main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY 2015 Book Club dates

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Yoda_Jammies, Jan 5, 2015.

1. JediLightside1966

JediLightside1966 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 30, 2015
    me and my fiancee would like to go out and eat dinner with the group sometime.

2. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Yeah, good turnout last night JediLightside. I wasn't as prepared as I should have been though, the book was longer than I expected and I didn't quite finish. I did hit a spot that slowed me down but I intend to complete it this week as time permits. Jammies led a great discussion even with the handicap I gave him

JediLightside1966 likes this.
  3. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Thanks Mika, leading the BC is one of my most favoritest things ever. While some nights I do a better job than others; I try to give an in (and out) of universe historical perspective on the book, find incites, and pose any questions the text may raise. Not unlike I would any of my undergrad classes.

We had a great time. The four of us (yours truly, Mika, Ms. Mika, and 11-11) had a delightful time discussing this, I would say, forgotten gem of the Bantam era. And yes, it is a much longer book then one would expect—maybe over 400 pages! While I have read this one sever times, I will admit that for my re-read for Monday I skipped around a lot for time’s sake. Which brings up a point I’d like to share to anyone who would like to join us next time (first Monday in October): if you haven’t finished, or even started the book—come anyway! There is not a test, just some good nerd talk.

This month we discussed The New Rebellion by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. It was published in 1996, five years into the Star Wars Lit program. So, she did not have a lot of other works to pull from; but she did manage to weave in the Thrawn Trilogy, the Jedi Academy, the Chrystal Star. The Dark Jedi Brakiss, from the young readers books, is a central character in this novel and it was good to see him again (and meet his mom). As the Black Fleet Crisis was being written at the same time, elements of that book did not make into this one. I personally, as a spaceship nerd, would have loved to see some K-wings take on the droid TIEs with General Antilles on station at his flagship Endurance class Star Defender—but that’s just me.

Unlike the before mentioned Black Fleet Crisis, which also has a large ensemble cast, this book uses every character to great effect. The actions of the B and C plot all tie into the A plot—a rare concept for a Star Wars book. For example, Lando and Lobot’s story in Black Fleet crisis is one that barely ties into the main plot. While, Lando’s quest to find Solo in the Outlaw asteroid colony directly impacts the main story line. Even the comedic exploits of R2 and C3P0 wind up saving the day. The New Rebellion is very well thought out, like a clock, each element fits together to make the book whole.

I know very little about the author. This book, and a short story in the old Star Wars Adventure Journal and one in the Tales of the Mos Eisly Cantina are all the Star Wars prose we have from her. Her official website has no mention of Star Wars or even this book. However, given her collaborations on projects with Kevin J Anderson, I am guessing that is how she got this gig. Regardless, she must be a Star Wars fan. As well all mentioned she got the voice of every star wars character spot on. Spot on. And that is very rare and hard to do. I mentioned what a great job the authors of Empire and Rebellion Honor Among Thieves did of capturing Han’s voice (and they really really did). But Rusch nailed Han, Luke, The Princess, 3P0 and R2, and even Lando. The dialogue sounds right, and it is funny too! Han getting shot in the buttock, and his responses to it made me laugh out loud while reading the book—and I don’t do that too often (not while reading, certainly elsewhere).

So, this is the greatest Star Wars book ever written then? Well, no. Ultimately, it has seemingly been forgotten because, in my opinion, it doesn’t add anything major to the overall mythos. New characters, like Cole Fardreamer, were never used by other authors. New locations, like The Skip, were used to re-tell Solo’s youth by A.C. Crispin, but because those books were prequels it never directly tied into this book. And the villain, a dark jedi, is quite honestly very forgettable; and by the end of the Bantam line of Star Wars books the dark jedi villain had become a trope, a cliché for newer novels to stay away from (hince the Vong). Krueller (who now reminds me of Kilo Ryn, but maybe just because of the mask) is not that interesting of a villain. While the book sets him up for a very interesting conclusion, sadly that ending is more problematic then emblematic of a great star wars book.

Deep sigh.

The ending of this book. After 380 pages of joy, the reader just doesn’t get the payoff she deserves. Krueller’s quest to defeat Luke and thus become the most powerful force in the galaxy, is dropped to instead turn all the sky-solo clan to the dark side. The reader learns that his real name is Dolph (honestly. A. Dolph. *groan*) and that he was a previously unmentioned failed student of Luke’s academy (what is the fail rate at that school?). I don’t know why she didn’t just stick with Brakiss, and make him the main baddy? That seems to be the most logical and interesting villain, instead of a Brakiss clone with a mask. And while I really like that Luke was willing to pull a Ben Kenobi and let himself die to come back in spirit to save his sister (again, it reminds me of what we might see in episode 7 and fits well with what we now know about force ghosts), I don’t really buy that Luke would be disabled from a torn ankle and kept as Krueller’s prisoner. Nor do I buy that he was a better swordsman than Luke, and that he had to be taken out by a Ysimerri in a cage and a blaster bolt.

