main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2018 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2018.

1. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Broke 41 minutes in the 10k. Fall racing season is off to a good start.

Master_Lok, Vaderize03, Sarge and 5 others like this.
  2. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    That's an incredible time. I'm currently trying to get my 5k under 19 minutes

3. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I see strong runners here. My current goal is to stay below 1 h 35 min in the half marathon. I still need to find some cool place for running. In Switzerland it was easier 'cause I wasn't in the middle of a big city and the lake offers amazing landscapes.

4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I've not been able to run regularly for over a month due to a bad hip. I find it very frustrating.

5. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    I can understand your frustration. I hate it when an injury prevents me from running.

Recently, I have been thinking of getting into hill running. I'm a short drive from some great mountains, but winter is coming and it's not the safest option once the weather changes. It's definitely something that I want to get into next year.

Sarge likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was out for about five months last year due to bursitis. It sucks. I swam during that time, and thankfully I like swimming.

As far as fast runners—you all are much faster than I am. I’m not good at running, I just do it. :p

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Hills are great for running. I'm finally back into decent shape after missing about 3 months with plantar fasciitis, ran hills today, and felt strong for the first time since May.

Did the Terry Fox Marathon of Hope 10K a couple weeks ago, took it easy and finished in about 55 minutes.

8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Nice to hear the runners are back. [face_party]

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I forgot to post about the annual local triathlon last month. It was scheduled for a Saturday morning, but the forecast was for scattered thunderstorms, so we called it off. A few of us decided to get together Sunday morning instead. 4 of us did the swim, about 750 m across the creek and back, one girl did the swim twice. None of us felt like the bike ride was a good idea, so 3 of us went for a 5 k run. My sister and I were the only 2 who did both the swim and run. As usual, she was a lot faster in the water and I was a lot faster on land.

10. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    @Sarge that’s awesome!

Finally starting to get my diet back on track and walked again today.

It is nice to just miss the mad rush of noon time lunch goers in midtown Manhattan.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Sarge, Juliet316 and Guidman like this.
  11. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
  12. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    So I'm at 190 now. After a month finally to get below 194 it took only a couple weeks to lose 3 lbs.

In my state there are several walk/jog activities around Thanksgiving. I've signed up for a turkey walk which is a 2K in my area. This whole time I thought the k meant a thousand. Its kilometer.[face_plain]

Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  13. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I've been out of running since February. Running is my life, so I have been very frustrated. My gym has a pool and I swim when it's open. I mean it's open like 3 weeks a month, but they seem to have lots of maintenance issues, sometimes the showers are cold, sometimes the washing machines are broken and there are no towels. But it's the only indoor pool in the area that's 25 meters and doesn't share time with high school swim teams. I'd never get to swim in the winter if I had to deal with that. I tore my hamstring and my right leg has been hurt about once every 2-3 years ever since I was in high school. So I probably have no business trying to run. But I hope someday I can run again. Of course the pool is out of commission today at the gym so I did 20 minutes on the elliptical and walked 40 minutes on the treadmill. I hate swimming, even though lots of people think I'm good at it. Every morning the water is freezing cold. It's boring as hell. Back and forth, back and forth, no tv, no music, no scenery. I have been doing it for months sometimes 7 days a week. Luckily I did swim in high school so I am good enough at it to burn calories and stay in shape.

As far as the injury goes, it was so bad for months that I couldn't sleep at night. It hurt 24/7. This was a ridiculous bad injury. Finally after 2 rounds of PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) injections I only feel pain on occasion. The elliptical today was a total experiment and I hope I don't find out it was a mistake. I'd also like to get back to spin class. I have literally done nothing but walk and swim for nearly a year and I am going bonkers! I have refused pain meds, finally I don't need them anyway mostly because if my leg feels better, I'll run on it and if it's meds making it feel better, that would be really bad!

Anyway thanks for letting me talk.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    A torn hamstring sounds extremely painful. Hope you can heal up and get back to running soon.

I’ve got an 8K next month. I’m in my best running season right now because it’s finally cooled off.

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I've been nursing a hurt ankle. But it's snowing now, so running season is over anyway. I guess that's good news... ?

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Interesting to see when everyone’s running season ends. Mine ends around Memorial Day and restarts October 1. Or middle of September if I’m lucky.

Runjedirun and Guidman like this.
  17. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I guess actually racing season ended last week for me with a 10 miler. Running season technically never ends since I'll run all year round regardless of weather. I'll do a few days taper before races but I normally try to average around 30 miles per week. From January thru September is probably peak season. The rest of the year is maintaining a base.

Sarge likes this.
  18. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Snowing?? Where are you at?

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I do triathlons in June and September but the runs are much shorter, and there is swimming involved.

Juliet316 and Guidman like this.
  20. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    Hopefully, I've got a month of outdoor running left. For me, it's weather dependent. Once the hard frost or snow starts, I concentrate on the gym instead and swimming. Last year, we had an unusually long winter with snowfall in April. I'm hoping for a shorter, milder one this year.

Sarge, Juliet316 and Guidman like this.
  21. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The elliptical was a success so I did 20 more minutes today. The pool was open today too, so I swam thirty minutes as well. If I could give up my habit of going to Hanson concerts I could afford a bike and do a triatholon. But that is so not happening. I'm off to take my son to the Grinch now, and tonight I'm going to a Hanson concert. I also have upcoming tickets to shows on Dec 9th and May 2019. Hope everyone has a great Sunday! And most of all if your a Vet, hope today is special.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    At the moment, eastern Canada.

23. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Oh well that explains it.

24. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    A runner overtook me the other day. I'm not fast and I don't push myself, but boy is it depressing when something like that happens.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    “Slow runners make fast runners look good. You’re welcome.”

I’ve seen that on a shirt and considered buying it.