main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY 2015 Book Club dates

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Yoda_Jammies, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Hi! Happy New Year!
    Looking at the calendar, I thought I would jot down the dates of book club Mondays.

February 2nd (Tarkin is the read for next month)
    April 6nd
    June 1st
    August 3rd
    Oct 5th
    December 7th

2. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks for posting these up :)

3. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Added a book due to "popular demand."

April 6nd
    June 1st (Lords of the Sith)
    August 3rd
    Oct 5th
    December 7th

4. Lord_Zannah

Lord_Zannah Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Thank you my Jammies. I've been dumpster diving for a while and it's dark in those things.

Thank you so much for taking care of this. [:D]

5. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    It's what I do Ma'am.

6. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    April 6nd (Heir to the Jedi: Luke Skywalker)
    August 3rd
    Oct 5th
    December 7th

So, that is three New Canon hardcovers to start the year off-- maybe we then switch to some Legends paperbacks?
    Jammies
    You know, it is tempting to put the Ep 7 novelization on the board for the December read. :eek:

7. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Yeah, got to mix some Legends in there.

I'm gonna wait to read the Ep7 novelization until after I see the movie.

xanatos1975 likes this.
  8. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Me too, it is just temping is all.
    They do it all the time. Keep spoilers and leaks to a minimum for over a year, then release the book a month before the film. Then a loved one buys you said book, and you put it away to read after the midnight showing of the movie: but it somehow sneaks out, and you say "well, I will just read the first chapter and stop." Only, you don't stop do you? It's 5:00 am and you read the entire thing in one setting, shocked that the clones are the good guys, and confident that this will be the greatest love story in the history of cinema.

9. New Vanck

New Vanck Jedi Padawan

Oct 18, 2012
    Hehehe...personal experience there Jammies? :)

Have you done any of the NJO in the reading group?

10. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I don't think so? Can you recommend a stand alone novel?

I guess it would count as "legend" status because it sure isn't cannon but I heard the Star Wars Shakespeare books are fun. We could even read a scene out loud (quietly) at the meeting.

11. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I've floated the idea of reading NJO: Traitor as a stand alone. Hard to fit a 22 book series into our 6 books a year format, but I think Traitor would be good for it's discussions on and of the nature of the Force. I wish I could find all the "runner ups" we have had over the years-- but I know Traitor was one of them.

Cunger Vanck, any recommendations? NJO or otherwise?

12. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Vanck, I was going to ask you at dinner for some book ideas-- but feel free to post them here.

I want to pick three legends paperbacks to round out the year, and it may make sense to have most (or all) of them be in the post-ROTJ time frame, as that era will be a lot different at the end of the year. I've got ideas, but before I sent them in stone I'd like to hear from the club what books (or chaictors, or eras, or genres) you all would like to read/discuss. You know, democracy and all. [face_flag]

13. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    My problem is there isn't a whole lot of the Legends stuff I haven't read. Are the Lando books any good? I've heard not. I also haven't read the "Tales of..." (Bounty Hunters, Jabba's Palace) books.
    Maybe with Ep7 coming out for December we can go back to the beginning and read the original Star Wars novelization. Or since we skipped this last December we could pull out the original original and read "THE Star Wars" or even both and compare and contrast.

I can't make it Monday but I expect a glowing report afterwards :) Have lots of fun!

14. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    The Lando books are great: they just suffer from the same issues that Daley's Solo books did in that both were done with little knowledge revealed (created really) of the SW universe, and they do have a campiness factor. I love them, plus the author invented Sabbac and explains the rules of the game as Lando gambles his way in and out of trouble. The same game and rules were used recently in the Lando episode of Rebels: Idiots Array.

We will miss you on Monday!

Jammies

15. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    AW shucks Mika, too bad your not going to make it, we make a pretend seat for you at the table.. and take turns talking in your stead..
    see you next time.

16. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Well, how did it go? Sorry I missed but Mrs jedimika and I were down in Orlando indulging my other fandoms...Harry Potter, Marvel Superheroes and The Simpsons at Universal Studios.

17. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Sorry Boss,
    I've been having to do a lot of typing for work, but I will post up some thoughts on Tarkin, and the NU Canon in general.

We had fun! We being me, Zannah, Appo, and Dar. Of those of us who read the book, we liked it a lot. Not the greatest book ever, but it had some very interesting tidbits sprinkled throughout the basic "Tarkin and Vader go to White Castle" narrative.

And of course, we had some good star wars conversations that sometimes related to the book and sometimes did not. In otherwords, Book Club.

18. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    So, about the last 3 reads for the year:

I'm going back over 4 years of what to read posts, and will be picking those that are set after Return of the Jedi. While we are all excited (nervous) for Episode 7, it will of course be unreconsilable with the post Return of the Jedi narrative that most of us grew to love.

I have been taking a Schrodinger's Cat approach to canon: the EU is both canon and not canon until proven otherwise. Well, if some of the rumors about the story of Ep 7 is true, once the box is open the post-POTJ EU will be a dead cat.

But, until that box is open (at the box office), lets keep Luke's Jedi Order alive.

April 6nd (Heir to the Jedi: Luke Skywalker)
    August 3rd (The New Rebellion by Rusch: building a new government isn't easy, as our heroes learn while trying to stop domestic terrorists)
    Oct 5th (a read from the New Jedi Order!) Choose from:
    Vector Prime by R.A. Salvatore: the book that started the epic book series
    Traitor by Matt Stover: Jacen Solo's solo adventure through the light and the dark side that in my opinion can be a stand alone
    The Dark Nest Trilogy by Troy Denning: yes it is 3 books but we do trilogies all the time, and bugs are a good subject for Halloween- these
    books take place after the NJO but are considered to be the book end of that era. Plus, we meet Luke's son Ben. And fleet battles.
    December 7th (I Jedi, by Mike Stackpole: the first first-person narrative star wars book and one that combines the Jedi Academy trilogy's books into a new
    story about Corran Horn's quest to become a Jedi to save his wife)

So there we go. Sorry to just pick books, but I did go over the group's comments from the past and I think digging into this era is important as we lead up to a new dawn of Star Wars. I will think up a way for you all to pick October's book/s. Maybe even put up a poll, and hopefully it won't get messed with.

Best,
    Jammies

19. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    Went to BN today and put Heir to the Jedi: Luke Skywalker on order. Should be sent out on March 3rd.

20. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    For October I vote for The Dark Nest Trilogy. The Killiks are in the SWTOR MMO I've been playing and I would like to read more about them.

21. New Vanck

New Vanck Jedi Padawan

Oct 18, 2012
    Late to the party as always, but Vector Prime is my vote. By October, I might be able to finish Mercy Kill without getting my hind brain into fight or flight mode.

22. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Bump. We're a week and a half away. I finished "Heir to the Jedi" yesterday and I really liked it. Very lighthearted in parts, tragic in others. Looking forward to the discussion. Cake is happiness.

23. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Thanks for the bump Boss.

Hope to see you all there! Don't be a wet noodle!

24. Lord_Zannah

Lord_Zannah Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Appo and I will be there. :cool:

25. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    One week warning...get to reading! ("3X2(9YZ)4A")