main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2017 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2017.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Been experimenting with a weekly rest day while increasing the intensity and duration of the surrounding workouts. Seems like constant shin splints and general muscle pains have been resolved...hopefully.

Also, interval running might be helping too, even if it kills my time.

2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I must smurf back into positiveness...still stretching and walking though.

Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Resting is key to fitness, Ezio. I often struggle with the necessity, but the body needs a chance to heal and recover. Don't feel guilty about taking a day off; it's the right thing to do. And a relaxing way to do it. [/wilfordbrimleyvoice]

Jedi Ben, Juliet316 , yeurgh and 3 others like this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hate running, so I need to come up with another plan asap.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    This week has been a good week, I did two sessions with my PT and yesterday I finally got out and could do some skating. I concentrated on skating with poles, to mimic skiing, and go in an even rather low-intense tempo. The important thing was to practice some endurance. I was a bit slower than I had hoped though and it took me 1,5 hours to go 20 km, I had hoped to be closer to one hour. I also got a blister on my thumb, but I did have some bad gloves on (it was -14 C when I went out so I took a pair of warm ones instead of comfy ones)

6. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

What's your fitness goal? To slim down, bulk up, tone up?

EDIT:

Did about 4 miles today. But with interval running, it took an hour. And, with Florida having somehow escaped from our three-day winter season, it's incredibly warm out. I went through periods of being drenched in sweat to periods of having all the sweat dry up, coating my body in a layer of salt, before being washed over by another round of sweat. Repeat.

Juliet316 and Master_Lok like this.
  7. Kenob1

Kenob1 Jedi Youngling

Jan 15, 2017
    LOL...fitness goals

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ezio Skywalker , I know you had talked about taking rest days; you could also switch up your workouts to something easier on your legs on off days.

I Are The Internets : Swimming or biking?

9. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

I recall slightly_unhinged suggesting swimming or simply walking as a substitute. I don't have a polished work out system, either, per se. I just kind of wing it with upper body workouts (arms, chest, back) over three days (accompanied by a 1-2 mile jog on the elliptical for a warm-up), followed by the next three days of running 3-5 miles outdoors. I used to follow those outdoor running days with an hour of martial arts katas (if only for stretching, meditation purposes), but haven't followed through with that in the past few months.

Juliet316 and Master_Lok like this.
  10. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016
    Just got back from a 2 day seminar on the art of coaching with Dan John (my favourite strength coach). Awesome - always good to learn from him.

Right now I need to do some mobility work after 7 hours of driving [face_relieved]

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    So, Inty got sick on January 1st. It's now January 16th. I've been to the gym zero times this year. I need you people to yell at me.

yeurgh likes this.
  12. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016

GYM. NAO.
    [​IMG]

THX.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I did biking, like, 150 years ago. I might take that up again.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    My grandfather used to ride a penny-farthing bicycle. Is that what you rode 150 years ago? Wizard, old boy!

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I got an Apple Watch for Christmas and it's my new best friend. It's waterproof and keeps track of my swim workouts as well as running and biking ones. It also reminds me to stand up and move around (not that I need that when I'm at work, I'm always on my feet) and leads a one-minute breathing meditation every four hours.

Does anyone else use a fitness tracking watch that sets a daily calorie-burning count and if so, where do you set it? I had mine set at "moderate activity" which is 530 calories and I am surprised at how long it takes to get there.

16. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I've recently become more curious about smart watches. Since I'm anti-Apple though, I was looking at the Galaxy gear. But I have a few questions, since you brought it up:

1) Do the watches pair with your phone via Bluetooth or some other magic?
    2) Do these smart watches have Bluetooh functionality, so you can pair them to your Bluetooth headset and stream music from, say, Pandora, while running? This would be the main appeal to me, as I currently run with my smartphone in my pocket, and sometimes it becomes uncomfortable or annoying.
    3) Do you need to carry your phone with you, or can a smart watch operate on its own to, say, stream music, use fitness apps, etc? Can you leave your phone at home while you run outdoors with your watch?
    4) Is it comfortable?

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    1. Bluetooth. You have to have it turned on through your phone.

2. I think so but I have not tried it since I don't listen to music when I run. I know I can pull in my music from iTunes,

3. The watch operates on its own. I leave my phone at home or at the desk or locker at the gym.

4. I was never a watch wearer before now and yes, it's comfortable.

18. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

Thanks. I'll give this another look, but I'll either need to make some unexpected disposable income or they'll have to drop in price. The Gear Fit 2 looks like it's on sale for $149 and boasts some stellar reviews, but for the time-being, that's too expensive for me to justify. But my birthday is coming up, so maybe... :p

19. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    I've just entered the 'Steel Shredder' steel bar snapping competition. It's an international video-submission comp with a range of bar lengths and thicknesses and a 20minute limit to snap them. Winner is the toughest bar, fastest snap within the time limit.

Given the quality of the field, I'm not aiming to win but it would be good to get into the top 10 (34 competitors signed up so far - some of them grip strength monsters).

I'll probably submit mid Feb but will post my effort here in case anyone wants to see me go to war with a length of steel.

Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  20. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    I'm trying to figure out what to do with myself. I need to do something, but I'm not sure what. I hurt my wrist pretty badly and need 2 surgeries and 6+ months of rehab to address it. So I can't do the 2 things I love....horse training or yoga. I also love ice skating, but its not easily accessible where I am. I'm also concerned about falling and doing serious harm to my wrist post-op.

I was thinking about walking or biking. Its pretty uncomfortable outside to do either for the next few months. We do have an exercise bike that we could set up in front of the tv...so I can exercise & watch tv at the same time. I think I'd be able to get on and off the bike without using my injured hand, but I'm not sure. Otherwise, I'll wind up waiting until in warms up in 2-3 months, so I can walk outside.

I can't drive, due to my wrist, so it really has to be something I can do at home. Any ideas?

yeurgh likes this.
  21. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    This is a wonderful thread. It's nice to see people working on their fitness goals.

Me? I have none. :p

22. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016

The wrist is a nasty place for an injury. I hurt mine doing power cleans a couple of years ago - so difficult to find anything that didn't aggravate it. Swimming worked for me because I had no pain if I kept my hand straight, only on rotating the wrist or moving it from side to side. You could probably get an attachment for the exercise bike that would allow you to rest on your forearms rather than putting pressure through your wrists. Something like the image below:

[​IMG]

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker likes this.
  23. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Four days in a row on the gym, BTW. Thanks for yelling at me, yeurgh

Juliet316 and yeurgh like this.
  24. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    No prob :)

Shouting is one of my favourite things!

25. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Walking and stretching like nobody's business.

Alas, I had to give up my beloved new Acai bowl at Preta Manger because there was way too much sugar and carbs (but that's okay, I found something else at Pret that is just as good), Thus healthy diet overlords are watching over me because my fave veg restaurant and another popular one I've wanted to try are opening close to my job this summer.

and much more positive too.

Juliet316 , Sarge and yeurgh like this.