main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Community' started by s65horsey, Jan 23, 2014.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Apparently there was a lot of backlash about the US women's hockey team crying (some of them) when they lost, which I think is a bunch of crap! It was a hard fought, emotional game.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'd have been pissed if they hadn't cried! Less than a minute from gold, and to lose?

3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't have problem with crying, but I saw one of them throw her stick during the OT, thus gave Canada that chance to meet 1 on 1 with the keeper, forcing one of the US players to make that foul, and let Canada have a PP to score.

4. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    It was the most compelling match in hockey since Stanley Cup playoffs. I was a little watery too.

5. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah, it was really sad. They also had a few chances in OT.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know what bothers me more, the part about no crying because it's hockey or no crying because they won a medal. They just lost a game they'd worked really hard with -- I certainly empathized with the reddened faces at the end of the game, and I only care about the sport once every four years!

It's not tough to hold back tears and it's not bad sportsmanship to feel bad about a loss, especially moments after it happened.. Good grief.

7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah, I never watched Hockey before Sochi, so I can't blame them, I just feel so sad to see them lose.

8. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    As a soccer fan I've seen many men and women cry in important championship, especially the World Cup. I think those who blame the girls were people who rarely watch sports.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    And it's not like they are the only people to be disappointed when they didn't win the gold, plenty of others have been upset when they won silver or bronze because they expected more of themselves.

And I know this probably was some picking and choosing of tweets, but the author of that article was right: why is it brave fro John Daly to be emotional when he failed to medal in skeleton, but not okay for women playing hockey. Because it's hockey?

Thrawn1786 and Juliet316 like this.
  10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Probably, they thought Hockey is for tough people to play.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It was a pretty physical game -- they were smashing into each other pretty good. Isn't the important part that the play is aggressive instead of what they do afterwards?

I mean, I've never been immersed in hockey culture. We had a team, but it was mostly a novelty and I am pretty sure most people only went to games because of the movie. So maybe folks who live up north, especially towns that live and breathe hockey, think differently -- but like, these women came from those towns too.

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Honestly, I'm getting kind of sick of these articles that screenshot a handle of tweets with whatever the offensive topic is and label it as "backlash" or that it's somehow representative of a certain fanbase.

It's like when Joel Ward, a black NHL player, scored an overtime goal against Washington in the playoffs a couple years ago and people were calling out the "Boston Bruins fanbase" for racist tweets that emerged after the game.

Like seriously? These people are idiots and in most cases represent a fraction of the viewers. So yes you're going to find people saying stupid **** like there's no crying in hockey but anyone with half a brain knows that's ridiculous.

I guess I'm just being critical of the fact that this is a story to begin with when in reality it just seems like a lot of websites just want to get their hands on anything controversial they can find on social media sites and claim it as something bigger than it actually is.

13. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Simple: He failed to medal.
    Those hockey girls have a silver!

I would be more willing to give the men's hockey team a pass on crying if they lose to Finland in the Bronze medal game than I will for the women crying over a sparkling silver medal.I dislike it when they throw a tantrum when they are standing on the freaking podium!
    Also, they cried in 2010 too.

14. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    For hockey players its gold or nothing basically. Silver means you lost gold. Bronze would be preferable for them as they "won" bronze.

15. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Silver Medal face, it's a thing.
    While yes, they won a medal, they still lost the the game and the gold. The bronze medal winners won the game, the alternative was to get nothing... of course they are happy.

16. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    For all those U.S. viewers (like me) who have been deprived of Weir and Lipinski's commentary due to schedules or lack of cable access: they will be doing the prime-time commentary for the exhibition skate tomorrow night.

Thrawn1786 and s65horsey like this.
  17. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    I think its so funny how most of you are more concerned about who commentated than the actual sports. Pfft! Americans! ;)

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Hell must have frozen over because I agree with you.

And some of these same people complaining about the girls crying over losing the gold are probably the same people who pitched a fit over Brittney Chastain tearing off her shirt and revealing her sports bra underneath when the USA women's team won the World Cup.

19. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Three words: Could.....care.....less.

20. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
  21. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    No, it's could. I care, if only a little, ergo I could care less.

22. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    lol

Coruscant likes this.
  23. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    I am in awe of your wisdom!

plaidphoenix likes this.
  24. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5