main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards 2007 Saga Fanfic Awards Excerpt Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by SagaFanficAwards, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SagaFanficAwards

SagaFanficAwards Saga FanFic Awards Sock star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Epic

To Cast Away Stones by DarthIshtar

"They sent you to be their spy," Vader claimed as he stalked forward. "Did you find what you wanted?"

Again, it was only easy to tell the truth: "No."

Vader smirked in triumph as he brought his saber up in a mock salute. "Maybe I can help you with that," he taunted.

Luke barely had time to activate Ti's saber before
    Vader attacked. Her amber blade met his blue in a shower of sparks, but Luke had to step back to ground himself in a fighting stance. The smug expression solidified on his adversary's face as if he had won some kind of bet with himself.

Luke took advantage of that moment's distraction to twist his wrists counter-clockwise. Since he had met the blow from beneath, this cleared his blade and he swung hard in a short arc from the left. Vader parried it quickly, but not easily.

"You're going to put up a fight," Vader observed, angling his blade towards Luke so that he had to step back once again. "Good. I don't want to kill something weak."

Luke certainly felt weak, since Vader was already weakening his defenses with strong, percussive blows. He had never had to use his lightsaber in extended combat, so survival here would only happen if he managed to save his strength.

The next blow came from above and Luke snapped the blade into a horizontal position, blocking it before it could cut through his skull. The blades disengaged and before he could think again, Vader imitated his arc cut. Luke managed to block it, but just in time.

Let go your conscious self and act on instinct.

He was no fighter. X-wings and fisticuffs were one thing, but the only training he'd gotten in this kind of mortal combat were a few lessons when he had more enthusiasm than skill.

Anakin blinked as if coming out of a trance, then swung again. Luke parried the strong uppercut, but his arms trembled with the effort of holding off another attack.

"You are no Jedi," was all Anakin said.

I should have been.

Luke did not answer, only stepped back and lowered his lightsaber to a low guard at his right thigh.

"Get out," Anakin echoed himself. "Your place is not here."

Luke didn't argue but he didn't budge, either.

"I'm not leaving until you do."

With each passing moment, he was seeing more and more of his father return. Anakin paced. He was not as a predator, just as a perplexed man. The voice that had been making threats was now almost pleading as if he finally understood that this was going terribly wrong.

"I can't stop this," Anakin bleated, "but I'm not adding you to my casualty list. I can't."

And now they came to it. It would have been the perfect moment to do the work that the High Command had asked of him in the first place. No one would have blamed him for killing Vader. No one would have known that Anakin Skywalker was still a part of the fledgling Dark Lord of the Sith.

He could have killed Vader now, should have done it while his father was still fighting against a newly rediscovered conscience.

Instead, Luke could no more kill Vader than Vader could unwittingly kill his own son.

"I'm not going anywhere," Luke said, his voice a little stronger. "I came here because I thought I could help stop this. You can stop this."

"You think it's that easy?" Father challenged. "There are reasons that you could never understand..."

"Make me."

For a moment, he recognized his father. He could see again the man who flew on his wing and who worried about the people they both loved.

Luke had been afraid of seeing something familiar in the man who became Vader. He had hated the thought of recognizing himself. The man who looked away at that last demand, though, was someone that Luke could identify as a Skywalker.

"Haven't you ever loved someone more than your own life?" he asked quietly.

"Of course," Luke said immediately, honestly.

I love Leia like tha

2. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Epic cont'd

Shadows of the Future by Stormqueen874

?Do you want to tell me about it?? Obi-Wan asked quietly.

?You?ll? you?ll laugh,? Anakin said, his voice small as he curled in on himself.

?Anakin,? Obi-Wan said softly, crouching before the boy without thought, ?I give you my word, as a Jedi, that I will never laugh at anything you say.?

Anakin chewed on his lip. ?It was about my mother.?

?What did you see??

?She?? Anakin started, his face scrunching and his voice wavering. ?She was in pain. She kept calling out to me, asking for my help, but I?? Anakin swallowed. ?I couldn?t find her. I was running and running, looking everywhere, but she was hidden, and I??

Anakin drew back then, and Obi-Wan could see tears gathering in the boy?s eyes. ?I couldn?t help her. I tried so hard, but it didn?t do anything. I couldn?t save her.?

There was a loud sniffle as Anakin buried his face in his hands and Obi-Wan couldn?t take it. He couldn?t sit motionless any longer.

?There, there,? he whispered, moving to Anakin?s side and gathering the boy in his arms. To his infinite surprise, Anakin didn?t pull away. Instead, he latched onto Obi-Wan, his face pressing against the Jedi?s shoulder and his arms winding around the man?s neck.

?Visions can be awful,? he said at last. ?Especially when they?re about ones who mean so much to us.?

He felt Anakin nod against his neck, and Obi-Wan tightened his grip when he sensed shame growing in the boy.

?It?s all right to be upset,? he said softly. ?You have every right to be. There?s nothing wrong with your reaction.?

?But?? Anakin began, there was another sniffle, and another shudder ran through the boy?s body. ?How?m I ever gonna be a Jedi if I?m so weak??

Obi-Wan stiffened, unable to completely control the response, and after setting his jaw, he gently coaxed the boy off him, yet still held the child by his shoulders.

?Anakin, look at me,? he urged. ?Your reaction does not make you weak. Do you hear me?? The boy nodded, peering up at Obi-Wan through tear-heavy lashes. ?It means you have a heart that cares for people deeply, and that can be your greatest strength.?

Anakin sniffled again. ?You? you really think so??

Obi-Wan gave him the best smile he could muster. ?Anakin, in part of the vision I saw earlier, I was forced to watch Qui-Gon die, while I was trapped behind an energy shield. He was impaled by an enemy, and I could do nothing.?

The boy gasped, the information startling him.

?And you saw how I reacted,? Obi-Wan continued, meeting Anakin?s wide-eyed stare. ?So no, padawan, I don?t think you?re weak. When faced with the thought of losing someone I love like a father, I nearly lost my mind. You, on the other hand, were reduced to tears. There?s an awfully large difference there, wouldn?t you agree??

Anakin stared at him and Obi-Wan could sense several emotions rising in the boy.

?Was I a Jedi in your vision? Is that why you knew my name when you woke up??

?Yes to both questions,? he said, sighing a little. ?But let me explain something about visions, Anakin. As I said earlier, they?re notoriously difficult to decode, and even more difficult to tell if they?re actually going to happen. You may very well become someone?s padawan, but you also might not.?

?My mom and Qui-Gon might not die then, right??

Obi-Wan nodded.

?But how can you sit by and do nothing? How do you know that it might happen because you didn?t do anything to stop it?? Anakin asked.

?How do you know it might happen because you tried to stop it? What if the actions you take, thinking you?re going to counter the vision, actually make it take place?? he replied gently. ?Visions cause all sorts of problems for everyone, especially when you can?t get them out of your mind.?

?So that?s why Yoda told you not to let it affect your decisions,? Anakin said and Obi-Wan nodded.

?Being a Jedi is

3. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Vignette

The Enemy of My Enemy by The_Face

The bar seemed empty, other than the bodies of two Gran patrons, an Ubese, and the Rodian bartender, whose body was sprawled over the counter with shards of glass lodged in his back. The explosion that decimated the wall behind the bar must have shattered all the bottles behind him and turned them into a thousand deadly weapons.

The bounty hunter stepped carefully around a table that had been split into two half-spheres. The only sounds were the whistling of the wind, the thundering stomps of Imperial walkers, and the soft crunch of his boots on glass and snow. [Boba] Fett was standing over the dead Ubese whose drink was still in hand when the assailant slammed into him from behind.

Fett hit the support beam shoulder first, jarring the rifle out of his suddenly distant-feeling fingers. His attacker spun him around and shoved him into the durasteel post again. A blaster pistol clicked into place under his jaw. A dusty matte black boot kicked his rifle across the floor. Fett faced his enemy. It was?

?Messuni Roserain,? the young woman finished his thought. She had bright laser-red hair and a determined anger as cold as the winter air around them across her features. Roserain was a reasonably well-known drifting gunslinger, infamous mostly for showing up at the precise moment a criminal doesn?t want to see her. Fett knew her more personally.

At length, Fett spoke. ?So what, are you going to kill me??

