main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards 2005 Summer Post-Awards Discussion

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by JadeSolo, Aug 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Here it is, what the title says. :p Before you start, a few guidelines to keep in mind:

1) BE RESPECTFUL.

This thread is not the place to complain about what you did or didn't win, or what your friends did or didn't win. It's disrespectful and rude to those who did actually win. If you have personal concerns, PM the mods or take the discussion off TFN.

The etiquette thread is available for general discussion about post-awards behaviour. Make use of it! :)

2) BE HELPFUL.

This thread is for constructive criticism. If you didn't like something about the awards, suggest a change for next time. It's easy to spot the problems, but what are really needed are solutions. You never know what might work!

3) BE APPRECIATIVE.

Don't forget the volunteers! They all put a lot of work and sanity into these awards. So while you offer concrit, remember the pain and suffering they went through. ;) Or better yet, find a way to ease it. :D

Also, if you really liked something in particular about these awards, let it be known. It'll be a big help to future awards organisers.

And now...discuss away. :D

2. IrishEyedJedi

IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2005

Are you guys going to create a thread for everyone to look at the entertainment from all the shows? Cause I think that would be a lot of fun. That way we don't have to go through the whole award show thread.

3. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I think it was one of the best and well organized shows yet. Good job to all those involved.

4. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Are you guys going to create a thread for everyone to look at the entertainment from all the shows?

Hmm, that's a good idea. :D One big thread for pieces from all three ceremonies would probably be enough. Or would it be easier to post them in the excerpt threads, maybe, so you could easily find the entertainment from each ceremony?

Hopefully the hosts still have everything saved. :p

5. Aiden_Sanic

Aiden_Sanic Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2005
    First of all let me congradulate every last person who helped out to make these awards possible.

=D= =D= =D=

And let me give a hand to every last person who recieved an award.

=D= =D= [face_peace] [face_peace]

If it would be ok, I would like to ask a question.

For anyone who won a fan-fic award, how much work did you have to put in to recieve it?:confused:

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    The Saga was the best-organized, I think. So well-done and entertaining.

7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Everyone did a great job at the ceremony =D= but maybe we could make them shorter--not as in catagories, but as in time the actual ceremony took. I was only at Beyond, but near the end they had to do it very quickly because both hostesses were really tired (though one was several hours ahead of board time so it was the middle of the night for her).

I noticed that the awards took several hours to give out, so maybe make it take less time.

8. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Do the presentation of the nominees and the announcement of the winner(s) in the same post?

Oh, and I guess i'll say this now. If you need a non-Beyond host for the Winter ones...

Striker is willing.

Striker is also insane, but he's willing...

9. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes, six hours is a looooooooong time, for the record.

10. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    I agree that the ceremonies should be shorter. 6 hours is a bit long. ;) Every single one of the hosts did a FABULOUS job with the awards. =D= The length wasn't their fault. :D

More later. Brain being beaten by Anna Karenina.

11. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    I thought the awards were well organized if a bit long. Kudos and thanks to all the hosts and volunteers. [:D] Congrats to all the winners and nominees.
    --Wynssa

12. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    I have one concern and I know that it's probably difficult to find a solution for everyone, but I had a few problems with the times the awards started. Three pm was fine, but five pm was really late, especially since it was a Sunday and most people probably had to go to school or work the next day. It's a bit difficult for people living in Europe. I know that you can't make it work for every time zone, but if the hosts can't do it earlier, maybe we could have the ceremony that has to be late on a Friday or Saturday. That way more people can stay up late.

13. SapphireBloom

SapphireBloom Jedi Youngling star 2

May 9, 2005
    This was my first awards ceremony and I sat in on the Saga. I have to admit it was a little long. Would it be possible to have the winners announced a little quicker? I don't know that they should be in the same post necessarily, but within a minute or so might make things move a little faster. I enjoyed the entertainment, especially the posters and magazine covers. They were hilarious.

I'd volunteer to help with Saga awards in the winter too.

14. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Oh, and I guess i'll say this now. If you need a non-Beyond host for the Winter ones...

Striker is willing.

Striker is also insane, but he's willing...

