main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards 2008 Post-Fanfic Awards Survey - Results posted!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by amidalachick, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Hijacking this thread for a moment - apologies, Captain America.

A few of you mentioned NSWFF. The NSWFF mods already talked about this back before we opened the new forum. We will not be hosting Awards there, partly because of the drama involved, and partly because they're procedurally much more difficult to do. Even adding a couple of categories to the regular Fan Fic Awards gets complicated.

If we have a separate discussion thread for the survey, I'm happy to explain further, but for now I don't want to derail this thread.

"Back to you, Bob!"

2. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    [tangent]I have always liked the name "Bob".[/tangent]

Oops, I guess I missed those. [face_blush] I would say that excerpts & author's notes should be held to the same standard for markups. It can probably be put into the excerpt rules for next year that the only markups allowed in excerpts & author notes are bolds/italics/underlines.

We will most likely be having a discussion after this survey, so if anyone has specific questions about this year's awards process, please feel free to post them then or PM me (just so that this thread doesn't get cluttered).

Also, a reminder that you have until midnight board time Monday to submit your answers! All feedback is appreciated. :)

3. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    1. Should OCs be eligible to win a category multiple times in different stories?

a) Yes

2. Should a minimum character count be required for a story to be eligible for Best Ensemble?

a) Yes

3. If you answered yes on question 2, what do you think the minimum number of characters should be?

c) 4+

4. Overall, how would you rate these awards on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 1 being poor, 5 being good, and 10 being excellent)?

5. Why did you give that answer?

I felt that things ran very smoothly. I only attended one ceremony (Saga) and then rushed in after everything was over in Beyond ( :p ), but I found both were very entertaining and I think everything was pulled off very well.

6. What is ONE thing you would change for next year's awards?

As has been mentioned before, I think we need to find a new system for noms, something that would work smoother and be less hectic for the volunteers. I've never volunteered, but I can see how the current system can induce headaches. I also think that the number of noms required for a fic to qualify needs to be looked over, as there seemed to have been some problems in Saga (if I'm remembering correctly) where the number had to be lowered.

7. Do you think that a discussion where users would not be limited to one post should take place after this survey?

a) Yes

4. aurrasingrules101

aurrasingrules101 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2003
    1. Should OCs be eligible to win a category multiple times in different stories?

a) Yes

2. Should a minimum character count be required for a story to be eligible for Best Ensemble?

a) Yes

3. If you answered yes on question 2, what do you think the minimum number of characters should be?

d) 5+

4. Overall, how would you rate these awards on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 1 being poor, 5 being good, and 10 being excellent)?

I thought things were run very well, but nothing is perfect. ;)

Can't think of anything in particular...

7. Do you think that a discussion where users would not be limited to one post should take place after this survey?

a) Yes

5. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    And...we have our results! Thank you so much to everyone who has participated in this survey. Although we may not be able to implement every suggestion, your feedback is very much appreciated and will help in planning future awards. :)

a) Yes - 13
    b) No - 12
    c) abstain - 1

a) Yes - 15
    b) No - 9
    c) abstain - 2

a) 2+ - 1
    b) 3+ - 2
    c) 4+ - 3
    d) 5+ - 9
    e) I didn't answer yes on question 2 - 11
    f) abstain - 0

Average rating: 8.96 out of 10

7 - 2 votes
    8 - 4 votes
    8.5 - 2 votes
    9 - 10 votes
    10 - 8 votes

-The awards were organized and entertaining.
    -Atmosphere was one of warmth and hilarity
    -Wasn't perfect, but went smoothly
    -The one iffy spot I noticed was the number of noms required to qualify for the voting round.
    -Things fairly good, process itself could still use revision
    -little room for improvement
    -awards just and fair
    -There's always room for improvement. Well, Saga started out pretty rocky, which is one of my only complaints. Maybe next year, a contingency plan could be created that if something happens where hosts aren't around for whatever reason, the Overseer/Lt.Overseer steps in and starts the process.
    -Overall I think the awards work well...but should try to advertise more & increase awards participation, especially among newer users and people who don't frequent Resource
    -thought things went smoothly on both sides of the process
    -The only thing (I stress only) that got to me was the discrepancy in the ceremony lengths - Saga was about three hours if I recall correctly, whereas Before was five and a half. I don't mean to lay blame at all - the ceremonies depend entirely on the circumstances of the volunteers at the time, right down to things like the speed of their Internet connection and how fast they can type - but it was just something that struck me.
    -felt that things went smoothly & ceremonies were entertaining
    -thought things were run very well, but nothing is perfect

-Split Best Child into male and female categories
    -Can't think of anything to change
    -Revisit the number of nominations that stories need to qualify
    -Lower the number of noms needed back to 3 for all eras
    -Automate nominations & votes
    -Automatically generate a list of eligible stories for all eras & post it in a 'pre-nomination' thread
    -Don't overlook volunteers
    -Require a certain number of yearly updates for long-running stories
    -Change voting rules to allow authors to vote for themselves
    -Add a new category ("Best Cliff-hanger" or possibly a 'goof' award, like "Most Improved on Frequency of Updates")
    -Surveys that try to limit people to offering input on ONE thing only.
    -Don't add any more categories
    -Broken formatted nominations. I understand the logic behind the request but don't agree with it. I find it more time consuming fixing them so you can check them than it is to add a column to the spreadsheet for the verified link to be pasted and then transferred to the Master Nomination List. IMO anyway.
    -Increase participation

a) Yes - 16
    b) No - 6
    c) abstain - 4

Since you have voted for further discussion, that thread will be posted shortly. Thank you again to everyone for making this a great awards season! [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.