main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion [2009 Resolutions] How did you do?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by NYCitygurl, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    This thread was fun last year, so I figured I'd do it again - I like seeing if people accomplished their goals :D

This is last year's thread - check out what goals you posted, repost them here, and tell us whether you did them!!

Note - this isn't a thread for 2010 goals; there's a seperate thread for that :D

2. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    I didn't do very well at all this year. Urgh.

The only goal I met, I met right before the year ended and it was to write some characters I was unfamiliar with. :p

3. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I did pathetically and completely failed every single goal. Again. It seems to be a yearly tradition. :p

1. Finish This Time Around *crosses fingers*

Aaah... nope. 300,000 words and nowhere near done yet. Yipee. :p

2. Finish The Wizards' School in the early part of the year and start on its sequel

Sadly abandoned now. :( The story got lost and I decided not to go and find it.

3. Participate in more challenges

I signed up for a couple of challenges, but never finished my stories for them. The only one I did successfully get through was the most recent Holiday gift-exchange.

4. Start re-writing one of the fics I abandoned this year and want to return to

Nope. Haven't even dug them out of hiding. :p

5. Actually keep the resolutions above

Evidently not. 8-}

Here's hoping that 2010 will finally be the year where I finally finish This Time Around... 8-} Like has been planned for the past four years in a row.

4. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I had a lot last year 8-}

1. Complete my Before drabbles on time

Yep :D

2. Complete the drabbles I started for the first challenge

Yep :D Though I technically finished in 2008, I just posted the goal a few days too early :p

3. Completely finish writing the sequel to Halcyon Fire and have at least part of it posted

Err . . . no [face_blush] It went on a major hiatus.

4. Finish my 2009 Diary challenge on time and in the timeframe

I technicaly wrote all of it in the timeframe, so let's say yes :p

5. Pay more attention to Beta index and be more timely with getting interviews up

No - the last couple weeks with interviews don't count, and I dropped the beta index for lack of time.

6. To read the updates for stories I request PMs for within a week

I have one sitting in there from May 8-}

7. Take that Beyond bunny I have and get at least halfway through

I wrote about 5 words, and there's a good chance it won't go anywhere.

8. Write another short story in Before

No, but I did do a Beyond short story.

9. Spend more time reading (at least one vignette or chapter a day). Also, catch up on completed stories I've missed.

Nope.

10. Finish Diary of a Stupid Cupid since I hate abandoning stories

Long dead - it won't be finished.

11. Participate in at least one challenge a month (not including the Dear Diary challenge).

Yes, but I didn't end up liking this one. Instead of inspiring me to write more, I ended up turning out stuff I wasn't satisfied with on the last day just to fit the challenge.

4/11 is . . . not that good 8-}

5. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    So... let's see...

1. Watch everyone else take over the world.

This was sarcasm. :p

2. Write the back story for Small Comfort.

Working on that...

3. Um... write more.

Actually wrote LESS, but that wasn't intentional.

4. Write a boards version of the Wave Ranger back story for the NSWFF.

Did it for the diary challenge...

5. Try to tackle a Before Era story. (I know... don't try. Do.)

Haven't done that yet.

6. Take part in NaNoWriMo.

Sadly, I had a history paper due and had writers block at the same time. Maybe next year.

7. Continue "So they met in a bar"... and finish it.

Still working on it.

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Uh oh... this may be pretty bad.

1. Finish I Do, Promise- it's been on going for a year now and it needs to finish sooner rather than later
    Yep! I did do that! :D

2. Finish a major challenge (something like drabbles, Dear Diary or anything else that may come up)
    Um... no. I didn't finish drabbles or my Diary's. :(

3. Write an entire multi chaptered fic and finish it before posting it!
    I did work on that and was well on my way when my computer crashed and I didn't have it backed up, a lesson I certainly learned. I'll give myself half credit.

4. Work on some of my old WIP's that haven't been touched in a while
    Yes I did. I didn't get anything new posted on them but I did work on them.

5. Respond to stories that I have ask PM for in a timely fashion!
    I started out so well on this but then I really didn't do so well. I have some really old PM's in my box that still need to be read.

6. Do better on NaNo than I did this year (and hopefully win).
    Yep! I did tons better than I did the previous year. I didn't win but I did much better!

3.5 out of 6 isn't too bad!

7. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I actually completed one story. I hope to continue doing just that. I would say that's been my major one for years. :p

8. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    This always looks so bad.:oops:

1) Keep my weekly diary updates until the year is over or I finish.
    Still far from finished, though.

