerpts! [face_blush] Sorry about that, guys, but I was rushing to get out the door to Florida and I figured the excerpts wouldn't wait until I got back. :p

Jae Angel

8. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    I thought the blurb was to be small to the point, then I saw everyone else go big, now mine is very small all I can say is Oh boy, also my markup didnt work either

9. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    ATTN: TO READERS

I've noticed that there are a couple of spelling errors in my excerpts. Sorry, I thought I had corrected those. [face_blush] But I'm going to let those slide since they're so minor, and so I won't have to take up anymore of Kettch's time. ;)

Please forgive my errors. :)

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Thank you very much for posting those early, Kettch. I spent today reading and I'm already done with the nominees for Saga. This will be very helpful as I'm going to be busier in later weeks as voting time nears.

-sj loves kevin spacey

11. Jade_Skywalker

Jade_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    A question: Since these have been divided up into Before/Saga/Beyond does that mean we are only up against the others from the same section, or are we up against everyone from all three sections?

12. Summer_Fanfic_Awards

May 14, 2004
    solojones,
    You are welcome. Just make sure to check back with the official thread because there might be a few additions.

Jade_Skywalker,
    This time the competition is only between stories in the same era.

Knight-Ander,
    If you want to send a corrected version of your blurb to my e-mail with all the mark-up code finished then I am willing to replace the misspelled version. Just PM me if you want my e-mail.

Darth2-D2,
    The blurbs for all the categories but author categories were supposed to be 900 words or less captions from your story. If you would like to change your submission then I am willing to accept it if you will send it to my e-mail with all the mark-up coding ready to be posted. PM me if you want to do this.

NarundiJedi,
    I will try to remember to add the spacing on your post but if I forget, then remind me once the voting thread is posted. Did that make sense? It didn't to me but I'm irritated because I've had a fever off and on (more on than off) for three days now. Urgh! Bad timing. Anyway, we'll try to fix your submission.

13. Summer_Fanfic_Awards

May 14, 2004

READ THIS ENTIRE POST BEFORE SENDING ME ANY QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS.

Well, I am very hesitant to do this but due to some suggestions made, I am posting the Before the Saga submissions from the voting thread a few days before posting it in its own thread. There are two reasons I am doing this. 1) To give a few extra days for people to look over the submissions and 2) So that the authors can correct major mistakes now instead of after the voting thread has been posted.

This is just the Before the Saga nominees. Beyond the Saga nominees were posted on 6/12 and The Saga nominees were posted on 6/13.

Do NOT send any votes in now. The voting stage has not begun; this is just a preview. Any votes sent in now will be ignored and will greatly irritate me.

If you do not see your submission then one of the following things probably happened;

1) You did not send your submission before 9 am, Sunday.

2) You did not send your submission to the correct screen name

3) You did not send your submission with the correct Message Subject. This is probably the most common error and could have been avoided by reading the directions post more carefully.

What to do if there is a Problem with Your Submission

You must follow these directions EXACTLY or your problem will not be corrected. If you think me mean, then consider: I have 300+ stories to organize; how many submissions do you have to work on?

1) If your story is not included but you did send it, please re-read the directions posted in this thread on 6/2 in red print. Then send your story correctly.

2) If your post does not include mark-up coding, then you did not type in the coding according to the directions given you on 6/2. If you would like to add coding correctly, please re-read the directions, figure out what was wrong with the coding you sent, send a completely redone submission exactly according to the directions with the exception of the message title. Your subject line should read ?ADDITION: MC: Best Whatever? where ?Whatever? is the category your nomination is for.

3) If there is some other error in your story that desperately needs to be changed then please send another PM in the same format you already sent with the following additions: a) In the title type ?CHANGE: Best Whatever? where ?Whatever? is the category you are nominated for, b) In the body of the message, highlight/color the changes you made. If there is no highlighting/coloring, I will not change the submission.

4) If you have any questions please post them here or PM me.

Note that changes/additions are not my first priority right now. Getting the rest of the sagas voting threads is. Therefore, do not expect your changes/additions to be taken care of immediately. Just hope that I get them done before it is time to post the voting thread.

