main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Awards 2005 Summer Post-Awards Discussion

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by JadeSolo, Aug 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJainaSoloFel

JediJainaSoloFel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2004
    I was the one who mentioned chatter (well, others probably did too but I'm going to take credit for it). Like I said, it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. OPPM was also a problem.

2. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    I asked about that this time around, and was told it was not possible to VIP the awards socks. I hope the Mods can ask again for the next time, because it would greatly cut down on the duration of the ceremonies and posting of excerpts.

Could we have more socks? Two per era, one for entertainment, one for annoucements? You could defeat OPPM and go twice as fast that way...

I usually vote by reading the excerpts, and then thinking is there one that really stands out as really, really good rep of that category? If not, I make a list of the ones I really like, then pick a random number in my head, and go to that page of each fic and read the first scene that comes up. Yep, it's random, convoluted, and I could never go through every category or even go beyond Saga voting, but I can't quite figure out how to vote otherwise since I usually don't know the nommed fics that well.

3. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    The way I vote is more or less what VaderLVR does - when nomming, if the fics I love are already in the clear, I push over other fics that need one or two more noms. When I vote, I read all the excerpts, even if they're from stories I'm already following. When I step back and compare just the excerpts, I find that the fairest way to vote. So sometimes I end up not voting for stories I've been following. Secret's out! :p

I'd rather have Best New Author and Best Author separate. Maybe change Best Author to Best Oldbie Author? Oldbie basically being anyone not eligible for New Author. Just to widen the field. :)

Sticky thread for all the rules and dates and whatnot - I'm sure we can handle that, since by the next awards, we should all have stickying powers. :p If we use that, along with an Executive Producer for the awards - if that person's not a mod, perhaps that can be the person who PMs us with updates for the sticky? That way we know the info's been cleared with the rest of the hosts, and no confusion.

4. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002

Sticky thread for all the rules and dates and whatnot - I'm sure we can handle that, since by the next awards, we should all have stickying powers. tongue If we use that, along with an Executive Producer for the awards - if that person's not a mod, perhaps that can be the person who PMs us with updates for the sticky? That way we know the info's been cleared with the rest of the hosts, and no confusion.

That sounds like a good idea, Jade. :)

5. JediMasterRev

JediMasterRev Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2004
    I'd rather have Best New Author and Best Author separate. Maybe change Best Author to Best Oldbie Author? Oldbie basically being anyone not eligible for New Author. Just to widen the field

I think Jade has a great idea there. Like the Oscars have a lifetime achievement award, maybe their could be a similiar award that people who've won Best Author are only eligible for. Kind of a reward for years of hard work and inspiration :). Just a thought :)

6. MiaTiska

MiaTiska Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2005
    bobill: Could we have more socks? Two per era, one for entertainment, one for annoucements? You could defeat OPPM and go twice as fast that way...

More socks? To me that seems too complicated, unless the one for entertainment was created just before the awards so people don't get mixed up and start sending noms or votes to the entertainment sock. But really, the OPPM could be defeated by making the Award socks as VIP's.

I do noms the same way as VaderLVR and Jade. When voting I try to read the excerpts but I usually forget until the last minute so I don't have any time. That's why I think we should make the excerpts around 300 or 400 words. I know it's hard already to pick excerpts, but if they were half as short there'd be an actual chance I'd have time to read them, and looking at the thread of excerpts and sooo much text wouldn't be quite so daunting. :)

And yay, a sticky with links to all award-related threads. :) And I know there was something else I wanted to say but it's gone now. I'll hate it if it comes to me right after I click post... :oops:

-Mia

7. JediJainaSoloFel

JediJainaSoloFel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2004
    Okay I thought of something else I wanted to add from a host/volunteer's POV. I also want to add as a disclaimer that I can only speak to the orginization of the Saga ceremony as I wasn't part of the group that organized Before or Beyond.

