main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena FIA Formula 1 Racing

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    [​IMG]

Great to have him in f1 for another two years!

It won't damage his legacy at all. The fact that he has chosen to go back to the team that he started f1 with, enhances his legacy if anything. No doubt Sauber will be getting an monetary increase from Alfa Romeo in this to. I expect Giovinazzi to take the other seat now.

This has to be the craziest silly season I can remember.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Sith-I-5 likes this.
  2. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
  3. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Giovinazzi confirmed as Sauber's 2nd driver. They look set to become Alfa Romeo proper, Ferrari B team.

Ender Sai likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yep. Good move though it spells the end for Stoffel Vandoorne I'd say (unless Toro Rosso grab him).

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    **** Mercedes and **** Hamilton.

6. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    You have to give them credit, Hamilton has been almost flawless these last few races and Mercedes have obviously worked very hard after it looked like Ferrari were ahead on pace earlier in the year. It is a bit ridiculous how much faster the top three teams are now. Watching Verstappen cut through the field was like watching a LMP1 car overtake GTE cars.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm not giving them credit for giving Lewis a win he didn't deserve, no.

8. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Even Hamilton said he felt bad about that, like he hadn't deserved it. And we saw how apologetic he was to Valteri. But Mercedes did what any team in that situation would do. I think Bottas gained a lot of respect also at handling it so well and understanding the situation. No doubt he got a sizable pay bonus for this race.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ok but if Hamilton didn't actually want it why wasn't there a radio call to give it back or an attempt to? Lewis has all the bargaining power in that team. He told Paddy and Toto to basically sod off in 2016 at Abu Dhabi, when they were telling him to speed up to avoid backing Nico up. He could have given it back, but chose not to. So he only feels a bit bad. Like, this <> much.

10. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Ugh I hate Ferrari. They announce that they have a new livery to reveal, and then they actually reveal...... A new "Sponsor logo" which is so obviously just a new way to get the Marlboro chevron on the car and avoid the tobacco advertising laws. It will totally ruin the look of the car too.
    [​IMG]

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No, it's not Marlboro. This is this "Mission Winnow" thing, where Philip Morris are trying to invest in business lines that aren't smoking (we trust them, totally):

[​IMG]

See?

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    That means the teams are as follows. Italics indicate a new driver for that team (new to F1 or a move):

MERCEDES BENZ
    Lewis Hamilton
    Valtteri Bottas

FERRARI
    Sebastian Vettel
    Charles Leclerc

RED BULL
    Max Verstappen
    Pierre Gasly

RENAULT
    Daniel Ricciardo
    Nico Hulkenberg

FORCE INDIA
    {TBC}
    {TBC}

HAAS
    Romain Grosjean
    Kevin Magnussen

SAUBER
    Kimi Raikkonen
    Antoinio Giovannazi

McLAREN
    Carlos Sainz
    Lando Norris

TORO ROSSO
    Daniil Kyvat

WILLIAMS
    George Russell
    {TBC}

That leaves:
    Sergio Perez, Esteban Ocon, Brendon Hartley, Lance Stroll, Sergei Sirotkin, Stoffel Vandoorne

And, possibly, Robert Kubica.

My suggested outcomes are:
    * Racing Point Force India will get Lance Stroll and Checo Perez;
    * Toro Rosso might retain Hartley because Dan Ticktum is a plum sack and won't get a superlicence
    * Williams will have to chose between SMP Racing money from Sergei, or the technical skills of Kubica (I'd go latter)
    * Ocon ends up as a reserve driver at Mercedes and replaces Bottas for 2020.
    * Vandoorne is out

14. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Meanwhile, W Series. What is Coulthard thinking?

The only upside I can see is if Juju Noda gets in without needing to qualify for a Japanese licence and wins everything; because a 13 year old destroying everyone else the FIA lines up for it would be both hilarious and ruinous for the series.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  15. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    W series will be an absolute joke.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    W series is absolutely necessary and a good thing.

17. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I must have missed something. What is W series?

18. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Urmm I can't tell if that is sarcasm or not. I hope it is.

Just listen to what female drivers think of this.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/45808413

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Not sarcasm. I'm also not interested in the views of people from an era so distant from now they cant possibly know. If people like Susie Wolff can appreciate the need to get girls' profile up in racing and start, with Claire Williams, foundations to promote it I'll take their word thanks.

20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I finally had the time to look it up. I think it has the capability to be a good thing, but it depends on how it is handled, and the jury will probably be out on that for several years. If it actually leads to advanced opportunities for the top drivers, then it's good. But if it ends up just being overlooked and a dead end, then it ought to be scrapped. However, we won't know which for quite a while.

21. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    The main problem to my main is what's going to be a lack of competitiveness. It looks like the series is going to be run to F3 specifications. If we look around all the series' to find female drivers currently in F3 or above, we're looking at Sophia Flörsch, Ai Miura, Angelique Germann, Jamie Chadwick, Tatiana Calderon, and Pippa Mann. That's based on Wikipedia and a few national F3 championships don't have current season pages. Even if they started looking around F4 and closed-wheel series', the jump to F3 may be too much too soon. And whilst it'll be fine if it's an even spread, or if a proven race winner dominates; if say Tatiana Calderon wins every race it'll make the series look weak as she's not exactly competitive in GP3.

Whilst the idea of improving sponsorship and opportunities for female drivers is great; I can't see how this will work.

22. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    I don't know who's view you are referring to there. Pippa Mann is not from a distant era.
    Susie Wolff is also against segregation in Motorsport.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Right, and what do you think this is? This W series, if not an opportunity to "should continue to encourage and create opportunities for women to compete on the same level as men"? How else do you get women onto the radar, so "more women can compete and rise to the top in a mixed competition on equal terms?"

Put another way; if you think that if Lewis Hamilton is Louise Hamilton, and says to Ron Dennis that she'll race for him one day when aged 11 or whatever it was, and that still happens - you've missed some important conversations in recent years.

24. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    How can a woman compete at the same level as men in a series that excludes men from racing?

Another good article on the subject here. https://formulaspy.com/features/w-series-well-intentioned-but-could-do-more-harm-than-good-56954

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh, you're one of those people that doesn't believe F1 is for male racers only. Got it.

Same as there's no gender discrimination in the workplace, anyone can become a CEO it's just how the cookie has crumbled that more men are?