main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2007 ATP Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by rechedelphar, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
  2. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Anakin_Heartbreaker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Gasquet wins his match against Fognini in just 41 minutes, 6-0, 6-1, in Mumbai. Must be one of the fastest completed matches ever. :cool:

3. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Do you know anything about the deal with elseneer and Norman and the fixed matches

4. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    I know that there has been a lot of talk about fixing matches and bribing. Tim Henman warned the authorties to be vigilent about the gambling taking place on matches.

Djokovic confessed a few days back that he was offered $100,000 to lose a match in St. Petersberg. But he flatly refused.

There was also talk about what happened with Davydenko in Washington. He withdrew after winning the first set and citing an injury. Exactly what many people had put money on.

On a side note, to add to the long line of pull outs from events, Federer has pulled out of next week's defense of his Toyko title. He now won't be playing until he defends his Masters Series title in Madrid on October 15.

5. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Tursonov wins in Bangkok, while Gasquet takes the title in Mumbai without losing a set! :D

6. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Ferrer improves his chances of qualifying for the Masters Cup in Shanghai, defeating Gasquet for the Tokyo championship, and his second hard court title after Auckland, this season. :)

7. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Ferrer pulls out of Stockholm with a stretched hamstring.

Davydenko begins the defense of his Moscow title, defeating Tsonga in straight sets.

And Djokovic returns back in Vienna after the US Open, and wins in straights against Ginepri.

An exciting week of tennis, as three tournaments are taking place, with all eyes on Madrid next week. I'm going to try to catch a bit of the tennis in Madrid before I fly back to Miami. :)

8. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Djokovic continues his great form, winning the title in Vienna. The fifth title of the season, and seventh of his career.

Madrid just gets more interesting. :)

9. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Davydenko secures a spot in Shanghai masters

10. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Yes, after defending his title in Moscow, his place was set in stone.

I think, unless sometime completely outrageous happens, Roddick and the in form Ferrer have all but confirmed their spots too.

And Federer makes his return to circuit, with the best match of the tournament so far, 7-6 6-4 over Ginepri.

I always get excited when a Master Series happens, because the its the best V the best. Federer and Canas could be next, if he gets past Calleri.

Nadal V Murray looks like it could happen. It should be interesting to see how well Nadal has recovered after the physical brutality of his fourth round loss to Ferrer at the US Open a few weeks back.

And Djokovic looks to carry his match winning form from Vienna to Madrid.

Great week of tennis ahead! :D

11. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Federer V Canas is now set for the third round! After what happened in Indian Wells and Miami, this should be explosive! :D

Djokovic, Nalbandian and Ferrero also winners.

12. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    I see Federer winning that, bceause Canas hasn't been in from as of late

13. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Federer destroyed Canas 6-0 6-3 in less than an hour!!! He was no mood to take things easy. He was out to make a statement, that he is the best in the world, and Canas got burned.

Watching the match between Nadal and Murray right now. Pulsating tennis!!!! :D

14. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Nalbandian causes one of the upsets of the year, in his first match ever against Nadal. 6-1, 6-2 in just over an hour.

He goes through to play Djokovic, who had a tough encounter against Ancic.

Federer wins in straights against Lopez. Waiting for the winner of Gonzalez and Kiefer.

15. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Federer V Nalbandian is now set. Both look in great form, but the signs are there for Roger to walk out with this 15th Masters Series shield on Sunday.

Federer and Nalbandian have a very historic rivalry. At one point, David led the head to head 5-0. But now it is 8-6 in Roger's favor, who also won the last four times they played, inlcuding last years semi final in Madrid.

Should be a good match! :)

16. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Nalbandian wins the Madrid Masters 1-6, 6-3, 6-3 against Federer. It is his first ever Master Series shield, and one that he truly deserves. He was out on his feet in the third round against Berdych, a set down and 4-0 down in the second. Since then he has really been on fire, taking out the world number one, two and three in succession.

Great to see him in the winner's circle again. His last title was in Estoril 2006. :)

17. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Federer is now a virtual lock to end the year number one. Four straight years at number one. :D

18. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    can't wait for Paris, but there is some good action this week as well

19. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Just to make it official.

Federer wins the race for the fourth straight year. Ending the year as the reigning number one player in world. It has been a tougher road for him this year, but he has managed to defend this spot.

Paris does look good!!!! I can't wait to see the battles of this one, as it all leads to Shanghai. And the final spots will be anounced this week! :D

20. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Federer V Nalbandian is happening again. This should be interesting on Federer comes into this match. He lost in Madrid two weeks ago to David, and then bounced back winning the race for the fourth straight year, and the Basel title for the second straight year.

Robredo is making his chances better and better for a place in the elite eight for Shanghai. He just eliminated Canas in two tough sets.

Murray against Santoro coming up too!

Can't wait!!!!! :D

21. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Nalbandian defeats Federer in straight sets at the Paris Masters in a thrilling encounter. I was literally on the edge of my seat and I think I said 'WHOA' at least a dozen times, because some of the shot making was breathtaking. Federer praised Nalbandian's doublehanded backhand after the match.

Looking forward to Murray V Gasquet later on today, should be a thriller, if both players come to play.

At the moment, the way that is stands for Shanghai, here are the players that have qualified.

1. Federer - Wins the race and will end the year world number one for the fourth straight year.
    2. Nadal - Will end the year at the number two player for the third straight year, after Djokovic lost early to Santoro.
    3. Djokovic - Will end the year as the number three player in his break through year.
    4. Davydenko - Lost early in the defense of his Paris Masters title, but looking to finish in fourth place.
    5. Roddick - Likely will finish in fifth unless he can win the title in Shanghai.
    6. Ferrer - Exceptional year, locking the sisxth spot.

That leaves two spots that need to be decided. At the moment, it looks like this.

7. Gonzalez - Should at least take one of the remaining two spots unless Youzhny wins the tournament by defeating either Murray or Gasquet in the final.
    8. Robredo - Likely now to lose his spot aftre losing to Baghdatis in the first of the quarter finals played today.

Still in contention are Gasquet, Murray, Youzhny.

The final spots will become alot clearer after the final has been set. :)

I'll update when I have the information. :D

22. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Shocking result, Nalbandian has really pulled it together as of late following some collapses in grand slams this year.

23. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Nalbandian has always been a force on the indoor courts, but you're right but the incredible form he has recently shown after some bad results at the Slams.

Well, it is confirmed for Shanghai.

At number 7 is Gonzalez.

At number 8 is Gasquet.

The final for the Paris masters has been set for Nalbandian V Nadal. Should be a thriller! :D

I'll try to put together a profile of what the eight players heading into this years season ending finale have done this year, once the final of Paris is complete.

24. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Nalbandian defeats Nadal 6-4, 6-0 for his first title in Paris. This was the first time that Rafael has lost in the French capital in 26 matches, which includes his three straight titles at Roland Garros.

There were some points that had my jaw dropping to the floor!!!! :eek: I couldn't believe the insane angles and shotmaking that David put on display, and Nadal had no reply.

I am so pleased to see Nalbandian where he belongs. It's been a long road, but he is finally get the results that his talent demands. =D=

He will be ranked number nine when the new rankings come out on Monday, and will be the first alternate for Shanghai. There may even be a chance that he will play, with the question marks over Roddick playing.

It all starts next week!!!!!! [face_dancing] The grand finale to another spectacular year of tennis, and I'll be putting a preview of all the contenders very soon! :D

25. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    im not sure how they will do the groups but I want to see Nadal play Roddick, that would be interesting match

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.