2) Finish somehting old. I, Boba, or Human Cyborg Relations
    I still want to do that...

3) Finish something before I start something new
    Epic fail

4) More Mando Poetry
    I wrote a few more poems. And I started a sereis of notes. But that's not fanfic...

5) Kill myself if I try to do the UDC in poetry again
    I didn't try, so no need to kill myself. Yay!:D

6) Win another NaNo
    I tried.

7) Finish the draft of this year's NaNo and maybe get some way with turning it into a proper novel
    I have a week of holiday with my coauthor planned, though....

8) More Theta Squad stories
    I think I wrote some. Not enough by far, though.:(

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Hey, half isn't bad at all, especially on a longer list :D

10. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Lemme see:

1 - Write less - or rather, focus my writing rather than diversifying so much. In other words - don't write fifteen multi-chaptered stories in five separate fandoms at once; focus on one (but no more than two) in each.

Yup, succeeded. I?m only writing a couple of multi-chaptered stories, but they?re real doozies and I?m not spreading myself so thin. So this one is a check!

2 - Finish "Hand of Fate" - it's not that far off, but far enough I won't get it finished before the end of 2008

Finished by the end of 2009 *laughs* but yeah ? it?s finished ? yay! So this one is a check too!

3 - Finish writing "You'll Like Me When I'm Dead" - and post weekly once completed until story is done

Not even close ? we?re not even half way through yet? but the outline is almost done. :/

4 - Finish "A Star Too Far"

I finished my part, so I?m just waiting on my co-author? he doesn?t have as much time to write as I do. Editing, however, is another matter?

5 - Put up the rest of the "epics" I've finished here on my ff.net account.

Nope, not even close. I did do a few of them though.

6 - Publish the original novel a friend of mine and I wrote; and start book 2

Published? No. Book 2 was started and then dropped. So nope and nope. :(

7 - Overall, I just want to finish all of the WIPs I'm already working on before starting anything new.

As if I could ever keep this one! I have a horrible track record of starting new things before finishing my old. It would seem my muse isn?t content with just one project!

Nope, met a few of them, but not all, that?s for sure ? I sure has a lot of goals last year. I?ll need to focus them this year!

11. path-seeker

path-seeker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2008
    And interfere they did. I managed to do 3 and 5, and maybe 2... so 2.5/6. That's a failing grade. :(

12. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Hmmmm...

# Stick to a once-weekly post system for "The Way of the Sith," so that the fic will get finished posting by about July.
    Yes, it got done. No, not once-weekly. And not by July.

# Get back to "Vengeance," finish it, make it a reasonably short story, and get it done posting.
    ...Still working on that... and trying to do something about this LOTF AU kick I've been on...

# Finish my drabbles and try to be on time with them.
    Haha, dismal failure. [face_beatup]

# Edit my NaNo novel and post it on my LiveJournal.
    Still working on that. About the first fifth is edited, but that plot hole keeps getting bigger and bigger.

# Create a LJ for fanfic and original fic, so that other people can read my works and I can expand my writing a bit.
    I have one. I just haven't posted anything on it. Not for lack of stuff... But I actually do have to work on some of that other stuff, which I have lots of ideas for and just haven't written.

# Try not to let these goals interfere with my schoolwork.
    The schoolwork interfered with these goals. Again.

All in all, not that great...

13. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Since writing is my stress relief, I don't try to make it into a project that needs to be completed on time or anything like that. Writing, for ME, is all about fun. I write when I can, when the muse is generous and gives inspiration. When the muse is feeling vindictive and stingy, I don't write. Simple as that. I don't want to lose the joy I find in writing, and I found that getting worked up over finishing a chapter or a viggie just sort of sucked the happy right out of the process for me, so I stopped. :D

Now I don't put myself on a schedule for writing or let myself feel guilty if something I had hoped to accomplish in the writing arena remains undone. That's the only way I can stay sane. So, I guess I COULD say I did everything I wanted to do when it came to writing. :p

14. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    1. Finish writing, and start posting, "Braken Starblaster Destroys the Galaxy!"

Done and done. Finished posting it in fact.

2. Finish editing "The Other Side"

Not only done, but got it submitted and archived. :cool:

3. Start something else. Whatever, just something.

I like how vague this one is, because I can claim I succeeded. :p

HAHAHAHA YOU BELIEVED ME YOU FOOLS
    YOU HAVE NO IDEA THE PLANS ALREADY IN MOTION

15. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    My unspoken resolution for 2009 was to post something new at least once a month. That was a nice broad target that I liked and I met it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.