?Honestly?? Messuni?s green eyes narrowed further. ?Yeah.?

?We?ve been through this before, thorn. You won?t. Not with your moral code.?

Messuni pressed the barrel of her blaster harder into the hunter?s jaw. ?You don?t know me, Fett.?

?Those months of being hunted by an angry orphan girl? Force, you weren?t even twenty then, were you??

?Fett, you should know? People like you and people like me aren?t that stringent with their codes.?

?You?re not like me, thorn,? Fett replied.

Messuni took a breath. ?You got that right.?

?Listen. I am your best chance at getting out of here.?

She scoffed. ?You know what would help my chances of escape? A fancy suit of Mandalorian armor, and not an ?ally? who?ll stab me in the back first chance. So again? gonna kill you.?

?Verd ori?shya??

??beskar?gam,? finished Messuni. ?I learned a lot chasing you down for vengeance. How to shoot a blaster, how to shoot two blasters, that trick with shooting other?s blasters out of their hands? and about you, Boba. It?s odd; I actually kind of respect Mandalorians. But I?m not so sure what?s Mandalorian about you at all.?

?If you?re going to kill me,? Fett said calmly, ?do it now, before you talk more.?

?You?re branching out into comedy now, Fett?? Messuni arched an eyebrow. ?I?m surprised ? mostly appalled and disgusted, but there?s surprise in there too.? With her free hand, she pulled the backup pistol from Fett?s side holster and slid it into the empty one on her belt. ?What are you doing here??

?Having a horrid conversation, apparently.?

?Again with the zingers.? Messuni shook her head, then glared directly into Fett?s blank visor. ?Answer or I blow your jawbone through your frontal lobe, and maybe feed you that silly little antenna on your helmet just for kicks.?

Fett and Messuni stood silently for a few long moments. ?I came to Eraban to capture a slaver. Then the city turned into a battlefield and the bountyhead was killed in the crossfire. He?s worth nothing to me dead.?

?And what are you doing in here?? Messuni pressed. ?Helping the Empire off the remaining Rebels??

?No.?

?What, your relationship with the Imps on the rocks? I thought you and Vader were like those wacky buddy stormtroopers you see on the holos??

?The Eraban moff,? Fett said.

She frowned. ?What, did you kill his family too??

Fett said nothing.

Messuni?s frown turned

4. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Series

To Cast Away Stones and To Gather Stones Together by DarthIshtar

In this scene, the Skywalkers confront the man who sent them to kill their own father.

"You knew," Leia said simply as if she were lecturing a foolish child. "You knew exactly what you were asking me to do and you sat there and convinced me that it was right to commit murder in the name of justice."

Again, he could not argue with that. He couldn't deny that there had been a thousand times when he could have stopped all of this from happening.

?You are an Alderaanian, but you are the one Alderaanian or even Alliance member, for that matter, who would never be tempted to let that mission fail.?

"I did," he confirmed.

He lowered his chin to look directly at Leia, but did not raise a hand to ward her off. If she intended to strike again, he would accomplish more by giving her a chance to succeed than by pretending that it was undeserved.

Instead, her hand dropped to her side. It was probably less a gesture of defeat than an acknowledgment that she would prefer to not be this way. Immediately, he was reminded of the initial misgiving that he should have never thought to send Bail Organa's daughter to do the unthinkable. She was devoted to justice but she had never thought to redefine it to suit her own needs.

"Why?" Luke asked quietly as if her action against Rieekan had robbed him of the need to demonstrate his anger.

"Because it could have changed everything," Rieekan replied frankly. "Who knows what could have been accomplished if the Emperor had been robbed of his greatest warrior or what could have been accomplished if Bail had never been killed?"

"Do you think it would have been really worth it?" Leia blurted. "You asked us to become the very thing that we have been fighting against for this entire war and you thought it might have accomplished good?"

It suddenly seemed absurdly appropriate that he was forced to answer that question with blood on his hands. He let his own hand fall to his side to mirror her stance and he could see Solo relaxing slightly.

"It was never supposed to be that way," he explained. "When the files that we pulled from Artoo's memory banks were dated from the last days of the Republic but under your cipher, we knew that something else had to be done."

"So you sent Anakin Skywalker's son to do the same instead," she snorted. "Was that your idea as well?"

"No," he said adamantly. "I even fought that?"

"You should have fought all of this," Leia interrupted.

Honesty seemed to be what was required most right now, so all he could tell her was, "I know."

The fire didn't leave her eyes, but she turned away as if there was something that she could not even say to his face. She did not speak, however, only moved to Luke's side. His hand extended to her by way of invitation and she didn't hesitate, only slid her fingers into his palm and let him pull her into a silent embrace. It was a familial gesture that had always seemed natural to them, though they could not have possibly known why. The way she rested against him this time suggested that he was welcoming her back after a hard-won battle.

Rieekan felt spent as well, but it was a sensation that followed fear of a strike that never came. It was as if he had been anticipating this sort of return since their moments of departure and now that it had transpired, he had no idea how to move off the battlefield.

"Would you like to know how the mission went?" Solo challenged again.

He nodded, sinking onto the edge of his desk. "I want to know everything."

Solo frowned. "Since we didn't have a way for asking for new orders, we redefined the old. Leia was on the Alderaanian delegation's staff and I eventually managed to get a job as Bail's guard. Luke decided to be a hero and join the Grand Army o

5. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Series

The User - Episode 1:1 'SIn' and The User - Episode 1:2 'Premeditated' by Luton_Plunder

'The User'

"You think," he said tentatively, "that I'm a Jedi?"

"Welcome to the revelation, detective," she said. "I'm afraid there's no other explanation. Just like Machwilliam, you found leads on those murders all too easily. Your brother tracked me down in the middle of traffic much sooner than even I expected. And then you yourself show up here, miraculously unscathed in the middle of an Imperial garrison, to rescue him? If not the force, then what?

"You, detective, are a user."

Tadgh felt dread fill him. Her logic was easy to follow in hindsight. She wasn't aware of the CDN or its capabilities. She didn't know that he and Taban had been following her with droids, not the force. It must have seemed obvious to her that they were force users. The CDN, for all the amazing help it had been, had ultimately doomed them.

"You were targeting me from the beginning," he said. "This whole time."

'Premeditated'

He recognised the intruder as soon as he set eyes on the tattered top hat and spotted grey waistcoat. This was The Mystic, a celebrity of sorts around Correalis known for his crazy demeanour and apparently accurate visions of the future. He'd never dealt with him personally, but his brother Taban had once sworn he'd received an accurate prediction concerning the score in a shockball game. Like most things that Taban said, he'd taken it with a grain of salt.

"Tadgh Maitland, this is quite important," the Mystic repeated, walking purposefully through the front doors. As he got further into the building concerned-looking security guards followed quickly, one of them reaching out to keep a hand on the intruder at all times. They looked baffled.

"I'm...we were...just happened to be ..." the guard on the left stammered, trying to justify the security breach. "This guy snuck by us," he decided on.

Tadgh stood and faced the scuffling group of men, feeling somewhat responsible for the entire thing. This vagrant lunatic was calling his name, which meant that in some roundabout and unfair way the whole thing was his fault. But given that his day had been one hell of a bore so far, this was the kind of trouble he was more than happy to deal with.

"It happens," Tadgh dismissed it.

"Shall we arrest him?" the guard asked, extracting a pair of shock binders from his belt.

"No, no - let me hear what he has to say first," Tadgh insisted, feeling charitable.

"I am here to help you and Detective Keyston solve the Heartstring case," the Mystic announced, looking rather pleased with himself. It was said with such casual dismissal, as though this was a perfectly normal thing to say about a classified investigation that not even regular CorSec knew they were working on.

"Okay," Tadgh said, throwing a significant look to a horrified Keys, "now you can arrest him."

Shock binders were applied to the man's wrists and he was led away roughly, but that didn't diminish his resolve. He kept talking, half of it indistinguishable from the overbearing noise of the security guards and the sound of interested background chatter. But some words - dangerous, worrying words - could be discerned through it all. Words like Daughter, kidnap and dead.

But the worst of them all, the word that made Tadgh steel himself against the rush of adrenaline in his body, was something that he could never have expected. It was a pair of words, actually - and more specifically, a name - that he had come to be quite protective of since the events of last week. Now when he heard it he had to fight the urge to yank out his blaster and go on the offensive.