Sincerely,

The Evil Mean Unmerciful Strict Demanding Kettch

14. Summer_Fanfic_Awards

May 14, 2004
    BEST AU

Scars and Beginnings by Indra
    Pushing Me Away by obi_ew and Shaindl

Scars and Beginnings

Indra

Obi-Wan Kenobi was a mystery to Xanatos. The boy seemed to be quite intelligent and a quick and hardworking student. However, he never voluntarily participated in class and only answered to questions when directly addressed. His answers were always correct and right to the point.

One day, after several weeks had passed since the first lesson, Xanatos decided to confront the boy. When the children started filing out of the room, Obi-Wan one of the first as always, he asked the boy to have a word with him. The young Padawan looked up at him, seemingly shocked for a moment before averting his eyes to the floor again. His tutor saw Bruck Chun smirk but refrained from commenting on it. What was it with these two boys? Garen and Reeft lingered in the doorway, obviously wanting to wait for their friend, but Xanatos told them to go on. Obi-Wan paled a bit more.

The young man decided to get straight to the point: "Obi-Wan, what is wrong with you? You are not a bad student at all. Why do you never say anything?" The boy didn't answer, but only continued to stare at the ground. Xanatos was getting impatient. "I asked you a question, Padawan. And look at me when I'm talking to you!"

Kenobi's head jerked up at the stern words. His words came out as a whisper: "I'm sorry, Padawan Xanatos. It will not happen again."

That didn't exactly answer the question, but Xanatos saw that the boy was frightened and let it go. "All right, Obi-Wan. Go on now and join your friends." The small boy all but ran from the room. OK, so he had seen the fear in the boy. The question now was of what he was so afraid? It wasn't as if Xanatos had punished him for anything. He sighed and, looking at his chrono, saw that it was time for mid-meal.

When Xanatos entered the dining hall, he immediately spotted his Master. Carrying a tray of food, he joined him at the table. "Hello, Master."

"Hello, Xani. How was your lesson?"

"It was ok", the young man replied, his eyes searching for Obi-Wan at the table of the junior Padawans. The boy sat in his usual spot, talking to his friends and even smiling a bit. Next to him, Bant, a Calamarian girl of 11, related an obviously funny story because all the other children around her were laughing heartily.

//What are you thinking of, Padawan?//

The question in his mind jerked him out of his thoughts. "Nothing of importance, Master." he answered aloud. But Qui-Gon knew better.

Suddenly a shout from the other side of the hall penetrated their conversation. "What's the matter, Oafy? Can't even defend yourself? Need a girl to do it?" Bruck was standing behind Obi-Wan, who didn't turn his head but blushed a deep shade of red. Bant was standing up and glaring at Bruck.

"Now, now, what is all the commotion about?" It was Adi Gallia, who tried to calm the young Padawans.

"Bruck threw food at us and insulted Obi-Wan!" Bant called, outraged.

"Can you confirm this, Padawan Kenobi?"

Obi-Wan looked briefly at the threatening expression on Bruck's face and then whispered: "No, Master Gallia."

Bant looked shocked: "But how can you let him do this to you?"

The boy said nothing and just stared at his tray. As soon as everyone had calmed down and was minding their own business again, he stood up and left the hall. Xanatos stared after him. What was wrong with the boy? He decided to ask his other teachers for any strange behaviour.

He turned to his Master who observed him quietly. "Do you know who his Master is?"

"Kenobi's? I believe it's Master Rin Calan. Why?"

"Oh, just interested. Please excuse me, Master, I have a few matters to attend to. Will I see you at supper?"

"If you plan to take it in our quarters I believe I will see you." Qui-Gon answered with a trace of a smile on his face. Xanatos gave him a nod and a brief smile of his own and then left the dining hall. He had to find out what was troubling the chil

15. Summer_Fanfic_Awards

May 14, 2004
    BEST HUMOR
    Qui-Gon and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, by LayrenVacation by Obi_the_kid
    Gimme Danger by JadeSolo
    That Crazy Little Thing Called Love by Shaindl

Qui-Gon and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Layren

I went to sleep and forgot to set my bedside chrono to wake me up, and when I woke up I tripped over my school bag and by accident I dropped my only clean tunic down the laundry chute so I had to wear a dirty one, and when I put on my boots I discovered they were too small?and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

At breakfast I wanted a muja fruit, but all I could find was some old tea in a pitcher and a few jiqui fruits. I think I?ll move to Alderaan.