Hosting awards is A LOT of work. If I add up all of the time I spent working on these awards, I'm thinking it ends up being somewhere in the vicinity of 72 hours, possibly more. They were hours that I had nothing better to do with, so it was fine for me. I had A LOT of extra time on my hands. However, if anyone is even considering hosting next time I want to emphasize how important it is that you actually have the time and willingness to complete the task. The awards are a commitment, a really really big one. The winter ones are going to be different because a lot of people are going to be in school when they happen. I know that I was simultaneously writing a paper and trying to keep up with the winners during the 2004 WFFA. Noms and whatnot for those awards were taking place while I was studying for finals. While I love helping out with the awards in the summer, I know that there is NO WAY that I could help with them during the Winter. So before you volunteer to host, or just volunteer, make sure that you really have the time to commit to it.

Also, I didn't let the work pile up. I had A LOT of time to work on awards this summer and I probably spent 3 to 4 hours a day working on awards stuff. In the end, it allowed us to have a very smoothe awards ceremony in Saga and it cut a lot of unnecessary stress. We also had a great system in Saga for counting votes which allowed us to speed up the counting process and allowed for very little error. Even better, if we did find an error, it was very simple to identify where it was coming from.

I also tend to be a bit obsessive in the way that I cannot stand to see a job go unfinished. While I was a volunteer, I was physically incapable of logging on to the awards sock, seeing noms or questions sitting there, and not doing anything about them (much in the same way that once I moved into my dorm room this year, I didn't stop unpacking until I was all the way done). This minimalized build-up and I think was very effective.

And if I may make a totally biased statement, I think we had the most AMAZING volunteers ever in The Saga.

Also, just to speak about the voting thing, this is the response we gave to people who asked us how exactly they should go about formatting their ballot:

Step 1: Copy and paste the qualifying list onto your PM

Step 2: Delete the names of the stories and/or the categories that you are NOT voting for.

Step 3: Make sure that there is only one vote per category and that you did not vote for yourself

Step 4: PM the awards sock your votes.

I think this is the most simple way to go about voting. If anyone has any better ideas, please feel free to post them.

P.S. More socks=more headaches.

sticky with rules and dates=Awesome Idea!

8. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    I mean absolutely no disrespect to the hosts and volunteers, who worked very hard and did their best, but the fact that they were working well into the early morning hours is pretty appalling. I know there's no way to put this show on at a time when everybody is working in daylight, but careful consideration needs to be given to choosing the BEST POSSIBLE time for the largest cross-section of board-users. I am not totally convinced that we've found that "best time" yet, particularly since these are international boards.

No disrespect taken, ojn. Not at all. Yes, it was apalling that it went on so long. As many can tell you, it is not uncommon for me to be up very late- till 2-4 am even. And so when the Awards were announced to be held at 3pm (midnight, my time), I figured that I could manage it.

I was wrong. TKL mentioned how unorganized we were and how unplanned it was. All right, I admit that. I wish I was there. But I didn't know until mere weeks ago that I would basically have no access after 9:30 pm (12:30 pm board time) and that the filter in the library would block the Awards site. I carry my laptop with me pretty much everywhere and lately it's bee almost funny how I look, wandering around with an open laptop, trying to find a WLAN connection I can get on, so I could visit the Awards site.

But really, there was nothing I could do about it. It was an unlucky coincidence. And it shouldn't happen again. As for the time difference- what should we have done? I couldn't have done it earlier that day- I had a church service I had to perform at for 1000 people. What am I supposed to do- say 'sorry, I know that there are all these people from South America here to watch us perform, but the Fan Fic Awards come first'?

I do suggest next time starting them earlier and also speeding them up. I know that the Awards are supposed to be fun and part of that fun is posting between the noms and winners, jesting and congratulating. But I don't know...Perhaps after the noms are posted, there should be no other posting in the thread, until the winners are up?

Another thing TKL mentioned was what I brought up- and how it was discussed a year and a half ago. I know that. I read the thread. I actually went and read all the Awards threads I could find, trying to make sure that everything went smoothly. I almost didn't bring it up, but I got convinced over the phone to mention it.