"Stop," Tadgh ordered, moving closer to the Mystic. The scuffling guards and background noise dropped away suddenly. "What did you just say?" he demanded, hand gracin

6. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Canon Interpretation, Male

Bale Organa in Walk the Line by ophelia

?A guard was killed?there?s no reason to believe that Breha or Leia was harmed,? Mon Mothma said, seemingly trying to be reassuring despite her own anxiety and need to hurry. ?Bail, these kidnappers made no other mistakes. That dart was left there for a reason?to send you a message.?

?A message about what?? Bail demanded, unable to help directing some of his outrage toward Mon Mothma, although she was only the bearer of bad news. ?I don?t need a message to tell me that Palpatine?s suspicious of me, or that he?d love to try seizing more control on Alderaan by flexing his muscles there. If the Empire were targeting me, why not just arrest me? Why not just kill me?they?ve carried out summary executions for ?treason? before.?

?I believe they were interested in more than just you,? Mon Mothma said, her tone still calming, almost apologetic. ?Bail . . . I think they?ve isolated you as a leak.?

A leak? It took a moment for that idea to fully sink in, and when it did, Bail gave a low groan. ?This is for Nysia, isn?t it?? he asked. ?I let them get too close to me with Nysia . . .? [ . . . ]

?We?ll probably never know what it was,? Mon Mothma said, as if that could somehow assuage his guilt. ?But such an obvious declaration of war can only mean they?re trying to drive you into asking your hidden allies for help. From this point on . . . I suggest you assume that everything you say and do is being monitored.?

Even this? Bail wondered, suddenly suspicious of even his longtime friend. The attack from such an unexpected, unthinkable direction had left him reeling, and he no longer trusted his own judgment. Where would the next dagger in the back come from?

His brain was half-numb with shock, and the rest of Mon Mothma?s words washed over him without making an impression at first: ?I?m afraid . . . I?m afraid I don?t know what else I can offer you, except for my deepest sympathy. The Resistance is in no position to take up an open offensive against the Empire. Bail . . . we?re going to need you to back away for a while.?

It was the pain in her voice that caught his attention, and for the first time in several seconds he really focused his gaze on her. It was the unspoken guilt in those deep-blue eyes of hers that finally whispered to him what she was getting at. ?You?re abandoning us,? he said, and suddenly his horror turned to feelings of betrayal and fury. [. . . ]

?The goal is to follow each of us to the other until we?ve all damned ourselves. Do you understand??

In a horrible, sick way, Bail did. Imperial surveillance was like some kind of dormant virus that spread from host to host before exploding into its lethal phase. Now that Bail had been contaminated??compromised,? to use the proper political term?he was like a man who had to be sealed behind a quarantine barrier while his friends could only look on and mourn. None of this made it any easier to accept the fact that his wife and daughter were missing, and his allies had deserted him. [. . . ]

Mon Mothma?s tone had turned imploring, although Bail was barely listening to her. ? . . . I?m sorry we can?t be of more help,? she said. ?We just don?t have the capability . . . not without a real military arm in place. Do you know of anyone? Is there anyone still around from the old days, who might be willing to take on a mission in the open? Can you call in any old favors . . . ??

Mon Mothma?s question about knowing someone from the ?old days? stirred Bail?s stunned wits, and he began considering the option that he had hoped never to use. In all likelihood, he could call in that old ?favor? only once, after which Leia?s?and her hidden brother?s?last protector would be gone.

Was this situation dire enough that he ought to be willing to sacrifice another man?s life? Was he certain there was no less-drastic way?

Bail took

7. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Canon Interpretation, Female

Padme in Lady Luck by Jade_Max

She was going to kill him, Padmé decided as she tossed another leaf from the small tree she'd found into the swirling waters of the river. Just for being arrogant and egotistical and making assumptions about the past she was supposed to have lived. Talk about jumping to conclusions. She frowned.

Had she really done anything to dissuade his thinking, she wondered, watching as the leaves disappeared around the bend in the river. Her lips twisted. No. She hadn't. She'd encouraged him to think the worst of her, to think that she was a wonton, easy woman without morals compulsions. She rubbed her forehead, trying to ease the strain behind her eyes.

Her head hurt, and not just from the strain of her newly healed body taking a longer hike than she should. Damn his handsome hide anyway. "I must be mad." Padmé murmured darkly, shredding the leaves on one full branch and violently casting them over the water. She watched them swirl and race, some being pulled under by the current, others caught in the languid run of the waters close to the river's edge. Much like her swirling emotions.

Damn his handsome hide! She wanted to scream with frustration but didn't dare; she hadn't been able to get far enough away from the campsite without her newly healed injuries protesting in pain. As it is, she thought darkly. I'd rather scream at him than about him. Much more satisfying.

At least until he got that wounded look on his face.

She grimaced, yanking a twig off the small plant and tossing it disgustedly into the water. "You're going soft, girl," she told herself bitterly. "All because of a pair of blue eyes that match the color of the skies on the planet you can never go back to." She sighed, a sense of longing welling up within her as she leaned back against the canyon wall, her eyes on the river but not really seeing it.

She saw instead the mountain ranges of Naboo, wreathed with white clouds and surrounded with clear sapphire skies. She saw the lake country's waters, shimmering and clear, the sandy bottoms visible even at their greatest depths - deceptively so. She saw the lush, verdant forests, the swamp lands. All memories, fleeting though they were, that had never dimmed nor dulled with time.

All memories from a teenage girl that had long ago ceased to exist.

Padmé crouched beside the river bank, slipping her hand into the cool water and letting it trail over her fingers and hand. That teenager would have jumped at the chance she was being offered. She would have likely fallen for Anakin within the first five minutes and then proceeded to doggedly chase him, hounding him, until she received the answer she was looking for. She shook her head. Not so much unlike the woman she'd become - except for the motive.

That teenager would have been looking for the happily-ever-after and the woman she'd become had long ago stopped believing such things were possible.

She pushed to her feet and let the memories slip away, hardening her heart against the emotions which always followed and locking them deep into the recesses of her mind. She had a job to do. A job she didn't particularly like anymore, but she would do it. She would do it because she would be paid for it and maybe, just maybe, one day she'd make enough to clear her name and go home.

The water whispered along the banks behind her as she turned on her heel and headed back to camp. She had to speak with Skywalker if for no other reason than to make him understand.

Leia Organa in [link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/24502896/p1/?270]Ghost[/link] by IrishEyedJedi

The escort walked in silence for a moment until they pasted a familiar room. The Princess peeked into it and saw the lifeless body of her former Captain. Without any regard for her well being, she shoved passed the troopers and fell down beside Captain Anitlle

8. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Original Character, Male

Josym Di'sallach in Moonwater Perfume: A Courtesan's Tale by leiamoody

This morning, under the nousila, we sat together, over the second meal, as he had requested. He missed the first due to the fact was up late last night, until the Fifth Veiled Hour to be exact. A very naughty and capricious action, but he was doing something that is actually quite amusing, and nothing I would have expected from the young man. He was wandering about the gallery, with the many dour holoportraits of his ill-begotten ancestors staring down. He was pacing back and forth on a long carpet of exquisite antiquity...it?s absurd in some way, but funny...the dear boy was reciting poetry! Out loud, aided by the friendly spirits of the fermented sort. Specifically, a bottle or two of his father?s finest Belinigransa helped along his sudden urge to recite 3,000 year old verses while heroically battling the still enemy of an armor suit with a rolled-up scroll. It was his first experience with inebriation. Taking bottles of the finest vintage and most rare sort from the private cellars is not unusual. Almost every child of the nobility tries and fails or succeeds in some silly attempt at rebellion. It?s one of the unofficial but necessary foibles the youth of the aristocracy need to do while living in this rigid society. But his act was so minor, really low-key, compared to the escapades that I have heard of other young sons doing. Nothing was destroyed, no one was injured, other than two bottles of first harvest imported wine. The scroll did not even suffer from any chipping...in fact, it?s only a modern fake the Prestat keeps in his library to impress visitors. And the suit of armor is none the worse for wear. Perhaps the only thing which was injured somewhat were the words of my favorite poet. But it is recorded that Suiame was most fond of beautiful young men, and I think it likely she would forgive her poems being slightly garbled by a lovely yet drunken creature.