Still. This is a book that needs to be read and praised more often. It is such a fun, and true to the films work of fiction. I am sorry we didn’t get more works from Ms. Rusch.

Other thoughts from our chat:

At what point is Lando forgiven for betraying Han? 17 years after saving him from Jabba, he is still wracked with guilt.

If Tatooine is the “planet that is farthest from” why does it seem to be the center of the star wars literary universe? Mika was really bothered by Jawa sand crawlers on an asteroid colony. I too, get bugged when things that should not be known are. Like, when prequel books mention “colder than Hoth” even though the planet is an uncharted settlement per Ozell. Or, as Mika pointed out, Ewoks and Endor mentioned too early as well (I think Darth Maul Lockdown has an Ewok. Red Harvest has tauntauns, and that ain’t right).

MTFWBY!

We got a lot more reading to do gang! October is the Dark Nest trilogy by Troy Denning (and a general discussion of the post ROTJ EU: NJO, LOTF, FOTJ, etc). Not to mention the 22 book Journey to the Force Awakens that will start in September.

-Jammies

4. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I finished it and overall liked it, but yeah didn't really offer anything of lasting import to the mythos. I don't feel Lando really offered anything...he came to the rescue, got captured and had to be rescued...could have cut his whole part out. I liked Han's plan for dealing with a dark jedi....ysalamiri then shoot them in the face (although it was Leia that did the shooting), very practical, that should be the go to plan every time.

As much as the jawas took me out of the book the bats later were worse. They EAT FIRE? How does that even work? Mmmm...fire...yum. Sigh.

5. JediLightside1966

Mar 30, 2015
    what is the book ti read for october? sorry i missed the meeting.

6. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    It's hidden in the thread and in Jammies' recap post above...
    " October is the Dark Nest trilogy by Troy Denning (and a general discussion of the post ROTJ EU: NJO, LOTF, FOTJ, etc)."
    I don't know my work schedule yet but we hope you can make it Lightsider.

7. JediLightside1966

Mar 30, 2015
    thanks. ill try to make it.

8. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    If you, or anyone, needs a copy of the Dark Nest trilogy just let me know.

It is another long read, so if come October you haven't finished, or started, come out anyway gang!

9. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Bump.
    Next Monday (Oct. 5th) we talk about bugs in The Dark Nest Trilogy.
    Again, if you can come but didn't finish/read the books, please come out.
    If you need a copy of the book (in print or audio) just PM me.
    --Jammies

10. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    One book down! Good news is I like it and will be reading the rest of the trilogy, bad news is I'll be working Monday night and can't make book club.

I like reading about the KIlliks since there's a tie in with SWTOR. There's several missions on the Alderaan levels dealing with them and house Thul and house Organa.

11. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Burru urr burr ubb?

12. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    We just rubbed our forearms with the antenna of some random bugs. Brurrrb Urb!
    (then drank some membrosia)

13. JediLightside1966

Mar 30, 2015
    Thanks for posting the book club dates.

14. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Looks like I'll be at work for the December Book Club. I'm still (re) Reading "I, Jedi" so I'll add my thoughts to the thread afterwards.

15. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    We'll definitely,
    hopefully,
    should be,
    maybe,
    planning on being there. [face_dunno]

Providing my uncle doesn't keep me very long in Frankfort that day.

16. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    This Monday (Dec. 7), we will be discussing I Jedi, but please,if you haven't read it by then feel free to come anyway. Or, maybe you want to talk about some of the new Ep 7 tie-in novels: you can come and do that too. Or, just come. Join us!

17. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Yea! Loved to see ya all again...

18. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Book club tomorrow night

19. 11-11

11-11 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 17, 2007
    Where was you guys??:_|

20. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    sitting at our table by my self.
    Oh don't tell me we walked / sat by each other?

21. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    well that suckes, i even had your stealth x.
    I had on a red fleese and a stack of star wars referencce books, and was there from 7:10-8:15.

Boo.

22. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  23. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Sorry :(
    Home taking care of a sickly wife. Hope to catch you all next time...

24. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    New Year means new books right?

Our next meeting is going to be Monday, February First. I think it only appropriate that we read and discuss the novel, "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" by Alan Dean Foster. Of course, you could skip the book and just watch the film I guess. As for the rest of 2016-- well, i'll think of some stuff, but input is always highly valued.

MTFBWY
    Jammies

25. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I'm working that evening but I think the wife is off, I'll let her know.