main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2013 3 3/4" Black Series

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I can't figure how that one ever made it past the prototype stage. It looks like the sort of figure you'd see at Dollar Tree. The pictures don't do this one justice. You really need to see it in person to truly appreciate how awful it is.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Picked up TBS Ree-yees & Sgt. Doallyn (Jabba's Skiff Guard) @ TRU today. Ree-yees has a great sculpt; though I typically prefer never-before-done aliens/characters, this is an extremely nice figure.

Sgt. Doallyn, on the other hand, is just alright - the head is way too small for his body. That being said, it's nice to finally this character, who has never been done before.

As usually happens during the Fall, it gets slightly easier to find these SW toys - presumably retail stores are gearing up for the forthcoming holidays - and Black Friday is only a little over a month away...

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Just looked at Luke, as I hadn't seen the toy in stores. Oh good god, why, why, WHY did they use Play-arts KAI-style double-hinge joints for his elbows?! I can forgive those joints for the knees, as it's not as obvious unless the figure does a deep knee bend, but elbows?? There are ways to do a deep bend with double-hinge joints that don't look so hideous! Bandai Figuarts does nice joints.

whostheBossk likes this.
  4. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Had a great stop at Meijer as they just put out new Black Series on a Monday of all days!? Picked up Bastila Shan! and Shock Trooper since it was buy one get another 50% off. Thinking about the Snowtrooper and Dak.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  5. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    Black Series wave 6 now out in many stores. Picked up Darth Malgus and Garen Malek last week!! and today found another Darth Malgus. They had Hoth Luke, R2 G10?, Yoda, the whole set of wave 6!

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Hell, I haven't seen anything beyond the wave one pegwarmers here.

7. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, I've seen Wave 4 at a couple of places, but mostly it's just Waves 1 and 2.

8. Blur

Aug 11, 1999

Great score - congrats. I definitely want those figures, including the R5 Droid (IIRC, it's R5-g19?!).

whostheBossk likes this.
  9. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    Only one store still carries the wave 5 Black Series so I was thinking Disney, now with their name on packaging with wave 6, would faze this series out. So this prompted me to find Jabba's skiff guard, who I passed on before. Sure enough, he was still there! Do many not care for this figure? Also found many Bastilla Shan after thinking she would be rare. Same question with her as I see no one bidding on either on Ebay? Found a rare Ree Yees but passed.

10. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    I actually like both the Jabba's Skiff Guard Vizam figure, and Bastila Shan (though I still haven't found a B. Shan with good paint apps.). I agree the Vizam is (or was) one of the easiest TBS figures to find, though in my hunting @ retail stores I've only seen one Shan.

Also picked up the R5-g19 & the Darth Malgus figures earlier this week. Both great figures, on the 'new' packaging. Malgus is probably my favorite of the two since I like the design; also really like the R5-g19 since I'm a sucker for obscure R5 droids (apparently, this one was 'off-screen' in the ROTJ briefing scene prior to the Battle of Endor).

whostheBossk likes this.
  11. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 29, 2014
    I'm glad they repackaged Starkiller and Malgus. I wanted to have them both loosely displayed and the VC ones are too pricey now.

whostheBossk likes this.
  12. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    I was happy as well to see Starkiller & Malgus, and also how many of them! Picked up a few extra to sell, but it seems they are too plentiful of a figure.

Hey Blur , the Vizam figure is very much around, but they have another Jabba's Skiff guard with no name and a black helmet. That is the one I picked up. Soon as they go on sale, I'll pick up Vizam as well.

13. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Great score re: Starkiller - still haven't seen this, but I also haven't time to hunt for a while. I'm avoiding retail stores now since I don't like to deal with the crowds Christmas shopping.

Yeah, that skiff guard is Sgt. Doallyn (sp?!) - I remember seeing him in Jabba's palace (I think). I've got this too - decent figure, but the pin-head is way too small...

whostheBossk likes this.
  14. SWfan1020

SWfan1020 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2013
    It has been a while since I have bought Star Wars action figures, but I have been thinking of getting some recently. Is the Darth Plagueis figure still being sold in stores? It is listed as out of stock on Wal-Mart's website, and going for $30+ on Amazon, so I am assuming it is no longer sold in stores.

When are the new 6" figures expected to show up in stores? I am interested in some that were announced for the next wave, like Commander Cody.

15. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    SWfan1020, not sure on the 6" line, but Darth Plagueis will be hard pressed to find him. I was lucky in seeing him twice all summer! Once in Walgreen's (which I'd recommend you look) and once in Toys R Us.