But whatever, I highly doubted it would happen anyway. Just thought I would throw it into the discussion incase.

As for voting- Well, didn't get the chance to vote. But I planned on doing it like VaderLVR mentioned and that's how I did the noms. And I understand the point of excerpts and am very pleased that people actually read them. I just got the feeling that many didn't, but if so many really did, then good.

Impartial judges, from other forums or whatever- that would be an interesting idea. Don't expect ot to happen, but it would be nice. Sort of like in the Gentelmen's Writing Guild- they have challenges and then the ladies who did not compete vote for the winner. If we could have a pannel of judges or something, who weren't up for any Awards or just sat out, then I think it might go a bit better.

Mia, while I understand your idea of making shorter excerpts- it would be impossible. Try making a 400 word excerpt from a 4000 page chapter. It just can't be done. 900 was bad enough, 800 was near impossible. To cut the value in half...

9. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    My two cents from a former hostess's perspective.

On sticky notes -- that would be a very valuable asset. Before the Saga doesn't have half the traffic that Saga and Beyond and so when the hosts didn't provide a daily up, I couldn't find the thread half the time.

From an insider's perspective, it seems as though some of the hosts are almost wary and unwilling to use volunteers. My advice -- DON"T BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP. If you try to do everything yourself, you're going to be exhausted, you're not going to have any fun and the awards ceremony will suffer.

YES the awards take time. I devoted at least 50 hours to the awards ceremony, if not more, last winter. Between vote counting, nomination counting, the actual ceremony and setting up the thread, etc. The awards take up A LOT of time.

PLEASE don't get rid of the excerpts! They do mean a lot of extra work, but I admit, I really enjoy reading them. In fact, putting up the excerpts took longer than it should because when people PM'ed them to me, instead of just copy/pasting and handing them off to my expert coder, I found myself reading them :p I found a lot of good stories that way, that I didn't know were out there.

I think having an executive producer is a fabulous idea -- but I'm a little hesistant on it also. Moderators already have enough work on their plates without adding that to it, so I would suggest that folks pm a mod if they're interested in the job.

On voting -- you can't force people to vote. I see nothing wrong with posting a link to the FFR Awards thread and reminding people to vote, however, blunt campaining "GO here and vote for me," is bad etiquette.

As far as eligibility goes -- please don't restrict things any more than they have been already. I think a Best Oldbie Author award, seperate from Best Author is a good idea. Say Author A has won Best Author but they leave the boards for a period of a few years and then return. Their writing style could be drastically different, it's a whole new playing field, because the face of the boards changes -- new people come and old ones leave. I don't really think it's fair to say that they couldn't win Best Author again under those circumstances. I think that Best Author's should be eligible to win again after a period of say three years or so.

Anyway, That's my two cents and I'm sure I've forgotten something and will come back to edit later :p

Edit -- Yep forgot a few things :p

Please no socks! It was hard enough to keep track of the one sock that I had. It won't do anything but confuse the hosts if two people do it. But I DO think that VIPship for said sock is a really good idea, just to make them easier to see.

When I ran the Saga awards, I made certain to have my nominations and my votes ready ahead of time. I went ahead and browsed the boards to see what fics I wanted to nominate Before nominations could be sent in, that way all I would have to do would be to copy/paste and send in my votes when the time actually came. There's no excuse not to vote if you're a host. You know ahead of time that you're *going* to host. Why not make it simpler on yourself and just get things ready early?

I don't think there's anything we can do about making the ceremonies shorter, other than having fewer categories. The fun, the entertainment, the chatter -- it's part of what makes the awards fun. If we cut all that out to make them shorter, what's the point of having them? It's hard to pace, I realize this, especially if you're not a regular poster in the forum you host in. When I hosted the Beyond ceremony at the last minute, last winter, I had a lot of trouble pacing the ceremony and figuring out how fast/slow I should post. It took about three hours when I did the Saga ceremony and then three hours for Beyond. Three hours isn't bad at all. The real Oscars take even more time :p

I am very much AGAINST having the all three forums in one ceremony. I think there's nothing wrong with the way we do things already.

