main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC 2007 Conventions?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Skywalker2B, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    All,

Unfortunately, I will net be able to make it to Celebration 4 in LA next year even though I told my kids earlier this year that we would (planning a family vacation to Disney late next year). So, what I told them we'd do is go to a big convention that will have SW stuff (where there will be people in costume) somewhere closer to us (i.e. we can drive there). So, my question to you is...does anyone know of any big conventions going on next year that will be celebrating the 30th Anniverary near us?

2. PlayzOboe

PlayzOboe Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2005
    Uhm don't think any conventions in the area are specifically celebrating the 30th anniversary of SW, however there ARE conventions in the DC/Baltimore area....Farpoint and Shore Leave generally being the biggest ones and Balticon.

'Sarah

3. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    Wizard World Philadelphia might be the best bet for kids to be honest. Sure it's a 3 hour drive but there is lots to do, tons of freebies and the local 501st is always there in a big way.

If you wanted to get a hotel, there are plenty of hotels nearby including one just across the street.

It will be in early June in 2007 and the ticket prices are fair, plus kids get in for free.

I am a parent myself and I take my own child to this con. ;)

4. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    The Wizard World one sounds good. Thanks for the info. I think I'll also check out the Balticon...that's sort of like a comic con, correct? The kids would love to see the superheros stuff too.

5. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    They have superheros at Wizard World since it is first a comic book/rpg/muliti-media con then anything else.

Here are some photo albums from this year's Wizard World Philadelphia:

WW Philly 2005

More WW Philly 2005

Even more WW Philly 2005

I swear Batman, Spiderman and Superman were there as well but none of the troopers got photos of them. [face_laugh]

Here is the link for the official site: Wizard World Philly

6. Darth_Twilight

Darth_Twilight Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 14, 2005
    I don't really remember seeing superheros at Balticon. But then I've not been for a number of years. It is, however, a literary/fantasy con so if you're interested in books and authors its a good place to go.

From what I hear, Otakon is the place to go for superhero and anime costumes. It just happened so look for it next August. I know I plan on going. HOpefully I'll have a appropriate costume for that one.

Good luck!

7. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    I think the focus of Otakon is more Anime then anything else...

but I do plan to hit it next year and boy oh boy no one will guess my costume for it ever!!! [face_devil]

8. Midi-ChlorianLori

Midi-ChlorianLori Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2003
    If you want to give your kids a local Star Wars fix earlier than next year, bring them out to the Annandale Fall Festival Parade in Annandale, VA. Garrison Tyranus of the 501st will be marching, and Galactic Senate, Rebel Legion, and the R2-D2 Builders Group are all invited to march with us. I'm talking with one of the R2-D2 Builders guys and we may even have a working R2 unit with us this year- how cool is that? Anyway, it's on 10/28 and details are on the Annandale Parade thread on this board- you can come to march in Star Wars costumes (kids are welcome to join us for this one- we throw candy to kids along the parade route) or in t-shirts, or bring the kids to watch the parade and cheer us on.

As far as local conventions, Shore Leave and Farpoint up in Hunt Valley, MD are both pretty good conventions for taking kids to see costumed characters. We usually get Stormtroopers- at least a few, sometimes a lot. There are also many other types of costumes who show up, including superhero costumes, and science fiction and fantasy costumes. The type of costumes you'll see will vary widely depending on what people are in the mood for that year. Panels tend to focus on science fiction and fantasy television shows, with gaming rooms and more serious tracks on writing and science available. The highlight of the two conventions, in my opinion, is the Masquerade competition held on Saturday night, when everyone brings out their most spectacular costumes and many costumers come up with creative and funny skits to present them- definitely an event that the kids will enjoy, and I have taken my kids there frequently. I have taken my kids, aged 9 and 11, to Shore Leave and Farpoint, and both kids willingly want to return-always a good sign. Here are links to the con websites:

Farpoint: http://www.bcpl.net/~wilsonr/flier.html
    Shore Leave: http://www.shore-leave.com/

Balticon is a more literary-based con and panels tend to focus on presentations by authors of science fiction works. I haven't made it up there yet, but they reportedly have an excellent masquerade competition as well.

Balticon: http://www.balticon.org

Of course, the big East Coast science fiction convention blow-out we all anticipate is DragonCon, but it would be a bit overwhelming for kids under the age of about 13-14 in my opinion. DragonCon is basically Mardi Gras for science fiction geeks. It tends to have some of the best Star Wars programming you'll find on the East Coast, with an entire Matters of the Force track that is excellent. However, the costumes you will see will tend to run on the risque side, to put it mildly, and kids are likely to see things you'd rather not have them see if they're walking around the hotel lobbies after 9 PM or so.

DragonCon: http://www.dragoncon.org

I hope that the information is helpful.

-Lori Frye
    Garrison Tyranus

9. LeiaAsylum

LeiaAsylum Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2003
    Snowtrooper? LOL

10. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    Thanks for the info. I'll definately look into some of these.

11. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    Nay, it won't be SW at all. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.