Liam Senoe in [link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/26153201/p1/?0]By Small Things [/link] by Noelie

Qui-Gon turned to me as I entered the living area, where he stood watching the traffic lanes. His eyebrows rose as I handed him a glass of Chandrilan Brandy.

"You're breaking out the expensive liquor now. Either you want to prime me for a serious talk, we are celebrating you have two healthy sons, or it is a convenient moment that your wife is too worn to worry over us getting drunk."

I flashed a tired grin in response and then took a long whiff of the brandy to catch the scent.

I stared for a long time into the glass before I asked the question foremost in my mind.

"What have you learned about my sons, and how much should I worry before they arrive?"

There was a long pause while I nervously swirled my brandy around to warm it further. I glanced over to see him taking a sip to taste, his eyes seeming to search horizon.

"Liam all of this is still in the realm of guess work. I won't pretend with you that there will not pressure to give your child up for Jedi training. I am fairly certain that at least one of your sons has the ability."

"After what just happened I can't help but think that the Jedi and Obi-Wan are right. There are special needs that neither Noe and I will have any idea about." I set my drink down on a table as I sat heavily on the couch.

Qui-Gon drew a deep breath, "Liam I can hardly claim to be an impartial judge and many on the council will question my judgment, but I can't imagine a better home for any child than with Noela and you. I know it is hard to trust at this point but, between her history with the Jedi in general and the inquiry I have sent out, your children will have any help that they need should it be both of them."

I shrugged trying to pretend I was calmer than I actually felt. "I realized today as you came in and so quietly did somethin

9. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Original Character, Female

Myallani in Crowned with Consolation by VaderLVR64

The suns rose hot and bright and I watched the motes of dust drifting in their beams. I felt him stir beside me, watched as he opened his eyes, blinked up at the unfamiliar ceiling. Then he smiled and turned to look at me. ?Good morning,? he whispered in a morning husky voice.

Suddenly I was overcome with embarrassment so I buried my face in his shoulder. He chuckled softly and embraced me. ?I see you?ve not lost your shyness with me,? he said, seemingly content just to hold me.

?You?ll have to go back today, won?t you?? I asked and he went still beside me. I looked up at him and saw the sadness flicker over his face.

?Yes,? he answered simply ? honestly. ?I-?

I put my fingers over his lips. ?I know,? I told him. ?You were very honest with me, Ben.?

?You must understand, I?? He shook his head and kissed the top of my head. ?I have given my word to see a task through, and I must honor it.?

?I know,? I answered. He lay back on the pillows and I rested my head on his chest, listening to the steady, reassuring thump of his heart. ?Your life is not yours to give, you said.?

?It never has been,? he whispered, and it seemed that he spoke to himself more than to me.

?This is enough,? I answered, placing a kiss on the warm skin over his ribs. ?Even if it never happens again, I?ll always have this memory.?

Looking up at him, I saw his eyes spark with desire and beneath my ear, I felt his heart begin to beat faster. He wanted me, as far-fetched and fantastic as it was. He desired me, found me beautiful.

?You are beautiful,? he whispered, and once again he seemed to have an uncanny insight into my thoughts.

?You?ll come back, won?t you?? I asked, hardly daring to hope.

?When I can,? he answered. ?Until you don?t want me to anymore.?

?You?ll always be welcomed in my home,? I told him. ?And in my bed.? The words escaped me before I could stop them, but I would not take them back even if I could have.

?What I can give and still keep my honor, I?ll give to you,? he promised. ?It isn?t much, but it?s all I have.?

?Then that?s all I need,? I answered, pulling him to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today, the sands are silent and I look out over the dunes with eyes that search. My heart is troubled and anxious though I try to hide my fear from Balia. My daughter, however, in that disconcerting way of hers, comes to me and puts her hand in mine, offering comfort for she knows not what.

She is my joy, my beloved daughter, whom I would not have known if not for Ben.

Imperials landed near Mos Eisley yesterday. That is all anyone can talk about now. What were they doing here? Why?

For some reason, my thoughts turn to Ben.

I saw him just a few weeks ago and he seemed different. There was a new brightness in his eyes, almost a light of anticipation. His embrace had been tender, as always, but something in his manner had troubled me. It was as if he was already detaching himself from Tatooine, from me? It?s an odd notion, but I can?t set it aside.

I had sensed something melancholy in him as well.

I chide myself for my silly fears and I imagine that he and I will laugh over my foolishness the next time he comes into town. He will tease me about it and I will endure it happily, grateful that he is there to mock me so gently.

Still, I cannot help but scan the desert, wishing desperately that I would see his familiar figure trudging through sands, his hand lifted in welcome.

Where are you, Ben?

Balia clasps my hand even more tightly, as if my fear has communicated itself to her.

?Why do you think the Imperials were here?? she asks suddenly.

?I don?t know,? I answer honestly. Tatooine has never been subjected to an Imperial presence.

Balia is silent for a moment. ?You don?t think?you don?t think it?s got something to do with Ben, do you?? Her wo

10. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Child

Anakin Skywalker in Never Look Back by Valairy_Scot

Slipping ? the anchor was slipping ? Force, it was slipping! Anakin launched himself in a full body dive, threw himself across the anchor and jammed it into the snow with all the weight of his body upon it; he spat out a mouthful of snow. He was in time. He panted, a wide grin plastered in white spread across his face. In just a moment Obi-Wan would be beside him, rubbing his padawan?s bruised stomach, an apologetic grin on his youthful face for the pain incurred on his behalf.

?C?mon, Master ? I hurt myself for you!? he shouted as he twisted around and looked for Obi-Wan?s bright eyes and red cheeks. ?Master ? please, you ? you?re coming, aren?t you??

Only the sigh of the wind flapping his cloak could be heard.

?M?master?? Anakin cried, but only the echo of his cry returned. Obi-Wan was saving his breath as he saved himself, Anakin reasoned, desperate to hold onto hope.

Obi-Wan was coming ? had to be coming, any second now ? first a hand, then the second, and then his master would be heaving himself over the edge and flopping onto his stomach. He would pant heavily, grin at Anakin, and clasp his arm as his eyes twinkled and he would make some ridiculous joke that was totally stupid and they would both laugh themselves silly from pure relief and he would throw snow in his master?s face and Obi-Wan would frown at him and tell him they needed to get a move on and would offer him a hand up and then dump him in the snow and they?d have a snowball fight before moving on?.

He wanted to laugh with Obi-Wan at his side, in wet and cold clothes, happy inside even if miserable outside.

Where was Obi-Wan?

He frowned.

He needed Obi-Wan.

Urgent need made him grasp onto the rope ? and flinch, for the rope was slack and weightless? he opened his mouth to scream, ?Obi-Wan!? before his mind turned the ?O? into ?Of course!? A slack line meant that his master was even now coming over the edge. Anakin slithered forward to fall into his arms ? peered over the edge ? and screamed.

Obi-Wan was gone .

?Master!? he screamed into the depths ? but there was no reply. Just silence.

Anakin stared down into the crevasse with tears frozen on his cheeks and his master?s last words like a warm hand on his cheek. ?Keep going, Padawan and don?t look back ? keep going.?

He huddled in a ball and cried, until there were no more tears left inside. He cried for his master and he cried for himself, alone once more.

Master will want me to wait for him. He doesn?t like it when I go off without a word. Master is coming; Master always comes. No matter who leaves me, Master comes.

In all the chaos since Jedi first arrived in his life, Obi-Wan was the one constant that Anakin could count on. From family to strangers, from old routine to new, from old life with nothing but hope to a new life with plenty of hope, Obi-Wan Kenobi had been beside him. Master would be disappointed when he climbed over the edge and Anakin was not there, and he didn?t want to disappoint his master. He would wait.

Anakin waited, and waited some more, for his master to show up. Obi-Wan would not leave him and he wouldn?t leave his master. He would wait; however long it took.

Jedi don?t die. Unbidden, tears came to his eyes ? Qui-Gon Jinn had died. Jedi did die. Obi-Wan doesn?t die! He scrubbed the tears away. Jedi went to the Force on a pillar of fire, not entombed in ice. That meant his master was alive ? had to be alive ? and if he waited long enough, Obi-Wan would show up.