On excerpts -- we understand that it takes time to

10. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    On voting -- you can't force people to vote. I see nothing wrong with posting a link to the FFR Awards thread and reminding people to vote, however, blunt campaining "GO here and vote for me," is bad etiquette.

I agree. And if you've been campaigning, how do you know if people really think your fic is worthy?

11. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    What happenes to the person who's writing an epic? Or someone with a series? Are those categories tossed out because they aren't complete?
    Stories in a series could be considered completed when finished even if the series is not. Epics would not be "tossed out" either, just delayed until completed.

I've seen stories that are only half finished that are much better written than many complete fics. Why penalize them for not being done in order for a less deserving story to win?
    Is delaying their eligibility until completed penalizing them? IMO finished stories having to compete with unfinished works penalizes authors who have completed their stories. I'm not saying that unfinished works are not well written nor am I saying that their authors are undeserving of praise. I'm simply saying that IMO it is inappropriate to award an unfinished work before it is completed.

And how many fics are completed in a 6 month period or less?
    A lot.

If there is a really good action scene in that fic in Summer 2005 but it isn't completed until Summer 2006, it is that much more likely to be forgotten.
    All stories run the risk of being forgotten. If unfinished works are so well written and deserving of accolades then they are no more likely to be forgotten than any other.

12. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Maybe Entertainment is dedicated to one or two people and given their own socks?

13. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    Vongy did most of the entertainment in Beyond, but Gina posted it with the sock during the Awards. The plan was to put up the Nominees, wait a about a minute or two- put up the Winner, wait a few minutes, put up the Entertainment and then repeat. Except that it didn't happen that way...

Back when I volunteered to host, I had no idea that everything would start to fall apart on me in Real Life. Which is partly my fault. On the other hand, I didn't think that it would end up being so bad...

Someone asked why we had to recount all the noms in Beyond. We realized that some noms were 'missing'. It turns out that some PMs were opened, but never counted, for some reason. Because of this, the noms were all wrong and the volunteers went back and recounted them ALL. A tremendous amount of work and I am still amazed that they did it all. For voting, we definitely learned our lesson and there were no problems at all.

More socks= More confusion. But if the socks could be given VIP status, it would be wonderful.

I agree. And if you've been campaigning, how do you know if people really think your fic is worthy?

Exactly my problem with campaigning.

There is a difference between posting 'Remember- the Fan Fic Awards are going to be starting soon, so make sure to do your noms' than 'The Awards are soon, vote for me!' and other variations.

One of the winners who won a lot admitted in this thread that they campaigned. I must say because of that, I'm more inclined to think less of the author and the Awards as a whole, than to be thrilled.

*sigh* To tell the truth, I don't think the Awards will ever be perfect. But they are fun and they really don't mean anything, so I don't think it matters all that much.

14. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    Regarding the issue of whether or not to have excerpts, it seems ultimately it should be up to the organizers whether they wish to subject themselves to that. That said, to get the best of both worlds perhaps we could have links in the awards information thread and ask the qualified nominees to edit the first post of their nominated story to include the excerpt.

15. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005

I should qualify that I consistently said something to the effect of: "If you think I'm worthy" or some such nonsense--not that it matters. I've been on the boards a grand total of 2 months now (I still don't really know what a 'sock' is). When I "campained" I did so without understanding how this whole Awards thing worked or was supposed to work. No one PMd me and said what was and was not cool. No one complained to me or a Mod. I asked my readers about noms after somebody else told me about the whole Awards thing and that they had nominated me for various areas. I thought it was cool. I thought it would get more people to read the story, which is the only reward I was interested in--that people who read it like it.

