main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympic thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316 , Oct 24, 2017.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's the IOC's fault, I believe.

They won't cover insurance for the players, since the NHLPA doesn't apply in this scenario...

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Hey Slowpoke do you think NHL players should've been able to participate this year? I haven't heard your opinion on it.

3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I wonder how did the players think about it.

I would absolutely be pissed off if I couldn't represent my country in the most important national tournament, they took out my chance to be a hero to be known by so many ppl who usually don't watch hockey!.

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    According to John Feinstein, it's the NHL owners for money reasons.

Canada's Jocelyne Larocque apologises for removing silver medal on podium
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jocelyne Lamoureux-Davidson’s deke was so savage it has a name, ‘Oops, I did it again’:

yankee8255 and Pensivia like this.
  5. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    That goal was so beautiful and shocking.

6. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    yeah, i liked the little chart they showed breaking down the state of their rivalry over the course of the season, and the reminder of big ladies' figure skating rivalries of the past.

I personally preferred Medvedeva's routine, but of course they were both stellar. I loved the little detail of how Medvedeva's skate ended with the train sound evoking the suicide of Anna Karenina (the character she was portraying in her program).

^yes...that was so sad...I kept yelling out "oh no!" each time she fell. There was one fall where it looked like she almost couldn't continue (emotionally), but she did such a great job in pressing on and finishing the program. I can't imagine the pressure and heartbreak of that situation as you realize that everything you've worked for is falling apart in real time with millions of people watching. But hopefully she can take some comfort in the grit she showed at not quitting and completing some of her later elements.

I really liked Canadian Kaetlyn Osmond's skating, especially her short program (skating to Edith Piaf![face_love]).

[​IMG]
    I'm not sure but I think she was not favored to medal (?), so congrats to her for the "surprise" bronze!

Edit: I also really enjoyed Kaori Sakamoto's free skate; I thought her movements had a particularly lovely, delicate quality:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Since the Russian are so dominating in the ice hockey for so long and remained a strong team after USSR was gone. How come they don't have strong women hockey team?

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012

So they are going to be honored in a NHL game?

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  11. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Why do I feel like this guy could be a JCF'er?:p

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Oh, they have a Women's Ice Hockey Team... but this games lost the bronze medal to Finland. And for Sochi... they didn't make it out of Quarterfinals. So this games they were actually stronger than last games. And remember, to qualify for the Olympic Games in Ice Hockey, one has to do, well: (from Wikipedia) "The top five teams in the World Ranking received automatic berths into the Olympics, South Korea has received an automatic berth as host, and all other member nations had an opportunity to qualify for the remaining two spots." Those top five teams were/are for this games: United States, Canada, Finland, Russia, and Sweden. Bare in mind that only eight teams competed on the women's side, but there are 36 that can compete... (This is a really technical answer. Hee.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_at_the_2018_Winter_Olympics_–_Women's_qualification

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    accidental double post... [face_blush]

14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Just asking, is the 2004 Miracle movie and the 1981 TV movie worth watching compare to the actual game?

15. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Ester Ledecka pulled off her incredible double: after stunning the skiing world with her SuperG win, she took gold in her actual specialty, snowboard parallel. Absolutely incredible.

solojones likes this.
  16. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Did anyone else stay up to watch the Gold Medal Curling Game? Tried to post during, but...

Phenomenally fun to watch

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I made it as far as the 5th end and recorded the rest. Just finished, and holy crap we were pumped in that 8th end... amazing...

DarthIntegral likes this.
  18. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    See. I was smart. I set am alarm clock to wake me up ten minutes before the match. That eighth end though. Yeah. Wonderful to watch.

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    That curling match, so freaking awesome.

dp4m likes this.
  20. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Ester Ledecka >>>>>>>>>>>> anyone else at the Olympics, especially the janitor sport people.

21. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Bunch of ordinary, average guys winning gold in the curling. Love it.

DaenaBenjen42 and Juliet316 like this.
  22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I did see Ester Ledecka's snowboarding gold last night, and must say that was crazy, getting gold in both snowboarding and skiing somehow.

Pensivia likes this.
  23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Double post, so I will just say mass start was very fun to watch.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Pensivia likes this.
  24. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    ^yeah, the mass start race was cool. I don't remember seeing that in earlier Olympics (?)

25. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Because it' new this Olympic cycle.