main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards 2016 FanFic Awards Guide & Announcements Thread | Thread now locked

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Chyntuck, Mar 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Ewok Poet Yes you can!

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Will do, once I make more sense. Thanksabunch! :)

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Findswoman likes this.
  3. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    The deadline to nominate for Before, Saga and the Random Award is today 06 April 2016 at midnight PST! And we can always use more noms, so keep them coming :) You can see the nominations thread HERE.

Findswoman likes this.
  4. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    The Excerpts and Synopses Thread for Beyond and Sequel Trilogy is up! It's been stickied to the top of the Resource Forum, you can see it HERE.

Nominations for Before, Saga and the Random Award are now closed.

EDIT: Oh, and it goes without saying, congrats to all the nominees! It's a great selection of fics we have there :)

Ewok Poet and Annia Piet like this.
  5. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT FICS AND AUTHORS GOING TO THE VOTING ROUND IN SAGA

In the SAGA ERA only, we are modifying the rule about which fics will go to the voting round from:

Original rule: If a story was nominated in more than 3 categories, it goes to the voting round only in the 3 categories where it received the most nominations. In case of a tie for third place, the least populated category will be chosen. In case of a tie between two equally populated categories, a category is drawn at random. See item 17 of the FAQ for details and examples.​

to:

New rule: If an author was nominated in more than 3 categories, s/he goes to the voting round only in the 3 categories where s/he received the most nominations. In case of a tie for third place, the least populated category will be chosen. In case of a tie between two equally populated categories, a category is drawn at random.​

The requirement for two nominations to go to the voting round is maintained in every category where there are enough nominations to make it possible.

This new rule does not take in consideration the Best Reviewer category.

Why are we making this change?

There are 92 nominated fics by 57 different authors in Saga, the vast majority of them with only 1 nomination in each category in which they were nominated. Under the original rule, 83 fics by 53 authors would be going to the voting round, and the excerpts thread would be 50,000 words long. We can’t expect voters to read a novel-sized thread in 10 days in order to vote.

How many nominated authors does the rule change exclude?

No authors are excluded altogether under the new rule that wouldn’t have been excluded under the original rule. This change affects stories, and only in some categories. Under the new rule, there are 61 fics by 53 authors going to the voting round. We can therefore maintain the diversity of the nominations we received while reducing the size of the excerpts thread to approx. 30,000 words.

Why didn’t we do the same in Beyond?

The nominations in Beyond were very diverse as well, but we had more nominators and a smaller pool of potential nominees. This means that there was more overlap between the nominations, and that the original rules enabled us to “filter” fics going to the voting round for an excerpts thread of 25,200 words.

In other news, the Excerpts and Synopses Thread for Beyond and Sequel Trilogy has been up for a few days, we hope that you are enjoying the read!

6. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    With the word story being underlined and "some categories" being mentioned, the only thing I don't get is if this applies to character and author categories? Sorry if I'm being a PITA.

And...since credit is due to you and the team, absolutely:

a) I sympathise with all of you who had to deal with the rest of us and your hard work is more than appreciated! ^:)^

b) The vast diversity is an exciting, exciting thing, despite everything else. Since a lot of people complained about that last year, having seen how many diverse, bizarre, lovely things made it to Beyond and having read the numbers in this most recent post, I'm excited! [face_cow]

Chyntuck likes this.
  7. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Yes, it does. Here's an example:

Charles Dickens has the following nominations:
    • Great Expectations has 2 nominations for Best AU, 1 for Best OC, 1 for Best Canon Character and 1 for Best Original Relationship.
    • Oliver Twist has 1 nomination for Best Canon and 1 for Best Short Story.
    • Charles Dickens also has 3 nominations for Best Author.
    Under the new rule, Charles Dickens and his two fics can't go to the voting round in more than 3 categories of the (total) 7 in which they were nominated. He will go to the voting round with Great Expectations for Best AU (most nominations) and for Best Author (also most nominations), plus in one more category, whichever has the smallest number of nominees.

EDIT: The one category that is excluded from this rule is Best Reviewer, for obvious reasons. I'm editing the announcement above to reflect that.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Thanks for the clarification!

Wait...and reviewer categories, are they treated differently? Sorry.