Obi-Wan would not abandon him. He would not abandon his master.

And so he sat, and so he waited, arms tucked within his sleeves and his eyes searching ? always searching, and his heart listening ? always listening.

When you can?t handle it alone, remember you are not alone, you have the Force. Call on it ? it will help you. Yes, Master, Anakin sniff

11. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Child

Anakin Skywalker in Shadows of the Future by Stormqueen874

The alien grinned,, and Anakin nearly gulped when he felt the alien?s small black eyes fall on him. ?Well, well. Who?s this, Obi-Wan? Your little brother??

?You could say that,? Obi-Wan said, winking at Anakin, who tried to smile around his unease. ?Dex, this is Anakin Skywalker, who I?ll be looking after for a while. Anakin, meet Dexter Jettster, able to do any trade in the galaxy, yet has settled on cooking, and an old friend of mine and my Master?s.?

?Hi,? Anakin said, his voice deciding not to come out as loudly as he would?ve liked, but Dexter didn?t seem to notice.

?Say, you wouldn?t happen to be the same Human who won the Boonta Classic, now would ya?? Dexter asked, one of his hands coming up to stroke his chin thoughtfully, and Anakin looked up in surprise. ?I seem to recall readin? somethin? about it in the news reports, just the other day. A whole lotta people lost a lot of credits because of the upset of the favorite.?

?Sebulba knew I was gonna beat him eventually,? Anakin said, his fear forgotten and replaced by a tiny grin of pride. ?I?m Human but I?ve got better reflexes, and I had a better ?racer, which I built myself.?

Dexter laughed again. ?I thought it was you!? he said, grinning. ?You?re all over some of the racing channels, being hailed as the biggest surprise to come out of podracing in years. I watched some of the Classic, and didn?t you stall out in the very beginning??

?Unfortunately,? Anakin said, rolling his eyes. ?And then something went wrong with the engines, but I was still able to pull off a first place win!?

He felt a hand lightly touch his shoulder, and he found Obi-Wan smiling down at him. ?You see, Dex, we got stuck on Tatooine during our latest mission, and if Anakin hadn?t won that race to get the parts we needed, we would still be there.?

?Really, now?? Dexter said, glancing from Obi-Wan to Anakin briefly. ?Then you?ve got my thanks, Anakin, for bringing Obi-Wan back to Coruscant, even if he does complain too much about my cooking.? Anakin grinned up at Obi-Wan, who rolled his eyes with a smile. ?And I think something so noble deserves a reward, don?t you, Obi-Wan? Lunch is on the house today, provided you tell me all about the race.?

?Deal!? Anakin said happily and a the service droid handed him a menu.

?Hey, Obi-Wan?? he asked, frowning as he read over the selections. ?What should I avoid??

Obi-Wan laughed in response before reaching over and tapping an item on Anakin?s menu with his finger. ?Don?t listen to what I said earlier, Ani,? he said, still smiling. ?Dex one of the best cooks out there, and though everything here is good, I think you?ll like that one.?

Anakin read it over, pursing his lips, but he finally inwardly shrugged and put down the menu. He?d never heard of a ?burger? before, and it did have Bantha meat in it, so it couldn?t be too bad. It came with a side of frites, which he?d never heard of either, but most of the food on the menu came with that, so he decided not to worry about it.

The serving droid returned to take their orders and nearly snatched the menu from his hands once he?d finished speaking. Anakin watched it speed away, part of him wondering what its problem was, since there were only a few other people in the diner besides him and Obi-Wan. Maybe it was just programmed to be rude.

?Don?t worry about her, Ani,? Obi-Wan said, drawing his gaze from the droid. ?She?s been like that for as long as I can remember, even when Qui-Gon and I were the only ones here.?

?She?? he echoed.

?Well, you wouldn?t really call a droid like that a ?he?, would you?? Obi-Wan said, lacing his fingers together. ?Considering it looks like she?s wearing a red dress and has a feminine voice chip installed??

?Yeah, I?m glad you pointed that out,? Anakin said, glancing over his shoulder at the droid,. ?I wouldn?t wanna insult her and

12. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Non-Human

R2D2 in It Makes My Dome Hurt by brodiew

The proximity alarms sounded, alerting Solo that we had entered the Alderaan System. He and Chewbacca, still reveling in his hollow victory, left the hold and headed to the cockpit. Luke and Ben followed with interest.

But my concern was elsewhere. Immediately, when we dropped from hyperspace, I noticed that the outer hull began taking hits. It was nothing the shields couldn?t handle, but worrisome nonetheless.

Animated voices could be heard in the cockpit leading me to believe that the impacts on the hull were not expected and certainly not welcome.

?What ever could be happening? Are we under attack? Alderaan is a peaceful system.?

?I don?t know, Goldie. Perhaps, Captain Solo is not as peaceful as they are,? I replied.

The ship continued to be bombarded; well not exactly bombarded, more like peppered. I opened my sensors to scan the impacts and cross referenced them with previous experience. We weren?t under attack. From what I could gather, we had hit an asteroid field. This was not good news either, because we should be at Alderaan. It looked liked Solo was going to have to live up to his arrogance.

When the peppering stopped, and the ship settle into it regular rhythm, C-3PO was relived.

?Oh, thank goodness,? he said. ?That rattling was doing terrible things to my wiring.?

?Stop being hyper-sensitive, Goldie,? I replied. ?Your circuits are fine.?

?How do you know what my circuits are doing?? he said, turning toward me and pushing my dome.

Same old song. Luckily, I was locked into position.

?You know how much I hate space trav-?

The ship started shaking again. But this time it was all too familiar. Tractor Beam.

?My nerves!? cried C-3PO.

?You don?t have nerves, Goldie. Be quiet! I?m trying to figure out what?s happening.?

?You are not my master, you bucket of bolts!? exclaimed Goldie, hitting the release button for the locking mechanism that was holding me in place. I dropped to the floor, teetering on the brink of falling on my side. If that happened, I?d be at C-3PO?s mercy until the others came back. Opening a minor compartment on my right side, near my dome, I extended a small thruster. It was one of the few of such systems that still worked. Activating it at just the right pressure leve, I was able to right myself and give Goldie a rather vehement piece of my dome.

When I finished and had calmed down, so had the ship. It appeared we weren?t able to fight the tractor beam.

?We?re in a tractor beam, C-3PO. Someone is pulling us in,? I said, matter of fact.

?Could this get any worse?? Goldie moaned.

?I?m sure Obi-Wan has something up his Jedi sleeve. If not, it?s possible that Captain Solo is a brilliant tactician and we just haven?t seen that side of him yet.?

?Unlikely.?

?Chewie, start opening the smuggling compartments,? said Solo, entering the common area with Luke and Ben in tow. ?We?ll have to hide down there for a long as we can.?

?Down where, Captain Solo?? inquired Goldie.

Turning to Luke, Solo said, ?We?re going to have to stow the droids with us. Can you explain to them what we?re doing??

?Sure, I will, as soon as you tell me what we?re doing,? said Luke.

?Listen up. You, too?Kenobi, because, I?m only going to say this once. Chewie is pulling up the deck plating in the main corridor. Underneath are some hidden compartments that I use in my?work. On first inspection, they won?t find a thing. But, if they start scanning, we start shooting.?

"You mean smuggling," added Luke.

?I don?t have time for this, boy,? Solo said, frustration rising. ?Get the droids into the hall and help them into the floor.?

I noticed Ben place a hand on Luke?s shoulder and nod toward the hallway. Goldie explained what happened and I decided to roll that way myself. I met Luke and Ben in the entryway and heard the two whispering.

?He bugs me, Ben,? said Luke, obv

13. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Villain

Darth Vader in Day of Reckoning by VaderLVR64

A/N: Vader is not in the suit.

?You?re looking well, my dear,? he drawled. ?Apparently, betraying your marriage vows agrees with you.?

?You are the one who betrayed them, not me,? she answered tersely.

He stepped close and reached out to flick at her hair with his hand. She barely restrained the instinctive flinch as he drew closer. ?He said, she said?? Vader shrugged. ?Let?s not get bogged down in useless arguments. I don?t suppose we?ll ever agree on who did what exactly.?