On the way to class I forgot my book bag so I had to go back and get it, and by the time I got it and got to class I was late and Master Rajane scolded me for not being on time and promised to let my master know about it. I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

During class I had to read my essay aloud and Master Rajane liked Tahl?s essay better than mine.

At astronavigation class I messed up the simulator so badly that it had to be reset and reprogrammed. Who needs to fly? It?s dangerous anyway. At quantum mathematics I forgot part of my assignment back in the apartment that I share with my master. I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good very bad day.

I could tell because Kyran was mad at me for forgetting to meet him for lunch with Devin. I told him that it was an accident. He said next time he would go with Devin without me since I forgot.

I hope you get sent to Hoth, I said to Kyran. I hope when you get a double-layered sweet snow cone the sweet snow part falls off the cone and lands on Hoth.

That Crazy Little Thing Called Love

Shaindl
    NOTE: This story was part of the Valentine's Day Love Letter Challenge and can be found about a third of the way down the first page.

You?re joking, right?

Beep.

You?re not.

Beep.

You really want me to do this?

Beep.

Okay, okay. Dear Maker, I was created to speak to all manner of machines, and I?m reduced to this?

Beep!

All right, all right, I?m on it. Uppity little?ahem.

Hello, Naboo cruiser. My name is DRL0VE ? but you can call me DR for short ? human and cyborg-

BEEP!

Oh, okay. Cyborg relations only. My companion here, A1-0NE, has asked me to read the following to you since he cannot communicate with you in your own language. His coding is not as advanced as yours. We?re working on it. Besides, he thinks that binary is really not the most romantic of languages.

You?re sure you want me to continue?

BEEP!

Is that really language a droid in love should be using?

CHIRP!!!

All right, all right, don?t crash now, for the Maker?s sake. Ahem.

Dearest Naboo Cruiser S3XI,

How do I love thee?

That?s the best you could come up with for an opening?

Beep, chirp, warble.

All right, so you didn?t have a lot of time to work on it. Moving along.

As I rolled over your hull to fix your malfunctions last week, I realised that you were the one for me. I love every rounded part of you. Your viewscreen and portholes are like windows into your beautiful mainframe. The silver of your paint job is like the silver lining of the clouds. I want to fly with you forever.

Your wings make my heart drive soar.

Was that really necessary?

BEEP! CHIRP!

Testy, testy. Dear Maker, what passes for humour in an astromech. Right. Next.

I know that we will face difficulties ? some don?t like interconnections between machines of different versions. Some will actively seek to destroy o

16. Summer_Fanfic_Awards

May 14, 2004

BEST POEM

Conflicting Closeness by Sgath

BEST CROSSOVER

So it Begins by Lady-Kenobi
    Elementary, My Dear Obi-Wan by Frostfyre
    Across the Tide of Time by CalaisKenobi

Elementary, My Dear Obi-Wan

Frostfyre

There was a soft knock at the door. Mycroft, with surprising speed for a man his size, sprang to his feet and opened it, admitting a short, nervous looking fellow in his mid-thirties with a shock of dark red hair and slightly watery green eyes. He was dressed impeccably, in the height of fashion, from his beaver hat to his well-shined shoes and silk waistcoat. ?M-Mycroft,? he said, his eyes darting to Holmes and I. Ben, still seated, was mostly obscured by Mycroft?s bulk.

?MacEiver. Sorry to call you up in a rush like this.?

?W-what seems t?be the problem?? He had a soft Scottish burr, noticeable even through his stutter. ?I was j-just on m?way to the train station. B-business back home in Edinburgh.?

?Rory MacEiver, this is my brother, Sherlock Holmes, and his friend and associate Doctor Watson. They seem to have picked up a stray. I thought you might be interested.? He moved aside, gesturing to the young man seated by the window.

MacEiver froze, his eyes widening a little, and said nothing.