I raised my hand to point out that people are people and make mistakes. We don't bash them over the head--virtually or literally for making mistakes. We pull them aside, and make sure they understand where they went wrong (i.e. we send them a PM) and give them a chance to fix it.

I've been reading this thread a lot and most of the comments are constructive and intended to make the process better. But there's also an undercurrent of tension to the words regarding winning and losing. I was never interested in winning these awards. I still am not. You'll never see anything related to these awards in my profile. I'm happy for the readers of my story that got a chance to vote for it. I am flattered beyond words. But, at the end of the day--it doesn't matter. I'm still going to sleep every night in the same bed. Tomorrow, I'm going to get up and write the rest of my fic. We are all going to do whatever we were going to do because this website is but a small part of our lives--as it should be. I'd hand back the awards except there's nothing to hand back. For all I know, there were 5 voters total and two of them voted for my story and the other 3 got split among stories much better than mine. Who knows? (well..somebody knows...but I don't).

It's been mentioned that every awards a new writer shows up and sweeps the awards. Did anybody consider that maybe they didn't know they shouldn't be campaining and did it inadvertently? (VaderLVR would never need to campain, though--she just plain rocks!!) I'm sure that's not the case, but how do you know?

You want to prevent campaining? Tell people it shouldn't be done. Put it in the awards thread along with the big red letters that say you can't vote for yourself--there's my recommendation.

I guess it just seems to me that there are nicer ways to treat fellow writers and fellow fans

16. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    WIPs ineligibility

Raven recently suggested having awards for classic stories. Stories that are at least a year old would be eligible, and the categories would be similar. There would also be a Best of [Insert Year Here] awards.

And then for these particular awards, the same rules would apply regarding winning and eligibility for the next awards. Or if you wanted to tweak the rules more, if anyone has any suggestions.

I personally think the success of Classic Awards would depend at least somewhat on whether or not WIPs are eligible for the regular awards. If WIPs aren't eligible, then there would be no point in having Classic Awards, at least not with so many specific categories. Because you run the risk of the same stories winning the Classic Awards a year after they won in the regular awards. Unless you have a rule that says, if you won in the regulars, you can't win in the Classics. I'm sure no one wants that. :p

Or, if we say only WIPs are eligible for the regular awards? Just throwing out ideas here. :)

edit: With the exception of things like vigs, of course. Obviously the idea needs more thinking. [face_blush]

17. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    There's no way we should just limit the awards to finished fics. the vast majority would be ineligible.

18. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I can understand the reasoning behind limiting it to completed fics, but I don't think it is a very practical solution. I know several stories that have stretched out over years! And once they have a won a prize in a category they aren't eligible for that prize again, so who does it harm?

If readers are impressed enough by an unfinished story to nominate it, I say let it stand! Although I believe there is some merit in limiting the series award to a series that includes at least TWO completed stories. I mentioned that last awards.

19. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    does classic awards refer to the classic board? For an example, my only story still WIP on the classic stories board hasn't been abandoned, I just plan to repost it to Beyond. I wouldn't be eligible anyway as I haven't posted on it for more than a year. [face_blush] There'd have to be some sort of elgibility rules, of course.

20. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I can't understand the reasoning, VaderLVR. It makes no sense to me. A lot of fics would become ineligible for a long time. It'd be limited to vignettes mostly and the odd completed one.

21. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    Someone may have suggested this already, but I didn't see it.
    A compromise would be to create a category for "Best Completed Extended Story". It'd be a small pool, but it would be a nod to the folks who have written an large arc and seen it through to its' conclusion, but the WIP's wouldn't be excluded from the awards. Vigs would also be unchanged. We would simply have to set a measure for what extended means, either word count or number of posts I suppose.

22. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Yeah, I could see where we could just put in another category, for completed epics (and then keep the epic-lenght unfinished category). I think it's a good idea to reward writers who do take effort to finish epics. The only problem would be that it might make the awards too long still...

23. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    I'm sorry Souderwan, if I came off to harsh. It wasn't my intent.

And I agree- it should be announced in BIG RED LETTERS that campaigning is not allowed. At the moment, there's not really a rule about it. But I think we should make one. I understand if you wrote 'vote for me if you think the fic is worth it', but that still is campaigning.

I also agree that a category for best completed epic should be made (epic= 25,000 words or more). That isn't a lot, only about 45-50 pages in Word. And I think most fics get to be about that anyway.

As for the length of the ceremony... this will probably sound lame, but what about splitting the Awards into two? Do them quarterly, but have for instance, Best AU- Best Epic in June and Best Character-Best Collab in September or something? Have the same hosts do both, but let them have some rest inbetween.

Though that would be hard to pull off... And still take awhile and probably be even more work.

I'm interested in hearing more of a Best Classic Award, by the way. Raven has an interesting idea...

24. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    I read Souderwan's post yesterday, and then wavered on the need to say something. As I feel his pain, I just can't not.

First off, I'd like to say to Souderwan that I thnk he has been a gracious and deserving winner throughout the awards. It is unfortunate that wins have to become such a painful thing for people, but it seems that happens almost every year. Years back I went from the amazing high of winning to feeling like I wanted to never come back to the boards simply because I was an excited newbie unaware of the "ways" of these boards.

On the etiquette thread there has been quite a bit of discussion about how to act. Sure people should probably not put "Vote for me!" in their sig lines, but there was also a discussion on remembering there are people on the other end of those screennames - and that goes for the winners as well as the losers. In life, we need to practice grace in winning and losing.

It's sad, in my mind, that every awards someone has to get the wind knocked right out of their sails for winning. The truth is NO ONE can make anyone vote other than how they want. NO SINGLE AUTHOR can compel their readers to vote for them. We all have freedom of choice and the right to make up our own mind. There is no Will guiding our fingers over the keys to make AuthorB the winner.

In my estimation, what Souderwan did was far less grievous than many other things that have happened on these boards. He was a new writer, who had gotten nominated in some categories and needed one more nom to get through. What he did was not campaigning. According to dictionary.com, a campaign is an operation or series of operations energetically pursued to accomplish a purpose. He did not energetically pursue wins; he was simply excited to have a shot at.

More so I am troubled that, for someone like Alethia, who repeatedly says the awards are no big deal, his enthusiasm over recognition by his peers was such a big deal. It's a terrible thing to feel like you need to give back awards because people want to tarnish them, for no apparent reason. I feel ver sorry for Souderwan because in a way the awards have become a very negative experience for him - and he won.

Alethia: And I agree- it should be announced in BIG RED LETTERS that campaigning is not allowed. At the moment, there's not really a rule about it. But I think we should make one. I understand if you wrote 'vote for me if you think the fic is worth it', but that still is campaigning.

Really, where do you draw the line? If perhaps a group of fans are rallying off site and collectively deciding who to vote for, then maybe there is a problem. But honestly, for every time someone has cried foul in the awards I have yet to see it. If the awards aren't a big deal, what does it matter? Truly your mindset prior to and after the awards has been troubling.

25. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    I volunteered for the awards in summer 2004, and I remember how much work it was! Unfortunately, DRL has kept me from volunteering any more, but hopefully that will change sometime in the future and I'll be able to help out again. I don't think I'd ever want to host...I'm way too disorganized in my own life to try and do something as big as this. :p

So, on top of everyone else's, I say a big hearty THANKS to everyone who gave their time and effort to this.

About the length of the ceremonies, how about this? Don't do ANY entertainment during the Awards thread itself. I noticed that each saga had an After Party this time...why not just put the entertainment in there? And if people don't want to stay up for it, then they can always go back and check in on it the next day. Let's face it, the people who are nominated really want to know if they won or not, I'm sure they wouldn't mind if the entertainment was put off until later! And sometimes, the chatter between the Awards is entertainment in itself. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.