main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2018 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2018.

1. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    @Sarge I've done far worse things for the affections of the fairer sex. I'm sure by mile 2 my feet are going to be saying "You ever hear of Plenty of Fish, Einstein?".

Master_Lok and Sarge like this.
  2. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Ok, no sugar diet going well. I was just offered a Krispy Kreme donut at work, I successfully declined it.

Day 1, folks.

3. Kyber Acyk

Kyber Acyk Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2017
    I am looking at seriously getting back into my weight loss and fitness programme (university has put it on the back-burner for a really long while...) and building my strength back up along with regaining my muscles.

Plus, Fire and Emergency New Zealand is bringing in mandatory fitness and medical checks next year - I have made it my goal to pass each and every year that I am in the service as a volunteer firefighter.

4. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    I now have a bathroom scale, so I can keep track of my weight as I work on my fitness.

Blobofat and DarthIntegral like this.
  5. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
  6. Black Leader

Black Leader Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2016
    so 2 Parkrun targets I set myself for this year: top 10 finish & sub-20 minutes. I managed a 4th place last month, admittedly in quite a shallow field. I'd done my research & found one not too far away that's more sparsely attended than others ;) & when it was nice enough weather to cycle there the plan worked out quite nicely. Still need to improve my PB by 90 seconds to dip under 20 minutes for 5k though...
    Last week, inspired by the elite performers at Boston & London, I signed up for a half-mara, in October. I figured i'm in pretty good shape this year which might not be the case in the future so why not try to improve my PB

Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  7. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    I can't do much at the moment because I've knackered my leg, but I can recommend sticking on action movies if, like me, you use a treadmill daily. Every time the protagonists burst into action you have to start sprinting. Just make sure you're in good shape if you watch Crank.

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    So, as long as nice weather holds ups, I've found a decent solution to the "going to the gym gives mama even more time to deal with infant twins alone and I feel guilty" problem.

I've taken to doing 1-2 walks a week with the boys in lieu of going to the gym. And let me tell you, either putting a baby in a baby carrying harness and walking around or pushing a twin stroller to and from the grocery store (and then having it with the week's groceries for extra weight!) is a good enough workout that I don't feel like I'm cheating my physical fitness by skipping the gym. Added bonus, the fresh air and sunshine is really good for me, too.

i also finally started going to yoga two weeks ago. I've been twice, and am booked for my third this Wednesday. It's been so good.

9. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    I started keeping track of my weight last week, and in that time, I've lost close to 5 pounds. Every day, save for two, I've lost a little bit of weight (one day, I gained a pound; the other, no change).

I've been careful to drink more water, cut down on sodas, and I've been hitting the gym frequently.

10. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Weighed in today and I'm down 11 pounds since starting Taekwondo, wish I'd started doing it sooner.

11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I am getting slowly closer to my goal weight and I basically be there had I am not done my once every two years thrown my back out routine that sidelines me from the gym for basically a month (if not longer) forces me to take a bunch of anti-inflammatory pills that makes me bloated (and freely admit easily agitated) and see my chiro twice.

I been really thinking about doing intermediate fasting this summer but it’s tough because I am with the kids so much and they always asking, “Why are not needing with us?”. And that absolutely kills me because my wife and I made a big point of making eating together a huge tradition. We all sit in the same spot at the kitchen table with the TV and any other electronics (outside of music sometimes) OFF! The only time they (and us) are allowed to watch TV while eating is on Saturday night and if there is a sporting event on they want to watch while frankly rarely happens because we typically eat while a game isn’t on. Sometimes during football seasons we will have snacks and stuff out on our living room table but I don’t consider that a true meal.

Any rate I am really thinking about doing it but it might be something I have to wait until the school year starts since I don’t eat breakfast or lunch with them during the week. Only on the weekends so I was thinking about having Monday-Friday be my main intermediate fasting period with Saturday being a treat day of regular eating and then Sunday a mix of both. Will see how it all plays out.

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Random fitness thought for the day: When you're getting ready for a long jog and you think, "Do I need to go back to the toilet one more time before I start?" the correct answer is always yes, you do need to go back and totally finish all the business.

And on a TOTALLY UNRELATED note, I ended today's run with a fantastic sprint to the finish.

Master_Lok, tom, cubman987 and 7 others like this.
  13. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Make that 16 pounds now :)

14. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Question: does anybody here use FitBit? How is it? I'm thinking of getting one.

15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I use mine. I wouldn't say I love it, not it certainly helps to motivate me. I don't like seeing missed goals, so seeings those and bring anda to hit them helps me. I don't think it's great as a standalone tool, but as part of an overall system it can really help

PCCViking likes this.
  16. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    ~collapses into chair~

I walked to the thrift store to buy some clothes. Last summer I could've made the trip fine. But now my stamina is in the gutter.

I'm soft and weak. Need to start going to the park again to hike.

Juliet316 , Sarge and tom like this.
  17. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Building on reduced carb/sugar diet: now incorporating light weights into diet. Around week 2 since the weights, noticing incremental toning in upper chest and slimming in the face.

Promising start.

PCCViking , Ava G., Sarge and 3 others like this.
  18. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Walked two miles in the city today and stretched too; that helped with stress for about 2 hours. @Luke02 ease into the fasting. I need to get back into it. I used to do it on Saturdays and may try that again. Pro tip, get your own juicer and if you can tolerate ginger use that instead of apple, carrot, beet or lemon (all high sugar). I have to start fasting at least one day a week again.

Still eating heavy protein and need to source other healthy options for work food (which means, no, do not scarf Maison Kaiser's madelines on a daily basis). :rolleyes:

Luke02 and Juliet316 like this.
  19. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Almonds and berries are your friends.

20. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    At least you ended up dropping weight in more than one way.

Ava G. likes this.
  21. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Eww. Lolz

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I haven’t run the past few days because I’m dealing with something that is pretty similar to ”thunder fever” and might actually be that. I’m debating signing up for a four-miler July 4 morning.

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    do it. if you are "debating" doing something that's a net positive for your health and gets you on a better track, just do it.

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I don't know much about pollen or asthma, but the description of how thunderstorms work is accurate.

Master_Lok and Juliet316 like this.
  25. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Any diet is on hold to after Memorial Day weekend. State LaCrosse playoffs, end of school year, parties, Solo Thursday night etc. Yeah not a good week.