Blur- Thanks for getting me his name. He is also seen on the skiff which Luke is on I believe in ROTJ.

16. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Miraculously found & got 1 lone Darth Plaugueis figure @ Wal-mart ealrier this week (the first one I've seen at retail); note the plastic case had completely come off of the card and was being held together by a large piece of tape wrapped around the entire card. Thankfully, the figure was complete with all accessories - strangely enough, there is an empty bubble in the plastic case that looks like it should contain something, but apparently doesn't (based on the pictures of the packaged figure I've seen online). In any case, superb figure, and looks a lot cooler in person (or in plastic) than in pictures....It was also the only TBS 3 3/4 figure I've seen at this Wal-mart for quite some time (though, they did have quite a few TBS 6" figures - which I don't collect at all).

And, this made me realize the first sign that I'm becoming a desparate collector: I find a figure whose card is beat all to he@@ - however, I was so glad to find new product that I wanted @ regular retail price, I could care less about the packaging :D

Barbecue17 likes this.
  17. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    To echo whostheBossk, I would completely agree that Plagueis is extremely tough to find @ retail these days. As I said in my last post, I've only seen one @ retail, which I got earlier this week.

No prob. - Sgt. Doallyn is definitely one of those "blink and you'll miss them" characters. I think I remember seeing him on the skiff as well. This gives me an excuse to watch ROTJ again...

whostheBossk likes this.
  18. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    With out a doubt Blur! I always go through the movies when I can...beats all the nonsense on tv nowadays. Congrats on the Plagueis figure! I've seen only two all summer/fall. I would've asked for a discount if it was open, but knowing Wal mart they would've taken like .25 cents off. It sure beats paying double anywhere else when you find him retail huh? What a feeling. Also, that line of the Black Series I think is being fazed out as Disney now has their name on the next wave and I haven't seen much of the others since. I also don't do the 6" line. No interest at all for me as my 3.75 take up all the space and mean much more to me.

Also congrats on being a member on the boards since '99! I wish I had started before TPM, but at least I know what the rest of the prequel trilogy hype was all about and now can witness the ST.

19. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Yeah, I thought about asking for a discount but it was busy & the lines were long, and I didn't want to bother. I'm not a carded collector anyway so it's not that big of a deal to me - Plagueis is in perfect shape & the accessories are complete, which is the most important thing to me. As you said, $10 (before tax) beats the $20-$35 (or more) I've seen for this online. I just felt fortunate to be able to find this. And, IMHO the price for this figure will probably still go up as the years go by - as you said, I don't think many more of these figures will be made, especially since I agree TBS is on it's last legs at this point....After all, the EP7 figures will be in stores in less than a year....

I started on the boards in August of '99 as a result of seeing TPM that year; IMHO, TPM was the most heavily analyzed & criticized film of the Saga (& possibly the most analyzed & criticized movie ever?!), and it was interesting to see people debating & complaining about the film that whole summer - and this debate/criticism is still going on....I think TPM is a great film - maybe not a masterpiece, but I do like it more than most fans - but that's another thread...

Barbecue17 and whostheBossk like this.
  20. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    It does have it's place for sure. Great memories and I hope TFA will have it's share of cool figures out soon and with a sneak preview figure like TPM (still have my Mace Windu sneak preview)!

You think BS is on it's last leg? It might be, but the new figures in wave 6 are out, have the Disney logo on them and seem pretty popular. Guess we'll see. I did see more BS in Walgreens again today. Wave 5 still being put on shelves.

21. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    I'd love to find a Darth Plagueis at retail. I've never seen him anywhere!

22. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Well, I think TBS figures will be even harder to find in 2015 than they were in 2013/2014. I'm sure that Hasbro is already gearing up for Episode 7 figures in Fall 2015, and typically when new SW films come out the previous lines are tougher to get ahold of in the months beforehand....

That being said, the new film is coming out in December of next year, instead of May. So, maybe we will get lucky and see some of the new waves on shelves up through late Summer?! 2015. I am also finding slightly more figures than usual at this time of year, but I suspect a lot of that has do with the holidays, since that's usually a time when stores will stock more - since they know they are getting more shoppers of these products than at other times of the year...

whostheBossk likes this.
  23. RyanMan12

RyanMan12 Jedi Knight

May 24, 2013
    So what is everyone pre-review thoughts on the Black Series Captain Rex?

24. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    Looks nice to me. Due out this spring? I think the Black Series will continue for awhile, at least up until this summer when we get Episode VII sneak preview figures.

[​IMG]

25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'd get that..if I see it..