main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2011 Costume Projects and Wish Lists!

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Ktala, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Alright.

Its almost the New Year. So its that time again.
    What are folks working on for the New Year?

What Wish Lists have you complied this time around?

Time to get working.

:D

2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Oh lordy, don't remind me...

So 2011 Projects!

1. Finish my damn Royal Guard.

All that's left is sewing the outer robe and getting a forcepike.

2. Ember Island Player Katara

[image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090328124026/avatar/images/3/38/Actress_Katara.png]

AKA I have a ton of white fur laying around from my Queen of Hearts, so what else am I going to do with it?

3. Avatar Yangchen - Avatar: The Last Airbender

[image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/avatar/images/6/69/Yangchen_aang_001.jpg]

My friend wants to do Avatar Kyoshi, so I'm going to try and tackle Avatar Yangchen. The biggest challenge is that I need a half-wig AND bald-cap.

I'll probably also do more little fixes on my Queen of Hearts.

3. mcshinigami

mcshinigami Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2010
    I need to finish my Tusken Raider up. I just need to do the robes. Then I'm gonna apply for 501st.

After that I'm going to start a Twi'lek for my girlfriend. I'm not sure if I can get it completed by the end of the year though. It's gonna be a lot of work and failure and cost.

I'm also gonna work on some replica props. I haven't decided exactly what yet though. Hopefully I can rescuplt that Darth Nihilus mask I was working on and maybe work on a gun or a lighted arc reactor (put my electronics skills to use).

4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    So that time of the year again. In the last years I have tried more to do less costumes, but instead make sure to take my time with them, and spend more money on them.

I did the secret project, it was the
    [image=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/bandykullan/creations/398.jpg]
    CanCan trooper

The rest not so much, instead I chose to redo everything but the helmet and the flightsuit for my A-wing pilot and I made a new belt and styled a wig for my Leia.

2011 plans
    I have started on the tusken female
    [image=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/bandykullan/creations/IMG_1464.jpg]
    the underdress. I want to have it finished in the spring.

TPM Return to Naboo travel gown. I want to have it finished for 2012, but I'm going to start on it this year.

If time permits I want to redo my ANH Leia dress - the fabric is starting to look quite worn, and there is a thing planned for the end of the summer that would give me a chance to wear 17th century garb, so I'd love to have time for that as well. These last two are low priority though.

5. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    This is always the hardest list to come up with for me. I like having a list of things I need so it makes shopping easier, but then I get to the store and keep finding things that would be perfect if I were doing something not on my list.

So for now, a list of repairs/imcomplete projects:
  6. Hoth Leia boots - shaft stitched to shoes rather than glued, and snaps rather than velcro

7. Ceremonial Leia - taken in from a size 12 to a 6 (though I may just have to remake the whole blasted thing, but fortunately I have the spare tricot to do this with)

8. Deanna Troi purse - the plastic handle broke at Dragon Con and the magnetic clasp tore through the fabric

9. Skirted overcoat - I've started an assymetrical wool coat that needs to be finished this week

10. From there I'm hoping to select projects that I've purchased materials for, but we'll see how that actually works out. On the plus side, after my old serger died (parts no longer made for it), I got a new Elna 745 lock to polish all these projects with.

11. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    To be honest, with everything going on, the only costume I have planned is Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII. Got the fabric for the jacket and have a wig picked out, just need the money to get it. :p I'm pretty excited about it!

12. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Ehhh - I have not totally narrowed down my list for the year. There are some definite things I have to do though.

1) Secret Star Wars group project - has to be finished by either WonderCon in April or Comic-con in July. I want to shoot for April so I can get it out of the way, but it is a group thing so I may be dependent on others and their pace.

2) Barriss Offee - I decided a Jedi costume is well overdue for me. Padme just isn't in demand at all for events. But with the popularity of Clone Wars, Jedi are always asked for. I would like to make both the Animated and Movie version and have already started purchasing fabric. Goal - April WonderCon completion.

3) Bonnet and Cloak for 1860's dress - if not finished by the end of January, then by the end of November!

4) Secret group costume for Dragon Con - it is not complex at all, an a-line dress and a cap. That's it.

Can I get more than this done? We will see. I have so many things I'd like to make. I'd really like to make a can can costume for Dragon Con but it will take forever so it depends on how quickly I get my first few projects of the year completed. There is always the BSG flight suit on my list, TK armor, many Padme costumes, and Zam... I know there is more.

13. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    MK: I have a friend who can help you with the Guard, if you want.

mcshinigami : Don't forget that the Tusken also works for the Rebel Legion, as well.

My 2011 goals:

- Sandtrooper
    - Finish my Imperial Crew (85% complete)

Fix the following:

- Boots for my Hoth Rebel Trooper
    - Boots, blasters and holsters for my snowclone, and repaint as a full Commander Wolffe

After that, we'll see where the year takes me.

14. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Bill, I've got the people down here to help me finish it. It's just finding the motivation/finding a time when I'm not pissed at our local garrison and actually want to join. ;)

15. ms_makes-alot

ms_makes-alot Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2009
    I would like to do the light blue Tatooine midriff costume, Padme's Silk nightgown, and Galadriel's from LOTR Fellowship. I hope I can finish them all. ;)

16. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    I resolve to give it a go and make a Sith Lord form The Old Republic MMO for the game's launch. Hoping for a big media event here in Austin since the developer team is based here.

17. thomas230

thomas230 Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2010
    *I don't like Spam!!*

18. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I've got three main things I'd like to finish this year:

1. My Rebel pilot costume
    2. Zayne Carrick
    3. Senatorial Leia

I've got a wig and a mock-up for Zayne, and I need to add pockets to my flight suit/make the flak vest (which I am procrastinating because it looks like a PAIN). Zayne's belt is going to give me nightmares. But it will be worth it in the end!

Things I'd like to do if I have time/motivation/money:

1. Codex from The Guild (her in-game form)

[image=http://mydisguises.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/the-guild-codex.jpg]

2. Azuma from Yakitate!! Japan (seriously, it's a show about epic bread baking battles.)

[image=http://cdn2.iofferphoto.com/img/item/777/999/71/YakitateJapan_Front.jpg]

And I'll probably try to come up with something creative for Halloween at work. Possibly the proc fairy, but I don't know. That one's still very much up in the air.

19. 72Princess

72Princess Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 15, 2010
    Here we go!!

1. Endor Ewok Village Leia- always one of my favorite costumes - simple and sweet

2. Boushh

3. And a Night SIster to go with my friend's Ventress!!

20. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    First finished costume of the year, and it's not even for me.

My little tusken baby to go with my tusken female.

[image=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/bandykullan/creations/tusken/baby/IMG_1612.jpg]

Now I'm happy with having managed to make all costume pieces fully removable. I did that since the doll that's dressed up was my one favorite doll as a child, and it's usually dressed in clothes my mother made for it, so I'm not going to keep it tusken forever.

21. Cor-AlGelkar

Cor-AlGelkar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 18, 2003
    Starkiller "Jedi Adventurer" and Imp. Officer within 6 months

22. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Tusken female is done.

[image=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/bandykullan/creations/tusken/IMG_1627.jpg]

Starting to work slowly on the travel gown.

23. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Love the Tusken female costume!!!
    How hot is that?

And the idea about the Nightsister too. Wonder if it will be a specific one, or one you make up yourself?

Very cool.

24. hopefuljedi

hopefuljedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2011
    I am new to this, but I am hoping to do a Mara Jade costume for Halloween. I would love any tips if you have them, I think I will do one of the traditional cat suit, type thing. I was wondering where I could get her lightsaber for a decent price, and a blaster. I am roughly broke in way of high priced things, but it would be a lightsaber to just hook to the belt, no action needed. I am also going to do my older sister's Leia costume, and I found a pattern for it so that should make it easier. All tips are welcome.

25. hopefuljedi

Jul 9, 2011
    ObiAnne that is amazing, this is one of the best costumes I've seen in a long time. I hope I can do stuff like that in the future.

26. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Hey hopefuljedi! Mara Jade is a great costume, though deceptively difficult. I don't know if you have any desire to join the Rebel Legion (a lot of us here are members), but I'd suggest shooting for their standards, which can be found here. We also have a thread for the costume on these boards here, which I can unlock and bump if you've got questions.

Good luck with the costume!

27. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Thank you for the nice comments on my tusken. :)

28. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000

[image=http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/270589_1819695897218_1384772440_31555199_4571600_n.jpg]

29. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Looks great! :D Wig looks pretty awesome too.

30. hopefuljedi

Jul 9, 2011
    I am not shooting for any memberships, this is just for me. Thanks for the link, I am so glad for that. I need a lightsaber, but I can't find one for less than about $1,000 and I don't have that much cash, as a high school student I don't really get much cash.
    I may take you up on the unlocking thing, I will ptobobly end up with several questions.