main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2017 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2017.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Oh the walk in the pure, crisp cold felt so good this morning. I feel so alive on days like this.

In addition to walking and reading my positive thinking book, I am stretching using the Ultimate Flexibility a complete guide to stretching for Martial Arts book again. Also picked up the Shaolin Workout book which compliments the UF book in that some stretches are show from a variety of angles instead of head on; plus there are meditations in this second book which aren't sappy*. I realize where I am now requires me to take the initiative. And the stretching has already helped my knees and at work.

*Thankfully, there are no cranky old sifus telling me I have to carry two pails of water up many, many stairs. I'll leave that to the pros.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Have you mastered walking on rice paper? ;)

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Got my average monthly workouts above 15 for 2016, so I'm pretty happy with that. That's a 50% rate, basically. This year, looking to increase that to 20/month. With that, however, comes a need to incorporate more strength / muscle building workouts. I find myself 90% of the time (or more) doing a cardio workout. Which is fine and dandy, but there's a reason I've been on a weight plateau for two years (well, multiple reasons). Need to do better about travel and using more of the hotel fitness center. I too often just slump into the treadmill and blame fatigue/exhaustion/etc. for not pushing myself.

My nutritional lifestyle (I refuse to call it a diet, because you go and come from diets) has been stable (and a boon to my overall health) for three years now. That's worth celebrating. I'd like to take it a step further this year and learn to cook with Tofu, incorporating that in at least once per week. Anyone got tips and good recipes? I've found one tofu that I enjoy out to eat - in Spring Rolls at Tokyo Joe's.

With that in mind, I'm not setting a scale goal this year. I still haven't reached the one I set three years ago, but I'm about a trillion times healthier. I wouldn't mind losing another pant size, and I'd love it for this year my doctor to not say "all your vitals look good, but your bad cholesterol is just barely outside the range of good, so I'd like to see you get that down".

4. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Try to get close to 1,000 miles run this year. I did just under 800 last year but that was with a marathon to train for. I don't have any this year as of now. As of now its 2 half-marathon (one the Star Wars one at Disney World), 2 10k, and a 10 mile race are on the schedule now. I'm sure I'll add in some more races throughout the year. Would like to have a new PR in a 5k.

yeurgh, Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Just went for another hike in the woods. There's a hard icy crust on top of the snow today. It would almost always hold my foot up for just a moment, then break and drop me about 6-8 inches into soft snow. Walking through that stuff is exhausting and not fun.

6. Black Leader

Black Leader Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2016
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I love stories like that. I try to follow the stories of 90-something marathoners and 70-something IronManners.

8. Black Leader

Jan 4, 2016

you did a tri last year, right ? I've done a mini tri, thinking of doing a duathlon this year, if I can find one with a pool-based swim-not sure I want to fork out loads of dosh for a wetsuit if I'm only going to use it rarely (also not sure my build is suiting to open water swims, being a skinny git) :)

9. JiangLover

JiangLover Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2016
  10. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016
    Now you're talking!

I wish more people would do strength training. Strength is like the vessel that holds the other physical qualities. The more strength; the more capacity for endurance. I'm all for building a bit of muscle, too, but for most athletes this isn't desirable. Strength, on the other hand, is key to performance in pretty much any sport.

Gratuitous picture of elite endurance athletes working on strength in an attempt to jedi mind trick all the distance runners here into incorporating some squats, lunges, deadlifts and turkish get ups into their regime [face_devil]

[​IMG]

11. Grognard

Grognard Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2016
    personal fitness goal for 2017.

Lose 65 lbs. (actually started on this one 25 Dec.)

How? Improved diet and a daily exercise program.

Hunh? More fruit, more water. Less breads, no full sugar soft drinks, reduced meal portions.

Type exercise? walking and cycling to cardio for 20 minutes daily.

challenges: injured knee, back injury, shoulder injury.

status: I'm gonna shank the bum who left donuts at my desk.

but: I've lost 6 lbs since starting. which aint bad, considering the holidays.

12. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Yeah, winter always is a bear to get outdoor exercises in. I'm up in the northeast and it's always a blast to get training runs in while its 10 degrees out with a near zero wind chill. Not to mention running over snow and keeping an eye out for ice. It is what it is though. Just have to be safe and much more cautious out there and most importantly, listen to your body. You have the heart working harder for you.

Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  13. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I had planned to the first skating session today, but the temperature decided to drop to -25C so I'm staying indoors.

14. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    This is so true!
    And it's a lot more fun than it looks! My first major in college was exercise physiology, we had a strength and conditioning class which had a lab that was all weight lifting. We had to learn to do it safely ourselves, and then teach two other people. I was pretty obsessed with doing power cleans.
    Unfortunately, I fell out of practice after the class was over because people in the gyms I went to weren't very nice about girls lifting. (This was quite a few years ago, and long before Cross-Fit became a huge thing, so attitudes might have changed) and it kinda sullied the experience for me.

The gym in my building only has the bar on a track (looking it up, it's called a Smith Machine?), so I stick to using dumbbells.

Juliet316 and yeurgh like this.
  15. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Did about 4 miles of cross-country skiing last weekend, snow was perfect. But we had some freezing rain a couple days ago and now you practically need ice skates to travel through the forest.

Juliet316 , yeurgh and Sarge like this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I did three tris last year and two the year before. Three of the five have been pool-based swims, two were open water. Pool-based swims are easier because of sighting but open water is less cramped. I'm not sure I have a preference at this point. I wear a wetsuit; paid a little over $100 for it and I'll probably get several more tris out of it.

My aunt is trying to talk me into going to the coast to do a tri with an ocean swim; she says the current takes you out and it's less work.

Juliet316 and yeurgh like this.
  17. Grognard

Grognard Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2016
    those are called rip-currents. going out is easy. getting back is a cast iron bantha.

18. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Did a 9 mile run this morning. 9 degrees out but felt like 1. Probably not the best decision I've ever made but welcome to winter training in Pittsburgh.

19. Black Leader

Jan 4, 2016

is Pittsburgh as cold as places like Green Bay & Chicago ?

I may have to go alone to swim pool tomorrow, my better half not keen on winter swimming. Something about wet hair or similar:rolleyes:

20. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    It's not quite on that level (we don't get any lake effect snow) but it still gets pretty cold and snow a good amount. We have a ton more hills than those two places so that adds another wrinkle in the winter.

21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Congratulations, yeurgh! Why didn't you tell us you had a contract to model for a photo shoot?

[​IMG]

22. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016
    Ah, ok, my secret 'other' life as Conan the Smurf has been outed [face_blush]

Crom, I have never smurfed to you before, I have no smurf for it etc. :p

Juliet316 , Sarge and VadersLaMent like this.
  23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Do you wanna smurf forever?

Juliet316 , Sarge and yeurgh like this.
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Smurf you, Crom.

Juliet316 and Master_Lok like this.
  25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Conan! What is best in life?
    To smurf your enemies, see them smurf before you, and to hear the lamentations of their smurfs!

Juliet316 likes this.