main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards 2008 Fanfic Awards Information Thread & FAQ

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by amidalachick, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Ahhh, summer. Sunny days, warm nights, and....fanfic awards!

Yes, it is awards season again. And they're going to be great. :D Please join me in congratulating and welcoming our wonderful Lt. Overseer and lovely hostesses:

Lt. Overseer: BigFatty

Before the Saga: Lola64
    Saga: KrystalBlaze
    Beyond the Saga: LilyHobbitJedi
    Entertainment Host: NYCitygurl

After discussion with the hostesses about schedules, the 2008 Awards Order of Events will be as follows:

Saga Awards
    Nominations: June 8-June 18
    Excerpt Submission: June 22-July 2
    Voting: July 6-July 15
    Ceremony: July 19

Beyond the Saga Awards
    Nominations: June 15-June 25
    Excerpt Submission: June 29-July 9
    Voting: July 13-July 22
    Ceremony: July 26

Before the Saga Awards
    Nominations: June 22-July 2
    Excerpt Submission: July 6-July 16
    Voting: July 20-July 29
    Ceremony: August 2

Important Information

Eligibility Dates

Stories eligible for nomination include:

- stories begun between June 1, 2007 and May 31, 2008
    - stories with a new post falling between June 1, 2007 and May 31, 2008

New Authors:

To be eligible for the New Author award, authors must have posted their first story post in any era between June 1, 2007 and May 31, 2008.

Stories/authors ineligible for nomination include:

- Stories that have won the same award in a previous awards season, for the same story or the same character (see the Fanfic Index for a detailed list of all previous winners)
    - Reposts of any story beginning outside the eligibility dates
    - Authors who have already won the "Best Author" award

Award Categories

The following is the list of eligible awards for the 2008 Awards season.

Genre

Best Alternate Universe
    Best Canon
    Best Action
    Best Drama
    Best Romance
    Best Humour
    Best All Around (at least one scene of each genre - romance, action, drama, humor)

Style

Most Underrated (a story that averages 6 or less readers per post)
    Best Response To A Challenge
    Best Songfic
    Best Poem
    Best Crossover (a story that mixes Star Wars with another movie, tv series or book)
    Best Short Story (multiple posts and 30,000 words or less)
    Best Epic (over 30,000 words)
    Best Vignette (1 post only)
    Best Series

Character

Best Canon Interpretation, Male
    Best Canon Interpretation, Female
    Best Original Character, Male
    Best Original Character, Female
    Best Non-Human
    Best Child (for characters under the age of thirteen, either canon or original)
    Best Villain
    Best Ensemble Cast

Author

Best Author
    Best New Author (must have started first story in any era between June 1, 2007 to May 31, 2008. Does not include socks of a different, established user.)
    Best Collaborative (Multi-author or round-robin)

Voter Registration

To prevent sock voting, we require that everyone register to participate. If you registered last year, you DO NOT need to register again. If you have not registered before, go to The Voter Registration Thread for easy instructions on how to do it.

[b][hl=tan][color=darkorchid]Noms, Excerpts, & Voting: The Rules[/hl][/color][/b]

The following are the detailed rules for nominating, sending excerpts, and voting.

[b]Rules For Nomination[/b]:

1. Any story that has won in a previous awards ceremony is ineligible for the category/ies it has been awarded in for this and future awards. Please see the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/f/b1/27588770]Fan Fiction Index[/link] for a list of past winners.

2. Any author who has won in the "Author" or "New Author" category cannot win in that category again. "New Author" is anyone who has posted (begun) their first story between June 1, 2007 through May 31, 2008.

3. Hosts are ineligible for

2. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Oooh...

Ahhhh...

Big thanks to everyone volunteering this year! =D=

3. Etain

Etain Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 2008
    Yes!
    And I will even manage to get the last votes in before I go on my two-week holiday![face_dancing]
    This will be SO much fun. can't wait.
    Already, big thanks to everybody helping. You're the best. [:D]

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    For best canon male and canon female, can the male or female be from a different universe if it's a cross-over? For example, if it was SW/ST, could Captain Kirk be considered a canon male?

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Also, this was a question that was answered in a different forum by VaderLVR64, but I don't know if it's still the same answer:

Pink 5 is a fanfilm character who appeared in a canon book by Timothy Zahn. So Stacey is technically some level of a canon character and MamaV said that she would be considered as such come awards.

So if Stacey were nominated as Best Interpretation of a Canon Character, Female, she would be eligible, right?

6. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    However, Stacey is still in the SW universe where Captain Kirk is not. I'd understand about Stacey.... but not so sure about Kirk, hence my question.

7. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Diane: For best canon male and canon female, can the male or female be from a different universe if it's a cross-over? For example, if it was SW/ST, could Captain Kirk be considered a canon male?

No, sorry. Only Star Wars characters are eligible for canon male/female.

Ish: Pink 5 is a fanfilm character who appeared in a canon book by Timothy Zahn. So Stacey is technically some level of a canon character and MamaV said that she would be considered as such come awards.

So if Stacey were nominated as Best Interpretation of a Canon Character, Female, she would be eligible, right?

Yes. Since she was in Allegiance, she is considered canon.

8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Also, if we volunteered and haven't heard back yet, should we assume we were rejected?

9. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Saga noms start today, right?

Do we send them to KrystalBlaze or there will be a special sock for that, like past years?

10. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Yes, Saga noms begin today. As long as you're registered to participate (if you're not, or are unsure, click here) you can send your noms to SagaFanficAwards. Noms, excerpts and votes should always be sent to the awards sock, not to any of the volunteers personally.

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Great. Thanks for the answer.

12. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    For those of you who didn't see this, Lazy came up with a very helpful tool to make nominating easier. :D

13. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    FYI -

1) - #11 for nominations contradicts using Knight_Dilletante's templete. It might be a good idea to change #11 to reflect how you want the noms sent - using the { or using a break after the [.

2) I think we need a link for sending the noms. I know you said to use SagaFanficAwards for the Saga noms but there's no link to PM.

14. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    2) -- Does this help? :)

I sent in my noms today. I used the {link] format.

15. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    LOL, I finally figured out how to send them but it took me a while. [face_blush]

16. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Thanks!

17. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    1) - #11 for nominations contradicts using Knight_Dilletante's templete. It might be a good idea to change #11 to reflect how you want the noms sent - using the { or using a break after the [.

:oops: I've fixed that. I don't know how I missed it; thank you for pointing that out.

Thank you to Alexis and Idrelle for posting those links! [:D] I have added links for all 3 era socks, and also the link for the Help Desk.

18. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
  19. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Will there be stickies in each of the eras alerting everyone to the awards nominations and voting? Just a thought from previous years. :)

20. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Will there be stickies in each of the eras alerting everyone to the awards nominations and voting?

I was just thinking about that. Yes, there probably will be. :)

21. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Uppy, 'cause I had trouble finding this. [face_mischief]

22. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
  23. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Is there going to be a sticky in Beyond to help notify people about noms and the awards, like there is in Saga? :)

24. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Yes. I meant to do that today, actually. [face_blush]

EDIT: It's posted now. :)

25. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I've been around for about 2.5 years now and still don't understand the award category for most underrated. I understand that the story has to have six or fewer responses, but how is it possible that withing a day or two of noms opening that the 4-5 stories qualify immediately. If a story is so little known, how does it qualify so fast?

I guess I just don't get the the category.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.