To add to that -- Idrelle is willing to do the Before awards for the Winter ones. Perhaps Idrelle is also insane. :p

The Awards were really well done, but of course, since they were my first ones I have nothing to compare them to! I hve only one thing to say -- I think the hosts should decide on what time they would like the awards for their specific era to begin so we avoid the tiredness that Alethia experienced while hosting the Beyond awards.

Congrats to all the winners, all the noms and all the volunteers who put in so much hard work to make the awards happen! =D= [:D] @};-

15. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Apparently, Targeter hasn't learned her lesson yet and is willing to host Saga again in the Winter or else, Before. Some one needs to knock some sense into her brain.

As for the length of the awards, I know that in Saga, what we tried to do was fairly simple. We'd post the noms and then a commerical and then the winner and then, most of the time, another commercial. We tried to post about every 3 minutes for to have about 8 posters inbetween each of our posts. Yes, that did end up taking a longer time than we would've liked, but a) we had some great entertainment, and b) people seemed to enjoy it. The only other option would be to start the awards earlier on in the day. However, I don't really see there being any reasonable way to cut down the time, and still have all the fun stuff we did.

And as a host this year and a volunteer from last awards, I also found it easier to have a central place to keep track of everything where all the volunteers, hosts, and mods could check in on everything.

16. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Just a note, I'm willing to help out with the awards again. Not hosting for me though, I'm not that crazy... yet. ;)

17. JediJainaSoloFel

JediJainaSoloFel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2004
    I agree that the Saga Awards did tend towards being on the longer side, but I'm glad that people enjoyed the entertainment. We had a lot of really creative people do a lot of great ads and song parodies (another THANK YOU to those people. And all the volunteers). I went back and looked at the Saga sock's post history to see if anything could be accounted for as contributing to the longness (besides the massive amount of entertainment). I did notice that there was a lot of chatter in the Saga thread (not that it was a bad thing, just an observation), A LOT of entertainment (which was ALL hysterical) and also that somewhere in the middle of the thread, we were off our game and sometimes it was 5-7 minutes between posts. What I suggest to the hosts for the next awards is really keep track of the time. Really, look at your clock and make sure you aren't waiting too long and that you don't get disracted. It's so easy to do. So my biggest advice for the next hosts is watch the clock.

Also, organization is key! We had the entire Saga ceremony done out post for post (that includes all the extra dialogue) the day before it actually happened so all we had to do on Friday was copy and paste. It really helped things to run smoothly (with a few exceptions).

Also, another thing I would like to add is that when you are voting PLEASE make sure you read the rules before submitting your votes. It was really sad when we couldn't count votes because a person voted for themselves or when they sent their votes in multiple PMs. My advice would be that if you think a rule is unclear to PM the hosts before you send in your ballot, because once the ballot is sent, there is really nothing we can do.

I will post more later if I think of anything else.

18. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I think the co-hosting was a great option personally. In fact, I wish that it had always been done that way. I found working on Saga alone last winter an enormous challenge, and it wouldn't have looked so formidable of a task if I had had a collaborator. I also think that having a central place for all the awards volunteers and hosts to post messages to and such was a brillant idea and I wish we had had that as well :)

I'm willing to host in the Winter awards -- preferably the Before the Saga forum this time :p

19. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    Is there a like index list of all the winners of all the awards.

20. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    You and me, Lauren. We'd be great!

And you can help me get straight on some of the characters/places/events/just about every darned thing...

21. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    I've read through all three ceremonies (as well as attended them for a while) and Beyond the Saga was both the longest in pages and the wildest. Then again, we played "Win-a-Date" and had some centuars in... and I actively participated in that one, so that might be why...

22. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Sorry, Jon, but Lt. Jaina Solo already claimed me :p

23. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    One suggestion. When deciding on hosts maybe have everyone interested PM a mod. The mods then discuss and decide on hosts before announcing it? This would give everyone interested a fair shot. The hosts did a wonderful job, it just seemed like there was no forum for everyone interested to get their names considered. Or I could be wrong. :p

24. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    How? I already said I was hosting in Before. You expressed interest, so unless there will be three hosts, it's you and me.

25. JediJainaSoloFel

JediJainaSoloFel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2004
    There should be one available in the first post of each awards ceremony.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.