main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards 2007 Fan Fiction Awards - Volunteer Sign-ups (now closed)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by JadeSolo, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Greetings, all! Apologies for the tl, dr post below, but it all had to be said.

Yes, it's time for the Awards again. It's also time for You the User to have the opportunity of an e-lifetime! That's right, you could be a part of the amazing Awards staff!

Gosh, that sounds exciting! What would I be doing?

Well, Gentle User, we have several thrilling positions open.

Overseer = the Big Cheese. The Overseer is in charge of running the show, has primary say in host and volunteer selection, and generally coordinates all staff activities.

Be warned ? this position is not for the faint of heart. You're expected to make most of the decisions (rarely will the mods step in unless absolutely necessary). You need to be very very very organized to keep three hosts on the same page, not to mention all the volunteers in each era. You also have to keep the Entertainment host on your radar. Finally, be prepared to spend many hours doing recounts and double-checking everything. The Overseer makes all official announcements in Resource for things like scheduling and voting rules.

The Overseer's stories are not eligible for nominations in any era, and the Overseer cannot vote at all since s/he will have access to all voting information.

The Overseer should have prior experience working on the Awards or strong history of thread management (e.g. index, discussion thread, newsletters) with a good Awards familiarity.

Era Hosts = the Captains for Before, Saga, and Beyond. Similar to the Overseer position, but focused on a particular era. You'll work directly with your volunteers to tally noms, check story eligibility (meaning that the story has to meet requirements for a category, and cannot have won previously in that category), and keep users up-to-date on deadlines. You're also responsible for: making sure the list of nominated stories is updated regularly, keeping track of excerpt submissions, keeping track of absentee votes, and writing and posting the actual ceremony while updating the list of winners in the first post, to name a few. Recounts are optional but highly recommended. Delegate work as you see fit.

Hosts' stories are not eligible in the era for which they're volunteering. For instance, the Before host cannot have his/her stories in Before nominated for anything; the Saga and Beyond stories, however, are fair game. Similarly, hosts cannot vote in their own era, but can vote in the other two.

Hosts should have prior Awards experience or strong history of thread management (e.g. index, discussion thread, newsletters).

Volunteer staff = the Grunts. Your host will probably have a specific modus operandi for you to follow, but your tasks will include opening PMs and tracking noms, checking story eligibility, excerpt coding, to name a few.

Volunteers' stories are not eligible in the era for which they're volunteering. You can either pick an era where you don't have stories, or work in any era but remove your stories from any nominee lists.

Volunteers don't need any prior Awards experience. Willingness to stare at your computer for hours is a definite plus.

Entertainment Host = the Funny Person. Well, you don't have to be funny, just have a good idea of what kind of humor is tasteful for the boards. And when in doubt, ask the mods. Your job is to put out a call for all entertainment pieces to be posted during the ceremonies, collect submissions, edit for grammar and spelling, and pass them on to the hosts by the set deadline. You can speak with the Overseer and hosts on how best to do that.

You don't have to submit anything yourself, but it helps. It also helps to throw out suggestions for people who'd like to submit but don't have ideas.

Entertainment Host needs no prior Awards experience. History as a circus clown might help.

The Help Desk = people who understand the Awards and are willing to field questions like "How do I format this nominations template?" Depending on what

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I am interested in being an era host and/or volunteer, entertainment host or entertainment volunteer. I have worked for the last two years on the awards, have contributed to the entertainment many times and work well with others. It doesn't matter where I'm placed, but I'm eligible for awards in every era.

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I volunteer for Before Era host or volunteer. I've worked on the awards for the past three years and wish to contribute as much as possible.

Actually... i wouldn't mind doing the Before Awards by myself, with the exception of the entertainment.

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Not volunteering this time so I'm sorry to disrupt the thread a little . . .

If any of you are interested in being overseer and want to know in excruciating detail what that entails or have any questions whatsoever, please feel free to PM me :)

5. Luton_Plunder

Luton_Plunder Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 15, 2006
    Okay, I'm officially signing a stress warrant, but sign me up as a volunteer for either before or beyond [face_worried]

:p

I've got no experience but I know how to read, and to count, so I figure that counts for something.

6. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I'll be glad to volunteer for Before or Beyond, where ever the need is greater.

I'm pretty good with opening PM's :p, tracking noms, checking eligibility and coding so a grunt's position will work for me :)

7. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I would like to volunteer for Before. My only slight concern is that I'm going on vacation from the 15-25 this month, will that be a problem?

Edit: Or I wouldn't mind being the entertainment host if nobody else wants to. That sounds like something right up my alley.

8. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I would like to volunteer for wherever I'm needed, be it Overseer, hostess, help desk or general volunteer. I've got a really good knowledge of how things work in the awards programs having worked on every one since I've registered except for last summer since I had to pull out since I was recovering from an operation. I also have a strong history of thread management with indexing for over a year in Before the Saga and discussion threads. I've got no vacation plans whatsoever this summer so this seems like a good way to spend it :) I feel I should do more to give back to the community than simply hosting a game :p

9. Jturtle

Jturtle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I'd like to be a volunteer for whatever era though I'd prefer Beyond. I can do grunt work pretty easily so... Should be fun!:D

10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    NYCG told me I needed to put this in the thread if I wanted to be counted: I want to be OVerseer.

11. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Sure, I'll throw my hat into the ring. I'd be open to any of the positions available as long as it is not hosting Beyond, but everything else is good. I guess we're putting resumes in here, so I've hosted Saga and have donated entertainment pieces. Be aware: I will be out of town August 5-11. I could probably manage to check in at least once a day, but just wanted to let people know that before decisions are made.

12. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I'll volunteer for Help Desk. :)

13. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    I'll put my name in! Just put me wherever you need me. :p

14. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I'd so love to help. But you put the awards right on my holday, ergo the time I'm not likely to be online much. *bugger*:(

15. bi0nic

bi0nic Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    After enjoying the fruits of the volunteers' labours for the last awards, I feel I should pitch in this time around. Sign me up for Beyond grunt work please. :)

16. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I forgot to mention - include your vacation and away times as well, and thanks to those who already did that. :D Even if you're going to be gone for a spell, there's a good chance you'll get a job since the era schedules are staggered.

17. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Hmm... I am gonna be gone August 18-22. Should've put that up before. D'oh!

18. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    I'll volunteer for Before. :)

19. Darth_Manion

Darth_Manion Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 5, 2007
    Hmmm... I think I'd be most qualified for the Entertainment Host position, seeing as I have no awards experience, and am one of the resident goofballs of the TWS (beware The Bacon Machine). But I'm on vacation for the week of 6-17 through 6-23. And I'm a self-proclaimed noob, so someone should warn me if I'm getting in too far over my head.

20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

This is the place to get your awards experience. :)

It's great to see all the volutneers.

21. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    I'll volunteer to be a grunt on the Saga boards or the Beyond Saga boards.

Just give me a PM if you want me and whichever help is needed most on I will help with that one.

22. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    No hosting for me, but I'll be happy to volunteer in whatever era needs it. :)

-Krystal

23. yuna_kenobi

yuna_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2006
    i could do some Help Desk work since i have a pretty good grasp of markup language (not so different from HTML realy) and general stuff. i have only limited internet time, so i would have to do some redirecting to other people or set up a thread with answers to common questions

edit: please, if im in over my head, then tell me now!

24. General_Kenobi_66

General_Kenobi_66 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevermind. :( I'll be out of town from the 25th of this month through the 8th of July, and that's through most of the grunt-work time, I think. :(

But of there is anything I can do, before or after that time, please let me know! :)

25. Sionnach-Airgid

Sionnach-Airgid Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2005
    I could probably help as a grunt. My stories are mainly in The Saga with a few in Before, so I guess I would volunteer to help with the Beyond or I could do Before if you need me there since I don't know much about the Beyond era. Just not the regular Saga era (on the off chance someone actually nominates me).:p Maybe I could help with color coding? [face_thinking] I like color coding things! :D

Sorry if this is not very specific. I've never been involved with the awards, so I'm still a little confused as to what exactly I would need to do and how it all works. :confused: I would like to help though. :)

Also, I'll be away 1-4 August, but if I acquire a new laptop by then, I may be able to check in from time to time.

EDIT: I'm also good at counting, so I can count votes and nominations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.