main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards 2007 Fanfic Awards Information, Rules, and FAQ Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Nope, the overseers can't be nominated. Sorry. ;)

Um... that's a really good question. I think that in years past it's been 13 and under for best child... but we'll get back to you on that one real soon. :)

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Wonderful to see this up. First thing I did was check the dates against my list of weddings and birthday parties to go to, just to make sure only one interfered with the other.

3. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Ok, stupid question time again. [face_blush] I noticed under the ineligible for entries that authors that have one best author and stories or characters who have won are not eligible. For those of us who were not around for previous awards, where are the old award threads, especially last year's so we don't nominate an ineligible story or author?

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Alexis - go to Fan fiction index and go to the second post on that thread. It will list all of the awards for all time. ;) In the catagories you are interested in to make it easier.

5. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    dianethx is right. Rather than bringing all of that out (since it is a huge list) everything is already in the index for you to browse at your leisure.

The rules and FAQs have been updated.

Looking forward to Monday's nomination start!

6. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Thank you, I just didn't know where to look. :) I'd rather look stupid and ask a foolish question and find out the answer... and perhaps make it easier others who were wondering the same... than keep quiet and never learn. :D

7. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Oh, I have another question! In the category of best interpretation of a cannon character, does that cannon character have to be in a cannon supposition fanfic, or can it be in an AU story? For example, say writer "Jane Doe" wrote an AU story about Anakin not turning to the dark side, and it had all the principle and minor cannon characters in it, and even though it's an AU story, her interpretation of the cannon characters within it rang true to cannon.

Would those characters in that AU story qualify as an interpretation of a cannon character?

8. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Very pretty, Lunes. :)

9. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Yes; If canon characters are in an AU fic, they can still be nominated for best canon interpretation. The "canon interpretation" part means that they're canon characters, not in a canon fic :)

10. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    The big difference between Canon and Original Characters is where they come from. Canon characters come from "official things" meaning the movies, tv-shows, books, and even games. Kyle Katarn, most known from the video games, is a canon character even though not everyone knows him because they don't play the video games. If you decided to put Kyle in the Rebellion aiding Luke from the beginning, then he's still a canon character but in an Alternate Universe setting. Make sense?

11. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I'm totally excited about this year's awards. It's going to be so much fun :D !!

12. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Canon is a story that doesn't contradict the movies and books is canon. This is usually a fic that takes place between books or movies. AU is when a story contradicts in some way the movies or books. If you're still not sure, PM either Luna_Nightshade, Jaya Solo, the mods, or the host of your era and ask them to check.

Umm, ok, a little baffled by this so I?ll ask?
    So technically, what you?re saying is that, for example, if a story that takes place during a time period which is later than the timeframe of Secrets Of The Jedi (say ROTS for example) and has Siri Tachi as one of the characters it can not be nomed for Best Canon?

Or are the books only movie-canon level in Beyond (which is basically based around the books)?

Am I making sense here?

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I think I get what you're saying, but basically, any character that is in the books, movies, TV series, videogames, etc. (in other words, you or someone else here didn't make them up, Lucasfilm did) they're canon. So Siri Tachi is canon, no matter where the story is.

14. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Alley, Siri Tachi is canon no matter what story she shows up in.

If Siri showed up in a ROTS era story, the story would not be canon since she died before the movie started. The story would be AU.

Same with Jaina Solo. If she showed up in a story in the Jedi Apprentice period, she would still be canon but the story would not. The story would be AU.

15. Amrita_Glittersong

Amrita_Glittersong Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2007
    Wheeee; my first awards, and this looks like fun! I did have a question or two, though.

1. What falls under non-human? In other words, where's the distinction between 'human' and 'non-human'? To cite a specific example, Asajj is technically a near-human (Rattataki). Same with Thrawn (Chiss), Quinlan (Kiffar), Tru Veld (Teevan), etc etc. Would they and other near-humans count as human or non-human?

2. How can you tell if a story reaches the 30k word mark for an epic? Should you just copy and paste the posts of a story you'd like to nominate into a word counter and see what they add up to?

Thanks, and now I'm off to compile some nominations. :p

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    1. All those are "non-human;" anyone that isn't completely human is okay for that catagory, including the species that are near-human.

2. Copy and paste, PM the author, or just make a guess. If the story is really long, figure that it's hit the 30,000 mark :)

17. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Droids also fit into that catergory as well. ;) It's a pretty broad catergory: from Jabba the Hutt, to R2-2, to Grand Admiral Thrawn - it's all wide open.

Enjoy the experience Amrita!

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Right, droids too. Any character this isn't strictly human :)

19. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Though, heh, Anakin Solo actually won Best Non-human in 2004.

20. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Okay, I'm sorry if what I said earlier didn't make much sense, but pretty much what everyone said covered it. Canon characters, from games, movies, tv-shows, books, and so on, if they're placed in an alternate universe, they're still canon. Say if Siri Tachi and Obi-Wan Kenobi had a little girl named Lucy, she would not be canon and would in fact be an Original Character. Siri and Obi-Wan are Canon Characters though, no matter what story they're in. :)

Okay, I hope that made sense this time. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.