Laughing bitterly, Padmé shook her head. ?You?re more delusional that I expected.?

?And you?re more foolish,? he snapped. He put his fingers over her racing pulse. ?Tell me?did you really expect to simply walk in here and steal my son? Did you think I wouldn?t know that you?re here??

?My son,? Padmé corrected. ?And Anakin?s, but never yours.?

He pressed against her throat. ?Careful, my dear, you?re going to make me angry.?

?I don?t think it takes much these days,? she answered recklessly.

He leaned down and whispered into her ear. ?I guess you?re right, my love.? She shuddered and he felt it. He savored the feel of her fear. ?You?re frightened,? he murmured.

?Repulsed,? she corrected.

He laughed softly and caressed the elegant length of her throat. ?Liar.? His tongue leisurely traced the outline of her ear. ?What do you say, Padmé?shall we give it one last go to see if the old fire is still there??

?You aren?t fit to lick the blood you?ve spilled on Anakin?s boots.?

Vader ran one finger down her cheek. ?Now you?re just hurting my feelings,? he mocked.

?You?d never understand, so I won?t bother trying to explain it. I loved Anakin. I always will.? Padmé shook her head. ?Even now, I love Anakin, and nothing you do will ever change that.? She reached out to touch him but he flinched back. ?But you?re not Anakin.?

Vader stepped away from her, put some distance between them.

?It doesn?t matter,? Vader said softly. ?You?ve been destined to die at my hand from the moment you were born.?

?I know,? she answered calmly.

?I won?t have mercy on you,? Vader told her.

?I know that too,? Padmé said with a sad smile. ?I never expected you to.? Unbelievably she took a step closer and it was he who stumbled back.

?I hate you,? Vader hissed.

?And I loved you ? the real you,? Padmé answered. ?All of this will be meaningless to you one day, and you?ll realize you sold your soul far too cheaply.?

?Shut up!?

?You?ll look into our son?s eyes and see only your own brand of hatred reflected back at you and you?ll finally know?but it will be too late,? she whispered, shaking her head.

?You?re going to die, Padmé.?

?Yes, Anakin, I?m going to die.? There was nothing but pained resignation in her voice.

?Don?t call me that,? Vader ground out. ?Anakin does not exist anymore. You should know that better than most.? There was cruel laughter in his voice then as he grew calmer.

?Anakin exists,? Padmé argued. ?But he?s grown so small and timid that he dare not show his face.?

?I destroyed Anakin, just as I?m going to kill you.?

She started to answer but her hands flew up to her throat.

Vader was holding out one hand, a smirk on his face. ?I told you, Padmé?? There was a childish sing-song quality to his voice that was at odds with the languid, flickering flame in his eyes. ?At least I know how to keep my word??

Blood bloomed in her eyes and she gave him one last desperate look and fell at his feet. In the Force he felt her pass from life to death and it was a cold and beautiful thing. Kneeling beside her, he gathered her into his arms and pressed his mouth to hers.

Her lips were still warm, slightly parted as if she welcomed his kiss. Vader pulled back to stare at her. At last he would have peace and he could put the ghost of Padmé Amidala behind him. He searched his feel

14. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Villain

Obi-Wan Kenobi in The Broken Cadence Rolls by LuvEwan

Qui-Gon Jinn was standing over him. Shadows dissolved his jaw, but he could see the bright concern in the blue eyes. ?Are you alright??

He ignored the inquiry, pulling himself up and into the corner, where he rested his back on the cold, flat wall.

Jinn took a step back, crossing his arms over his chest. ?I?m rather shocked.?

Despite himself, he glanced up at the older man. ?What?? He rasped.

?Well,? Jinn shrugged with a small, aggravating smile, ?I never knew that Sith drooled. Isn?t exactly in keeping with the image.?

?Neither is a Force cell. But here I am.? He stared at the dismal spaces between the bars, and after a moment, wiped at his mouth. ?Why are you here? The Jedi didn?t miraculously sprout brains and decide to throw you down here, too??

Qui-Gon gave a soft snort. ?Actually, I came down here to speak to you about something. But then I found you tossing and screaming. I didn?t think you had nightmares anymore.?

He couldn?t deny it. Begrudgingly, ?It?s this place.?

?Perhaps,? Qui-Gon conceded, ?It was at the Temple that you had those fierce night terrors, you?ll recall. You never told me what they were about.?

?Those were Kenobi?s dreams. I don?t know what they were about.? He drew his knees up to his chest. Obviously the Jedi cared so little for the failures, disappointments and embarrassments that found themselves marooned in the Cells that they neglected to spend the sparse amount of credits to heat it. Damnable hells, but he hated being cold.

?Hm. I suppose you wouldn?t.? The voice sounded unconvinced. ?What about the one just now? You looked agonized by it; surely you must remember.?

He raised an eyebrow. ?Since when did the Jedi go from wanting to smash in my head to wanting to shrink it??

?It isn?t the Jedi. It?s me, Obi-Wan.? Qui-Gon sat on the edge of the cot. ?I want to know what happened to you.?

He just smirked and looked away from the feigned compassion held on the bearded face. ?I?ve been all over the galaxy. And I?ve learned that the beings that move closest to you, who sit beside you and pretend to understand, are the ones holding the sharpest blade. And the ones intending to use it.?

Qui-Gon was staring at him, or, trying to stare {i]through[/i] him. ?Do you think I have similar plans??

His eyes traveled to the saber hanging from the Master?s belt. ?You?re a Jedi, I?m a Sith. You?re armed, while I, obviously, am not. I haven?t the Force to call upon, either.?

Qui-Gon smiled, but it only reached one corner of his mouth. ?In a few minutes, neither will I. I am not immune to the effects of this cell. I came in here because you were in distress. And if this,? he unclipped his saber, ?causes you distress, distracts you from what I must ask, what I must tell you, then I have a solution for it.?

He watched as Jinn keyed open the door long enough to place the silver cylinder on the splotched gray floor outside the cell. The man smoothed out his tunics before sitting down again.

?A Jedi is never to willingly be separated from their lightsaber. I am not here as a Jedi confronting a Sith.? Qui-Gon slid down the cot, until their eyes were not far apart. ?Obi-Wan, I see you. I see the mistakes I?ve made. And I want you?I {i]need[/i] you to know, that I tried to fix them. I came to my senses. Obi-Wan, please,? He paused, eyes falling, throat moving slightly as he swallowed, ?Let me tell you what happened. Tell me what happened to you. I cannot accept that you are lost to a twisted Master, who has deserted you to a perceived enemy.?

He snatched up Qui-Gon?s collar with a snarl. ?I have NOT been deserted. Not by my Master. You are the one who twists things.? He dragged the man closer, pressing his nails into fabric, into flesh, ?You think you can taunt me and deceive me, but my Master has taught me better. I won?t tell you a single damn thing.?

15. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Ensemble

Empire of Alderaan by PonyTricks

The captain of the Falcon stood up when a warning signal sounded. "We're coming up on Alderaan." He looked pointedly at Obi-Wan Kenobi. "Where do you suggest we land?"

"On the ground, of course," the old Jedi responded, frowning at Solo.

"I think Han's asking for an exact location where to land," Luke explained helpfully. "You know...where the Rebels are hiding?"

"There are Rebels on Alderaan?" Obi-Wan asked, surprised.

Leia groaned, slapping her forehead. "We're never going to find the stupid Rebellion at this rate."

"We shall land in the very center of Aldera!" Obi-Wan cried out, pointing his index finger toward the ceiling. "Then the Rebels shall locate us, instead of the other way around."

"How's that gonna happen?" Han questioned sarcastically. "Are we gonna take out a holo-ad tellin' them we've arrived?"

Obi-Wan gave a wide smile. "That's a very good idea, son."

"It's a kriffing terrible idea," Leia shot back. "My... I mean the Organa Palace is in the very center of Aldera, anyway. So how can we possibly land there?"

"Well, don't get snippy with me, young lady," Obi-Wan chastised. "I only came along because it sounded like fun. Now I'm suddenly supposed to start making all the decisions? Since when did you die and I get put in charge?"

"That doesn't even make any sense," Leia said through gritted teeth.

Han flung up his hands in exasperation. "Will someone please tell me where to land?"

