main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    lol @ Auburn (also, that UCF team should now get some respect -- certainly they should not have been in the playoffs, but #12?)

DarthIntegral likes this.
  2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Congrats to UCF, great game and season for that team. Wish there was a system where they got a shot at the title, don't necessarily think they'd beat any of those top 4 teams but they deserve a chance to find out.

3. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Why should they not? Alabama got in and couldn't even beat Auburn. If it's about winning the games in front of you over strength of schedule (because otherwise, the Bucks get in easily), then really...why?

yankee8255 and DarthIntegral like this.
  4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The AP should award their title to UCF

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Muschamp continues to build in Columbia. He's unlikely to outshine Dabo, but getting 9 wins out of this team (who lost their best player in the 2nd game) is really something.

Georgia loses 30+ seniors next year, but Kirby has a stunning recruiting class coming in. Mullen may not be a national contender in year 1, but no way Florida is a pushover any more. I think the next few years will see the East make up a bit of ground on the West, as LSU, Ole Miss, and MSU recede.

Rew and DarthIntegral like this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    UCF's schedule was... bad? Like really, really bad?

NO top-25 wins, until their conference championship (#20 Memphis) which was a team they'd already destroyed as an unranked team weeks earlier. Two fewer games due to cancellations from the hurricanes this year. 1 win against a Power-5 conference team (and that was Maryland).

Of the two games cancelled, one was a second FCS opponent (Maine) and one was another (terrible) Power-5 team they elected not to replay (GT).

They should have been higher than 12; they should not have been in the playoffs.

The OSU / ALA discussion isn't remotely comparable to UCF's. I think OSU should have made it in, but by all metrics of statistical analysis Alabama's not a "wrong" choice. Though I do think people overlook the Bosa/Iowa explanation more than they should...

7. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I think it's relevant since the dominant explanation bandied about for Bama getting in is that they took care of business against their opponents, however weaker they might've been. If you extend that to UCF-- and in hindsight use the Auburn win vs. Bama's loss-- I honestly don't see how you keep them out. As soon as you start to separate Bama from UCF for resumé reasons, you're kinda also separating tOSU from Bama.

I just think it would've been 100000x more fun if the Cotton/Peach Bowls had also been playoff games, but I'm also a Buckeye fan who is somewhat-hypocritically salty about Bama getting in on what is essentially Nick Saban's name.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Also full disclosure I have a buddy who played at TCU and so I have to be very self-aware about my salt levels given 2014... [face_whistling]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    dp4m likes this.
  8. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    What ever happened to Bill Parcells saying "you are what your record says you are?"

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    In pro football, where there is one and ONLY one league? Absolutely true.

In college football where there are not only a multitude of conferences eligible for the playoffs, but a whole 3 other levels (1-FCS, II, and III) of teams a team could play to pad their records... yeah, no.

10. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Fantastic game so far.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    this game is absurd

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That was a phenomenal game...

heels1785 and LloydChristmas like this.
  13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    i'm an sec homer, believer in lord saban and his dark arts, and am grossed out by clempson people

but under no circumstances do i want another all-sec national championship

so go clemson

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  14. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    HOLY **** THAT WAS AWESOME

heels1785 likes this.
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I was rooting for OU, but holy crap I can't even be mad...

ma_petite and heels1785 like this.
  16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    there have been a few duds, but the rose bowl game has been collectively pretty phenomenal over the last 20 years.

i'd still give the edge to the vince young run, but this is probably second.

dp4m likes this.
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Anything better than OU/BSU Fiesta Bowl in your opinion? That's still my tops, I think...

18. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    More like Chokelahoma.

LloydChristmas and dp4m like this.
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Hoo. Yeah, that's definitely top 3 for me. I'd say the Vince Young/SC game, the Statue of Liberty game, and that OSU/Michigan game when I was in college when they were 1 and 2. It's hard for me to distinguish between those three. And Kick Six is up there, too.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I rank the Vince Young Rose Bowl over the Boise State Fiesta Bowl simply because the stakes were higher. That game, for the National Championship, hasn't been topped IMO.

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Can anyone explain why the Georgia kicker wasn't called for a false start or illegal motion on the tying extra point?

22. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Big man catches a TD pass! I love seeing fun stuff like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Well

At least I'll be free next Monday night

24. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Currently trying to decide if I should bother to keep watching or go to bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Clemson put up 21 on Bama in the 4Q last year.

No Watson, but they're not finished.

ma_petite likes this.