?Dammit, MacEiver,? Mycroft said peevishly. ?Can?t you let me know when you?re bringing in more people? I?m getting too old to have surprises sprung on me like this!?

The little Scotsman suddenly straightened, all semblance of nervousness falling away. ?We weren?t getting anyone new in, Mycroft,? he replied evenly, and I noticed with a shock that not only had his stutter vanished, but so had his Scots accent. It now sounded more than a little like Ben?s, and as I looked closer at him, it seemed to me that he no longer even resembled a Scot. He turned his gaze back to Ben. The young man rose and bowed. MacEiver bowed back. ?What?s your name, Padawan??

?Obi-Wan Kenobi, sir.?

?And your master??

?Qui-Gon Jinn.?

MacEiver smiled slightly. ?I know that name. He taught a few of the saber classes at the Temple right before I took the Trials. Where is he??

?I?don?t know. We were separated, and?and I can?t feel him through the bond.? For the first time since we?d met him, Ben seemed to lose his calm demeanor, and was all at once a worried young man. ?He isn?t dead, though. I?m certain of that. Almost.?

?Let us hope not.? MacEiver hesitated then, glancing at Holmes and I. ?I do not like involving more people in this, but?? he shrugged. ?Nothing happens by accident.?

Holmes folded his arms. ?You could start by explaining that intriguing little conversation, Mr. MacEiver,? he drawled. ?And then you could tell me how it is you managed to so completely appear in every way a Scotsman from the northern part of Edinburgh, educated at Oxford, and who has spent a number of years on the Continent.?
    MacEiver?s eyes glittered in amusement. ?Practice, Mr. Holmes. Years of it.?

?What is this talk of a temple?? I interjected. ?And trials? If you ask me, it sounds like a lot of that spiritualist nonsense.?

The red-haired man laughed. ?Hardly that, Doctor Watson. Incidentally,? he added, ?I find your stories in The Strand to be most interesting.?

Holmes cleared his throat pointedly, before I could do more than stammer my thanks and realize that MacEiver had deflected my question quite neatly. ?It seems that I?ve asked this question a number of times already, and as I dislike repeating myself, I hope it will be answered this time without any further evasion. What is going on??

MacEiver sighed, folding his hands before him much as Ben did. ?I fear, Mr. Holmes, that you will find my explanation difficult to believe. You pride yourself on being a rational man, and there is no basis of comparison in your experience for this.?

Holmes smiled tightly. ?I like to think I am not irrevocably narrow-minded, Mr. MacEiver,? he said. ?To use an American phrase: Try me.?

The short man nodded. ?Very well then. Obi-

17. Summer_Fanfic_Awards

May 14, 2004
    BEST MULTIPLE

Pushing Me Away by obi_ew and Shaindl
    Invisible Enemy by Jane_Jinn and Mistress_Renata

Pushing Me Away

Shaindl and obi_ew

He hadn?t been truly afraid before ? he?d been in situations like this far too many times before to get scared ? but the fear in his Master?s mental voice rattled him more than he liked to admit. Unhooking his ?sabre, he tried to shake it off without much success.

A quick glance at and scan of his guide told him the man was an unwilling accomplice. "I know you were forced into this," he said quietly.

"Where I come from, we are taught to revere Jedi." The man looked at him with helpless, wide eyes. "He has my family."

Obi-Wan nodded grimly. "Get clear of this when it starts. Don?t stay to watch."

"I am sorry, Padawan Kenobi."

"As am I." He looked at the quickly approaching buildings before glancing back at Mir?ka. "Can you jump?"

The car had continued to slow, and they were moving at a fraction of the speed of before. Mir?ka gauged it with his eyes. "I think so."

"I?ll make it look like I pushed you."

"What about you?"

Obi-Wan looked ahead again. "There?s too many of them to handle on my own. I?m going to push this thing as fast as it will go and try to get through them. You can?t be here for that, because they?ll open fire."

"Go with speed, Jedi."

"On three."

On the count of three, Obi-Wan used the Force to open the door and pushed Mir?ka out of the hovercar. Out of the corner of his eye, he watched the man tuck and roll, and knew he was okay. One less worry.