"I suggest the main spaceport on Aldera, on the outskirts of town," Threepio piped up. "It would seem to me that would attract the least amount of attention."

"That's what I said," Obi-Wan said petulantly. "The main spaceport on Aldera. No one listens to me."

Luke stared in wide-eyed wonder at the greenery and beautiful homes in the city of Aldera. "Wow.... I never knew anyplace could be this wonderful. Even the air is moist!" He patted his face with his palms. "I can feel my cheeks plumping up already."

"Now where?" Han questioned Leia.

"Ask him," Leia responded, pointing to the old Jedi. "He's the brains."

"Me?" Obi-Wan said, pleased. "Brains Kenobi. I like the sound of that." Obi-Wan tapped his chin as he considered. "Let's go to the Palace. I've always been fond of Palaces."

"We can't!" Leia cried out.

"Why ever not?"

"There are no Rebels in the Palace," Leia said, desperately trying to derail this idea. "Rebels live in caves. Or abandoned warehouses."

Luke gazed around at the well-kept buildings. "I don't see any abandoned warehouses."

"That's because they're at the water docks," Leia explained, looking to Winter to back her up. Winter just shrugged.

"Nonsense!" Obi-Wan roared out. "I'm the brains of this here operation, and I say we sneak into the Palace."

"Sneak? How?" Han asked.

"We shall all get costumes and pretend we are a traveling vaudeville show. Royalty loves to be entertained by the little people. Anakin, you shall juggle, Captain Solo and the Wookiee will do a comedy skit and the girls will hoochie coochie dance. I'd like to see that, anyway."

"Juggle?" Luke questioned. "I've never juggled in my life. I'm not too sure I can do that."

"Do or do not!" Obi-Wan declared. "There is no try!"

"You want us to all make fools out of ourselves?" Han questioned. "What kind of plan is that?"

"Who's the more foolish? The foolish follower fool, or the foolish fool fugleman?" Obi-Wan wanted to know. "But since you asked, I shall be a sword-swallower, since I already have a sword." He patted the hilt of his trusty lightsaber.

"Gee," Luke said in concern. "That sounds dangerous. Have you ever swallowed a lightsaber before?"

"I can't recall," Obi-Wan admitted. "But there's a first time for everything."

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/24430155/p1]The Edge of the Darkness [/link] by Soud

16. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Author

dianethx

Naming Ben

A/N: A side story in the Betrayal universe

"He's beautiful."

Still exhausted from the last few hours, Le'orath Jinn smiled up into the worried eyes of her husband, and then down to the newborn babe suckling at her breast. Her son had finally settled into a milky half-sleep but he was still drowsily pushing at her, tiny fingers opening and closing against her skin. "Yes, he's perfect, just like his father."

For a moment, Qui-Gon had the audacity to look inordinately pleased at her calm declaration. Leaning back, his mouth quirking amusement as he gazed down at her and his new son, he seemed to be struggling with his emotions, such raw joy and intensity in his face. This was a great moment in his life, she knew, and one he had never expected to have. It was almost as if he didn't know what to do.

But a heartbeat later, he must have realized that she was teasing him, as she did whenever he grew too solemn for his own good.

It was something that had developed between them over the years - the subtle jokes and heartfelt concerns that reminded him, reminded both of them that love is more than just sunlight and happy moments, that it is a sharing of a life filled with good times and bad and to be embraced in all its complexity. Compromise and acceptance that their viewpoints might not always agree had only made them stronger in their love.

And he knew it. Suppressing a wicked grin, he deliberately put on that solemn, concerned husbandly face that she loved so much, all seriousness and diplomatic reserve. But he made no attempt to hide the impish gleam in his eyes. "That isn't what you told me a few hours ago, Le'. Then, you swore never to let me near you again, that you were going home without me. That if I touched you one more time, you'd tear my arms off and shove them down my throat."

She chuckled softly, trying not to wake the child. "That's what all women say in the throes of childbirth. I thought the Healer had explained it all to you in the birthing room."

Turning slightly, he brushed his hand against her cheek, a soft caress. "I didn't believe her at the time. Besides, I was worried about you. You were in such pain."

He stared into her eyes, his anxiety clear beneath the smiles. Childbirth was harrowing and could be dangerous at times but she had accepted the risks just as he had accepted her need for a child. That he did not speak of his own need for family was just like him, so contained and quiet but with a passionate heart underneath that stoic exterior.

Trying to reassure him, she leaned into his touch and, then with a sultry smile, she caught at his hand. Twisting it slightly, she leaned down and kissed his palm. His sharp hiss spoke of desire and relief that he still had her heart even after the agony of bearing his son.

Foolish gundark. He could be so vulnerable at times, especially when those he loved were in pain. How could he not see that he was everything to her, even when she was yelling at him?

"It's normal to be in pain, Qui-Gon. That's part of the price I was willing to pay to have our son. I expected to be a bit... brusque with you during delivery."

Letting go of his hand, she feathered her fingers across the baby's downy head. His hair was longer than she had expected and red. And he was theirs, with her fiery hair and his father's eyes. A gift of joy and family.

"You were wonderful." From the delight on his beloved face, she could see that he was not teasing her. He meant every word.

Shaking her head at his willingness to ignore reality, she pointed out, "I was a mess, screaming my head off and threatening my husband." Catching at his tunic, she pulled him close and breathed a kiss into his mouth. "Whom I love very much."

His blue eyes steady on hers, he reached down with his hands, smoothing her hair, whiski

17. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Author

VA_Parky

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/user.asp?usr=Exeter]Exeter[/link]

18. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best New Author

Amrita_Glittersong

Deceptions

'Not good.' Obi-Wan thought as he followed Dooku down the hall, trying to keep up with the much taller Sith. They were rushing through the fortress towards the reception hall, which, when Dooku had told him of their destination, had prompted Obi-Wan to ask why a secret Sith fortress needed a reception hall. Dooku had found the question very amusing and admitted he didn't have an answer.

But now neither of them were speaking, as even their usual dry humor had failed them. Obi-Wan was pointedly reminding himself that a Jedi didn't feel fear, no matter if they were on their way to meet a Sith Master that would probably find out they were a spy and kill them. No reason to be apprehensive about that, after all.

He didn't think Dooku was too pleased with the entire thing either, as if Sidious found out that Obi-Wan was only faking being a Sith, then surely he would realize Dooku was in on it. Then they would both be in a very bad situation, which Obi-Wan had yet to come up with a solution to besides, 'fight him and hope we win.'

The only bit of hope was that Sidious was indeed as dense as he'd acted in the cafe when they'd first met, and didn't see through their lies again. Obi-Wan thought that was unlikely; he wondered if Sidious had just been drunk or something their last meeting.

Reaching out carefully with the Force to see how much farther they had to go, he realized they had almost reached Sidious already; the air felt heavy, and the Force was whispering soft warnings to him that he ignored, albeit with a bit of effort. He was also vaguely amused to realize that all four Acolytes were together in the same room, as far away from the reception hall as they could get. "Your Acolytes are hiding." He commented, breaking the silence.

"They do that." Dooku said without looking back, in a tone that was an odd mix of amusement and resigned dismay. "At least it keeps them from doing anything foolish in front of him. Ventress is the only one brazen enough to speak to him directly, though I suppose her nerve has failed her today."

"Can my nerve fail me as well?" Obi-Wan asked, earning a glance back from Dooku, who seemed amused.

"My apologies, Obi-Wan, but you're going to have to be brave." The Sith responded. "And then you may lord it over the Acolytes."

"And that will make it worth it." Obi-Wan said, quite obviously believing the exact opposite. "Dooku, is there anything I should know before we get ourselves killed?"

"You're so optimistic." Dooku commented, stopping walking and turning back towards his apprentice. "However, yes. First and most importantly, try not to be sarcastic."

Obi-Wan raised his eyebrows. "Why would I ever be sarcastic?" He asked, his tone perfectly sincere.

"Your guess is as good as mine." Dooku said, playing along and shrugging elegantly before continuing. "In addition to quelling the sarcasm and biting comments for a short time, you might do well to simply not say anything if you can help it. Certainly don't talk unless he speaks to you directly."

"I wasn't planning on making small talk." Obi-Wan responded, crossing his arms and wishing for a moment he had his Jedi robes, so he could stick his hands in the sleeves.