EDIT: Thanks for that, too. :)

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

9. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    The Excerpts and Synopses Thread for Beyond and Sequel Trilogy is closing on Saturday 16 April at midnight PST. If you're a Beyond or ST nominee and haven't submitted your excerpts yet, please send them in asap so that voters can have an idea of your work :)

We hope everyone has been reading the awesome collection of nominated fics in Beyond and ST. You can see the Excerpts and Synopses Thread HERE.

The Excerpts and Synopses Thread for Before, Saga and the Random Award will go up on Sunday 17 April at dawn.

10. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Lots of news today 17 April 2016!

The Excerpts and Synopses Thread for Before and Saga is up, you can see it here.

The thread also includes excerpts from fics nominated for the Random Award (this post).

Excerpts and Synopses for Beyond and Sequel Trilogy are now closed. We will not be accepting any further excerpts in these eras, but you can of course still read the thread here.

We are now accepting votes for Beyond and Sequel Trilogy. The voting thread is here and will remain open until 26 April 2016 at midnight PST.

You can vote for the Random Award now, or you can wait until later when you send in your votes for Before and Saga.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Thank you!

I have some Qs - and yeah, I'm sorry, but I want to make sure I'm following the rules - I may have to shoot them via PM. Sorry again!

Chyntuck likes this.
  12. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    No probs, but make it fast -- I need to get off this laptop before my husband asks for a divorce :p

Ewok Poet likes this.
  13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Done and sorry - to him and you, but in this case, especially to him! *waves*

Chyntuck likes this.
  14. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Just a note about the Random Award: nominators may not vote for the award/story they nominated -- as they stand to win colours too, it would be akin to voting for themselves.

15. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Help! We need more prizes!

We have a grand total of 79 nominated authors across the four eras, and depending on how the vote goes we could need a lot, lot, lot of prizes. If you have any ideas of things you'd like to offer, please PM me :)

Findswoman likes this.
  16. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Advertisement space?

17. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Assuming I could get Photoshop up and working again, I could donate some fanfic book covers.

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  18. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    *Gets inspired*

I could do animated gifs, if that is any help to a writer.

Findswoman , Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I can handle up to one dozen things out of well, things I suggested. Not a problem at all.

Findswoman likes this.
  20. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Another busy day on the Awards front!

Voting for Beyond and Sequel Trilogy is now closed and the thread has been locked. Many thanks to the 22 users who voted across both eras! The excerpts thread for these two eras has also been removed from the stickies at the top of the Resource forum (or it should be removed soon, at any rate).

Voting for Before and Saga is now open, you can see the Voting Thread here. We won't be accepting any new excerpts and synopses from this point onwards, but the Excerpts and Synopses Thread is still up at the top of Fanfic Resource here.

Voting for the Random Award will remain open throughout the Before and Saga voting period. All voting will close on 06 May 2016 at midnight PST.

All winners will be announced in the Awards Ceremony, which will begin on 08 May 2016. Beyond and ST nominees should arm themselves with patience :)

Lastly, we could still use a few more prizes. Any and all ideas are welcome!

21. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Last call! We already have quite a number of prizes to offer to winners, but we could use some more variety. If you haven't volunteered yet, now's the time :)

Meanwhile, we're still accepting votes for Before, Saga and the Random Award. Keep voting! The voting thread is here.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Aaaaand... it's over! [face_relieved]

The votes are in, the prize offers are in. Thanks to all who participated and congrats again to all the nominees =D=

All we need to do now is a final recount. The ceremony thread will be up later today and we will start announcing winners tomorrow Sunday 08 May.

This thread will remain open for now in case you have any pressing questions, but remember that there will also be a post-Awards survey/discussion where you can raise any issues you had with the process.

[​IMG]

23. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    No-one answered my question above about what was meant by "advertisement space".

Well done to all concerned, on the writing, reviewing, moderating, awards administration, and nomination / voting sides.

With 57 different authors on Saga alone, even subtracting those helping Chyntuck, a maximum of 22 distinct voters feels a bit low.

Chyntuck likes this.
  24. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    My guess is that she meant that one prize that could be offered was the chance to advertise or promote one's own stories, though that sounds like the kind of thing maybe only the mods would be able to offer.

Thanks so much! :)
    Perhaps so, though the question of how to increase participation is, to paraphrase Maz Kanata, a more complicated question for another time. :p As I recall, this is still a somewhat larger number than last year's turnout, so at least it's a step in the right direction.

25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Definitely! I removed the winners part as we don't have the names yet, but this was the last year's turnout, otherwise:

Sith-I-5 and Findswoman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.