He threw himself into the driver?s seat and opened up the hovercar to its fastest gear. The engine roared, and he saw the waiting men?s faces tighten as they realised what he was doing. Many of them sank to one knee to give themselves a steadier aim.

Traditional Jedi teaching said there was no such thing as luck. In practice, every Jedi that Obi-Wan knew believed in random chance, and knew that it was luck that would get you almost every time. The one thing you couldn?t have planned for, the one thing you couldn?t have prevented was almost always the thing that led to disaster.

And so it was for Obi-Wan on Sempris.

Pushed past its limits, the hovercar seemed intent on reaching the horizon in as little time as possible. The men who had been lying in wait for him had opened fire long before he had reached them, but he had hunkered over the controls and had been moving so fast they couldn?t get a well-aimed shot off. The small car hurtled by them with such speed that even with his Force-enhanced vision, Obi-Wan couldn?t make out the details of their faces.

He had broken through their ranks, and they were shooting wildly after him. Just as he thought that maybe he had made it, thought maybe he was past them, one last shot was sent in his wake.

It caught the power cell of the hovercar, blowing it at once and sending the vehicle careening. Power bled out of it and it began to slow at once even as it fishtailed. The men behind him were already moving, running to catch up to the dying car.

Obi-Wan thought about jumping and running, but knew that his exposed back would make a wonderful target. With that he decided on his plan of action. He got the car headed directly at the last of the buildings and at the very last second wrenched the controls, tilting the car up on its side. It fell heavily, landing and skidding across the ground. The Padawan rolled clear of it and came to his feet with his blade humming.

The car had ended up forming a barrier between him and the approaching men, one of the buildings at his back. It was as much cover as he was going to get, and he faced them squarely.

It was a short, brutal fight. The odds were stacked against him, just as he?d known they were. They worked their way closer and closer, and started spreading out in a rough arc, slowly closing the circle around him. Obi-Wan took as

18. Summer_Fanfic_Awards

May 14, 2004
    BEST ORIGINAL CHARACTER

Ben'al Houk from Tale of a Jedi: Volume II by red_rose_knight
    Videira the Vine in The Panther?s Cub by PaddyJuan

Ben?al Houk in Tale of a Jedi Volume 2 The Birth of the Sith Killer

red_rose_knight

Trembling fingers ran over the stiff material of the new cloak that hung loosely from Ben?al Houk?s thin frame. He tugged at it, desperate for warmth, but it provided little protection against his bare chest. His skin was clammy and damp from his over-exertion. Grinding his teeth together in a futile effort to control the pain that raged through his chest and abdomen, his breaths came in quick stabs.

Long fingers maintained a strangle hold on the silver and black lightsaber hilt as he pressed it protectively to his bandaged chest.

The only thing the padawan was certain of was that he needed to sit down or fall down. Save the nagging of his already wounded pride, it did not matter, as long as he could find some measure of rest.

Bare feet, the bottoms of which were blackened and smooth from treading the common passages, shuffled over the grit that lined the gently curving corridor. He huffed tiredly as he pressed against the wall. A small part of him wishing to stay out of the way of the sparse traffic that filled it during the midday.

A soft groan passed pale lips, as he pressed harder into the wall. He needed a chair, just for a moment, something to take the weight off his shaky bones. There were long benches just inside the Archive?s main fourth level doors. It would provide the solace he needed to rebuild his energy before heading toward the learning stations by the rock garden.

Focusing his thoughts away from his weakness, he stared down at the weapon held in a white-knuckle grip. He pressed it firmly to his aching chest. The thought of Master Horus who had long owned the weapon, drifted through his mind.

Here. You will need this, the Bothan?s last words echoed in his mind.

Mercifully, there were only a few beings traveling the gently curving corridor, yet every species, size and age were accounted for, but he tried not to acknowledge their concerned looks. He did not need to see his pain confirmed in their silent gazes. Their pity was not welcome. Grasping for his ever-elusive center, he cast out, projecting that he did not need any help. The last thing he wanted was some knight to think they had to save him from himself and drag him to the healing center.