Dooku nodded in response, not really listening as he was apparently thinking about what else to add. "Oh, and bowing isn't proper enough." He said after a moment. "You'll be expected to kneel."

"Must I?" Obi-Wan asked, with more than a hint of exasperation.

"Yes, Obi-Wan." Dooku responded, slightly amused at the Knight's tone. "Sith couldn't settle for simply bowing, after all; that would be far too Jedi-like."

Obi-Wan sighed and had to resist the urge to roll his eyes. "And we mustn't have that."

"Of course not." Dooku agreed amiably before continuing. "Simply be respectful

19. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best New Author cont'd

Rhodna

20. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Collaborative

Fanfiction! The Musical by LannakinsFavorish (MsLanna, AnakinsFavorite, and DarthIshtar respectively)

These are our favorite clips. In the first one, it is revealed what truly happens during a banning- all to the music of Queen?s ?Bohemian Rhapsody.? Next, the n00b is integrated into the Social Thread with a spoof of ?Summer Nights.? Lastly, we have the Monty Python spoof of a battle against DWB.

MEN:

Is this DRL? is this fangirltasy
    Caught by a cliffie?
    No escape from MODality-
    Open PM?S,
    Look to FAQ?S and seeeee?

DARTH_MU:

I?m just a poor N00b?

MEN:

Poor N00b?

DARTH_MU:

I need no readers, see,
    My stories are

WOMEN:

Easy come?

MEN:

Easy go?

WOMEN:

Little high

MEN:

Little low

DARTH_MU & MEN:

Spam me where the readers go
    Doesn?t really matter to meeee?.

DARTH_MU looks up at the MODS who merely look at him.

Then, the ?dancing? begins. It is basically clumsy side-steps that have no rhythm and cause more than one unfortunate person to stumble into a set piece or into the orchestra pit.

On cue from ANAKINSFAVORITE, they all begin to do jazz fingers (which is as stupid as it sounds and is basically the waggling of fingers in a dramatic way).

DARTH_MU:

To me?

Moderators, just flamed a man
    Put a warning in his Thread
    Posted it and now he?s mad.

MODESS, my story'd just begun?
    But now I?ve gone and gotten banned today?

MODS, ooohhhhh!
    Didn?t mean to make you try
    To make sure I?m not back this time tomorrow!
    Carry on! Carry on?
    My stories don't really matter.

Too late, my post's now come and gone
    Send hatemail and PM?s,
    Tired of getting blamed to no end?

Goodbye, all my readers-
    I?ve got to log off?
    Gotta leave you all behind with no more posts.
    MODS, ooohhh!

MEN:

Way the Boards go?

DARTH_MU:

Don?t want to log off,
    Sometimes wish I?d never joined at all!

~*~*~*~*~*~

WHISKERS: So, how did you get into fanfic? How?d you get here?

Immediately, DARTHISHTAR starts playing a familiar intro. N00B7, taken aback by how DARTHISHTAR seems to anticipate everything, shrugs.

NOOB07: Well, let me tell you more...

FANFIC NIGHTS (To the tune of "Summer Nights" from Grease)

Everyone is swaying from side to side and occasionally doing jazz hands as the music progresses.

N00B7:

Fanfic writing had me a blast
    Fanfic writing addicted me fast
    Saw the OT and then the PT
    Saw some Jedi cute as can be
    Fanfic days, dragging away, to uh-oh those fanfic nights

THE TOWEL BRIGADE: (They crowd in, listening avidly. Behind them, the girls are getting intrigued and coming along to do the grapevine during the choruses. They are halfway successful this time.)

Uh Well-a well-a well-a huh
    Tell us more, tell us more

WYO:

Is your writing sub-par?

THE HOSTESSES:

Tell us more, tell us more

MSLANNA:

Do you like Yomin Carr?

EVERYONE:

Uh-huh uh-huh uh-huh uh-huh

N00B7 stands and starts side-stepping and swaying with the music.

N00B7:

Got plot bunnies, couldn?t resist
    Got some ideas with some plot twists
    I tried my hand at writing around
    I showed off, AUing around.
    Fanfic sun, something?s begun, but uh-oh those fanfic nights

~*~*~*~*~*~

First in the group is OQIDAUN followed by CORRELLIAN_ALE who is swinging around some incense.

JEDI-ANT: Yes, of course! The Holy Hand Grenade of Spam-A-Lot! 'Tis one of the expensive relics MOD OQIDAUN carries with HER.

MEN: TOS VIOLATION? They then hit their heads with the FAQS BOOK. TOS VIOLATION? Hit?

OQIDAUN: CONSULT THE BOOK OF ARMAMENTS!

CORRELLIAN_ALE begins to swing the incense about even faster as 1YODIUMUS_PRIME stumbles forward with a book that is about as big as he.

1YODIMUS_PRIME: ARMAMENTS, chapter two, verses

21. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Collaborative

Reincarnation by dtdang2 & ROTSFan

The grasses crushed relentlessly beneath Vader's boot heel as he surged forward, the team of storm troopers obediently following with weapons at the ready. A planet, a forest full of lush green life surrounded them, on this beautiful day that would know only casualties. Vader's four man fire team were split up; two with him to cover, two to find the Rebels. His comm sounded, "Lord Vader, we've pinpointed their location. Your one o'clock, approximately fifty meters. We're two mike away. Do you want us to proceed."

"Yes commander. We will meet up with you at their location and surround them from the sides. Good work."

"Copy," he said, and the transmission ended.

There was only so much stealth Vader could accomplish with his breathing apparatus; he made the most of it. He walked steadily, storm troopers to his front, and within minutes was able to see the Rebels. They were heading in a direction lateral to his, and had not heard or seen his team. He gave his leader the definitive hand gesture. Now.

It is time, Anakin. Go, now. Qui-Gon's voice. You must move quickly.

"Halt," storm trooper one stated firmly, holding up his weapon. The Rebel troops froze; their team leader visibly flinched, before they reflexively brought their own weapons up. It was immediately clear this would be an aggressive negotiation. Vader sprung to action and leapt to the forefront, his saber hissing to life as he deflected their rapid fire. He covered his troops with quick actions to the sides, to the top and bottom, holding off the Rebel fire before it ever became a threat. His team obediently stood to his sides, blasters at the ready but ordered not to fire.

Vader heard the ominous shhk-shhk of the blaster barrels from the other half of his fire team; they had arrived, unbeknownst to the Rebels, at their rear and now held blasters to the back of their heads. The Rebel fire ceased, and one at a time they stood slowly, first dropping their weapons before putting their hands obediently on the back of their heads. Vader's saber remained ignited, now the only sound in the otherwise silent forest.

They were escorted slowly to where Vader stood and as standard precaution searched by his troops for additional weapons; none were found. The Rebels looked defeated, resigned, and the expressions on their face indicated to him they clearly expected imminent death if not worse.

What Vader did next was something no one would have ever expected.

The deadly hum of his lightsaber filled the forest as he spun, in a blaze of red light, striking down the storm troopers who stood protectively beside him. Their bodies crumpled slowly to the forest floor. The storm troopers apprehending the Rebels barely had time to react before they, too, were targeted, one by a strike with a thrown lightsaber, the other by a deadly Force push as Vader extended his right palm.

All four white bodies lay uselessly as the saber returned to Vader's hand; he looked at them and silently apologized for betraying their obedience. He had no other choice.

The Rebels hands slowly, tentatively lowered to their sides and they stilled, not fully comprehending what they had seen. No sense could be made of it.

Vader turned his lightsaber off; it sounded with a hiss at it retracted back into its hilt. Then he took a step forward before placing it into the hands of the disbelieving Rebel leader and uttering the words they never thought they would hear.

"I surrender."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anakin rationalized the younglings had died a quick and painless death, that they were orphans like he?d been and he was really doing them a favor by allowing them to join the Force that much sooner. That, like so many other deeds, was just another excuse he'd made; a justification, an evil means to an end.

"Nobody's promising it will be easy, Anakin." Padme sai

22. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Congratulations! You've made it through all the excerpts for the 2007 Saga FFA. We hope you enjoyed what you read and it helped you decided how you're going to vote. Remember voting starts on July 16th and runs through July 26th. Make sure you're registered to participate if you haven't already.

Best of luck to all the authors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.