But the broadcast did him little good. Within an instant, he sensed an approach from behind. Shifting to protect his back with the unyielding wall, he spoke in a soft, yet irritated tone, ?I do not??

?Yes, you do,? Tirati Bak?Alma said as he closed the distance between them. There was a knowing in his voice that reflected his lifelong friendship with the padawan Sith killer.

?Bother,? he groaned, turning away from his friend.

With a huff, Tirati marched around to face Ben?al. ?I am shocked,? he said, adding a wide grin and folding his arms across his chest. ?I did not think your arrogant streak would let you out of the apartment until you were completely healed.?

?Not in the mood, Tir,? the golden brown haired padawan said softly before turning his gaze toward the opposite wall.

Unperturbed, the tall apprentice went on. ?So, where are you going? The healing center is the other way. You are far from your apartment and the cafeteria is many levels down.?

?Not going there.?

?Well, you should.?

Narrowing his gaze, Ben?al looked up at the friend who blocked his path. He reached across his wrapped chest and tugged at his cloak again. The starch in the material was itchy against his bare flesh. He should have pulled on a shirt before leaving the apartment, but had not considered it in his haste for answers.

?I?m meeting some of the others for lunch. You need to eat. Why not join us?? There was a pause. ?It has been weeks since we were all together.?

?No,?

19. Summer_Fanfic_Awards

May 14, 2004

BEST AUTHOR

dianethx
    JadeSolo
    PaddyJuan
    red_rose_knight

dianethx
    3/1/02

Stories
    Betrayal
    But
    Draigon's Lair
    Bennie
    I Hate My Job
    Shattered
    R2D2 Droid Master of the Empire
    It's a Jungle in There
    The Bureaucrats are in charge
    The Love Letter
    Wind's Caress Kata under sock Wormie_Skywalker
    A New Hope under sock Merlin_the_Wise
    As the Furniture Flies round-robin with several other authors
    Pathetic Lifeforms or the Lessons of Life Section1A
    The Letter
    A Case for Revenge

JadeSolo
    Sept. 2002

My fics (goes to my profile)

PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan: 11/15/02

The Unforgiven Too:

The Panther's Cub:

Three Twists of Life

I Hate Jello as SwimFin

As The Galaxy Turns as
    Kateb_Ana

Desert Journal as Sock_a_wan

I Remember

Death by Chocolate - the Icing of Obi-Wan

To Find the Light:

BEST NEW AUTHOR

VaderLVR64
    Indra
    Jedimommie2
    Kynstar

VaderLVR64
    2/5/04

Obi-Wan vignettes

He?s One Dead Padawan

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan vignette series

My Chosen One-Shmi vignette

Indra
    12/31/03

Scars and Beginnings

Where I'm Going, I No Longer Know

jedimommie2
    May 2004

The Ultimate Betrayal

20. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Totally understood, KTJ. I myself have been recovering from stomach issues and had a fever (and other things) that kept me awake a few nights ago. :p Hopefully we'll both start to feel normal soon! :)

Jae Angel

21. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Did my story actually make it to the end with the 'Underrated' and 'Best New Author'? I didn't think it made the cut off... if it did, I apologize in not sending the info/blurb for those sections. I thought it did not make it to the end for those 2 sections. If you still need something, please let me know!

(I am still so shocked... thanks soooo much to those that voted for my story and Menaria!)

22. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    If I were you, Kynstar, I'd send in the blurbs anyway. It looks like you are listed in both of those catagories you mentioned....

And I'm sure the SFFA person is still reeling from all that coding.... poor thing.

23. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    This is just a thought, but in this thread, when the noms and excerpts were listed, the total list of nominees were listed directly before the excerpts began for each category. In the new voting threads, the total list of all nominees is only in the first post. As you read down the list of excerpts, there's no way to tell, for example, if there's only 3 stories in contention or just 3 out of 5 excerpts were sent in. Stories without excerpts might unintentionally be ignored if posters just look at the list of excerpts to decide their ballot.

24. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Not only that, HHP, but some of the excerpts in this thread do not show up in the specific threads even though they made the cuts - especially in the Before the Saga thread. I've let the SFFA person know but.... I don't think it's fixed yet. She did have a lot of work to do!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.